Submitted by SlappingOysters 2361d ago | article

2008: The Year Xbox takes Control of the RPG

Lionhead Studios, Square Enix, Bethesda, Mistwalker and more join in on this developer roundtable at Gameplayer regarding the state of the RPG. The Xbox 360 looking like the superior format for the genre in 2008. (Aliens, Blue Dragon, Culture, Fable 2, Fallout 3, Lost Odyssey, Too Human, Xbox 360)

Alternative Sources
« 1 2 3 4 »
sonarus  +   2361d ago
its actually quite surprising considering the typical 360 owner is seen as a simple shooter lover. PS3 only has one strong ps3 game coming out this yr(assuming FF13 doesn't make it) and thats white knight story. This game looks crazy awesome. Wonder how good valkyire of the battlefield will be.
ruibing  +   2361d ago
Geez this article makes it look like all those companies are making RPG exclusives for the 360.

If we look at the JRPG exclusives, 360's lead on RPG is evident from Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia. Then again Level 5 has had solid hits since Dragon Quest VIII, so I am looking forward to White Knight Chronicles. It's funny how they are kind of opposite to Mystwalker. They had a terrible experience with MS and has refused to work with them since, and their game has been praised for its unique gameplays. If they can just improve the storyline of their games, they would become the perfect developer.

360 fans will have Tales of Vesperia to look forward to, and it should be awesome if it's anything like Tales of Abyss. I am not going to praise Blue Dragon at all, that game almost turned me completely away from JRPGs for awhile. PS3 fans will get Eternal Sonata finally, White Knight Chronicles, Disgaea 3, and Valkyrie Chronicles. A nice balance of strategy, humor, game play, and story across the board.
#1.1 (Edited 2361d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(13) | Report | Reply
Dannagar  +   2361d ago
It's my understanding that Hironobu Sakaguchi and Mistwalker are working on "Cry On" and an untitled MMORPG for Xbox 360 as well.
#1.2 (Edited 2361d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Hatchetforce  +   2361d ago
PS3 has only 1 strong game this year? You need to rephrase that before any more people die laughing at you.
SlappingOysters  +   2361d ago
But they are all on X360
which is the point. Exclusivity doesn't really matter in this argument since the games are appearing on PC as well, not PS3 as well... I would have thought.

I think the X360 has the big name RPGs of 2008, I think there will be plenty of smaller (in profile) gems on PS3.

Then again I have both consoles so I'm in the money regardless.
wageslave  +   2361d ago
The Xbox 360 is already has a better library of JRPG offerings at present.

In 2008 we have Infinite Undiscovery(triAce!), Last Remnant, Dynasty Warriors 6, Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey and others.

And the WRPGs; Too Human, Fable 2(!), Age of Conan, Champions Online, Elveon, Rise of the Argonauts, Sacred 2 : Fallen Angel, Viking: Battle for Asgard and others.

This notion that Xbox 360 is just shooters needs to pay better attention to the sales and the metacritic scores for the entire library.

Xbox 360 is the home of *gamers*.
GUNS N SWORDS  +   2361d ago
hmmmmm strange logic (sonarus)
and i thought ps3 owners like 3rd person stile games more, but they still keep saying that nothing can top kill zone 2, haze, and residence, like there the best games in the world.
#1.6 (Edited 2361d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
Palodios  +   2361d ago
That list isn't as great as it sounds.

First of all, Dynasty Warriors is not an rpg. You may be thinking of Romance of the three kingdoms? Either way, not exclusive, nor is Last Remant, Fallout, Viking, argonauts and probably not tales.

The only jrpg exclusives I see here are LO and IU. LO has been hailed by all as pretty but mediocre, as was blue dragon. IU may turn out good, but I haven't seen enough of it yet.

