Submitted by Rob_P 664d ago | opinion piece

Ten Best Games of This Generation

Bag of Games takes a look at the ten best games of this console generation. (PC, PS3, Wii, Xbox 360)

« 1 2 »
ShugaCane  +   664d ago
"Our ten favourite games of this generation" would be a more accurate title.
Rob_P  +   664d ago
It goes without saying that any "best" list is going to be subjective though.
#1.1 (Edited 664d ago ) | Agree(24) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
ShugaCane  +   664d ago
I definately agree on that. But when I read "Bag of Games takes a look at the ten best games of this console generation", I can't help thinking "Well...that's YOUR opinion" lol. Anyway, you're right.
MikeMyers  +   663d ago
My top 10 in no order

1. Uncharted
2. Bioshock
3. Assassins Creed
4. Borderlands
5. Mass Effect
6. Forza
7. Super Mario Galaxy
8. Demon Souls (and Dark Souls)
9. Batman
10. NHL
omi25p  +   663d ago
10. Uncharted 2
9. Call Of Duty 4
8. Halo 3
7. Bioshock
6. Fallout 3
5. Mass Effect 2
4. Batman Arkham City
3. The Walking Dead
2. Red Dead Redemption
1. Grand Theft Auto IV

Honorable mentions, Max Payne 3, Gear of war 2, Infamous 2, Portal 2,Battlefield 3 (Multiplayer), Assassins Creed 2, Alan Wake, Dead Space.
#1.1.3 (Edited 663d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(10) | Report
JoySticksFTW  +   663d ago
No love for MGS4? Maaaan...

Top 10 for me so far would be like Demon's Souls or MGS4 for the top spot, followed by Uncharted 1, Mass Effect 1, Gears 1, Infamous 1, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Burnout Paradise, and Dragon Age Origins, in no particular order.

MGS4 was a love letter to MGS fans, with uncompromising fan service.

Demon's Souls was a love letter to the hardcore gamer, with uncompromising (yet fair!!) challenge and difficulty.

I think the "uncompromising" factor needs to be looked at by more devs. Don't try to COD-ize everything to appeal to the mass market.

Just make the game you want to make. Not everyone is going to understand your vision, but being different will give it a chance to stand out from all of the other cookie-cutter crap.

After all, Haters gonna hate anyways (da cut scenez!! da difikulty!!). You might as well show them your idea of fun.
Rob_P  +   663d ago
@JoySticksFTW Demon's Souls and MGS4 would definitely be worthy of the list as well. It also bugs me that Red Dead Redemption didn't quite make the cut. Ultimately, boiling it down to just 10 is really hard.
charted  +   663d ago
1. GTA San Andreas (not sure which gen, but the best)
2. Assassin Creed
3. Bioshock
4. Uncharted 1 (Because it layed the footsteps for the next 2 games.)
5. Red Dead Redemption

+ many more.
JoySticksFTW  +   663d ago
Gah!

How'd I forget Red Dead?!

Jeez, I've been gaming since Atari 2600 and this gen was truly something special.

I don't think you really can go wrong with a top 10 list. Might need a top 25!

And Rob_P, your site gets a rate up for not putting one game per page for ten pages. Can't stand that junk. Thanks! :D
#1.1.7 (Edited 663d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
Ni No Kuni.. And The Last of US might be on the next list just before next gen.
#1.2 (Edited 663d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
StrongMan  +   664d ago
Great list!

The PS3 dominated the list with three of top the ten games being PS3 exclusives, one was a Wii exclusive, and the remaining six games were multi plats.
Walker  +   664d ago
Uncharted 2 should be on Top 3 !
GusBricker  +   664d ago
I think you mean 2 PS3 exclusives.

He put Dark Souls not Demons Souls.
charted  +   663d ago
How can someone disagree with you?

