Try our new beta! Click here
Submitted by Outsider-G 997d ago | news

God of War: Ascension Can Be Cleared In 8 Hours, Says Famitsu

One of the initial reviews for God of War: Ascension has been published in this week’s issue of Famitsu and according to details shared in the publication,the single player mode for Ascension can be cleared in 8 hours. (God of War: Ascension, PS3)

Y_5150  +   998d ago
Ezio2048  +   997d ago
hell yes! XD
crxss  +   997d ago
8 sounds about right. i can see speed runs going ~4 or ~5 by skipping the cutscenes and roll canceling the entire way. roll canceling is the only way i play gow games now.
#1.1.1 (Edited 997d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(18) | Report
aCasualGamer  +   997d ago
If it "can be cleared in 8 hours", then it probably means the average player will get 10-11 hours of God of War goodness. I'm game.
wastedcells  +   997d ago
They always say that about GOW games and they always take longer. 10 plus guaranteed. Who runs thu a GOW game anyways.
gta2800  +   997d ago
I don't play games based on how much time it's gonna kill for me. I play games looking for an awesome experience...No doubt I will be getting that with Ascension. God of War 3 was epic!

Oh, and on a sidenote...after logging in tons of hours on the Ascension beta...I'm actually looking forward to the online more than the campaign mode. Can't wait till Tuesday!
hulk_bash1987  +   997d ago
That's what people were saying about Revengence's campaign but it took me a good 10-11 hrs on hard. Damn that last boss, so much controller throwing frustration. Anyways, I can't wait for Ascension, 5 more days and counting.
user7693958  +   997d ago
I hope is as easy to plat as GOD3 was..
GOW3 had the perfect timing. not for nothing it's the best of it class..
I can't wait to see what SM are doing for the PS4!!

I will love a new demons souls by them or a new action rpg game with the GOW brutality gameplay pace..
andibandit  +   997d ago
Isn't Demon Souls developed by From Software???
user7693958  +   997d ago
the Demon souls ip is owned by Sony..
witch is why Dark Souls exist
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   997d ago
I don't know how anyone can find God Of War games easy to plat. I always struggle with the challenge of the gods, it's the only thing stopping me from platting (if that's a word) all of the first 3 games.
It's that damn timer! so frustrating lol
#1.3.3 (Edited 997d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report
jahcure  +   997d ago
I have a platinum in every single GOW game :-p

they aren't easy but they certainly are not mind wreckinly hard either
admiralvic  +   997d ago
@ HarryMasonHerpDerp

When you compare God of War (which is a VERY simple and easy to get into game with minimal depth) to Ninja Gaiden (save 3) / Devil May Cry (save DmC) / Metal Gear Rising / Bayonetta and game of the like, it's VERY easy to platinum.

Here's some simple math to give you an idea... *

Beat Ninja Gaiden 2 on Normal

27.32% obtain rate. NG 2 has JUST under 68,000 people tracked, so it's not like we're going off a few people not interested enough to play / beat the game.

GoW 1 Platinum - 25.67%
GoW 2 Platinum - 29.89% (this isn't even including people that didn't replay for the glitched trophy, which glitched on me in cycle 2 too, so it's all I need to platinum.)
GoW 3 Platinum - 20.91%
GoW Chains - 42.78%
GoW Ghost - 42.92%

Not saying that God of War (any of them) is a joke to pull off, but when your platinum is on roughly on par with beating another game in the genre's normal mode, I certainly wouldn't consider it difficult in any right. I can also tell you from experience, I had less issues doing ALL of the Challenges of the Gods from 1 - 3 (check my trophies, I did them all...) than beating VR mission 18 in Metal Gear Rising. (I got 1st in all of them, which you can also verify if you want)

* all numbers are based off Yourgamercards stats at the time of posting.
user7693958  +   997d ago
wow what's the hate in here?
When i say easy i meant you had to play and finish the game twice without so much complicated drama on doing silly things to win a trophy..
Difficulty is not a obstacle for me since I'm a avid gamer.
GOW3 has some very harsh levels to win.. i never said I had a easy time.. I actually enjoy a good challenge and GOD has that..
well I got my opy pre ordered and glad that I will get what i hope is a TLOU online demo!!
Outsider-G  +   997d ago
One player has beat the game and he said it took him 7 hours, 42 minutes, Normal difficulty.

#1.4 (Edited 997d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
HBK619  +   997d ago
The original has a trophy for beating the game in 5 hours. If they're insinuating that 8 hours is short, then they're way off.