I'm a big rpg fan, east and west, but Disgaea and White Knight Story seem much better than the stuff coming out on the 360, and besides Fable and Too human (which are most likely coming out in 2009 anyway) that's a pretty ugly cluster of C-list wrpgs. If the reviews prove me wrong, great, but none of them show any sort of innovation or are really striking in any way.
#1.7 (Edited 2361d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(16) | Report | Reply
sonarus  +   2361d ago
lol yea it was a mistake but i figured everyone would be smart enough to see that. Meant to say ps3 has only one strong RPG this yr
DevastationEve  +   2361d ago
i strongly disagree Palodios
disgaea3 has REALLY got nothing, not even comparable to blue dragon.

white knight does looks like good title for the ps3 but it doesn't look like a hard hitting contender against 360's line up.
#1.9 (Edited 2361d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(12) | Report | Reply
Palodios  +   2361d ago
Disgaea has some of the best gameplay of any jrpg, period. If the generation-old graphics are what you don't like, then fine, but realize that gameplay is what most jrpg fans like. Graphics are good too, but not everything. By all means I'm not saying you're wrong, disgaea may not sell exceptionally well, and it may not be the end all be all game, but it plays like a good game should.

Since I'm talking about mediocre games with bad graphics, I'd like to add Mist of Chaos and Valkryie of the Battlefield, coming out for the Ps3, both rpgs, both a bit shabby on the graphics side.
#1.10 (Edited 2361d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
DevastationEve  +   2361d ago
uh.......
i once found my self in a ps3 section vouching for blue dragon about graphics in a swarm sony fanatics, now someone seeks to do the same for Disgaea3 ?

fine, i hold no grudges over the mater, you won't find any sony fanatic saying the same thing about blue dragon.
#1.11 (Edited 2361d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Palodios  +   2361d ago
What does that have to do with me? Just because I own a ps3 and like gameplay makes me a sony fanatic? Mass Effect was the best rpg of 2007, hands down, and I really look forward to Infinite Undiscovery.

I have no problems with Blue Dragon's graphics, personally. A good rpg is a good rpg no matter what it looks like. my problem with BD is that its nothing special, nothing new. When Sakaguchi made FF1, he was a visionary, but with this, he has become generic. Which, as I said earlier, is why I'm really anxious to see what he does when he gets more ambitious. I guess you could refute my arguement by saying that disgaea repeated the formula of its predecessors, but atleast its different from the masses.
GUNS N SWORDS  +   2361d ago
i was an ex ps1 and ps2 owner and i can tell you
gamers of that era never concerned them selves with graphics, now that people have already got the sats on the ps3, owners of that console seem to act quite the opposite, ignoring any competition in terms of graphics( which is really annoying )

and for a game like DISGAEA 3 to be on there with little visual upgrades as it has, and with little to all most none talking about the mater is SHEER hypocrisy.
#1.13 (Edited 2361d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
foodbox  +   2361d ago
@1.13
There is no end to the amount of hypocrisy you will find here on N4G. The graphics only go so far to make a game great. New, creative and exciting *situations* is what does it for me.

Lost Odyssey is busting out in that department. It really is a stand-out game. I can't recommend it enough.
cherrypie  +   2361d ago
The "typical" Xbox 360 owner has proven to be the avid-gamer. That's the user base.
GUNS N SWORDS  +   2361d ago
YO And As For Lost Odyssey.....IT'S THE FVCKING BOMB
MID DISC 3 AND ENJOYING EVERY HOUR OF IT.

GO JANSEN!!!!!!!

HIT THOSE B!TCHES!!!!!
#1.16 (Edited 2361d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Chuck Norris  +   2361d ago
As far as I'm concerned, the best RPGs of 2007 all belonged to Sony. Persona 3, Okami, and Odin Sphere.
Richdad  +   2361d ago
List is not that great
It may seem so since the big budget RPG's on 360's are WRPG. Block buster JRPG's like FF are focussing more on PS and WII may be there choice or naything.
But I must tell you WRPG's are changing there was less made earlier but now lot of WRPG's are coming. Also there are lot of people sauing that either JRPG is better or WRPG but anyways good game is all you need, one might be new to might but try should be given to reach any decision. But anyways yeah 360's RPGs are increasing and never expected them in so much numbers also JRPG market is also created in 360 after Lost Odyssey.
Hatchetforce  +   2358d ago
No PSN or Gamertags displayed means you do not have bothe consoles...
pwnmaster3000   2361d ago | Spam
Spike47  +   2361d ago
Well
I think that although the xbox360 brings more rpgs the Ps3 has less rpgs but they are more promising.