Are they retarded?
GreenRanger  +   664d ago
Oblivion was better than Skyrim in all but graphics, IMO.
#3 (Edited 664d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(10) | Report | Reply
GusBricker  +   663d ago
Disagree. Having to go to Oblivion so many damn times got boring and tedious.
GreenRanger  +   663d ago
You're only forced to go to Oblivion three times.
The Oblivion gate at Kvatch, the one near Bruma that you enter with Captain Burd, and the Great Gate north of Bruma.
Every other gate can be avoided.
#3.1.1 (Edited 663d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(2) | Report
GusBricker  +   663d ago
Yeah, well, I'm a completionist. Gotta finish everything.
Kezwar  +   663d ago
I loved Obligations Oblivion but Skyrim is better in every way. Skyrim feels so much more organic. I honestly can't think of a single area where Oblivion is better.
BitbyDeath  +   663d ago
I prefer Skyrim over Oblivion cause I didn't like how everything leveled up with you. (Enemies, weapons, etc)

Skyrim gave a bit more room with some enemies being near impossible while others only took one slash.

Same goes for weapons where you could find absolute treasures in Skyrim but Oblivion just gave you whatever was needed to fight the next guy coming at you.
xPhearR3dx  +   664d ago
Skyrim is my #1. I have over 300 hours into the Xbox version and purchased all the DLC. Recently switched to PC gaming, bought Skyrim and all the DLC again and close to 100 hours. The vast amount of mods for Skyrim and the quality of work put into them is amazing. Really makes the game perform better, and feel like a completely new experience.
Gamer-40  +   663d ago
The Witcher 2?
Xenoblade?
Zelda SS?

2 hours Journey better than this three games?
LOL.
#5 (Edited 663d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(13) | Report | Reply
Hicken  +   663d ago
Yep. It is. In fact, for me, it's better than all the other games on their list.
-GametimeUK-  +   663d ago
You underestimate the appeal of Journey. I wouldn't knock someone who said it was their best game of all time. I find it to be an amazing experience.
Gamer-40  +   663d ago
Journey nice and beautiful music, but not better GAME than Witcher 2, Zelda, Xeno.

Well, i think Limbo better arcade game than Journey.

-Subjective-
Fateful_Knight  +   663d ago
I love how The Walking Dead beats out Bioshock and Uncharted 2. Who's brilliant idea was that? I tried The Walking Dead and deleted it 3 hours in because i couldn't play it without falling asleep. That's my subjective experience.
medman  +   663d ago
The Walking Dead is vastly overrated in my opinion. I heard so much about it and how great it was, when it went on sale over the Christmas holidays I picked it up for ten bucks. It's not really a game at all, it's an exercise in storytelling where the player is being dragged along for the ride. Bioware tells a brilliant story with the Mass Effect series. If you want dialog trees, play that series for an idea of how to do it brilliantly. By comparison, the Walking Dead felt stiff and exceedingly repetitive. How it won game of the year from certain publications is beyond me. I wouldn't say it wasn't worth playing, but again, I payed ten bucks. For that price it was worth it. But if I had payed even twenty dollars for the game, I would have been very upset with my purchase. It doesn't belong on a list of games of this generation.
Kezwar  +   663d ago
I think Beethovens third sympathy is overrated. This opinion is worthless.
Novistador  +   663d ago
Bought The Walking dead (with all the chapters) for 15$, was worth. I also enjoy the show and graphic novels so, I thought the story was great. not better than Bioshock, but to each is their own.
stragomccloud  +   663d ago
Of course "best" will always be subjective. As for me, if we can count a franchise's collective awesomeness(provided it is part of the same canon) as a title, then my personal favorite 10 in no particular order are...

Uncharted
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Fragile Dreams
Assassin's Creed series
Mass Effect series
No More Heroes series
Alan Wake
Xenoblade
Last Story
Lost Odyssey

Man... It's hard to only pick 10! I feel bad leaving games like Bioshock out simply because there were games that I liked more...

What about you guys?
#7 (Edited 663d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
HonestDragon  +   663d ago
True. Best lists are all personal opinion. Their list was pretty good. The whole time I'm thinking, "Please don't have all sports games and first person military shooters." Thank goodness that wasn't the case.

