Submitted by PlayerBox 996d ago | news

Valve readies prototype Steam Box video game console

Valve expects to offer prototypes of its upcoming video games console for testing within four months time.

The firm's chief executive Gabe Newell revealed the news to the BBC ahead of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (Bafta) Games Awards.

Valve's online PC games store Steam has already proven highly popular and analysts suggest the console, called Steam Box, could have a big impact.

Mr Newell is being honoured with an Academy Fellowship at the event. (Next-Gen, Steam, Valve)

Alternative Sources
a_bro  +   996d ago
This and the ps4 is gonna look really good in my living room
Derekvinyard13  +   996d ago
You think ps4 will be black? They could change it up
DarkBlood  +   996d ago
you think maybe they will have blue available seeing thier vita boxed are that color anyhows?

also am i seeing a disk slot on that steambox?
Cupid_Viper_3  +   996d ago
I really hope they do well with the Steam Box.

But I'm left with some questions though. I know that Steam has some 50 million users, but these are users whom a significant number of them own decent PC rigs. I'm not sure what the incentive is going to be to persuade them to buy this, just so they could play games that they're already capable of playing on their PC.

It seems like we might have a EXHIBIT Meme going on here; "Hey Dawg, I heard you like Steam".

Unless their focus is on an entirely different market from the guys already playing on their PC's maybe? It seems like the Steam Box would have been a great competitor to the PS3 and Xbox 360 as the graphical differences would have been much more obvious. But now with the PS4 and Xbox 720 being as powerful as they are, I think Valve might find it hard to convince people to go with the new kid on the block.

But I guess time will tell for sure, so let's play the "wait and see" game for now.
starchild  +   996d ago
That is exactly the point: to get people that might otherwise be intimidated by PC gaming to jump on board. They want to make the PC platform more accessible.

Sounds good to me.
Cupid_Viper_3  +   996d ago
@ Starchild

But that's exactly what I'm questioning. The new consoles have taken huge steps towards what the PC currently offers as far as what type of games they can play now. So isn't it a little too late?

There are many things that a PC could do that a PS1, PS2, PS3 and Xbox 360 couldn't do. But now with the PS4 and next Xbox, that list has shrunken rather dramatically I would say. Consoles will be expected to play RTS, MMO's, and other genres which prior to this were strictly a PC thing, no?
Spoon_  +   996d ago
Valve is coming for the console market with an upgradeable mod supporting steambox. They are being packaged with controllers not keyboards expect steam to have a big impact this gen.
classic200  +   996d ago
LOL you are thinking the same the same thing as me lool. I can get the best of PC without needing my PC to be used in the living room and I can have my PS4 combo, what more can a gamer ask for.
I can only say this. Whatever Valve does it will probably make sense. I will reserve judgment on valves console but I do expect good things from them. They have a good track record for success. So who knows.

Any company that can make a puzzle game a 2011 goty contender might have interesting things to offer. *Cough HL3, l4d3, tf3, portal 3 launch title Cough*

I hope to see a future not so dependent on Microsoft. It's just un healthy for everyone.

Just re installed Ubuntu.

Also sign into ps4 with psn account then sign into steam with psn account = win!
#1.3 (Edited 996d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Root  +   996d ago
So that box that was shown off a month or so back wasn't the Steam Box console....?

I was going to say because people were saying it was yet it just felt like a Steam PC model, thought the console box would have it's own controller and everything

Anyway on the controler....just don't make it like Microsofts Valve, you need something that's an all rounder...something which fits many genres not just FPS
#2 (Edited 996d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
Blackdeath_663  +   996d ago
depending on the price this can be a serious contender for next gen. i've always assumed (like many others) since CES that the steambox will be like the Xi3,Xi5 and the Xi7 that were shown there http://www.youtube.com/watc... and there was a lot of confusion over it and the steambox. if the steambox is a dedicate gaming device it will be interesting to see how it does
Cueil  +   996d ago
I was under the impression it was going to use off the shelf APU and FX2 mobo
deanobi  +   996d ago
Xbox will own the next gen.
YourSavior  +   996d ago
You should be a comedian.
BitbyDeath  +   996d ago
Better get them dancin shoes ready folks

Utalkin2me  +   996d ago
Bill is that you?
3GenGames  +   996d ago
Linux domination in the desktop world begins here with PC games. Who would have thought?! :)
#5 (Edited 996d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Cueil  +   996d ago
no... just no... I love Linux, but it's way to fragmented to be anything other then an after thought and if Valve thinks they can bully their way into the console market they have a rude awakening coming to them
BitbyDeath  +   996d ago
You do realise MS bullied their way into both the OS market and console market?

Karma, it catches up with everyone eventually.

Links -

When asked why Microsoft decided to enter the console space, he asserted that, "The main reason was to stop Sony."