But overall I have to admit the xbox360 does offer more in that genre.

However I would take final fantasy 13 and final fantsay versus 13 over any xbox360 rpgs any day.

Look at what happened in 2007, folklore got a 9 from ign while blue dragon and army of two and eternal sonata got lower scores.

And lets not forget rpgs on the ps3 like white knight story.
PeeboDaKilla  +   2361d ago
army of two is an rpg??
wageslave  +   2361d ago
For the life of me. I cannot understand this "FF over all else idea".

triAce, who has arguably made the best series of RPGs of the last 5 years is making Infinite Undiscovery exclusively for Xbox 360.

Square Enix, who is responsible for FF itself, is making Last Remnant for PS3 & Xbox 360*

Sakaguchi San, who is responsible for FF itself, has made Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and two more Xbox 360 exclusives.

For the life of me, there is no logical belief that FF will be better than *all three* of these games.

It is FF in name only (no Sakaguchi), SE is also making another big JRPG, and triAce has an intact team that was responsible for Star Ocean doing an exclusive Xbox 360 game.

There is NO reason an Xbox 360 owner should really care about FF now that SE is making Last Remnant and Sakaguchi-san has left.

*I'm predicting that LR will be the best SE-developed game of the year. And that presumes FF releases this year.

SE has more to loose if Last Remnant sells poorly or recievd poorly than FF considering the 18Million+ Xbox 360 owners and the only 9M PS3s in the world.
fallfast  +   2361d ago
wageslave
It pains me to say it, but I think you are right.

I just hope Squeenix doesnt screw us over with a half-assed FF. But, i can see it coming.
Palodios  +   2361d ago
Its true that Sakaguchi created Final Fantasy. However, SE has some great talent, Yoshinori Kitase, Nomura, as well as freelance work by Amano and Uematsu for example. One man doesn't create the final fantasys of today, hundreds do. Sakaguchi isn't quite as ambitious with his new team yet, that's why he's stayed with the basics in his games so far and hasn't tried anything new. Cry On will rock, if it stops imitating and starts innovating.
cherrypie  +   2361d ago
bubbles for 3.2
I came here to say the same thing -- bubbles for you wageslave.
robbo918  +   2360d ago
Wageslave
Problem is you had a good point but for me ruined it with your fanboy comment that had this in it..."considering the 18Million+ Xbox 360 owners and the only 9M PS3s in the world."

You have X360 at 18 Mil+ but where is your proof? You keep PS3 at only 9 million and again...where are you getting this? You want to slam VG Chartz because they don't favor your theories but they often are close at least and tend to inflate X360 numbers while deflating PS3's. NPD is reliable to a degree (though it still isn't perfect). If you use VG Chartz you cheated PS3 out of 1.5 million (and technically according to NPD vs VG the PS3 was cheated by nearly 500k on VG, so you could say you cheated them out of 2 million.). Also according to VG you rounded X360 up by several hundred thousand.

Anyway, good post without that part.
toughNAME  +   2361d ago
...the only thing worse would be JRPG
ktchong  +   2361d ago
Only applies to Western RPGs
PS3 still has lotsa Japanese RPGs. Prolly still more than what Xbox 360 has.

On the other hand, PS3 has absolutely no exclusive *Western* RPG. Nothing. Nada. Nothing currently nor in the pipeline. I'm sure all the Sony fanboys would like to disagree - but can they name one EXCLUSIVE Western RPGs on the PS3 (or the entire PlayStation family for that matter)? Western RPG is a genre that PS3 has completely overlooked and/or ignored.

Western RPG is a big gap and weakness in what the PS3 can offer -- and I know for a fact that many gamers stay away from the PS3 simply because the system lacks the one genre that cater to certain segment of hardcore gamers who specialize in playing Western RPGs.

Xbox 360 has exclusive Western RPG studios like BioWare and Lionhead, as well as exclusive Western RPG titles/franchises like Too Human and KOTOR. That's a problem for the PS3, more or less.
#5 (Edited 2361d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(12) | Report | Reply
InYourMom  +   2361d ago
What JRPGS
are on the PS3 right now?? Folklore??