For me, though, I have a lot of favorites, so I think (in no particular order) I will list ten games (a few franchises as well) that have done something different this generation. It would be that one element that separates this game from many others.

Assassin's Creed series - For the immersion into environment interactivity across time periods no one often bothers with.

Batman: Arkham series - For the amazing combat and gadgets that match Batman's ability to do his crusade against crime.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - For the incredible, single player driven experience with great player choice in combat.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - For the Wii Motion Plus mechanic of sword fighting as Link, while giving us a great epic tale.

Mass Effect series - For the beautiful blend of RPG elements and epic narrative that many gamers love (even though the third game did disappoint).

Minecraft - For taking simulation games with a unique look and making it one of the most satisfying experiences around.

Portal 2 - For showing that a little puzzle game can turn into a well written and intelligent game with the original concept of the Portal Gun.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - For bringing the Uncharted series to its peak by raising the stakes and perfecting the gameplay.

Vanquish - For the Augmented Reaction Suit that made you feel like a speedy powerhouse capable of fantastic stunts.

It's tough trying to pick ten main ones. Those are at least mine for now.
#7.1 (Edited 663d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
stragomccloud  +   663d ago
Good list. Those were some great games!
-GametimeUK-  +   663d ago
I can't argue with that list. My list wouldn't be like this one, but I can see why you have chose these franchises. I really need to play Vanquish. I have had it since launch and have only done the first 2 or 3 missions lol. I would replace the Assassins Creed series with the Souls series in a heartbeat, though.
KuroiTori  +   663d ago
Great list!
Thepharaoh  +   663d ago
Lost Odyssey was the stuff
Lisica  +   663d ago
Why is this in a PC section?
baraka007  +   663d ago
other than journey and uc2 they are all pc games I guess that's why?
Lisica  +   663d ago
The ten best games of this console generation.
telekeneticmantis  +   663d ago
Why
is Skyrim number 2. I'll never understand the level of interest in that game. I had it and it ot boring very fast.
NeoTribe  +   663d ago
You must not like open world rpgs. It only got boring for me after 200 hours. Thats pretty good to me.
GamingWorldPeace  +   663d ago
My Top 10 in no order:

God of War 3
Uncharted 1
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
Heavy rain
Red Dead Redemption
Gears of War 1
Killzone 2
Little Big Planet 1
Metal Gear 4
xabmol  +   663d ago
Finally, a MGS fan. I'd probably give MGO the #1 spot, followed by MGS4. Then Demon/Dark Souls at #3. With Uncharted 2 in 4th, and I can't even make it to 5 without wanting to name 50 different games(from LBP to BFBC2).
-GametimeUK-  +   663d ago
I'm an MGS fan. I just don't think that MGS4 was "that" good. The first 2 acts are brilliant, but the rest of the game disappointed me. MGO was fantastic, though.
OmniSlashPT  +   663d ago
To be honest, this list could be the other way around and it would still make more sense than it is atm

The first Portal was a 3h puzzle game, I found Portal 2 to be better in every single aspect, it has better characters, dialogues, better puzzles and tricks and a overall better flow and pace.

And there are many games that deserve a top 10 spot. Games like LBP, MGS4, RDR or Heavy Rain deserve the top 10 much more than Batman, Walking Dead or even SMG. And im not even mentioning God of War III, AC2 or Gears 1.
nintendoland  +   663d ago
My top 10 in no order.

-Terraria (best of this generation)
-Binding of Isaac
-Super Smash Bros. Brawl
-Super Hexagon
-Sonic Chronicles
-Battlefield 3 (worst of the list)
-Rhythm Paradise
-GoldenEye 007
-Super Meat Boy
-Mario Kart Wii
superterabyte  +   663d ago
torchic  +   663d ago
very no.
LOL_WUT  +   663d ago
Just no
stragomccloud  +   663d ago
Everyone has different tastes, and those games are all good picks.
jakmckratos  +   663d ago
What is this..I don't even..

