Submitted by superdarrin82 497d ago | opinion piece

What Microsoft Needs To Do To Sell Me The New Xbox

Darrin Wright of The Game Fanatics has been through a lot with Microsoft. How can they win him back? (Microsoft, Xbox One)

xJumpManx  +   497d ago
That should be true for Sony and Microsoft. Sonys was awful at release for the ps3 and Microsoft finished slow compared to how well it launched.
superdarrin82  +   497d ago
Sony's definitely not blameless. That price tag alone was nuts.

**EDIT** Someone actually disagrees with me on the price tag issue? Really??
#1.1 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(25) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
zebramocha  +   497d ago
True, but I believe it was high solely on tech and them being a bit out of touch with consumers than it being just for the sake of it.
#1.1.1 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(1) | Report
fOrlOnhOpe57  +   497d ago
@superdarrin82
I would actually disagree with your statement. It's an old chesnut but considering you bought a blu ray player built into exotic architecture that I daresay, will STILL produce eyewatering results for a few years more yet - in the hands of the right devs - I think it was a hell of an investment. And still is.
Also, dont forget, the world wasnt sunk in the financial recession it is now.
xJumpManx  +   497d ago
@zebramocha

The PS3 was expensive and did not even launch with Rumble support and the launch games were not very good.
mayberry  +   496d ago
I disagreed with your statement of the $600 launch price point. I personaly, had absolutely no qualms about it. walked out spending around $900 actually. Typing this response on my never serviced, always on launch 60G PS3 now. The year or two that others waited before adopting, I was playing great exclusives like Motorstrorm, Resistance: Fall of man, and all the multi-plats etc.. Sony hasn't let me down at all this gen personally. My 360 has been fun too, well after the disc door wouldn't stay closed and had to send it in after 4 months after I got it for Forza. But lack of exclusives has me feeling a tad abandoned by Microsoft.
AngelicIceDiamond  +   497d ago
1.)Showcase the 720 as a gaming machine first.

2.)Brand new games. Show us what all those new
studios they opened up are working on.

3.)Revamp XBL. Make MP, Netflix and Hulu free right from the get go. While charging for other big features that'll be introduced. (PSN+ type deals along with free movies, games music, TV shows etc.) (Or MS cloud game streaming service) make those under the paid subscription.

4.) Don't block used games.

5.) Seeing how Kinect will exist again make games "Better With Kinect" instead of Kinect only games.

Not Worried About.

*App partnerships

*Brand new Social integration's

*Faster, Quicker, Revamped Dash.

*Casual, Family Friendly Games Utilizing Kinect.
#1.2 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
cooperdnizzle  +   497d ago
I agree with you 100% Good post man. Bubbles
NYC_Gamer  +   497d ago
1)Variety of core exclusives
2)Xbl gold turning into a PS+ like service
superdarrin82  +   497d ago
If XBL mimicked PS+, it'd be so awesome.
StrongMan  +   497d ago | Well said
To sell me MS would have to:

ditch the Kinect focus
get back to core gaming
create new IPs
put the left analog stick in the right place on controller
let me play online for free like everyone else
make reliable hardware
let me access my Netflix account for free like everyone else
have a PS+ like service
don't charge extortionate prices for HDDs
let me watch Youtube for free like everyone else
stop buying exclusive DLC instead of new IPs
include wifi in the console at launch
let me use Facebook for free like everyone else
no batteries in the controller
no wired controllers at launch
let me use Twitter for free like everyone else
don't lie about 4 player kinect games
don't make the console run loud at launch
don't lie about scanning objects to use in game with kinect
I have to see lots of core new IP announcements to trust them
don't lie about your faulty hardware if it happens again
let me use a web browser for free like everyone else
no flimsy cheap mic in the box
let me listen to internet radio for free like everyone else
no laggy interface designed for kinect
a better Netflix app
let me access my Hulu+ account for free like everyone else
ditch the MS points and use real dollar amounts
day one digital release on new games
let me do video chat for free like everyone else
assure me that my discs won't scratch in the console anymore
let me play used games like everyone else
not require the console to be online at all times
no watermarked discs
put Blu-Ray in the next console
no more disc swapping like everyone else
7.1 digital surround sound
full 1080p capable
allow me to use any bluetooth earpiece of my choice
let me put any laptop HDD in that I want
let me use any size usb thumbstick that I want
#3 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(34) | Disagree(34) | Report | Reply
Funky Town_TX  +   497d ago | Funny
You should include: change name to Sony.
Outside_ofthe_Box  +   497d ago
lol
just-joe  +   497d ago
One bubble for a funny.
blackbeld  +   497d ago
@Strongman

Nah Microsoft blind fanboys don't deserve such great things.
#3.1.3 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(8) | Report
miyamoto  +   497d ago
LOL!