I don't agree with that statement at all.
meepmoopmeep  +   2361d ago
i agree that the ps3 is in dire need of more exclusive WRPG's. i hope sony keeps the PS well rounded in genres... it looks like the industry just wants to pump out FPS games lately.
ktchong  +   2361d ago
I don't know what JRPG is out right now
I don't know if the PS3 has any JRPG right now. Many JRPGs never make to the West, so I wouldn't discount that PS3 might have some JRPGs we haven't heard of.

I don't really care about JRPGs anyway. It's a genre that I don't like, and I certainly won't buy a console just to play the genre that I don't like (i.e., Final Fantasy XIII). I've tried playing various incarnations of Final Fantasy -- and they have never retained my attention nor interest for too long. Just don't like JRPGs in general.

On the other hand, I pay attention to Western RPGs. And I know FOR A FACT that the PS3 has ZERO exclusive Western RPGs right now or in the future. If you think I'm wrong, then name me ONE exclusive Western RPGs that are on the PS3 but not Xbox 360 -- either right now or in production.

But you can't -- so you disagree but you can't back it up.

C'mon, name just ONE. ONE exclusive Western RPG on the PS3 -- now or in the future. Just name ONE.
#5.3 (Edited 2361d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
meepmoopmeep  +   2361d ago
the PS3 doesn't have many JRPG's.

Enchanted Arms is decent but multi-platform
Folklore isn't really an JRPG' or RPG for that matter

so RPG fans on the PS3 don't have much to play until later on this year and beyond, but the ones that are coming are worth waiting for imo.

now where the h*ll is Eternal Sonata for PS3!!!
wageslave  +   2361d ago
"it looks like the industry just wants to pump out FPS games lately."

That's not the case for Xbox 360 owners. Sorry.
SlappingOysters  +   2361d ago
Any News
on a new Shadow Hearts - that was a great PS2 RPG series that seemed to fall down the cracks.
Harry190  +   2361d ago
should be in
the works right now.it was
a superb addition to the genre.ps:
quantity does not mean quality.
Boldy  +   2361d ago
Xbox 360 has really been changing it's image of genres. I hardly hear people saying "all the 360 has are FPS's" anymore. That could be because I usually tend to avoid the flame bait articles now-a-days.
#7 (Edited 2361d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
Boldy  +   2361d ago
Microsoft must be aggressively targeting the RPG audience with their "The Best RPG's are on the Xbox 360" campaign. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/c...
Big Jim  +   2361d ago
The PS3 was supposed to be the RPG system, and the 360 was supposed to be the FPS system, but it looks like 2008 is going to be the other way around. What happened?
xsteinbachx  +   2361d ago
The ice caps are melting, but on a serious note who knows waiting for another price drop for microsoft, and maybe ill finish the Halo series, and possibly KOTOR3 ... or i'll wait till it comes on my PC.
Eldyraen  +   2361d ago
Nice observation. I think its all about expanding their audience and trying to pull in the other console's dominant playerbase (fine by me, I own both and healthy competition is always a good thing).

I like both console's line-ups for different reasons (PS3 for FPS, 360 for RPGs, both will see fantastic multiplatform titles, and a handful of exclusives each for misc genres).
jiinn  +   2361d ago
"and the 360 was supposed to be the FPS system"

I never thought that. MGS is the only PS3 shooter worth being excited for. Xbox 360 has far too many *RPGs releasing soon to count.
Willio  +   2361d ago
Dont count out Socom from the PSN. that seriously looks impressive.
meepmoopmeep  +   2361d ago
it's good that the xbox is trying to shake the 'shooter platform' label. they still need to invest in more JRPG's. WRPG's are just as good.
wow4u  +   2361d ago
The "shooter-only" label was solidly shaken in 2007.
green  +   2361d ago
well variety is the spice of life.
07 - fps
08 - rpg's
09 - mmo's :champions online,huxley and APB
#11 (Edited 2361d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
candystop  +   2361d ago
Yeah but what about RTS games coming to 360 and now XNA games?Thats 2 more generes not found on any other console! The 360 lineup and future line up is very well rounded!
wow4u  +   2361d ago
@11.1

Their are a swarm of RTS for Xbox 360 in 2008.

