Submitted by Menashe 874d ago | opinion piece

EA Has An Axe to Grind With Nintendo, Snubs Wii U Again and Again

NE:

When Nintendo announced the Wii U in 2011, EA immediately came off as its strongest advocate. Riccitiello talked of an “unprecedented partnership”, and EA execs constantly talked up the console in the months that followed, sharing their excitement with the world, saying the Wii U was real next-gen and not transitional. There were reports that EA was helping Nintendo with its online infrastructure.

Then came rumors that the Wii U would use EA’s Origin as its online platform. That of course didn’t materialize, and incidentally neither did that unprecedented partnership. (EA, Nintendo, Wii U)

MNGamer-N  +   874d ago
OMG what am I going to do without ANOTHER Madden??? My life will be ruined
Persistantthug  +   874d ago
I agree, Wii U owners don't really have to worry about not getting yearly sport franchises
But the problem is, is that it's carrying over to EA's other games as well (Dead Space 3, Crysis 3).

I'm curious about Battlefield 4, though.
mcstorm  +   874d ago
I agree. It will be interesting to see what happens with EA and Nintendo but we know they have a history and quite a bad one to. But I would like to see some of the games like BF, ME ect on the WiiU because looking at what has been done with NFS MW shows it can have some impressive looking games to.

If they don't bring BF ect out for the WiiU ill just have to pick them up on the next Xbox or PS4.
Cam977  +   874d ago
Excuse me but would you happen to know when BF4 is due to launch? Was it Fall 2013? If yes then we're up for a jam-packed E3!
MikeMyers  +   874d ago
I wouldn't expect Battlefield 4 on the Wii U. I wonder if a lot of this has to do with Nintendo's online network. We all know EA likes to have full control of their games and maybe Nintendo's online service isn't something EA likes. I'm also worried about the PS4 and next Xbox and what exactly they will do in restricting access to used games and DRM. If SimCity is any indication going forward be very afraid.

Nintendo may also have issues going forward as developers start to ramp up development on the new consoles coming. The Wii U may not handle them like we saw on the Wii. Also a lot of 3rd party developers, including EA, struggled on the Wii.
#1.1.3 (Edited 874d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report
Mounce  +   874d ago
Only an ignorant sob would pretend that EA doesn't have a good arsenal of game IP's, whether people dislike, hate, or feel neutral about EA's methods or otherwise.

As if EA only has a bloody Sports Section or that it's their primary source of income. They have a lot of studios and developers under them and am sure EA will deliver a lot of delicious games in the next generation of consoles. Hopefully more new IP's like the ones they had created that we Had or have come to enjoy. (Had being on if they weren't made, then milked a lot thereafter)
fatstarr  +   873d ago
I'm sorry but if it wasn't on a Nintendo console to begin with they shouldn't expect a massive cup of support from the fan base

We Nintendo fans can live without crysis and dead space 3 (unless it was a limited port it would be a waste) its not gonna sell more than 250k Nintendo gamers evolved in gaming choices after being snubbed over the last 10 years

Just because it sells on the HD twins and the next gen twins won't mean it will sell on a Nintendo plat. There's no need for over saturation in a two console era. Only an idiot buys the ssame game twice or 3 times.

Real console exclusivity needs to come back

Bf4 will not sell well on the wiiu especially when selling well is defined as selling millions of copies.
#1.1.5 (Edited 873d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
Ulf  +   874d ago
Yeah, wow. I agree.
Wii U owners should definitely not be allowed to get the latest sports titles, or anything else core gamers on those lame other systems people like to spend a few moments with, while not attending to their Wii U.

Mario and Zelda is all Wii U owners need, right?

/s
aiBreeze   874d ago | Trolling | show
a_adji  +   874d ago
Ain't that he F-ing truth. If they took origin they would be on nineties dick hard.

Oh we'll business is business and personal is EA just like Apple and Flash by Adobe
Mathew9R   874d ago | Spam
PopRocks359  +   874d ago
For all of the issues I acknowledge Nintendo has had with their online infrastructure (and continue to have with the Wii U) I can personally infer that had Wii U been running Origin, I'd have been the first person to jump ship completely. A Nintendo system running Origin exclusively is a no-go for me.

If EA is really that bitter then I'm fine continuing not to buy their products. There were few exceptions of course, like the Mass Effect games, but I've always purchased those games used. I don't intend to ever give a cent to EA unless they have a massive business restructuring.

So please continue EA; please continue your anti-consumer tactics, continue using detrimentally useless DRM, continue releasing dysfunctional games that don't work, keep sending huge franchises and developers to the grave and keep half-assing your support of what is currently my favorite game console. You're only saving me money.
#4 (Edited 874d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
2EHO  +   874d ago
I expect them to give us all the games but the games will be gimped ports, missing features, and overpriced. That's what EA will do so they can say hey we supported the console and look at these numbers showing nintendo gamers don't support third party. BS! We aren't idiots we aren't going to shell out 60 for a gimped game. Look at NFSMW:U the developers took the time to make sure the port suited the console and took advantage of the hardware and iv heard lots of gamers saying its a must buy and they will support it. Come on developers don't let EA punk you into trashing the Wii U with wasted ports.
iwin86  +   874d ago
It seems some of you don't remember that it was the lack of EA sport games that killed the dreamcast. even on the wii FIFA games sold well enough to keep them going.
deafdani  +   874d ago
Are you telling me that EA's sport games were one of the biggest reasons the Wii did well?