The ONLY game that is remotely worth mentioning on that pathetic piece of sadness is Super Mario Galaxy. Brawl was fun as hell but not a significant jump as Galaxy was..even at that it def wasn't top ten at ALL
Deku-Johnny  +   663d ago
Don't understand all the disagrees, that's pretty much saying that there is a right and wrong answer when it comes to something like this. There are a few brilliant games on your list.
Novistador  +   663d ago
Terraria and BoI are great choices, dont let the sony trolls get to you.
stragomccloud  +   661d ago
Seriously, lists are subjective and have a lot to do with our personal tastes and past experiences.
I must admit I have not played a umber of those games, but I've heard lots of good things.
NobodyImportant  +   663d ago
Terrari is fantastic!!

Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Sonic Chronicles are utter utter horse sh1t.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but ... no, nintendoland you're wrong.
Mr_Stark  +   662d ago
Interesting you don't like Brawl. What did you think to Sony's clone?
NobodyImportant  +   662d ago
I thought it was rubbish.

Don't think you'll catch me out by making me look like a Sony Fanboi.
If something is poor I'll say so. I don't have allegiance to a console manufacturer.

I don't care what comsole a game comes on. Smash Brothers Melee was better. Brawl is just more of the same but with a broken online.

And before this gen I was always Nintendo. NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube. It's only the last two gens when Nintendo has gone weak that I've jumped ship.

And I did own a Wii for a while to play twilight princess to 120 star Mario Galaxy then I sold it. I also played Metroid coruption, but the graphics were ugly and last gen and the game was exactly the same as Prime.
oIITSBIIo  +   663d ago
My top 10 :

Batman AC
Batman AA
The witcher 2
Gears of war 2
Tribes Ascend
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Bastion
Portal 2
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Red Dead Redemption

I think Bioshock Infinite will be in 3rd place .
xabmol  +   663d ago
BFBC2? Oh yeah!

Hope we get a Bad Co.3 next gen.
-GametimeUK-  +   663d ago
This generation has been the best ever. I don't think I could possibly pick my top 10 games. Dark Souls, Uncharted 2, Red Dead Redemption, Portal 2 and Mario Galaxy would be included, but the rest would be really hard to include. If I actually put some thought into this I think I would surprise myself. Journey could possibly even make my cut... maybe :-)
#14 (Edited 663d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Jakens  +   663d ago
This has been a good generation. I do believe the lenth of some game development has slowed down how many games has come out.

Either that or I don't know what.
wenaldy  +   663d ago
My top ten:

Tetris
Pacman
Contra
Goonies
Duck Hunt
Track & Field
Nuts and Milk
Sky Destroyer
Road Fighter
Mappy
superterabyte  +   663d ago
Don't know if you think your funny but its top 10 this generation.You overate those games because of nostalgia. Other than tetris and pacman none of those games belong in a top ten list of all time anyway. Fucking hipster
MysticStrummer  +   663d ago
Welcome to the present. I think you'll find gaming has evolved quite a bit.
GABRIEL1030  +   663d ago
9 of 10 games were released for PS3. My list is:
1. Killzone 2.
2. Mass effect 2.
3. Metal Gear Solid 4.
4. Deus EX
5. Halo Reach
6. Gears of War 2.
7. Uncharted 2.
8. Call of Duty Modern warfare 3.
9. Battlefield 3.
10.Red dead Redemption.
Emzx99  +   663d ago
Any "top" list with Mass Effect 2, or 3 is just flat out wrong. Those games ruined the lore, and I have hours and hours of video proof. Youtube.com/smudboy
Gamer-40  +   663d ago
Best games always be subjective.

My list is:

6. Mass Effect 2
5. Resistance 3
4. Red Dead Redemption
3. God of War 3
2. Uncharted 2
1. Last of Us.

That's right bitches..Im making the call. It'll be the top game EVER. (Although if I wasn't being annoying Uncharted 2 would still have the top spot and I'd prob put Halo Reach or Assassin's Creed 2 in the top 10 place)
#19 (Edited 663d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
NateCole  +   663d ago
There are way to many games. For me though.