Supreme Commander has a 86/100 on Metacritic for a console-based RTS? Thats awesome.

Universe at War: Earth Assault has 77/100 on Metacritic for a console-based RTS? Thats very good.

Then we are going to get Halo Wars from Ensemble Studios (Age of Empires devs). Which will probably end up the best reviewed RTS *ever* on a Console (Ensemble is the king of RTS).

Civilization Revolution (multiplat), Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath and Operation Darkness (a "tactical RPG" RTS/RPG hybrid) yet to come.

I believe 2008 will do for RTS what Halo did for FPS on Consoles. No one will doubt that the Xbox 360 really "broke" RTS onto the console industry.
cherrypie  +   2361d ago
Champions Online is just a re-branded Marvel Universe online. I dont think they'll push it back just to change the textures.

Im thinking Champions will still make it this year.

Huxley is was just pushed back to Q3 2008. It shouldnt be a problem for 2008.
InYourMom  +   2361d ago
Rather funny..
since everyone loves to say the 360 is a shooter console. Yes, they are the most popular genre but the 360 has more variety than the PS3 or Wii at this point. I'm sure the PS3 will be better as time goes on but so far this gen the 360 has had the most flava.
jiinn  +   2361d ago
*SHOOTERS* are the most popular genre accross the gaming industry.
Alcaponeyou  +   2361d ago
eats food
splatters all over laptop screen, lOL
08 and beyond, xbox won't take control of anything
like in 07 when it got pwned
ambientFLIER  +   2361d ago
Lol, surely you're talking about the POS3 being owned in 2007, aren't you?
Alcaponeyou  +   2361d ago
yea like how
the ps3 outsold the xbotplzfixme in 07?
HIghlarryoussssss

har har har
you've been owned by Alcaponeyou.
fallfast  +   2361d ago
man, we dont need you to tell us about your lunch.
Ariexv  +   2360d ago
@Alcaponeyou
Sorry, But unless you're counting "Shipped" then the 360 beat the Ps3 in 2007 by around 200,000 units, that's WITH the Ps3 having a massive $200 price drop and it being the best Blu-ray player.
-EvoAnubis-  +   2361d ago
Sounds about right.
The PS2 didn't really have any hard hitting RPGs until its third year either. They're on schedule.
jiinn  +   2361d ago
I didnt buy an PS3 so I can *wait*. I want it to do something other than Fold@home for my $600.
MrWonderful  +   2361d ago
well we all know that namco bandi jrpgs will come to the ps3. as much as i would like mistwalker on ps3 i dont see it happening. beside the ps3 has a slew of rpgs coming so no worries for me because i can enjoy all rpgs on both consoles
ForROME  +   2361d ago
Only because of time does it offer more, so give the PS3 the same amount of time and you will see more, and better RPGs both plot and graphic wise
foodbox  +   2361d ago
You're saying we should wait?
I think the patience with Sony is pretty much run its course. Enough of the promises. No more delays, push-backs, promises and shortcomings.

They're a couple months past my patience.
Raspinudo  +   2361d ago
360+Generic RPGs= Continuing the crapfest
I just died from laughter..

heres my post from b3yond (company line,,lol) the grave
360 has two goods American style rpgs fable 2 and mass effect..
Lost Odyssey , BD, and Eternal Sonata Are crappy generic JRPGs

360 Just cant compete in japan.. it gets outsold by everything this gen in JAP

Ps3 on the other hand has the cream of the crop RPGs
-FFXIII
-VERSUS
-White Knight Chronicles
-Star Ocean

call me a fanboy but the facts dont lie
Ariexv  +   2361d ago
You can't really claim WKS is the "creme of the crop" yet, since you really haven't seen much of it, Also it's looking more and more like the next Star Ocean will be a 360 exclusive considering the team has only 1 listed game that they're working on and it's listed as a 360 game. So you pretty much have

WKS
FFXIII
Versus

vs
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Eternal Sonata
Tales of Vesperia
Cry On
Infinite undiscovery
New Star Ocean

*Yes I know Eternal Sonata will be coming to the Ps3 as well..... but there's also the rumor it will only be on Ps3 in Japan, not the U.S.

