Submitted by legendoflex 568d ago | opinion piece

PS4′s Lineup Looks More PS3-Style Than PS2-Style

GenGAME writes: "I heaped a lot of praise on the PlayStation 4 reveal for keeping things mostly focused on games. It’s a great way to kick off the hype for a new console – in fact, it should really be the only way to do the job. These are game consoles; the focus should always be on the games.

"That said, so far it’s kind of hard to get excited about the games that were shown. Focusing on games first is one thing; focusing on games that have a good chance at revitalizing the PlayStation brand to its PS2 high is quite another. Unfortunately for PS4, I’m getting more of a PS3 vibe than a PSone or PS2 vibe – and given the current state of the games industry, that could hold PS4 back from achieving massive success." (Crash Bandicoot, Driveclub, inFamous: Second Son, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Knack, PS4)

majiebeast  +   568d ago | Well said
Yeah i heard Sony isnt gonna go to E3 and show off more games they gonna sit this 1 out... Great journalism and logic right here.
legendoflex  +   568d ago
I don't base my impressions on imaginary maybes. Note that I specifically said "the games that were shown." I'm sure more will show up at E3, but there's no guarantee that they'll be any more exciting than the initial reveals.
#1.1 (Edited 568d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(83) | Report | Reply
Nitrowolf2  +   568d ago
But you are basing it on information that's going to be different in 7-10 months when the console launches. We have til E3, and of course your not going to base it on "maybes" but honestly did you not see that list of studio Sony showed? All eyes will be at E3, not just at Sony but every other third party showings. Really don't think nothing else exciting won't get revealed?

Sony didn't even need to show off any games TBH, it's more than what most expected. The event, like most thought was simply for the PS4 reveal. E3 will focus more on it, with more games. Sure we won't get PS2 type of games, but that doesn't mean the line-up is bad. PS3 launch line-up wasn't that good, and this one is already looking better.
#1.1.1 (Edited 568d ago ) | Agree(41) | Disagree(1) | Report
DatNJDom81  +   568d ago
*yawn* story sucks. Next.
classic200  +   568d ago

Everything was going good until that statement, you do realize trying to be Nostradamus against a gaming company that have.

Naughty dog unannounced project
Guerilla games new IP
santa monica new IP
Quantic dream new IP (maybe not showed)
Ready at dawn new Ip

Your going into a E3 that might even show more mind blowing games, you dont even see coming. I doubt sony would show the best things they have right now.
HammadTheBeast  +   568d ago
Then there is not new Microsoft console. Ever. It's a maybe.
DivineAssault  +   568d ago
Ya right! They didnt even show the system itself cuz they wanna show more good stuff later.. U think itl be a repeat & just the box itself? I want some of what your smoking
MysticStrummer  +   568d ago
"I don't base my impressions on imaginary maybes."

You sure as hell based your article on imaginary maybes.
sunnygrg  +   568d ago
The PS4 doom stories have already started lol.
Sandmano  +   568d ago
The event was over 2 hours long they had too focus on the Ps4 hardware not the games which they showed plenty off and actual gameplay. Maybe, umm I dont know... there saving some of those unannaounced games for e3?

In this case if your not going to use imaginary maybes then wait for e3 to finish and then release as much of these articles as you would have evidence to back it up.

Also I hope that you know that when your assuming that the launch lineup is more ps3, your using "imaginary maybes" right?
dafegamer  +   568d ago
playstation meetings always focus more on hardware btw
aceitman  +   568d ago
im really tired of these articles that put sony down .is it the site has nothing more to talk about than to bash sony . there games in early development something to show , is that all u can judge and as a writer you should now that( early development- pre beta stuff) and these developers are know to show a huge difference when a game is finalized. sony is doing a lot of things people said they should do and there still getting it from every direction. there the only platform company that gets it hard from the gaming media ( im not saying ms or Nintendo don't get it but nothing like sony does). y I don't understand.
joab777  +   568d ago
Yeah...the last guardian doesnt exist either. And media molecule isnt making anymore games. I heard naughty dog and sony santa monica are done after their releases this yr. And games like journey were just hyped. What is this guy talking about? And knack doesnt look charming?
morkendo23  +   568d ago
"focusing on games first is one thing;focusing on games that have a good chance at REVITALIZING playstation brand"

really??? remakes of crash bandicoot,spyro dragon,oddworld,castlevania,ea rth worm jim coming back??? i'll believe it when i see it.

