Submitted by Mobius1Engaged 509d ago | opinion piece

Crystal Dynamics deserves an apology from gamers for hasty Tomb Raider 'controversy'

There are some very talented game designers out there who are attempting to dig this hobby out of the childish stigma it was born into, and it’s sickening that Crystal Dynamics had to be ostracized over expanding this medium into more mature territory. (Culture, Industry, PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

TimNunes  +   509d ago
This game was such a great experience. The industry would be so much better if every character could feel as human and realistic as this rendition of Lara Croft is.

Old Lara can fade to black, now that we have another Lara that makes everyone grow as a person instead of cheaply appeal to a subliminal likeness.
MasterCornholio  +   509d ago
So i guess its a reboot done right.

Ninja Theory take notes.
LightSamus  +   509d ago
Really? Still? Even though DmC was released and it received positive critical acclaim from pretty much everyone you're still going to claim Ninja Theory can't get it right?

Just let it die.
Reverent  +   509d ago
@LightSamux, well... As far as sales go, the game did flop, so...
knowyourstuff  +   509d ago
DMC had good gameplay, and a stupid, skinny, weakling character that no one could relate to, so nobody bought it.

Lara is also an overly skinny girl who looks like she can't lift 10 pounds much less perform the unbelievable physical feats in Tomb Raider. That's where the controversy should have been, everything else was drivel from trolling gaming press fishing for hits on their sites.
finbars75  +   509d ago
I concur with you on that one.What they have done with this franchise is absolute genius and a breath of fresh air.Its going to be nice to see the old Lara fade away so we can experience somehting new and more adventurous.I love the old TombRaiders but it got stale for a while there.Thank you CrystalDynamics for doing us proud.
JokesOnYou  +   509d ago
Say what?
Much to do about nothing, its a great game, CD isn't waiting for apologies they'll simply be grateful for the critical and financial success the game is receiving. Is it just me or are most of the news posts on n4g written about regurgitated non-stories that have been posted on n4g in the past, most of which only n4g folks like to rant over and over again while the real world moves on and just enjoys games.
#1.3 (Edited 509d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
MaideninBlack  +   509d ago | Well said
"Crystal Dynamics deserves an apology from gamers for hasty Tomb Raider 'controversy"'?
I must have missed it but I thought it was "gaming journalists" that sensationalized one scene in the game and not gamers. Not initially, anyway.
#2 (Edited 509d ago ) | Agree(41) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   509d ago
You're right, it was the gaming journalist's sensationalism not the gamers.
Still I'm sure one million copies in sales in just a few days is apology enough.
Mounce  +   509d ago
It was Journalists And Femminazi's of all calibers. Especially if both of them were combined, the mouth of an upset female journalist who were too blinded by a feministic perspective that they could not see the potential the mere scene had in a sense of character development rather than emotive input of being 'Offended' for borderline irrational 'reasons'.
Mocat  +   509d ago
Oh snap
Megaton  +   508d ago
Yep. Bloggers and feminazis perpetrated the "controversy". Gamers defended CD.
Root  +   509d ago
The ones who complained about it weren't really gamers though were they.....they were probably just people who saw the trailer and wanted to hate on video games.

Either that or those silly feminists, who b**** and moan over such little things
#3 (Edited 509d ago ) | Agree(16) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
MaideninBlack  +   509d ago
Double post.
#4 (Edited 509d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Genuine-User  +   509d ago
I agree.
This game is fantastic in my opinion.
parkerpeters  +   509d ago
This game is an amazing experience and a worthy successor to the franchise. Controversy comes with the territory, and it is a shame that such lame rumors get started by "journalists" and adopted by the public.
Darth Gamer  +   509d ago
This game is a gem to play. Whether your an old Tomb Raider fan such as myself who has played them all or someone new to the franchise, this is a game that sets the bar high and I hope the developers are praised for it. Crystal Dynamics have breathed new life into a franchise that even I have to admit was beginning to turn stale. Lara is back and in stunning fashion and I personally am enjoying the hell out of this new game.