And as for RPGs the 360 has no competition really in WRPGs

vs

?????????
#17.1 (Edited 2361d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(12) | Report | Reply
Alcaponeyou  +   2361d ago
what's funny is
that FFXiiiandversus
will own all those put together
fallfast  +   2361d ago
If Dragon Age (from BioWare(!)) comes to Xbox 360, Im selling this PS3, and getting an Elite.
sabbath420  +   2360d ago
you know why right?
The Japs despise America, Americans and all we the think, make, or ideas we have. The japs think we Americans are not disciplined enough to afford the ps3. The japs are to self righteous to want anything we have as Americans.
Ariexv  +   2360d ago
Dragonage most likely will be a 360 exclusive, and as for FFXIII/Versus beating out all those combined..... you do realize KoTor is higher rated overall then ANY FF game ever right? Also the Final Fantasy games have pretty much been in a decline since 7 anyways.

Go ahead check http://www.gamerankings.com... and do RPG.
Gothdom  +   2361d ago
for Xbox to take control of RPGs...
it would have to have great RPGs. I mean, they aren't bad, but they aren't spectacular neither. If MS could pull something better than whatever Square-Enix can come up with, maybe...

but until then, it's still not enough for me to care about the 360.
foodbox  +   2361d ago
Why is it up to MS? They have partners...
Square is doing 2 JRPGs for Xbox 360. Square is doing 2 JRPGs for PS3.
WIIIS1  +   2361d ago
Between PS3 and 360, 360 is taking control of almost all genres of games. Driving, JRPGs, WRPGS, Fighting, Casual, Sports, Shooters, Arcade - 360 has done much better in all these genre. PS3 has better hack and slash games. Apart from that, PS3 fans are just waiting for that 1 big title to be released to justify the console - rather foolish in my view.

Wii on the other hand has created their own flavor of games with almost no competition in that department.
pwnmaster3000   2361d ago | Offensive
SlappingOysters  +   2361d ago
PS3 wins (or at least will) on adventure games (discounting the Wii)

As for driving and shooting, the X360 wins for me until I can get a rumble enable PS3 controller, cause those genres suck without it.

RTS and MMO (when it finally launches) will tend X360 because of the PC link.
Covenant  +   2361d ago
I wouldn't say "takes control." That sounds like there will be no competition--and there will be.

But "finally gives RPG-loving Xbox 360 owners a slew of great RPGs to play?"

Yeah, I'd say that.
wow4u  +   2361d ago
Excuse me? Can you please tell us what WRPG or JRPG non Xbox 360 owners are playing?

I'd say that JRPG & WRPG players are clearly on Xbox 360.
Covenant  +   2361d ago
I think you misunderstood me.

I'm not saying that the 360 currently has a lot of RPG competition; outside of Folklore and Oblivion, there's not a lot on the PS3, and really almost nothing on the Wii. 360 owners currently have Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, and Oblivion, to name a few, though there's not a lot beyond that.

What I'm saying is that while the 360 has a great batch of upcoming RPGs, both Western and Japanese, the PS3 will have its fair share too, including White Knight Story, FFXIII, FF: Versus, and Valkyria Chronicles, to name a few.
ktchong  +   2361d ago
Covenant: "... and really almost nothing on the Wii."
The currently highest rated JRPG of this generation is on the Wii: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Fire Emblem and Dragon Quest Sword are also JRPGs.
Darkiewonder  +   2361d ago
when 360 had the JRPGs
from Mistwalker, it sure didn't make a dent in sales. Just like Eternal Sonata. It did well. How well? Did it even reach other 500k in sales? Or is it more "WE have the games, buy our systems. We don't care about the sales as long as you know we have the game that will fit your needs".

Microsoft has a hold on Mistwalker. and the JRPG that comes from Namco bandai? We have the game on the 360 for a good bit but we'll port it over to pretend everyone should play the game but we just need the money.

