Submitted by Rob_P 513d ago | opinion piece

Ten Best Games of This Generation

Bag of Games takes a look at the ten best games of this console generation. (PC, PS3, Wii, Xbox 360)

« 1 2 »
ShugaCane  +   513d ago
"Our ten favourite games of this generation" would be a more accurate title.
Rob_P  +   513d ago
It goes without saying that any "best" list is going to be subjective though.
#1.1 (Edited 513d ago ) | Agree(24) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
ShugaCane  +   513d ago
I definately agree on that. But when I read "Bag of Games takes a look at the ten best games of this console generation", I can't help thinking "Well...that's YOUR opinion" lol. Anyway, you're right.
MikeMyers  +   513d ago
My top 10 in no order

1. Uncharted
2. Bioshock
3. Assassins Creed
4. Borderlands
5. Mass Effect
6. Forza
7. Super Mario Galaxy
8. Demon Souls (and Dark Souls)
9. Batman
10. NHL
omi25p  +   512d ago
10. Uncharted 2
9. Call Of Duty 4
8. Halo 3
7. Bioshock
6. Fallout 3
5. Mass Effect 2
4. Batman Arkham City
3. The Walking Dead
2. Red Dead Redemption
1. Grand Theft Auto IV

Honorable mentions, Max Payne 3, Gear of war 2, Infamous 2, Portal 2,Battlefield 3 (Multiplayer), Assassins Creed 2, Alan Wake, Dead Space.
#1.1.3 (Edited 512d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(10) | Report
JoySticksFTW  +   512d ago
No love for MGS4? Maaaan...

Top 10 for me so far would be like Demon's Souls or MGS4 for the top spot, followed by Uncharted 1, Mass Effect 1, Gears 1, Infamous 1, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Burnout Paradise, and Dragon Age Origins, in no particular order.

MGS4 was a love letter to MGS fans, with uncompromising fan service.

Demon's Souls was a love letter to the hardcore gamer, with uncompromising (yet fair!!) challenge and difficulty.

I think the "uncompromising" factor needs to be looked at by more devs. Don't try to COD-ize everything to appeal to the mass market.

Just make the game you want to make. Not everyone is going to understand your vision, but being different will give it a chance to stand out from all of the other cookie-cutter crap.

After all, Haters gonna hate anyways (da cut scenez!! da difikulty!!). You might as well show them your idea of fun.
Rob_P  +   512d ago
@JoySticksFTW Demon's Souls and MGS4 would definitely be worthy of the list as well. It also bugs me that Red Dead Redemption didn't quite make the cut. Ultimately, boiling it down to just 10 is really hard.
charted  +   512d ago
1. GTA San Andreas (not sure which gen, but the best)
2. Assassin Creed
3. Bioshock
4. Uncharted 1 (Because it layed the footsteps for the next 2 games.)
5. Red Dead Redemption

+ many more.
JoySticksFTW  +   512d ago
Gah!

How'd I forget Red Dead?!

Jeez, I've been gaming since Atari 2600 and this gen was truly something special.

I don't think you really can go wrong with a top 10 list. Might need a top 25!

And Rob_P, your site gets a rate up for not putting one game per page for ten pages. Can't stand that junk. Thanks! :D
#1.1.7 (Edited 512d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
Ni No Kuni.. And The Last of US might be on the next list just before next gen.
#1.2 (Edited 512d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
StrongMan  +   513d ago
Great list!

The PS3 dominated the list with three of top the ten games being PS3 exclusives, one was a Wii exclusive, and the remaining six games were multi plats.
Walker  +   513d ago
Uncharted 2 should be on Top 3 !
GusBricker  +   513d ago
I think you mean 2 PS3 exclusives.

He put Dark Souls not Demons Souls.
charted  +   512d ago
How can someone disagree with you?