j/k
Y_5150  +   568d ago
Well the only thing I see is that Shadow Fall is the PS4 FPS launch game while Resistance Fall of Man was PS3.
legendoflex  +   568d ago
I'm not really talking about launch games specifically. Just the "feel" of what's being shown generally speaking.
-Gespenst-  +   568d ago
I do sort of get where you're coming from. The conference had that sort of big empty, corporation-ey sort of feel to it. Like there was this veneer of "we love games", when it was actually "we like huge sums of wealth and expanding our consumer base and yadda yadda yadda." A lot of the games seemed really cheesy and broad and lowest common denominator. The Ps2 had more heart or something, it was a smaller, more niche thing back then.

Having said that, the Witness looks absolutely fantastic, and it's made by a really genuine and intelligent dude. It's like a modern day Myst. Can't wait.
SoapShoes  +   568d ago
Yeah... well the PS2 lineup was worse than the PS3s sooooo Idk what you're getting at.
brave27heart  +   568d ago
The feel of the PS2 comes from the games that were released AFTER launch. You have no idea how the PS4 is going to turn out but as someone old enough to remember the PS1 and PS2 launches believe me they didnt have that mystical fun element, that came after.

Also kudos to the author for basing their impression of Knack off one section of gameplay in a grey corridor and ignoring the other bits showing caves, woodlands and other bright and colourful areas. Its now a flat out race between how quick my respect for your site leaves the room and how quickly my finger can down vote your site.

What do you know, its a tie.
legendoflex  +   568d ago
Killzone looks great, but has never been a major system seller for Sony, and I don't expect it to start now. Same for inFAMOUS.

Knack looks like it's banking hard on the "made by the guy who made Crash Bandicoot and Jak & Daxter" thing without actually really capturing what made those games great.

Driveclub has a lot of potential, but for some reason I feel like it's meeting a need that's actually already met (by GT). There have been plenty of driving games on PlayStation platforms besides GT, but none of them have even come close in terms of relevance. Even then, GT's not as powerful as it used to be...

I dunno. I'm hoping they pull something out at E3 that's really impressive and surprising. So far it seems ho-hum.
Prodigy-X  +   568d ago
Your IQ must be low. How can you look at Killzone Shadow Fall and say that's not a system seller. Knack is for people who are looking for a platformer at launch. For you to sit up here and tell me your not impressed by DriveClub and that you don't believe it will see based of some history you deserved to get slapped a couple times. If Sony PlayStation comes out this holiday and show off commercials for Killzone, DriveClub, & one more exclusive your telling me people aren't going to be impress?

You shouldn't just base what they show in one meeting. We already know they have more games to show at E3 so quit judging them on a meeting that was base on just a reveal to get people ready and aware of whats to come this holiday.
#3.1 (Edited 568d ago ) | Agree(19) | Disagree(11) | Report | Reply
scott182  +   568d ago
meant for legendoflex^^

I see the point you're making but I just can't agree that the games were ho hum. I know killzone isn't a hot seller but just seeing it made my mouth water (not sure why, I wasn't hungry) It looks freaking amazing to me. And I love to see differant types of games like knack, it looks fun! These are exactly the types of games I was hoping they would be making. And they look fantastic to me.
#3.1.1 (Edited 568d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(0) | Report
-Gespenst-  +   568d ago
God the terms you use. You speak in PR speak, not gamer speak, "System seller".

And why are you so fiercely loyal to some big company? So belligerent. I bet you'd kill a man if Sony told you to.

His IQ is low? Killzone is a common denominator game. It deals broadly with broad themes in really accessible ways. I mean the wall between the Helghast city and the human city? The guy actually TALKING about the Berlin Wall before the video? I mean how pointed can you get? It does LOOK very impressive, but that's about it. Otherwise it's just another FPS. I mean do people not look at FPS' these days an just feel nauseous? So very tired of them.