Because, well, that's just, like, complete news for me, man.
#6.1 (Edited 874d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
ozzywazzy  +   874d ago
The butthurt is strong with nintendo boys today. I'll continue enjoying the hell out of FIFA and BF4 thanks. Also it's a win win! They no longer would have to invest in porting for a weak ass system so they could potentially only focus on the real next gen systems. We're all winners in this situation.
PopRocks359  +   874d ago
So basically you're going to continue supporting a copy/paste soccer series and a FPS that recently decided its best strategy was to try and outdo Call of Duty.

*slow clap*

You must feel so accomplished. I'll stick to my PC, my PS3 and Wii U and play new games as well as some imaginative franchises, such as Jak, Zelda and Oddworld.
#7.1 (Edited 874d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
paul1974  +   874d ago
knob
Kevlar009  +   874d ago
My guess is EA wanted to have Origin take precedent over Nintendo Network when Nintendo said "No, here's our infrastructure, you have to abide by our rules, our system". And remember how protective Nintendo is of their license.

Look at how Battlefield 3 wasn't made available for Steam. "EA has claimed that Steam has added a 'set of restrictive terms of service' that limits how the company can provide patches and other content. 'No other download service has adopted these practices,' EA explained" (From Arstechnica. Nintendo might have pulled a Valve on EA, and in retaliation is staying away from the WiiU.

This is just theory, seeing how EA went from praising the WiiU to blasting it. I don't know how EA is with Next-gen Sony and MS, but my belief is that EA wanted to put a hand into Nintendo's business, and they said "no, you're going to do it our way".
Ck1x  +   874d ago
Well we know this is false when it comes to the Nintendo Network. Many of the Indie developers have come out and stated how Nintendo is not restricting how many patches a company can make, or the size of such content and they aren't charging for patches like other companies do. So my guess is that EA wanted more royalties or something per console sold and a Powered by Origin logo on every system box and game cover. This spells Greed!
#8.1 (Edited 874d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Nevers0ft  +   874d ago
I just don't think they could ever see eye to eye on something like this. Although both companies are obviously there to make money, the business ethos behind the two companies is vastly different.
profgerbik  +   874d ago

Remember when Sony created the first disc player to be used for Nintendo devices? Then Sony decided they didn't want Nintendo to use it and instead created the PS1. Nintendo was pissed, then had to make their own which really didn't even sell on the N64.

Most people probably don't even know what I am talking about but I remember.

Now what if Nintendo had did the same, instead EA had helped Nintendo build a better online infrastructure which they never really had before and EA expected Nintendo to return the gratitude for helping them by using their Origin service.

Now what if Nintendo was like screw that we learned enough and just kicked EA to the curb at the point after they helped them enough.

Now this may not have happened but if the rumors of EA actually helping to build Nintendo's online infrastructure to be better was true then I can see why EA might be a little pissed for helping them while getting nothing in return in the same way Nintendo helped Sony but Sony didn't end up letting them use their disc technology.

So basically EA could have made Nintendo's Wii U online experience what it even is today yet Nintendo didn't want to have to much to do with EA after that which I am sure upset them and possibly led to them not having a good partnership.

I know all the Nintendo fans will hate me for saying that but Nintendo has never been good at online. If you have played Nintendo systems and are a fan of them that is something you just cannot deny really. They were always far behind and even were quoted saying at some point online is not important..

So I personally don't know what to think. I don't like EA don't get me wrong but if they did really help build Nintendo's online to what it is, then I can somewhat understand I guess why they would want them to use Origin if they honestly helped that much with Nintendo.
#9 (Edited 874d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
Dread  +   874d ago
Maybe I am wrong, and I am no Sony fanboy, but i thought it was nintendo who screwed Sony over back then, and basically forced Sony to make the Playstaiton 1, big mistake for nintendo at the time, and inadvertently placed Sony on the gaming market map.
Realplaya  +   874d ago
@ dread and profgerblk actually sony offered nintendo the disc technology but they wanted a huge cut nintendo said no sony said ok then they used it to create there own system and the rest was history.
Qrphe  +   874d ago
Back then, what Nintendo did was highly disapproved of in Japanese society.
We probably won't have any facts to back up who "screwed over who" but we do know the effect it had on the Japanese business world.
GenericNameHere  +   874d ago
"I am not making excuses for EA but is it possibly Nintendo tried to pull a Sony..?

Most people probably don't even know what I am talking about but I remember."