I also recently completed God of War 3 in 7 hours 45 minutes(again after the first time took 10 hours).
#1.5 (Edited 997d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
yeahokchief  +   997d ago
Sounds good to me. I don't have a lot of free time right now. Short and sweet it is!
LOGICWINS  +   998d ago
So thats like 10-12 hours on Hard Mode for me. Perfect length for a hack n slash game that also has a New Game Plus mode along with an MP suite.
Outsider-G  +   997d ago
I agree, 10-12 hours on hard seems about right for me as well. I wonder what changes will be on NG+.

EDIT: Also with the MP & Trials of the Gods, all God of War fans will put a lot of hours into it with there friends.
#2.1 (Edited 997d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
LOGICWINS  +   997d ago
I'm assuming Ascension will also have a Challenge of the Gods mode, harder unlockable difficulties, AND trophies to tackle. Anyone getting the game Day 1 is sure to get their $60 worth.

EDIT: And THEN you have the Last of Us demo. So much value here :)
#2.1.1 (Edited 997d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(2) | Report
Skips  +   997d ago
COOP looks so FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Seems like it'll have trial to see how long you'll last against Hercules. LOL @ the end.

He'll be doing to us, what Kratos did to him. XD
#2.1.2 (Edited 997d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(0) | Report
The_Infected  +   997d ago
Is it local coop or just online coop?
Outsider-G  +   997d ago
Only online co-op

#2.1.4 (Edited 997d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report
E2S  +   997d ago
there's a last of us demo? Hot damn!
Outsider-G  +   997d ago
Yup, there is :) but it won't be available until April 18.

HarryMasonHerpderp  +   997d ago
People forget that reviewers tend to rush through the game as well. Where as we tend to stop and explore and take are time with it since we paid $60/£40 for it haha.
admiralvic  +   997d ago
I wouldn't say that makes the claim less valid or even has a point. God of War was never a game with a lot of area to explore or "super hidden" secrets. I recall having no issues finding all the eyes / feathers in previous games, which were typically around a corner or opposite direction of the objective. This reminds me a LOT of the people saying the SAME thing about Rising, which were ultimately proven wrong.

A run with a lot of exploration / looking around was only 5 - 7 hours, where as a speed run could be done in under 2. The same is also true with GoW, which has a "speed run" trophy for 5 hours, which most people got from natural play. Even if you didn't, it was completely possible to rush through the game in under 3 hours if you wanted.

My point is that you can't write off what they say because "they're a reviewer", since you really have no clue how they went about playing. For all you know they finished it in 3 hours and added some time for looking around / playing poorly. Wouldn't be the first time and not like I haven't seen reviews go the complete opposite (who actually did a 25 hour cycle on inFAMOUS 2?).
GribbleGrunger  +   997d ago
10 - 12 hours on 'easy' for me.
Godchild1020  +   998d ago
So, it will take me about 12 or so hours to complete the game on Hard. Plus it's GOW, so it will have replay value. They said Metal Gear Rising would take 5 hours and it took me longer than that.

You play single player titles to enjoy the story, not to rush through it. I wonder what level did the reviewer play on.
#3 (Edited 998d ago ) | Agree(16) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
SAE  +   997d ago
Yea. MGR is amazing. Advice all people to buy it if they really want a fun hack and slash game. Im gonna buy god of war but in my opinion i enjoyed MGR more then any god of war game.
360ICE  +   998d ago
8 hours seems to be the standard these days. I usually spend some time dying and respawning, so hey, not bad.
T2  +   997d ago
Ya I always wondered what the point of stating game time its all pretty standard ... Only notable if its like 20 hours plus ( final fantasy)) or like 4 hours which would be pathetic
SonyNGP  +   997d ago
Can't wait for my copy today :D
WeAreLegion  +   997d ago
I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hufandpuf  +   997d ago

They are also the ones that claimed the multiplayer wouldn't detract from the singleplayer because it's a "SONY" game, yet 8 hours is really short compared to previous GOW titles. However, Sony fans will deny deny deny.

I don't ever want to hear you guys talk shit about any other game with a less than 10 hour game length.
Godchild1020  +   997d ago
I don't know who you are referring to, but GOW3 was about the same length as GOWA if played on the easy or normal difficulty, so the MP in Ascension didn't detract from the SP length.

If you played the demo or the beta, you would know they are both solid attributes to the game and neither one detracts or makes the other bad additions.

EDIT@ Below, Hufandpuf. You can argue all you want, but if you played the game on easy or normal, you could beat the game within 8 or so hours. And second of all, you don't even know if the reviewer consider cut secnes in the total or what difficulty he/she played on.

I guess it depends. I don't really want a linear hack and slash title to be too long, but long enough to keep my attention and provide a great story without it dragging along. So, I think anything between 8 to 12 hours is good enough for me. The story length can be the same, as long as the story is deeper and the combat has changed for the better and that is what the demo of Ascension has shown me.
#7.1 (Edited 997d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Hufandpuf  +   997d ago
I'd argue that GOW3 was longer. And what about GOW1&2 surely those weren't 8 hours long.

