Submitted by doctorstrange 662d ago | news

Uncharted 3 Multiplayer Free-to-Play Sees 100,000 Downloads in North America After the First Week

Adding some validity to the decision of creating a Free-to-Play model for Uncharted 3′s multiplayer, Naughty Dog has announced that the Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer Free-to-Play has seen over 100,000 downloads in North America during the first week of availability.
-PSLS (PS3, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception)

TrendyGamers  +   662d ago
Not bad, I wonder what the numbers were like elsewhere?
black911  +   662d ago
Whatever Happened to the option Recommend Games that are available on the PlayStation Store to Friends?
fourOeightshark  +   661d ago
It would have way more downloads if we still had that recommend feature.
-Alpha  +   661d ago
The new PlayStation store happened
I think sony is smart doing this.. Bring out a franchise then make the older versions MP f2p! Even if the new killzone comes they could keep kz3 mp f2p!

It's better than old games just dying.
#1.2 (Edited 661d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
SPAM-FRITTER-123  +   661d ago
Smart? This technique has been around for years on PC. Stealing other platforms marketing strategies is called Business.
#1.2.1 (Edited 661d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(20) | Report
MikeMyers  +   661d ago
Of course it is. MAG was a prime example of a gaming community dying that had a great rebirth by offering it free to a certain cap level as well. Even if only a small percentage upgrades to the full level or just buys a few items it's worth it. It also brings more interest to the ip and could help sell older titles.
clearelite  +   661d ago
Excellent point. I would love to see Counter Strike GO go free to play with continued support from Valve.
CalvinKlein  +   661d ago
I dl it because I wanted to buy U3 just for the multiplayer already. I havent bought anything but it says it tracks your progress and Im level 35 from the beta instead of being at only 15. I wonder if it will unlock my progress if I buy the game on a disk too?

I will probably just buy the GOTY edition for less than 30(or even regular edition for 20$ or less) to get all the maps since just the level cap removal by itself is a 20$ ripoff and I think that still includes the adds. I will buy the real game just to get rid of the lame adds. Id like to have it digital but only if the full competitive multiplayer without adds was 20$(even without the extra maps).

below- I like SP games more but Id like the option to only buy the COD multiplayer (team deathmatch). I dont want the SP, or special ops or zombies, just team deathmatch. Id buy it if it was 20$ 20 for SP, 20 for multiplayer, and 20 for zombies would be great. then people could choose what they want. same with other games. Id like to buy just the SP of alot of games for just 40$.
#1.3 (Edited 661d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
ftwrthtx  +   662d ago
I'm not surprised by that. I'm curious to know if ND actually made any money.
LOGICWINS  +   662d ago
I'm assuming more than a few people bought some DLC.
HammadTheBeast  +   661d ago
I bought the unlimited level cap and may buy DLC in the future.
#2.1.1 (Edited 661d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report
LOGICWINS  +   661d ago
Unlimited level cap? How much is that?
GribbleGrunger  +   662d ago
Agreed. It's a great way of getting people online and a great way of boosting DLC sales.
Godchild1020  +   662d ago
I can't wait for the day where we (The gamers) can purchase something in the Marketplace or the PSN Store without leaving the game or losing our place in a game due to hardware limitations.

OT: Nice numbers for Uncharted. Nothing beats free! First Jetpack Joyride and now Uncharted 3. I can see Sony pushing the PS4/PSV as a great way (Alternative to PC, IOS and android) to utilize the free to play model.
#3 (Edited 662d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
ExPresident  +   662d ago
I can't wait till we can just buy the multiplayer portion of a game without the SP. This is a great start to that.
profgerbik  +   662d ago
That sounds horrible..
ExPresident  +   661d ago
Why because its an option? I would have loved the option to buy BF3 multiplayer without the single player portion because I don't care about the single player in Battlefield. It should be cheaper and it should be an option.

Not sure why people on this site hate options. Really baffles me.
BitbyDeath  +   661d ago
Disagrees are cause this is FREE. Why would you want to pay for multiplayer when devs are giving it away for FREE?

That should be the future for multiplayer only games IMO.

Free game, money made through DLC, not that i'm a fan of microtransactions but as long as it's not Pay-to-win then i'm all for it.
#4.2 (Edited 661d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
ExPresident  +   661d ago
I would pay if it avoided microtransactions. I don't support micro-transactions if it means I'm paying for stuff I used to get with a one time fee. League of Legends on the other hand does it perfect from my experience.

So therefor, yes, free is good depending on how the micro-transactions are done. Otherwise I'll just pay the one time fee for a complete multiplayer experience.
Ares84HU  +   661d ago
If you don't like sp games than buy games that are just MP. There are plenty. Also, if you don't like the SP you don't need to play it. But don't you worry. Soon enough they will dissect games and you will have the option to buy each level of a game individually and each weapon as well. It already started happening...now they just call it DLC or add-ons. Soon you won't even be able to buy a whole game intact.

Microtransactions FTW!!/sarcasm
ExPresident  +   661d ago
So, in the case of Battlefield 3, which I think is amazing, I should just not play it since I can't get the MP only in your opinion? Rather then have the option of getting the MP only I should just avoid the entire game? How is that better then having the option to purchase the portion I want.