Like Stave Ballmer should change his last name to "Jobs".

Mwahahahhaha!

seriously
Strong man know the 360 inside and out more than anyone else.
lol!

Know your enemy I suppose.

@mwjw696

"MS has 18+ Studios"

all working on Kinect 2.0

ROFL!
#3.1.4 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(5) | Report
Dragos75  +   497d ago
In other words it doesn't matter what they do because you will never like it.
stage88  +   497d ago
Did you not read his comment? All those things need to be done in order to gain interest in MS.
kenshiro100  +   497d ago
Learn how to read. He's not attacking Microsoft or the 360.

Some people just want Microsoft to succeed. Shocking, I know.

InMyOpinion: There's plenty of trolls on this site for the 360 too.
#3.2.2 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(15) | Report
InMyOpinion  +   497d ago
If you have read Stongmans post comments you know nothing could get him to buy something from "M$". He's just a rampant troll.
kickerz  +   497d ago
@ shadow. Dude who are you trying to kid. good old strongman attacks every single Xbox article without a doubt. It's like he ain't got a life or something.
@ kietz I agree with your list apart from controller . I think Xbox controller is awesome and the best. Just my opinion though.
stage88  +   497d ago
Well said StrongMan but MS will never consider this so I will take my money and gaming elsewhere.
Dragos75  +   497d ago
You obviously didn't read the list or you are just like him.
Kietz  +   497d ago
Could have just said

PS+ like service
More core games
Don't charge for anything non-Microsoft related (youtube, netflix, etc)
Dual-Shock is the only way!!!!1

See, it's a much more concise list. Not that I feel you weren't trying to make the list as long as possible.

Wonder why you have one bubble...
DigitalSmoke  +   497d ago
Added

Don't say you have 1080p wile you run a blurred out version of it.
Don't have a 100% failure rate at launch.
Don't make me pay for your badly fabricated console when it dies.
Don't make me pay for online wile still ripping me off by maing me look at adverds.
Don't try to trick me on E3 with singers on a stage selling me shit
Don't hire an audience to scream on camera for some mediocre ew IP that never got from the ground.
Plz leave the hobbit out of it as well.
Don't exclude a real media player so we dont get shafted again by buying one and then having it disapear from the market.
Don't try to trick me by showing of CGI only video's in comercials acting like its Halo in real time.

Just...Don't.
maniacmayhem  +   497d ago
Do you seriously troll every MS article?
fOrlOnhOpe57  +   497d ago
@ Strongman
lol....have a bubble
#3.7 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
StrongMan  +   497d ago
Am I not allowed an opinion? I don't care what any of you think so why do you care what I think? Anyone who don't worship the console that you do is a fanboy now? Whatever.

I want any non-fanboy to tell me which one of my points that they don't want from the next Xbox.
Hicken  +   497d ago
You stretched the list out a bit, but I agree overall.

Oddly enough, I liked the original Xbox controller, but the 360 controller doesn't appeal to me. I just can't get with it.

I will NEVER pay to play online when I'm already paying for internet. That will definitely have to change before I buy a Microsoft product.

Be consistent with core game support. It's fine if you wanna promote Kinect, but it SHOULD NOT be your primary focus. Don't let 3rd parties pick up the slack: pump out your own core games, and not just the same few franchises. I know plenty of people enjoy Gears and Halo and so on, but those games haven't enticed me thus far; gonna need more than that to pull me in, obviously. Lost Odyssey 2 would be a great start.

I don't think they'll block used games, so I'm not worried about that. If they DO, however, that's an automatic no-buy.

Reliability and accountability are also musts. Addressing the RROD should NOT have taken two years. It was evident after six months that it was an issue that needed to be dealt with. Likewise, the issues that XBL has faced- and let's not pretend NOTHING has ever gone wrong- have been rather unapologetically blamed on the users. According to Microsoft, Major Nelson fell for a phishing scheme when his account was changed to Russian a few years back. That seems likely...