Knack looks just as digestible as any Disney / Pixar film. Actually yeah, legendoflex makes a good point, the game is totally riding off the whole Crash Bandicoot creator thing. I doubt the game will have even one mote of a resemblance in spirit or in content to a Crash Bandicoot game.

Infamous just comes across as juvenile and empty in it's message and it's got that trite, edgy teenage anarchy vibe.

The guy's right, the titles shown all look meh (Except the witness), but launch titles almost always are. They'll be some gems down the line for sure.
#3.1.2 (Edited 568d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(17) | Report
KwietStorm  +   568d ago
His IQ must be low? He deserves to get slapped? He has his own opinion. You can disagree all you want. That's your prerogative. But wtf are you attacking him for?
thehitman  +   568d ago
To be honest any launch game that plays well and gets good ratings everyone will want to buy at the start due to lack of game selection so all they have to do is make a well recieved game by the critics and people will buy it. The system and everything else will sell itself and new and even old games will make new names for themselves. CoD was popular a bit before 360/ps3 but no where to the success it is now I believe every gen will have a new titanic.

Also looking at driveclub im not a huge racing fan but if I was it looks more appealing than GT (sry gt fans lol) and could be a huge hit if done properly. Knack idk about seems like a launch game to connect the younger kids and maybe the few older crowd who still cherish games they grew up on. KZ/infamous I have full faith in will be great games from the start never lost faith in Sony first party studios always pumped out great games that I never regretted buying ever. Whether they sell a lot or a little idc im a gamer as long as the games are good ill buy them.
#3.2 (Edited 568d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
CGI-Quality  +   568d ago
The problem with what you're saying here is it sounds like more of a rant on every single thing they showed, rather than observing the fair balance of content displayed. It was just what a "hype" conference needed, even though I agree that some of the games there don't pique my interest.

But therein lies just what Sony were aiming for, because while some titles didn't interest me, others did. Something for everyone, if you will. Hardly a PS3 vibe either.
first1NFANTRY  +   568d ago
Are you serious? wow dude take a step back and just think rationally for a second.

There's only a few words that needs to be said which makes this whole article redundant.

And that is "early pre-alpha demo footage".

Everything that was shown was no where near completion. That should be automatically understood.
saint_seya  +   568d ago
For someone that dont use imaginary maybes and saying all that of games that noone tried i believe u sir have a time machine!
Hicken  +   567d ago
Just... stop. You failed.

How may systems have inFamous and Killzone sold? Yeah, you have no clue. Oh, by the way: if Killzone is a launch title, I know a dozen people personally that will have the system at launch. I'm one of them.

Knack isn't TRYING to capture what made those games great. It's trying to be KNACK. Why would you assume it was trying to be some other game instead of its own game? Are you slow?

As a huge GT fan, Drive Club has me excited. It's something completely different. And it's something I'll definitely be getting. Going by your "logic," nobody should ever try to make another racing game because it won't be as big as GT.

And this has all been FOR THE SYSTEM ANNOUNCEMENT. You MUST be out of your mind if you think they were supposed to come with a truck load of games there.

Oh, and what games at the PS2 launch would you be comparing these games to? I... can't see that you did. So how do you expect to even compare the feels of the two different systems? You're basing it on games that released AFTER launch for the PS2, yet you don't even have a complete list of games that will released AT launch for the PS4.

It's entirely too obvious your comparison makes no sense.
smashcrashbash  +   568d ago
Yeah because Sony said 'That's all the games we will have' because everyone expected them to show all their hands before E3. Yawn.You guys are boring.When did gamers get so lame and boring? 'Looks more PS3 style then PS2 style' What the hell does that even mean? You mean variety and multiple choices in games? Lets face it. Unless they revealed Crash Bandicoot as a game NOTHING would have gotten many people going.
#4 (Edited 568d ago ) | Agree(21) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Blackdeath_663  +   568d ago
"Looks more PS3 style then PS2 style" WTF does that even mean?
kalkano  +   568d ago
It means everything is action-oriented in one way or another, and there's no variety...and TONS of shooters.