Are they retarded?
GreenRanger  +   513d ago
Oblivion was better than Skyrim in all but graphics, IMO.
#3 (Edited 513d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(10) | Report | Reply
GusBricker  +   513d ago
Disagree. Having to go to Oblivion so many damn times got boring and tedious.
GreenRanger  +   513d ago
You're only forced to go to Oblivion three times.
The Oblivion gate at Kvatch, the one near Bruma that you enter with Captain Burd, and the Great Gate north of Bruma.
Every other gate can be avoided.
#3.1.1 (Edited 513d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(2) | Report
GusBricker  +   513d ago
Yeah, well, I'm a completionist. Gotta finish everything.
Kezwar  +   512d ago
I loved Obligations Oblivion but Skyrim is better in every way. Skyrim feels so much more organic. I honestly can't think of a single area where Oblivion is better.
BitbyDeath  +   512d ago
I prefer Skyrim over Oblivion cause I didn't like how everything leveled up with you. (Enemies, weapons, etc)

Skyrim gave a bit more room with some enemies being near impossible while others only took one slash.

Same goes for weapons where you could find absolute treasures in Skyrim but Oblivion just gave you whatever was needed to fight the next guy coming at you.
xPhearR3dx  +   513d ago
Skyrim is my #1. I have over 300 hours into the Xbox version and purchased all the DLC. Recently switched to PC gaming, bought Skyrim and all the DLC again and close to 100 hours. The vast amount of mods for Skyrim and the quality of work put into them is amazing. Really makes the game perform better, and feel like a completely new experience.
Gamer-40  +   513d ago
The Witcher 2?
Xenoblade?
Zelda SS?

2 hours Journey better than this three games?
LOL.
#5 (Edited 513d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(13) | Report | Reply
Hicken  +   513d ago
Yep. It is. In fact, for me, it's better than all the other games on their list.
-GametimeUK-  +   513d ago
You underestimate the appeal of Journey. I wouldn't knock someone who said it was their best game of all time. I find it to be an amazing experience.
Gamer-40  +   512d ago
Journey nice and beautiful music, but not better GAME than Witcher 2, Zelda, Xeno.

Well, i think Limbo better arcade game than Journey.

-Subjective-
Fateful_Knight  +   513d ago
I love how The Walking Dead beats out Bioshock and Uncharted 2. Who's brilliant idea was that? I tried The Walking Dead and deleted it 3 hours in because i couldn't play it without falling asleep. That's my subjective experience.
medman  +   513d ago
The Walking Dead is vastly overrated in my opinion. I heard so much about it and how great it was, when it went on sale over the Christmas holidays I picked it up for ten bucks. It's not really a game at all, it's an exercise in storytelling where the player is being dragged along for the ride. Bioware tells a brilliant story with the Mass Effect series. If you want dialog trees, play that series for an idea of how to do it brilliantly. By comparison, the Walking Dead felt stiff and exceedingly repetitive. How it won game of the year from certain publications is beyond me. I wouldn't say it wasn't worth playing, but again, I payed ten bucks. For that price it was worth it. But if I had payed even twenty dollars for the game, I would have been very upset with my purchase. It doesn't belong on a list of games of this generation.
Kezwar  +   512d ago
I think Beethovens third sympathy is overrated. This opinion is worthless.
Novistador  +   512d ago
Bought The Walking dead (with all the chapters) for 15$, was worth. I also enjoy the show and graphic novels so, I thought the story was great. not better than Bioshock, but to each is their own.
stragomccloud  +   513d ago
Of course "best" will always be subjective. As for me, if we can count a franchise's collective awesomeness(provided it is part of the same canon) as a title, then my personal favorite 10 in no particular order are...

Uncharted
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Fragile Dreams
Assassin's Creed series
Mass Effect series
No More Heroes series
Alan Wake
Xenoblade
Last Story
Lost Odyssey

Man... It's hard to only pick 10! I feel bad leaving games like Bioshock out simply because there were games that I liked more...

What about you guys?
#7 (Edited 513d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
HonestDragon  +   513d ago
True. Best lists are all personal opinion. Their list was pretty good. The whole time I'm thinking, "Please don't have all sports games and first person military shooters." Thank goodness that wasn't the case.