Look out for WarThunder"s incoming post and his mindless bashing about how Uncharted is better and Drake is king and everything is sub par and mediocre, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. Don't by into it. If you have not played Tomb Raider, you owe it to yourself to play this game and to finally support a developer worthy of praise for pushing the boundaries.
parkerpeters  +   509d ago
I would say the franchise went stale at Tomb Raider 4. But your statement is no less true. This game is just amazing, and leaps and bounds above the next best entry, Legend.
betan21  +   509d ago
The game was great i loved it.I want more ugh.
#8 (Edited 509d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
porter470  +   509d ago
I think gamer's with certain NVIDIA card's deserves an apology, just saying.
parkerpeters  +   509d ago
I think it is kind of funny that Nvidia cards, which are the preferred cards for Tressfx, have a hard time with the game that introduced Tressfx. I have an AMD card, and have no trouble with the game at all.

But yes, it is a shame that the quality control didn't catch these problems... Probably due to insufficient testing.
aliengmr  +   509d ago
You mean the Tressfx that was developed by AMD? Not quite sure where you got that Nvidia cards were preferred.

porter470 is right, there are some issues that have to be addressed for Nvidia users.
jollygoodchap8  +   509d ago
Love this game so far...Hope to see more of this quality in the future
HeavenlySnipes  +   509d ago
Great game

I hope for the sequel they do a better job writing the script. They wrote it like a very long movie script so the characters behaved so cliche. Video game writing needs to be more drawn out so we can see the characters personalities come out

That and a few animation additions and corrections (you can jump up to edge of a platform you can traverse on, but you can't grab the ledge and climb up, you have to walk around, and some fixes to the cover system)

Overall its a fantastic game. Lots of open areas, combat on the hardest difficulty isn't relenting but it is a formidable challenge, the gameplay evolves over time, and the quicktime events (I personally wouldn't have made all of them end in pressing Y) aren't stale and add to the experience

I will say that the "Uncharted moments" where everything is blowing up and you must run and jump through crumbling architecture happens to often.
TekoIie  +   509d ago
I absolutely loved this game all the way through! Definitely a contender for GOTY. But there is a reason why there was controversy for this:

"But maybe a written apology is over the top. After all, I should thank the overreaction, since it was through that hellstorm that I became interested in the new vision of Lara Croft in the first place."

This is what should be completely obvious. The scene was put out of context... On PURPOSE... to drum up controversy and publicity. Its no different to the No Russian level of MW2 or the Taliban being in MoH.
#12 (Edited 509d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Blastoise  +   509d ago
No they don't
aliengmr  +   509d ago
I'll wait for Nvidia fixes first.

EDIT: Patch out full screen issues fixed.

Sorry for doubting nixxes:P
#14 (Edited 509d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Blacklash93  +   509d ago
Myabe it was just me, but it seemed the gaming media was making a bigger deal of this than common gamers themselves.

I don't know what people expected failing the QTE to do. "You got raped. GAME OVER!" doesn't sound like something that would happen. People thought it out way too hastily.
pandaboy  +   509d ago
I'm sick of everyone jerking off over this game
stage88  +   509d ago
I agree, I was playing it today and have yet to go 'Wow' at anything.
In fact, it's quite boring, I'm just playing it to get to the end.
MysticStrummer  +   509d ago
Why is it that some games get attacked by gamers for straying too far from what made them great, while other games get praised for it? As an old school TR fan, I have no interest in this game. I already have 3 Uncharted games, but I haven't played anything like those old TRs since the last TR title on PS1.
KaBaW  +   509d ago
Depends on the game, I'd say. Also, if the game is a reboot or a sequel.
Games like Fallout, which changed a whole helluva lot, turned out great.
But, when you go and talk about Dragon Age, which was a direct sequel..
They changed it in such a way that it coulda been called differently.