Plenty of time to announce more games before launch. But that's how it looks, for now.
PockyKing  +   568d ago
Everything action oriented? So I guess a puzzle game is considered action now? "scratches head"
HeavenlySnipes  +   568d ago
That puzzle game, a racing game, an open world action game, a shooter, and a platformer all before E3

But yeah, no variety
xursz  +   568d ago
Out of 10 games shown there was 2 first person shooters. And one is an online MMO.

You guys are really scraping the barrel for criticisms. -.-
Rainstorm81  +   568d ago
Media molecule showed an amazing user sculpted puppet show, which is probably tech for LBP3........I must've missed the explosions in that

Actually the only shooter shown was Killzone, and Destiny....maybe Watch dogs if u count that.

Besides when has Sony ever been know not to have variety???
brave27heart  +   568d ago
Two shooters is tons? So by your logic you father is made up of a ton of testicles?
kenshiro100  +   568d ago
I was wondering the same exact thing.
Picnic  +   568d ago
It means that there's nothing truly outright quirky in a way that isn't obviously busting its gut to hit you over the head with its ability to 'do more stuff'.
Watch stuff disintegrate in to more particles than ever before!

Ever play Gregory Horror Show / Haunting Ground on the PS2? Or some indie games on the PS3?

Some earlier games have a particular atmosphere that no generation since has matched. Mainly because far too many buyers cluelessly say the likes of 'WTF?' like you do.
#5.3 (Edited 568d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
nigelp520  +   568d ago
PS4 GAMES WERE SHOWN WEDNESDAY OF COURSE NOT MUCH GAMES HAVE BEEN SHOWN
smashcrashbash  +   568d ago
@ HeavenlySnipes Very good point.Also I am not sure how PS3 had NO variety to be saying that the line up is very PS3 like. In the years we have had the PS3 we have had just about ever genre imaginable including ones that can't even be classified like Journey,Flower and Unfinished Swan.They show one shooter and suddenly it is TONS of shooters.How many shooter series has Sony had during its existence? Resistance and Killzone.Even if you count UC that is only three.What TONS of shooters did Sony have? BTW add creative platformer to your list
PS4isKing_82  +   568d ago
Sony showed more game variety for a console not launching for another 10 months then Microsoft usually has all year for a console that's been out 8 years. And it's not even e3 yet. I smell fear from the Microsoft fans and it smells great!
kenshiro100  +   568d ago
...This article makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
momthemeatloaf  +   568d ago
All I want from ps2 era is a new crash bandicoot, jak and daxter, shadow of collosus and a socom built properly like ps2 socoms with hd graphics and upgrades.
WeAreLegion  +   568d ago
I can see this from both sides. He has a point that none of these games have been huge system sellers in the past. However, things change. Look at God of War I and II. Both of them sold fairly well. Nothing great. Then, God of War III comes out and totally blows away their sales numbers! People bought a PS3 just for God of War III. So, it really depends on many different factors. I think Killzone:SF will be the biggest launch title and will sell very well. I'm hoping inFamous: Second Son is a launch, as well. I want Sucker Punch to get the numbers they deserve.
poopsack  +   568d ago
Im not sure what point is really trying to be reached in this article, since the writer goes out of his way so many times to nit pick more than anything.

The options so far are scant, but its obviously because E3 isnt here yet. And trying to act like theres a chance NOTHING will be revealed at e3 to expand the Ps4's launch lineup is ridiculous. And brushing off titles like Infamous and Killzone because of previous sales numbers doesnt help your point either. These games are still options for every type of gamer. This article doesnt reach a real conclusion through its statements.

If your point was to actually claim its a lackluster direction in comparison to Ps2's you should of had actual examples to demonstrate that point.
#12 (Edited 568d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
first1NFANTRY  +   568d ago
lol here comes the delusional fanatical hate articles for the ps4. No matter how much you try to spin it, the ps4 is still coming and the sh!tstorm will be felt.

An this guy fails to comprehend that Sony still has free to play games like Planetside 2 and many others which will more than likely be revealed for the ps4 at some point.