For me, though, I have a lot of favorites, so I think (in no particular order) I will list ten games (a few franchises as well) that have done something different this generation. It would be that one element that separates this game from many others.

Assassin's Creed series - For the immersion into environment interactivity across time periods no one often bothers with.

Batman: Arkham series - For the amazing combat and gadgets that match Batman's ability to do his crusade against crime.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - For the incredible, single player driven experience with great player choice in combat.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - For the Wii Motion Plus mechanic of sword fighting as Link, while giving us a great epic tale.

Mass Effect series - For the beautiful blend of RPG elements and epic narrative that many gamers love (even though the third game did disappoint).

Minecraft - For taking simulation games with a unique look and making it one of the most satisfying experiences around.

Portal 2 - For showing that a little puzzle game can turn into a well written and intelligent game with the original concept of the Portal Gun.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - For bringing the Uncharted series to its peak by raising the stakes and perfecting the gameplay.

Vanquish - For the Augmented Reaction Suit that made you feel like a speedy powerhouse capable of fantastic stunts.

It's tough trying to pick ten main ones. Those are at least mine for now.
#7.1 (Edited 513d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
stragomccloud  +   513d ago
Good list. Those were some great games!
-GametimeUK-  +   513d ago
I can't argue with that list. My list wouldn't be like this one, but I can see why you have chose these franchises. I really need to play Vanquish. I have had it since launch and have only done the first 2 or 3 missions lol. I would replace the Assassins Creed series with the Souls series in a heartbeat, though.
KuroiTori  +   512d ago
Great list!
Thepharaoh  +   512d ago
Lost Odyssey was the stuff
Lisica  +   513d ago
Why is this in a PC section?
baraka007  +   512d ago
other than journey and uc2 they are all pc games I guess that's why?
Lisica  +   512d ago
The ten best games of this console generation.
telekeneticmantis  +   513d ago
Why
is Skyrim number 2. I'll never understand the level of interest in that game. I had it and it ot boring very fast.
NeoTribe  +   512d ago
You must not like open world rpgs. It only got boring for me after 200 hours. Thats pretty good to me.
GamingWorldPeace  +   513d ago
My Top 10 in no order:

God of War 3
Uncharted 1
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
Heavy rain
Red Dead Redemption
Gears of War 1
Killzone 2
Little Big Planet 1
Metal Gear 4
xabmol  +   512d ago
Finally, a MGS fan. I'd probably give MGO the #1 spot, followed by MGS4. Then Demon/Dark Souls at #3. With Uncharted 2 in 4th, and I can't even make it to 5 without wanting to name 50 different games(from LBP to BFBC2).
-GametimeUK-  +   512d ago
I'm an MGS fan. I just don't think that MGS4 was "that" good. The first 2 acts are brilliant, but the rest of the game disappointed me. MGO was fantastic, though.
OmniSlashPT  +   513d ago
To be honest, this list could be the other way around and it would still make more sense than it is atm

The first Portal was a 3h puzzle game, I found Portal 2 to be better in every single aspect, it has better characters, dialogues, better puzzles and tricks and a overall better flow and pace.

And there are many games that deserve a top 10 spot. Games like LBP, MGS4, RDR or Heavy Rain deserve the top 10 much more than Batman, Walking Dead or even SMG. And im not even mentioning God of War III, AC2 or Gears 1.
nintendoland  +   513d ago
My top 10 in no order.

-Terraria (best of this generation)
-Binding of Isaac
-Super Smash Bros. Brawl
-Super Hexagon
-Sonic Chronicles
-Battlefield 3 (worst of the list)
-Rhythm Paradise
-GoldenEye 007
-Super Meat Boy
-Mario Kart Wii
superterabyte  +   512d ago
torchic  +   512d ago
very no.
LOL_WUT  +   512d ago
Just no
stragomccloud  +   512d ago
Everyone has different tastes, and those games are all good picks.
jakmckratos  +   512d ago
What is this..I don't even..