1. MGS4
5.Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
6.Portal
7.Bioshock
8.Final Fantasy XIII
9.Batman Arkham City
10.Battlefield Bad Company 2

I really enjoyed this gen, cheers to the next one!
KuroiTori  +   663d ago
I'd like to add honorable mentions, because I had so many games I enjoyed this cycle.

TES Skyrim and Oblivion
6.infamous 2
7.bad company 2
8.tales of graces f
9.smash brothers brawl
10.halo 3
MysticStrummer  +   663d ago
So many people love Mass Effect. I'm not feeling it so far. I'm not hating it, but I don't understand why it's so loved either. It reminds me of Alpha Protocol. Both have good stories and the ability to change things with your words and actions, but both also have really awkward shooting gameplay, with animations and AI that could have used more polish. ME's graphics are better, but I like AP's conversation system better. I do like ME better than Dragon Age: Origins though. Anyway, I'm still on ME1 so maybe the rest of the trilogy will help me see why anyone would mention any game in the series as a best of generation candidate.
animegamingnerd  +   663d ago
trust me ME1 hasn't age that well while i still love to this day 2 and 3 are a lot more polish but the story's aren't as good
baraka007  +   663d ago
Mass Effect's shooting sucks in the first one. Wait till the second one, you'll love the combat and the story more IMO.
#23.2 (Edited 663d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
urwifeminder  +   663d ago
Battlestations and shadowrun for me.
StreetsofRage  +   663d ago
Very nice. It's good to see somebody that thinks outside the box. 2 awesome games.
urwifeminder  +   662d ago
Cheers two games that had gameplay that i have never encounted before or since very innovative.
JasonX43  +   663d ago
Although Arkham Asylum was good, I think Arkham City should've been on this list instead. IGN gave it a 10 of 10 and called it the best use of a character license in video game history!
BitbyDeath  +   663d ago
I like a bit of variety in genre so -

10. Motorstorm - Pacific Rift
9. Little Big Planet 2
8. Tokyo Jungle
7. Toy Story 3 (yes Toy Story 3)
6. inFamous 2

3. RED DEAD REDEMPTION
4. NBA 2K11
5. BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY
6. MASS EFFECT 2
7. HEAVY RAIN
8. LA NOIRE
9. SUPER STREET FIGHTER 4 (tie) / MORTAL KOMBAT (tie)
10. GOD OF WAR III
11. LITTLE BIG PLANET
12. JOURNEY
13. RATCHET & CLANK: A CRACK IN TIME
14. MLB: THE SHOW 10
#28 (Edited 663d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
StrawberryDiesel420  +   663d ago
I know Demon's Souls would be my number one, that game was something else. The online alone makes it the best game this generation.
level 360  +   663d ago
Honestly Skyrim became a modders' dream by putting out a lot of softcore material.

Gameplay experience that advances the **cause of gaming I say Uncharted 2 is my number 1.
« 1 2 »

5 PS4 games that defined Sony's next-gen console in its first year

25m ago - PSU takes a look at the five games that defined Sony's console in its first year. | PS4

Anima: Gate of Memories Trailer Shows Off Combat, Platforming, Bosses

48m ago - Provided all goes well, Anima: Gate of Memories will go into beta at the end of January, the game... | PC

H1Z1 Battle Royale Mod Confirmed

1h ago - H1Z1 will feature a version of the Battle Royale game mod on release. | PC

Despair: Americana Dawn's Kickstarter failed to reach its goal

2h ago - Japanator: "Oh my. I never expected that it would come to this, but I'm afraid that Americana Daw... | PC

Win a PS4!!

Now - Join us on Filmwatch to find out how you can win a free PS4 this holiday season! | Promoted post

Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare – 6 Essential Tips To Rank Up Fast

2h ago - So you’ve given in to the hype and bought a copy, as everyone’s been telling you how amazing it i... | PC