Sony has too many AAA aces up their sleeve to one up the competition at any given time.
#13 (Edited 568d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
gamepard  +   568d ago
If Sony dosnt show somthing exceptionally good exclusive like MGS 5, monster HUNTER, FF smthing(VII remake) maybe RESIDENT EVIL or Dragons dogma will not have a good start ..they need their old core IP that characterize Playstation
MoonWheel  +   568d ago
If Sony can get the last guardian and final fantasy versus 13 as launch titles then the ps4 will sell extremely well at launch.
Cyrax4  +   568d ago
Poor article.

Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, & a plethora of other first party developers have yet to announce their new games.

If Sony had shown their complete lineup last week, they would have nothing special to show at E3.
T2  +   568d ago
Plus its like like 9 months away from launch .... 9 MONTHS away and hack "journalists" will do anything to say they didnt show this or that just to try and create some kind of buzz ... Pathetic. Plus they did show games so these articles are all negative speculation
CaulkSlap  +   568d ago
Planetside2 port at launch and they're golden. Nothing else in Sony's arsenal could do more damage to XBL and it's an easy move.
Biphter  +   568d ago
The PS2 launch lineup was a disaster. No games for nearly a year. The PS2 sold mainly on its DVD playing capabilityes in Japan. Absolutely nothing can be guessed based on game lineup at launch of any machine. As long as the price is low enough and keeps on dropping, then it will be much better than the PS3 scenario. The one key factor is price.
Legendary-Status  +   568d ago
hmm sony is set all the ps-meeting was for to let people know we ain't sleeping Ps4 is on the way..they are fin blow the roof off E3..The Last Guardian alone...will do damage by it's self...sony didn't even explain what the ps4 is really really about? all they was talking about was psn and gaikai and the sharing aspect that's it..he** i dont even no what the controller really does..console wasn't even shown...sit tight..they have to many card's up their sleeves to makes us really happy..sony's not let me repeat not..going to screw this up this time around..yeah they paid the price..but it's going to pay off someone had to lead into the future..now it's time to pay uppp lol..kzsf only 1.5 gb use omg!
#19 (Edited 568d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
brave27heart  +   568d ago
The Playstaion meeting was like a teaser trailer for a film. You dont expect anything more than a sneak peak before the main trailers hit.

Im happy with what Ive seen from Sony.
jgfydsf   568d ago | Spam
Acquiescence  +   568d ago
But the PS2 launch line-up was nothing to shout about either...
As wildly succuessful as the console ended up being, it took a while to get going. If I recall correctly, its big launch titles were The Bouncer and Tekken Tag Tournament, and they were perceived as disappointments after all the hype.

Really, this writer is just jumping the gun. We've already got Killzone: SF, Watch Dogs and inFamous: SS to look forward to, and we're not even past E3.
doublejj  +   568d ago
Sony is going to have a successful PS4 launch due to the fact that out of current systems i believe that Sony has the most games out there and i believe that one of the representatives of Sony said that they will have support from PS1 PS2 and PS3 games via the cloud and with streaming games to be an important function of the PS4 that is going to help them start off the launch of the PS4 with success. it was that the PS4 wont be backwards compatible at launch and that is OK with me cause they wouldn't have gone out and got Gaikai and invested in the streaming part of it. so i see at E3 being more demos more info about the PS4 and even the unveiling of the PS4 system and why it is the focal point of the future and how it will be on top in the game world.
Gamer-40  +   566d ago
"..For PS4 to be the great success of its generation, it needs to focus on the missing PS2 gamers, not just on PS3 gamers.."

Absolutely true, absolutely!

GRID Autosport - Touring Car Legends Expansion Pack Out Now

4m ago - Codemasters released today the ‘Touring Car Legends’ expansion pack for GRID Autosport, available... | PC

WWE 2K15 delayed for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One

7m ago - WWE 2K15 is now coming out for the new-gen consoles on Nov. 18. | Xbox 360

Shantae and the Pirates Curse Aiming for Mid October Release

10m ago - Shantae was one of the most technically impressive Game Boy Color games released, and had great g... | 3DS

Many Advanced Tips You Probably Didn’t Know in Mario Kart 8

11m ago - Many think Mario Kart 8 is a simple fun game that can’t be played on a competitive level. But, a... | Wii U

Start Making Games for the PS4

Dance Central: Spotlight Guide

22m ago - Horror Spooky : This may not be reproduced under any circumstances except for personal, private u... | Xbox One