Let's not mix up WRPG With JRPG now ;o I'm just saying.
#21 (Edited 2361d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
kewlkat007  +   2361d ago
Whether it was the "Year head start" or the "Ease of Programming" for the
Xbox 360 console, we can't deny they have had more J/WRpgs release and more probably in development.

Also the Xbox brand is trying to diversify itself in only it's 2nd Generation Machine. I do admit Shooters seem to do well on the console but looking at the Original Xbox, you gotta give some credit to MS, in trying to bring other games/franchises, other then shooters to the Xbox name.

Looking at the PS3 you would think otherwise, especially with the onslaught of Shooters that are praised towards the end last year and in 2008. Resistance(1st to i million), Haze, UT3, KZ2..etc

As I own all the consoles and love RPGs, the trend I seem to see, is, A lot of PS3 fan just waiting for 1 BIG game in most Genres. While bashing or having less/no interest in anything that is not Final Fantasy, Grand Turismo 5, Tekken Series or Metal Gear Solid in their names. These games have been big for Sony in the past but that's all some ever praise. If it's not made by Square(I don't want anything to do with it, I'm only buying FF13...grr).

Good thing I broke that cycle.

Plenty of games don't match up to "10+ year franchises" but does not mean they are not good in any way or deserve some play. On the Article: MS has been doing a great job, covering all genres. With respect to, trying to gain a stronger foothold in Japan, we are seeing more Jrpgs being pushed. Nothing wrong with that.

Lost Odyssey - Level 32 - 38Hrs in - 3rd disc(Loving it)
#22 (Edited 2361d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
player911  +   2361d ago
I just finished the first disc. And Lost Odyssey is a sweet game. I'm a HUGE Final Fantasy fan... and aside from the name, you would never know the difference. I've played just about every Final Fantasy game and Lost Odyssey is better then most.

I don't think it'll beat FF7, but nothing prolly will IMO. I can tell you that Lost Odyssey is better then FF8, FF10, and FF12.
wow4u  +   2361d ago
Final Fantasy *is* only a name. The talent has left, and is at Mistwalker.

The story of FF isnt a single narrative. It's not like FFXII is an addition to an existing story. It is a totally new game, and Final Fantasy in name only.

It has equal opportunity to be a great game as Last Remnant(!). There is no reason to think otherwise.

Listen, I said it above, but I'll be more bold here, I believe that Square Enix is going to spend more time and effort on Last Remnant.

Why? Because of the INSTALL BASE. They cannot put all their eggs in the FF basket -- they'll loose money(!).

They can afford to have a bigger budget on Last Remnant.
foodbox  +   2361d ago
I'm very suspiscious of some of the lowest reviews for Lost Odyssey. Im playing it, and it clearly doesnt deserve those low scores.

The JRPG is a unique genre, its not everyone's cup of tea. Perhaps they put the wrong reviewer (someone who just hates JRPG) on the review.

Im going to be very curious to watcht the JRPG scores on PS3 from some of those sites.

I believe the lower score is simply that the JRPG doesnt "translate" to the Western type gamer.
xboxrumble  +   2361d ago
@ foodbox, well what Jrpg, consistantly get 9-10 besides the FF franchise?
not much..really

That's because square is the standard. every thing else must be crap or not worth.
#22.4 (Edited 2361d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Matsuiichi  +   2361d ago
I've always been under the impression that Xbox 360 is a shooter console. I can never see it as anything else, so I think they should stop trying, and just make nothing but shooters for it.

If they have good RPGs, good for them! But it won't change the fact that the console is known mostly for shooters, and nothing else gets the same ratings. But nothing moves Xbox systems except shooters.

Opinions? You won't hurt my feelings. :P
Covenant  +   2361d ago
Well, as someone else has already pointed out in this thread, both the PS3 and 360 are trying to diversify their gaming lineups beyond their usual array of expected games. PS3 is adding more shooters (Killzone 2, Resistance 2, for example), while MS is bringing more RPGs to the 360, something the original Xbox sorely lacked.

That will bring a greater diversity of gamers to both consoles.