The ONLY game that is remotely worth mentioning on that pathetic piece of sadness is Super Mario Galaxy. Brawl was fun as hell but not a significant jump as Galaxy was..even at that it def wasn't top ten at ALL
Deku-Johnny  +   512d ago
Don't understand all the disagrees, that's pretty much saying that there is a right and wrong answer when it comes to something like this. There are a few brilliant games on your list.
Novistador  +   512d ago
Terraria and BoI are great choices, dont let the sony trolls get to you.
stragomccloud  +   510d ago
Seriously, lists are subjective and have a lot to do with our personal tastes and past experiences.
I must admit I have not played a umber of those games, but I've heard lots of good things.
NobodyImportant  +   512d ago
Terrari is fantastic!!

Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Sonic Chronicles are utter utter horse sh1t.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but ... no, nintendoland you're wrong.
Mr_Stark  +   511d ago
Interesting you don't like Brawl. What did you think to Sony's clone?
NobodyImportant  +   511d ago
I thought it was rubbish.

Don't think you'll catch me out by making me look like a Sony Fanboi.
If something is poor I'll say so. I don't have allegiance to a console manufacturer.

I don't care what comsole a game comes on. Smash Brothers Melee was better. Brawl is just more of the same but with a broken online.

And before this gen I was always Nintendo. NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube. It's only the last two gens when Nintendo has gone weak that I've jumped ship.

And I did own a Wii for a while to play twilight princess to 120 star Mario Galaxy then I sold it. I also played Metroid coruption, but the graphics were ugly and last gen and the game was exactly the same as Prime.
oIITSBIIo  +   513d ago
My top 10 :

Batman AC
Batman AA
The witcher 2
Gears of war 2
Tribes Ascend
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Bastion
Portal 2
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Red Dead Redemption

I think Bioshock Infinite will be in 3rd place .
xabmol  +   512d ago
BFBC2? Oh yeah!

Hope we get a Bad Co.3 next gen.
-GametimeUK-  +   513d ago
This generation has been the best ever. I don't think I could possibly pick my top 10 games. Dark Souls, Uncharted 2, Red Dead Redemption, Portal 2 and Mario Galaxy would be included, but the rest would be really hard to include. If I actually put some thought into this I think I would surprise myself. Journey could possibly even make my cut... maybe :-)
#14 (Edited 513d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Jakens  +   512d ago
This has been a good generation. I do believe the lenth of some game development has slowed down how many games has come out.

Either that or I don't know what.
wenaldy  +   513d ago
My top ten:

Tetris
Pacman
Contra
Goonies
Duck Hunt
Track & Field
Nuts and Milk
Sky Destroyer
Road Fighter
Mappy
superterabyte  +   512d ago
Don't know if you think your funny but its top 10 this generation.You overate those games because of nostalgia. Other than tetris and pacman none of those games belong in a top ten list of all time anyway. Fucking hipster
MysticStrummer  +   512d ago
Welcome to the present. I think you'll find gaming has evolved quite a bit.
GABRIEL1030  +   513d ago
9 of 10 games were released for PS3. My list is:
1. Killzone 2.
2. Mass effect 2.
3. Metal Gear Solid 4.
4. Deus EX
5. Halo Reach
6. Gears of War 2.
7. Uncharted 2.
8. Call of Duty Modern warfare 3.
9. Battlefield 3.
10.Red dead Redemption.
Emzx99  +   512d ago
Any "top" list with Mass Effect 2, or 3 is just flat out wrong. Those games ruined the lore, and I have hours and hours of video proof. Youtube.com/smudboy
Gamer-40  +   512d ago
Best games always be subjective.

My list is:

6. Mass Effect 2
5. Resistance 3
4. Red Dead Redemption
3. God of War 3
2. Uncharted 2
1. Last of Us.

That's right bitches..Im making the call. It'll be the top game EVER. (Although if I wasn't being annoying Uncharted 2 would still have the top spot and I'd prob put Halo Reach or Assassin's Creed 2 in the top 10 place)
#19 (Edited 512d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
NateCole  +   512d ago
There are way to many games. For me though.