Keeping up with the PS4, capability-wise, would be nice. Doesn't have to be more powerful. Doesn't have to have the same features. Just needs to be competitive, or otherwise have a price that reflects that it ISN'T competitive.

IF all these things are present(or not present, as the case may be), I will buy this Microsoft product.

Edit: I'm getting a LOT of disagrees, but it seems like nobody in here is willing to rebut anything I've said. Was something unreasonable?

Or was it just because some of you want me to be perceived as trolling? I imagine the Microsoft fanboys want just that. In spite of their desires, however, I love gaming, so I'd be happy to see Microsoft pumping out the games.

Sadly, I'm not sure if I see that.
#3.8.1 (Edited 496d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(7) | Report
StreetsofRage  +   497d ago
It's hard to respect your opinion when your tongue is far up the ps3s hdmi port.
AngelicIceDiamond  +   497d ago
And other Sony sheep continue to blindly and stupidly follow this strong kid like a cult leader.

Listen to this.

"put the left analog stick in the right place on controller."

What do you mean by that, to make it more like PlayStation's controller? That's funny. Xbox's controller is great the way it is hopefully they tweak it to make playing fighters better but overall the Xbox controller is great.

"let me access my Netflix account for free like everyone else ."

"let me watch Youtube for free like everyone else."

"let me use Facebook for free like everyone else."

let me listen to internet radio for free like everyone else."

Instead he could of just said let me use "apps" for free instead of repeating the same thing over and over again.

Trying to put Xbox under the negative lens last I checked the PS3 was no saint either.
#3.9 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
ThanatosDMC  +   497d ago
You disagree with:

"let me access my Netflix account for free like everyone else ."

"let me watch Youtube for free like everyone else."

"let me use Facebook for free like everyone else."

What the...
SDF Repellent  +   497d ago
@InMyOpinion
"If you have read Stongmans post comments you know nothing could get him to buy something from "M$"

Oh, and I bet you he is using his PS3 Web browser to log in to N4G instead of his PC and Windows. That is what I call dedication and brand loyalty.

BTW, wasn't Strongman down to one bubble as of yesterday for the amount of reported trolling? Now he is back at 2. Are there any Mods working here???
#3.10 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
Loki86  +   497d ago
Things I want from the new Playstation:

- Don't put your client data on archaic apache servers with little to no protection.
- Don't release an open source GUI that can be directly hacked to interfere with the end users experience.
- Do not march Jack Tretton on the stage everytime they reach some random milestone (which normally shows units or products shipped not sold.)
- Don't copy every great innovation that comes out, that you mocked the year before.

These are several of the reasons I have been very opposed to supporting Sony, although I was given a PS3 for Christmas 2 years ago.
Oh_Yeah  +   496d ago
Those gripes are so miniscule and bother very few people to be even considered cons though, even the 1st one which I can understand would be valid except there were NO reports of credit card fraud after the breach.. And if your worried about that you know you can pay through PayPal or prepaid visa/psn cards that's just the safer option. Microsofts cons though relate soley to greed...There's no way around not paying for multiplayer, app access, a small variety of AAA exclusives, expensive proprietary hard drives, those hundreds of thousands of broken 360s.. The list is big man.
#3.11.1 (Edited 496d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report
Loki86  +   496d ago
@OhYeah

No these are actually very serious issues that need addressed. The first two especially as they compromise information even if it happens to not be CC info. Running servers that are 8 years old with nothing but a basic firewall that hold all client data would be considered a huge violation in every other form of security. This is completely unacceptable and must change for the next-gen.
kma2k  +   497d ago
Not block used games, not always online, make kinect an option not requeired for use. Have a hell of a launch lineup
Funky Town_TX  +   497d ago
The next box will block used games, and require online connection? Was that confirmed?
kma2k  +   497d ago
of course its not confirmed, nothing is. But the article said what does microsoft need to do to sell me the new xbox & i will not be buying one if they block used games & require an online connection.
cedaridge  +   497d ago
For now just say the xbox is coming just like Sony did for ps4. But we all won't know anything until after e3.
Gamer-40  +   497d ago
3-4 new IP (UE4).
PGR5.
Forza 5.
Fable 4(UE4).
MGS.
New AAA JRPG.
Strong third party.
Backwards compatibility.
Good price.
Awesome design console&controller.
#6 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
Kamikaze135  +   497d ago
Kinect optional and good games.
deanobi  +   497d ago
Website down
superdarrin82  +   497d ago
Working on it.
kenshiro100  +   497d ago
I would like to see new, refreshing IPs and reliable hardware. The RROD is the reason why I didn't go with the 360 back in 2007.
amiga-man  +   497d ago
I will never even consider an xbox as long as online is taken away from you that is the biggest con this gen, I wonder how many xbox owners will be falling for it next gen?
#10 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
OlgerO  +   497d ago
Im skeptical of the next xbox, and hardly even see a possibility of them beating the PS4. All we know at this point is that microsoft has hardly any gaming studios under there wing, while sony has 12 owned studios that are all developing on PS4.
mwjw696  +   497d ago