“Bill is basically unimaginative and has never invented anything, which is why I think he’s more comfortable now in philanthropy than technology. He just shamelessly ripped off other people’s ideas.” -Steve Jobs, Apple

#5.1.1 (Edited 996d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(2) | Report
3GenGames  +   996d ago
Fragmented? How in the hell is Linux fragmented?! It's the only big time computer OS to be natively supported on ARM, x86, x64, and a few other microprocessor types. There's a couple package managers, but .deb is used by most of the user base and it pretty much "standard." You provide a .deb package, you provide for most of the Linux community. I don't see any other OS offering one format for all their platforms, no? Apple and Microsoft to chose to have 100% different OS's. Heck, Metro is based on HTML5 so it can what Linux does. Talk about a hack to get that going! But executable work between every distro provided the architecture is the same. The packages, like said, are the only thing that differ. To say that's fragmented, you have to be very, very stupid with Linux.

Fragmented...ha. What an idiotic comment...really.
#5.1.2 (Edited 996d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report
Cueil  +   995d ago
@3GenGames Are you series? You know how many different distros there are and then we wont even talk Unity, Gnome, KDE, and Enlightenment
Ares84HU  +   996d ago
It makes me wonder why do I need a pc anymore!?
nirwanda  +   996d ago
Because steam will release the same lynux to the pc community too just to grow the format faster and get all the steam users to move away from windows
classic200  +   996d ago
Don't let PC gamers see your comment lol. right now now some PC gamers are calling this great while some are upset because it might cause games like half life 3 being a steam box exclusives since valve needs something to make people buy the machine.
nirwanda  +   996d ago
Half life 3 will be great but to say valve won't release it on steam is like saying apple will only release a game on the ipod touch.
Half life 3 is just too big to leave it off the pc but what they may do is release a lynux pc version too along with the lynux to play it saying it will run better when played with this.
Anomander  +   996d ago
As good as half Life 3 can be, I doubt Valve will not release it on the PC. I agree they might make it a "Timed" exclusive, but with so many potential sales out there for regular PC they would be shooting themselves in the foot.
kevnb  +   996d ago
because the steam box is a pc...
Milesprowers  +   996d ago
I already have a Steam Box, It is called a PC.. and why would they need "New Controllers", when the Xbox360 Controller is the Standard PC Controller.

This "Steam Box" is a Gimmick
DarkBlood  +   996d ago
because its going to be marketed as a console no wonder and with that in mind microsoft could sue valve for it

on a pc theres no one coporation controlling that specfic market so everyone can use whatever they want

thats just my guess.
#7.1 (Edited 996d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
nirwanda  +   996d ago
It's not a gimmick it's to grow lynux for gaming, lynux if programmed properly runs faster and better for gaming as they can cut out all the nonsense windows has and focus on a gaming OS and also they won't have to pay MS for DX licences download sales.
Milesprowers  +   996d ago
I built my own Console-PC, which fits under the TV, it Runs Windows 8 and have no Issues..

Thus no reason at all for me to buy a Steam Box, and since it is a Small Box, the PC Components will be under-powered and Slower.
nirwanda  +   996d ago
But would you duel boot it for games if valve made a version of lynux purely for gaming that ran all converted games run at a higher frame rate.
Milesprowers  +   996d ago
Games run Best in the Operation System they are compiled for.. duh.

In-fact "Dolphin Emulator" run faster in Window then in Linux.
Cryptcuzz  +   996d ago
My friend, why do you spell Linux as Lynux?

Other then that, you have some good points about what you are saying in this thread.

jon1234  +   996d ago
steam box? i thought it was called ouya? ..... haha JUST KIDDING JEEZ!!!
kevnb  +   996d ago
why is this PC being called a console? Should we start calling every pre-built gaming focused computer a console?
#9 (Edited 996d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
ElementX  +   996d ago
What about Sony Computer Entertainment?
CapsLocke  +   995d ago
You're right. Gaming console is standardized PC with closed architecture for a cheap price. Cheap price is compensated by high games prices. Steam Box is a modular PC.
#9.2 (Edited 995d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
ElementX  +   996d ago
This thing won't be worth it. It runs Linux and Steam currently has only 128 Linux games. I built a PC a few months ago and bought a long HDMI cable on Amazon to run all my games on my TV. It works beautifully.
CapsLocke  +   995d ago
It could run Windows with no problems.
ElementX  +   995d ago
Do you think Valve would allow that?

London Drugs Black Friday 2015 Ad: Mortal Kombat X for $29.99, Bloodborne for $19.99

27m ago - Continuing our look at Canadian Black Friday 2015 ads, the London Drugs flyer reveals a number of... | Xbox 360

All Nyko Products 20% Off Starting Black Friday

2h ago - EB: Nyko has announced that it will offer 20% off all of its products starting Black Friday and r... | Tech

US Movie Releases to Look Out For in November

Now - Remember, remember, the films of November! It’s the time of year when the nights draw in, the year winds down and studios line up their most presti... | Promoted post

Nerdist Review: Bloodborne's The Old Hunters DLC is Worth Every Bloody Penny

2h ago - Nerdist: Earlier this year, I raved about how great FromSoftware’s PS4-exclusive Bloodborne was.... | PS4

Itch.io to Host Celebratory Loading Screen Jam

4h ago - Indie game site Itch.io has announced it will host Loading Screen Jam starting this Friday to cel... | PC

8 Massive Missteps In Otherwise Great Games

4h ago - From Playboy.com: Here are 8 great games that are have one big flaw. | Culture