1. MGS4
5.Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
6.Portal
7.Bioshock
8.Final Fantasy XIII
9.Batman Arkham City
10.Battlefield Bad Company 2

I really enjoyed this gen, cheers to the next one!
KuroiTori  +   512d ago
I'd like to add honorable mentions, because I had so many games I enjoyed this cycle.

TES Skyrim and Oblivion
6.infamous 2
7.bad company 2
8.tales of graces f
9.smash brothers brawl
10.halo 3
MysticStrummer  +   512d ago
So many people love Mass Effect. I'm not feeling it so far. I'm not hating it, but I don't understand why it's so loved either. It reminds me of Alpha Protocol. Both have good stories and the ability to change things with your words and actions, but both also have really awkward shooting gameplay, with animations and AI that could have used more polish. ME's graphics are better, but I like AP's conversation system better. I do like ME better than Dragon Age: Origins though. Anyway, I'm still on ME1 so maybe the rest of the trilogy will help me see why anyone would mention any game in the series as a best of generation candidate.
animegamingnerd  +   512d ago
trust me ME1 hasn't age that well while i still love to this day 2 and 3 are a lot more polish but the story's aren't as good
baraka007  +   512d ago
Mass Effect's shooting sucks in the first one. Wait till the second one, you'll love the combat and the story more IMO.
#23.2 (Edited 512d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
urwifeminder  +   512d ago
Battlestations and shadowrun for me.
StreetsofRage  +   512d ago
Very nice. It's good to see somebody that thinks outside the box. 2 awesome games.
urwifeminder  +   511d ago
Cheers two games that had gameplay that i have never encounted before or since very innovative.
JasonX43  +   512d ago
Although Arkham Asylum was good, I think Arkham City should've been on this list instead. IGN gave it a 10 of 10 and called it the best use of a character license in video game history!
BitbyDeath  +   512d ago
I like a bit of variety in genre so -

10. Motorstorm - Pacific Rift
9. Little Big Planet 2
8. Tokyo Jungle
7. Toy Story 3 (yes Toy Story 3)
6. inFamous 2

3. RED DEAD REDEMPTION
4. NBA 2K11
5. BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY
6. MASS EFFECT 2
7. HEAVY RAIN
8. LA NOIRE
9. SUPER STREET FIGHTER 4 (tie) / MORTAL KOMBAT (tie)
10. GOD OF WAR III
11. LITTLE BIG PLANET
12. JOURNEY
13. RATCHET & CLANK: A CRACK IN TIME
14. MLB: THE SHOW 10
#28 (Edited 512d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
StrawberryDiesel420  +   512d ago
I know Demon's Souls would be my number one, that game was something else. The online alone makes it the best game this generation.
level 360  +   512d ago
Honestly Skyrim became a modders' dream by putting out a lot of softcore material.

Gameplay experience that advances the **cause of gaming I say Uncharted 2 is my number 1.
« 1 2 »

Dragon Age: Inquisition - New Gameplay Trailer Focuses On Combat

2m ago - Bioware and Electronic Arts have released a new gameplay trailer for Dragon Age: Inquisition that... | PC

Atlus Working On A Brand New IP, Will Announce Another Game Soon

11m ago - Key Atlus figures talk about what the company has been up to, in this week’s issue of Famitsu mag... | Industry

See How 21 Real Life Locations Would Look Like in The Last of Us Universe

11m ago - GotGame: Naughty Dog artists have reimagined some real life locations in order to show us how the... | PS3

Can the Wii U benefit from HD remakes?

12m ago - GotGame: In the aftermath of Nintendo’s E3 showing, it is clear that the company is in the proces... | Wii U

Study Game Design at DeVry

The Last of Us: Remastered – Review | Playstationer

14m ago - The world of the Last of Us: Remastered will hit you harder, is much more visceral, and will lea... | PS4