Microsoft Studios – Redmond Publishing –
Platform Next Studios – Next generation core title
Playful Learning – Next generation family project
Skybox Sports – Next generation sports project
Turn 10 Studios – Forza Motorsport series -
Twisted Pixel Games – The Gunstringer, LocoCycle
Xbox Live Productions – South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play!, South Park: Tenorman's Revenge, Avatar Kinect

Europe
Lionhead Studios – Unannounced MMO-like New IP
Lift London – Multiple Cloud Based gaming projects
Rare Ltd.
Press Play – Untitled Project[25]

Canada
BigPark – Untitled Project - (an unannounced next generation title)
Microsoft Studios Victoria – Untitled Project
#11.1 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
JamieL  +   497d ago
Wow, you could even say that's more than Sony owns. 8^0
Brad13186  +   497d ago
While we would all love Xbox live to be free, I would also be fine with getting more for my money if they keep it a pay service. Look at Playstation plus. Why do us live users get the worst deals? Why did I get 20MP as a birthday present?

As for the RROD, I have had a 360 for 4 years now and have had one red ring in the first few months of owning my system. I sent it out and got it back with a free month of live and in a relatively short time. While I think finding a solution to having a system never die seems like the best idea, it also seems unrealistic and as long as I am treated like I was when my Xbox ringed, I can put up with it.

As for exclusives: Unfortunately developers are going to publish what sells. Its a business. Companies only care when you buy their stuff. If an exclusive like Halo 4 profits, there will be a Halo 5, simple as that. New Ips are a coin flip. Why take the chances on a coin flip when you know that you can re hash Call of Duty and make billions?
BlackTar187  +   497d ago
i dunno maybe try and hit another Homerun for future profits? COD won't last forever either will halo
josephayal  +   497d ago
The Xbox 720 is going to be a very profitable product, .i hope MS can give us a great and entertaining show
RuleofOne343  +   497d ago
Am sold on it no matter what.
I have no clue what am getting but who care's cause it's my money . Also who gives a fk what I spend it on & if some have issues with that may I suggest you worry about yourselves.
#14 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
kingmushroom  +   497d ago
I agree with you no one gives a flyingF*ck wha u or any one else dose with there money.
kingmushroom  +   497d ago
Sony won't make the same mistake.

Xbox720 better have the following if they want my business :

Bluray

New IP's

Focus more on hardcore games than Kinect

Have a basic free to play Online

Cost around $399 to $450

AND NO RROD ERRORS !!
urwifeminder  +   497d ago
Sold allready thanks.
STARRHUNTER29   497d ago | Immature | show

Ashly Burch announces that she will be in Persona Q

1h ago - Voice actress and internet personality Ashly Burch has announced on her twitter that she will hav... | 3DS

The Best Android RPGs You’ve Never Heard Of (2014 edition) : Hardcore Droid

1h ago - Hardcore Droid - Perhaps you’re like me, and you like your RPGs epic and long-standing. That’s go... | Android

Diluvion "Journey of the Lionfish" Trailer Released

1h ago - Showcasing a unique mishmash art style, Diluvion appears to feature semi-realistic deep sea explo... | PC

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair 2nd Trailer Looks as Wacky as Ever

1h ago - Twinfinite writes: NIS America has released a new trailer for Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair f... | PS Vita

Start Making Games for the PS4

‘Game Journalism Simulator’ Exists

1h ago - If you couldn't get enough simulator games such as Goat Simulator or Surgeon Simulator, maybe Gam... | Dev