Iduno. I guess it just depends. :)
Depends on the changes, that were made.
#17.1 (Edited 509d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SilentNegotiator  +   509d ago
Such white knight dribble. Defending rape as a "transforming" tool (No rape/Assault victim will ever call the traumatic event a "transformative tool"), ranting about women being depicted in skampy clothing (only sexist when done to women, not bodybuilders in loincloths), blah blah blah.

Crystal Dynamics is playing some of these people like cards. Point out how "progressive" your game is at every turn and feminazis and white knights do the rest.

If they swapped Laura out with her old model (but exact same story/gameplay), not even half of the noise would have been generated for this game.
KillrateOmega  +   509d ago
People just like to complain and start shit :P

The game is great and the 1 million copies sold in under 48 hours speaks for itself.
SaturdayNightBeaver  +   509d ago
morons u can compare old TR games with this.. its beyond retarded
yeiuoisdf   509d ago | Spam
jmac53  +   509d ago
Or how about the fact that some "gamers" out there need to actually grow a pair and quit complaining about insignificant things.
jakmckratos  +   509d ago
THis game has been epic so far to me. I don't necessarily love everything about it but it is such a well-made game...def the first top contender for GOTY for me. I can;t wait to see what Crystal Dynamics does next. Either a sequel or new IP they can count on my interest!
zoks310  +   508d ago
The game is good, but too much like uncharted 3 where you are constantly being interrupted by qte, and cut scenes. When the game does give you a chance to actually play it is fun.
squallcloud9  +   508d ago
A danger to creative freedom is right. Im really glad that CD didnt change the game. They should tackle final fantasy next, with square enix acting as uninterfering publisher.
Indo  +   508d ago
Rebooting a franchise is such a hard task. Just because theirs so much expectations to live up to, but Crystal Dynamics did great. Its the fact they took the risk and it payed off in the end and gave Tomb Raider life again.
Orionsangel  +   508d ago
People need to stop comparing it to Uncharted. This is Tomb Raider and this reboot gets it right. Uncharted is more of a National Treasure style game. TR games are about raiding Tombs and Catacombs, but I will say this, the new TR steps up the combat and yeah it borrows from UC, but in a lot ways did it better, just my imo.

People who find TR boring are the childish morons who just like to shoot things and rush through games. No appreciation for anything. Thank God I'm still fascinated by Video Games and can appreciate games.
#27 (Edited 508d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
N311V  +   508d ago
It's hard not to compare the two given the similarities. I'm really enjoying TR, in my mind its a hard game to fault. However, the story in TR hasn't been as engaging as Uncharted's for me, still really good but not quite on the same level. I guess that's the price paid for a more open game. On the other hand I'm really enjoying the light RPG elements and exploitation in TR so it's hard to decide which of the two games I like more. If I had to decide I'd say TR comes a very very close second to Uncharted. Can't wait for the next installment of both games. Good times :)

Assassin's Creed: Unity - Preview [GamingLives]

22m ago - GamingLives takes a look at Assassin's Creed: Unity: "There is also more of a focus on dynamic... | PC

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller – Game of the Year Edition Now Available

23m ago - Phoenix Online Studios is celebrating the great success, as well as its wonderful community suppo... | PC

Bravely Second screenshots/art

23m ago - Square Enix released new screenshots and art from Bravely Second. | 3DS

Top 10 Fixes for Defiance PC Crashes, Errors, Glyph Log in, Characters Lost, Server Timeout, Email

40m ago - Here are 10 popular errors, bugs, and crashes for the Defiance PC Game along with their correspon... | PC

IndieMonth: Final Phase

Now - IndieMonth is indie-ing. I mean ending. Maybe both. Today is the last day, and it's a doozy! | Promoted post

Naruto Storm Revolution: Sakura and Kakashi Screenshots Part 3