And in your experience if GOW3 was 8 hours long would it not be an improvement if the sequel was longer?
Rainstorm81  +   997d ago
@ huf

There is a trophy for beating GoW 1 in under 5 hours and Gow2 is about 8-10 hours.....Soooo yeah, it's on par with the entire series

BTW: that's without any MP modes and Uncharted 2 showed that multiplayer can be introduced into a single player centric game successfully .
#7.1.2 (Edited 997d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(2) | Report
smashcrashbash  +   997d ago
I think this site has more people complaining about Sony fanboys more then the amount of Sony fanboys people claim there are.Besides I am not sure what you are talking about.GOW 2 took me about that amount of time on normal mode and longer on harder modes.In fact that was about the length of GOW3 if I remember right.They were all approximately around the same length give or take about a half hour or so. Except maybe the first one
#7.3 (Edited 997d ago ) | Agree(17) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
DigitalAnalog  +   997d ago
"As always the hypocritical PS fanboys defend one game while at the same time bash another game that has the same length. "

Could you please point out an example? How come I have not heard of this considering all 3 Uncharted games are of the same length?
#7.4 (Edited 997d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Skips  +   997d ago
"yet 8 hours is really short compared to previous GOW titles." LMFAO!!!!!

Both GOW 1 and 3 took around 9 hour and 30 min on an AVERAGE PLAY THROUGH.

Metal Gear Rising took like 6 hours on average play through.

If famitsu says it CAN be beat in 8 hours. This is like saying it's a speed run. (Remember when people said MGR COULD be beat in under 5 hours?) I'm guessing an AVERAGE play through for Ascension will probably be around the same as GOW1 and 3. It's basically splitting hairs buddy.
#7.5 (Edited 997d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
admiralvic  +   997d ago
I wouldn't trust that data...

You have 56 people for Rising vs the at least 51,000+ people tracked on trophy sites. I wouldn't say you could call a pooling of 56 people enough to accurately track any game.

The same goes for God of War, since it wasn't hard to waste time trying to figure out a puzzle or anything of the like. Also 59,992 / 224,242 have the trophy for beating 1 in under 5 hours (going off Yourgamercard), so I find the average a little suspect. Especially when plenty of people on trophy sites posted proof of doing it in under 3 hours.
Godchild1020  +   997d ago
Here is a link to the message boards on IGN, that show how long it took some people to beat the game (GOW3) on Normal through Titan mode.

As you can see, it took some 8 to 14 hours and it depended on difficulty. And there is one comment that sticks out, "I plowed through in just under 8. I had limited time and I didn't explore (

Makes me think the reviewer didn't either.
#7.6 (Edited 997d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
DivineAssault  +   997d ago
hmmm.. I love GOW so i have to let this slide
fsfsxii  +   997d ago
Bad move bro!
iMaim  +   997d ago
That's perfect. I wouldn't want a God of War game to run more than 10 hours anyways.
nevin1  +   997d ago
I never pay full price for single play games.

So $20-$30 for 8-10hrs is okay.

And yes I played the beta and yes I couldn't get into it.
#10 (Edited 997d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(21) | Report | Reply
shotgun_ps3  +   997d ago
It can be completed in 8 hours. And I'm probably going to play through it at least 5 times. So that's 40 hours worth on gaming. I'm in!
Blaze929  +   997d ago
why would you play through it, '5' times?
#11.1 (Edited 997d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
first1NFANTRY  +   997d ago
because of missed trophies and overall replay value duh...
shotgun_ps3  +   997d ago
Because God of War games are some of the most epic, well controlled, paced and gorgeous games I have ever played and they make me smile oh so much.
Blaze929  +   997d ago
that would take, FIVE playthroughs minimum huh? I'm the biggest God of War fan to the next guy but c'mon - can't be real with that. And people agreeing are kidding themselves.
neoMAXMLC  +   997d ago
Then you are not the biggest God of War fan. I've probably beaten God of War 3 at least 5 times. I've also beaten Uncharted 2 at least 5 times. If the campaign is THAT good then why wouldn't you want to play it over and over again? It would be just like watching the same movie ten thousand times because of how good it was.
PRHB HYBRiiD  +   997d ago
8 hours of pure epicness.
sandman224  +   997d ago
That's plenty of game play. And let's not forget about the multiplayer!
StreetsofRage  +   997d ago
More than enough time for me. So if the average gamer will beat it in 8 hours, that means I'll beat it in 6 hours because I'm a stud like that.
ziggurcat  +   997d ago
the problem with this X game can be completed in X amount of time is that it's often on the easiest difficulty level and/or ignoring any of the collectibles (and let's face it, you don't have to engage every single enemy in the game).