Also, I don't like the idea of purchasing levels individually, or each weapon, etc etc. I already stated that above. Micro-transactions are not a win in most cases, unless done like League of Legends. But more options are better then less.
Ares84HU  +   661d ago
No, I never said that you should avoid the full game.

I said that don't play the SP part if you don't like it. Also there are plenty of MP only games if that is your thing.

But in my humble opinion, if I buy a game I want the FULL version of the game not 1/4 or half of it. I want it full. You think if companies would get on the habit of selling a games MP and SP mode separately they would charge you less??? No, they wouldn't. They would charge you almost the same...my guess is $39.99 for MP or the same for the SP. So if you want the full package you would end up paying more.

I just don't understand why having a SP campaign is a bad thing. It is the best in gaming a great SP is much much much better than ANY MP mode.
#4.3.2 (Edited 661d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(4) | Report
ExPresident  +   661d ago
@ Ares84HU

If I can save money by purchasing just the portion of the game I want, ie the MP or SP, then that would be a great option, and yes purchasing one should be cheaper then both, but both should be a savings deal as well.

I bought BF3 day 1 and I dont play the SP, but I should have the option of saving money and only getting the MP mode. I understand your concern that they would charge you more for one mode rather then a full game but that is something as a consumer I can support or choose not to with my wallet and I'm fine with that.

Your opinion on SP being the best of gaming is subjective as it is your opinion. It all depends on the game.
Rainstorm81  +   661d ago
You can now.....within the F2P game
Ducky  +   661d ago
Starhawk and Killzone3 have this option.

In StarHawk's case, the SP and MP can be bought separately, while in KZ3's case, the MP version can be bought separately.

It's great too, because there are game for which I don't care about the SP, and if I'm buying them digitally, I might as well save some money and HDD space.
T2  +   661d ago
Hell ya ive never played one missions of sp in cod or bf ... Not one ... Resistance was pretty cool tho
holdmyown83  +   661d ago
I can't wait for that either. Especially for Call of duty games.
Skate-AK  +   661d ago
I wish I could use my Online Pass for U3 disk version.
BoNeSaW23  +   661d ago
I got on this weekend and played with some friends that DL the f2p version and was really embarrassed by how much LAG was in the game. It was horrible! Roll into some cover and die 3 seconds later and dam near a full clip into somebody to kill them!?

WTF! Has it always been this bad or has it got worse with the updates?

They are not interested in Uncharted at all anymore. I can't even convince them to try the co-op that is 10 times better than competitive mp.

Also,Why haven't they added region server selection yet so I'm not stuck in a game with Japanese and Europeans?

Edit: Our conections were all 15mbps+ btw.
#6 (Edited 661d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
r21  +   661d ago
I was gonna buy the GOTY edition but thanks to this F2P news, no need. Now I can save up for TLOU and other games :D Thank you ND/Sony!

Best thing is I have all the unlocked stuff from before i sold my copy off. Worst thing is the forced ads you have to watch after each start of matchmaking.
TheRealSpy  +   661d ago
100k downloaded it because it's free. in the second week, 90k will have played it once and never come back. 9k will play it for a week then quit. MAYBE 1k will play it for a few weeks.

it's just not a good MP. the people that want to play it are mostly going to be people that paid for it. personally, i played the beta for a week, then never had any desire to play it when i bought the retail game. didn't even bother getting the trophy for playing one round.
#8 (Edited 661d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
ZILLA  +   661d ago
ONLINE INSANITY!!
Its the GREATEST 3rd person online shooter EVER!!
RTheRebel  +   661d ago
Lol no. Mgs4 online
the best :)
kingPoS  +   661d ago
MGO didn't hold your hand, you had to use real tactics & strategy or lose... really really often.lol

Good times good times!
BitbyDeath  +   661d ago
I prefer Warhawk :-p
kingPoS  +   661d ago
I play it every now & then.

I still don't geyt why other multiplayer games haven't developed a lobby system like the one that's in Warhawk.

Spiltscreen... heck the game has quadscreen online. Believe it or not plenty people still play Warhawk. Maybe it's because it's online only?

Word of advice, if your prone to motion sickness... then leave pro-flight alone. lol

5 Most Anticipated PS4 Exclusive Upcoming Games

5m ago - Probably the biggest difference between the Wii, PlayStation and the Xbox is the difference in th... | PS4

Why Are we purchasing Games, Bugged, DLC Ridden and patched to the Extreme?

6m ago - IGC Admin Team - We could go back to the days when consoles where simply consoles and not enterta... | Culture

Kingdom Management Game Yes, Your Grace Kickstarted

21m ago - Hardcore Gamer: Think you're fit to rule? Prove your worth in Yes, Your Grace, a complex kingdom... | PC

Capcom Unleashes Some 3DS eShop Sales

21m ago - The North American 3DS eShop has been hit with all sorts of sales over the past several days, and... | 3DS

Win a PS4!!

Now - Join us on Filmwatch to find out how you can win a free PS4 this holiday season! | Promoted post

The Best 5 Playstation 3 Racing Games Of 2014

21m ago - With 2014 drawing to a close CarGamingBlog takes a look back at the year’s best racing games for... | PS3