The solid sales of Lost Odyssey (and, to a lesser extent, Blue Dragon) and the anticipation around Fable 2 prove that if done right, RPGs, even JRPGs, have a place on an American console.

BTW, I'm not one of your disagrees.
wow4u  +   2361d ago
The only people saying "Xbox 360 is a shooter-only console" is an idiot, a liar or ignorant.

So, take it elsewhere -->
SlappingOysters  +   2361d ago
Worth Noting
In Oz, where this article is from, we get very few of the JRPGs - they just never come out, or come out so far after their initial release they are outdated on arrival.

Is this similar for you yanks and poms?
poopface1  +   2361d ago
what is a pom
brittish or something.
GETPWNZORED  +   2361d ago
"The Xbox 360 looking like the superior format for the genre in 2008"
More like for EVERY genre... God, it feels good to be a nonfanboy.
Leathersoup  +   2361d ago
I'll admit that there have been quite a few RPGs released for the Xbox but were they all quality games?

I only played Mass Effect and Oblivion and loved both of them. I don't enjoy JRPGs enough to be able to say whether or not they were well made.
foodbox  +   2361d ago
Are they really quality?
Yes, yes they are. You only need look at the reviews. And sales.

You have to look at how well the Xbox 360 RPG (W&J) library compares to the other consoles.

That should point pretty clearly at Xbox 360.
Fux4Bux  +   2361d ago
Yep well its pretty funny considering JRPGs have been a dying breed since the Playstation1 era and that prettymuch goes completely against what Xbox fans would expect. My guess is PS3 steals a lot of former Xbox fans this year with a wave of shooter exclusives and emphasis on online gaming. And JRPG fans will own a PS3 anyways for what it has coming.
Leathersoup  +   2361d ago
heh
The only way PS3 is stealing me is when I can buy GT5 (not Prologue) and dual shock controllers :)
IntelligentAj  +   2361d ago
Even i've got to admit this seems like a pretty good list of games for the 360. How will they sell though? I'm still mad at some of the reviews that Lost Odyssey got, which I thought was a pretty good game. Hopefully i'll be able to play more Jrp's on the 360 with these titles coming out.
fallfast  +   2361d ago
All I know is that Square and Sony better not fcuking delay Final Fantasy again or Im selling this damn $600 dust collector.

And MGS better be good, and not like the last one.
grilledgorlupa8  +   2361d ago
dude
just sell it if your unhappy with it. Nobody is telling you to keep it but yourself. If you think its just a dust collector than o well for you
Milky  +   2361d ago
Its funny. The majority of 360 owners bought a 360 for FPS/3rd person shooters NOT for WRPGs or RTS. What are they going to do with all these RPGs/RTS ? MS have not thought it through. They think they will gain owners but will lose just as many or more.
saprano  +   2361d ago
ummm
2 of those are also on ps3, the last remanent and fallout3......as for the rest? they look ok.......the ps3 will still be the king of rpg's though.
#30 (Edited 2361d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(10) | Report | Reply
« 1 2 3 4 »

Atsuto Uchida joins Messi on the FIFA 15 cover for Japan

4m ago - Atsuto Uchida will join Messi on the FIFA 15 cover for Japan, that will be on the stores at Octob... | PC

The Ensign Review | Game Mob

5m ago - The Ensign, which is deemed as the official prequel, carries a simple visual “appeal” as A Dark R... | iPhone

The Witcher Battle Arena Gets Trailer, Closed Beta

29m ago - The first official gameplay trailer for the upcoming MOBA, The Witcher Battle Arena has been rele... | iPhone

Interstellar Marines Beta Gameplay Video

50m ago - Skewed and Reviewed have posted some gameplay video from the beta version of Interstellar Marines... | PC

Win a Titan One from N4G and ConsoleTuner!

Now - We're giving away three Titan Ones from ConsoleTuner (original inventors of the Cronus and CronusMAX)! The Titan One device makes modded controller... | Promoted post

Divinity: Original Sin Review - The Refined Geek

55m ago - Divinity: Original Sin fails to live up to the hype that it generated with numerous issues plagui... | PC