obviously you're going to blow through any game if you've set it up to not give you ny sort of challenge.
#15 (Edited 997d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
yaz288  +   997d ago
are those 8 hours worth it? thats all I need to know and I don't give fuck fuck about the length..
IRetrouk  +   997d ago
So you dont give 2 fu#ks about playlength? Lol Same here to be honest, as long as its as good as 3 i dont mind, it always takes me longer anyway by the time i look at everything and find all the hidden stuff.
strigoi814  +   997d ago
well i never finished a God of War game on one day anyway..for me this game will be played 1-2 hours a day depends on the difficulty + 8 hours of work..and 12 hours of normal life(this includes taking a bath, eating, sleeping, going out with the girlfriend and exercise..)lolz

i cant understand why some people have to speed run a game and finish it fast... playing video games is not a contest..its enjoying every experience..
#17 (Edited 997d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Bathyj  +   997d ago
I don't get it. Is this supposed to be bad?
SDF Repellent  +   997d ago
Good, I can rent this game and play it in one setting on a weekend. Can't wait.
Count  +   997d ago
The smart thing to do.

LOGICWINS  +   997d ago
Sure thats another option too. I'll be buying it though cause I plan on spending a lot of time on the MP
fsfsxii  +   997d ago
People don't understand!
It says that it can be beaten in 8 hours if you know everything about the game, from puzzles to how fast you defeat the bosses
So it takes about 13 hours
pandaboy  +   997d ago
uggh thats way too long for a hack and slash. 2 - 3 hours max would be the sweet spot.
Drainage  +   997d ago
lmao more like 1-2 hours max .
csreynolds  +   997d ago
That's cool - God of War 3 took me about eight hours the first time through, and it was awesome from start to finish.
g-nome  +   997d ago
And Dark Souls can be cleared in about 1 hour , but it took me 100 hours.
dc1  +   997d ago
Took me 240+ hours to plat DS.
....the sweat tears and.. deaths were awesome!

Regarding GOW:
8-12 hours feels right. I'm looking forward to it.
plaZeHD  +   997d ago
In other words people really tries too hard to down talk God Of War games. Same thing said about God Of War 3 at release, but at in reality it took me forever to finish the game on Titan Mode. If they are playing on Spartan Mode, it should take them 8-11 hours, but come on who the f*** plays a God Of War game on the easiest difficult mode.
Here is the God Of War 3 article
#23 (Edited 997d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
UnSelf  +   997d ago
I always only hear about ppl talkin about Titan mode. Am I the only person in the universe who's beaten dis game on Chaos?
fsfsxii  +   997d ago
People already assumed that its short
Famitsu said that it can be beaten in 8 hours IF you know everything about the game, 8 hours is just the length of the game, plus, i'll start my walkthrough on HARD!!!!
So it should take longer
gninja92  +   997d ago
8 hours aint nothing. 8 hours is not a long campaign. thats weekend playthrough. gow 3 was supposed to be 10 hours. it toom e on my first run through 7 1/2 hours. so if this is 8 hours. it will take me more like. 6. which GOW1 was a good 6 hours. honestly after 3 years developing i expected more than 6 hours.
Ghost_Sparta  +   997d ago
...and Dark Souls can be finished in 30 minutes from some expert guys, and I finished my 1st new game in 78 hours!!!! What's the point????? I don't like to rush my games, so I´m pretty sure I will finish this game in 11-12 hours! I´m sure that will be worth every minute!!!!
Deku-Johnny  +   997d ago
I know it's kind of off topic but it's weird that this game can be completed in 8 hours whereas the first reports of Lego City Undercover say it'll take like 60 hours to complete. It's strange that most 'hardcore' games only take on average around 10 hours to complete these days.
Papa_Kaz  +   997d ago
It'll take me 8hours and 20min due to the sex mini games ;)

Remastered Earthbound Soundtrack To Be Sold On Vinyl

2h ago - 20 years after it was released on SNES, Earthbound is getting a vinyl release for its remastered... | Culture

Désiré - Prologue: Walkthrough Guide

13h ago - Appunwrapper writes: "This is a complete step-by-step walkthrough for the iOS and Android point-a... | iPhone

HotLiked - What the Internet is talking about right now

Now - Kill some time at You will regret it... | Promoted post

Blaze Proves the Commodore Amiga Was Capable of Sonic the Hedgehog

13h ago - Carl Williams writes, "While Sega never supported the Commodore Amiga with any games, they did la... | Retro

Westwood Studios to Receive Industry Icon Award at The Game Awards 2015

13h ago - Host Geoff Keighley just announced that the defunct Westwood Studios will receive the “Industry I... | Retro

Yokai Watch Dance Gets Two New Japanese Commercials

14h ago - Level-5 has released two new commercials showing off the game’s colorful and adorable gameplay. | Wii U