Yeah, no wonder most people probably don't even know what you're talking about. You completely changed it. It was Nintendo that backstabbed Sony, which caused Sony great shame and humiliation, but from it created the PS1.
Ck1x  +   874d ago
Actually you couldn't be more wrong about what happened back then. Yes Nintendo went to Sony to have them produce a CD drive for the SNES, but the deal fell through when Sony wanted a portion of Nintendo's royalties on every game sold! (Which is Nintendo's bread and butter.) The good thing is that Playstation may not exist in the same form today had it not been for this falling out. But you really can't blame Nintendo for not parting with what keeps them afloat and this deal gone south with EA isn't exactly the same thing here as the Sony venture was.
MegaLagann  +   874d ago
Everything about this post makes my brain hurt. I thought Nintendo screwed over Sony and then the PS1 was created. But maybe Marty McFly messed up the timeline again.
#9.3 (Edited 874d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
CouldHaveYelledUiiW  +   874d ago
Good points at ProfGerbik "Interesting"Bubble- UP

Even though I think the people below you are right- Your GREATER point is still valid no matter who screwed over who (Sony vs. Nintendo).

Nintendo backed out of the deal because they had too much money invested in CARTRIDGES.
They had also discovered neat trick they could do with Cartridges like:

-Starfox's (Super NES) FX Chip that allowed Polygons and not Sprites

-the Extra Memory that was added to N64.

-They had also found some amazing new Compression technologies.

Later, they made carts rumble packs in them, Gyroscopes in them, Light and Dark sensors...
Most of this was on the Handheld Carts.

Ultimately, CD- Now DVDs- to Blue Ray were found to be way more useful and cheaper. Sony was right, even though M64 and Z:0oT amazed.

ANYWAY-

I hope that Nintendo did not steal from EA.
I know Nintendo was not always right in the past but under Iwata that has changed.

I just hope that EA and Nintendo make-up cause this is a big deal.
Sports Titles are all that some people buy.

If you really want to change EA's mind start buy 2K Titles to make EA regret their decision.
iwin86  +   874d ago
By the way: At least EA put some effort into the Wii U development: Need for Speed looks amazing on the Wii U.

And why put all the hate on EA ? Konami (MGS Rising), Square (Tomb Raider), Take2 (Bioshock Infinite) or Capcom (DmC) show also no interest in the Wii U.
BanBrother  +   874d ago
At least EA are still bitter and charging full price for it. I'm actually surprised Criterion have lifted their game. I was watching old videos of Xbox vs PS2 games, and the Criterion games always looked as if they wanted both to be even, when one console was significantly more powerful than the other.

So, I am surprised they took the time to improve the Wii U version.
herbs  +   874d ago
Sony and Nintendo had a close relationship back in the day. Sony developed the way ahead of its time sound chip for the snes and after that they joined forces and created the PS1 TOGETHER which originally was an add on for the snes. Right before release Nintendo realized the deal was they would only make profit on the hardware they helped create but would get completely screwed over when it came to game sales because of Sonys rights to there new format the Laser Disc. In a strange last minute stand Nintendo made a sketchy under the table deal with Philips to create CDi basically the worst console ever built. Why exactly this happened and who screwed over who is up for debate. Genericnamehere's poor explanation of what happened between Sony and Nintendo was based on assumption and lacking so I though I would elaborate.
#11 (Edited 874d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
AdvanceWarsSgt  +   874d ago
I know Nintendo needs 3rd party support, but they're honestly better off without EA support. No excuses for the other 3rd parties though.
HG_69   874d ago | Spam
Ck1x  +   874d ago
In the end I think it came down to EA wanting to monetize the Nintendo network and Nintendo wanting it to be free! Offering great DLC is one thing, but charging a fee to people just to play online is ridiculous really. Now if you are offering something premium on top of the service like Sony does with PS+, then that would make sense. But its not a requirement to enjoy the online service at all...
HalfNerdHalfAmazing  +   874d ago
Is like I said before EA is all about the money the only reason EA is not supporting the Wii u is simply because the Wii u is not selling that well.
PopRocks359  +   874d ago
Their support was half-assed before it even launched. What are you talking about?
lema008  +   874d ago
EA saying they wouldn't support Dreamcast back in the days, eventually turn me off to there sport games.
I begin playing 2K sports and haven't look back since. 2K NFL is longer around because of EA exculsive agreement with the NFL which made it more popular.
Also back then(1999) secretly hoping they would be a thorn in EA side.:)

Magic Duels available now on Xbox One for free

11m ago - Neil writes "Want a free game? Magic Duels is available now on Xbox One and gives you the chance... | Xbox One

Kyn Review | Entertainment Buddha

1h ago - EB: "Compared to so many small studio projects, Kyn is audacious and ambitious. Developer Tangrin... | PC

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition (XB1) Review

Now - Ken revisits the fourth entry in the saga of Dante (and Nero). | Promoted post

Super Mario Maker Is Nintendo’s Secret Weapon

1h ago - How utilizing the huge amiibo market can help unlock the potential of Nintendo’s new Super Mario... | Wii U

Terraria Heading To Wii U And 3DS Early Next Year

1h ago - "505 Games and Re-Logic are proud to be able to finally - and officially - confirm that Terraria... | Wii U

15 Minutes of Fame: Party Hard – It’s Too Hard

1h ago - EB: In the latest episode of 15 Minutes of Fame I take on Party Hard from Pinokl, which is a tact... | PC