Submitted by deadlydragon121 503d ago | opinion piece

E3 2013 predictions and winner of the show

Gadget Mill: The E3 2013 expo is only a few months away now and will be held on June 11-13 at the Los Angelas Convention Center. Now with Sony playing their cards early before the E3 event I think it is a great time to make a prediction on what to expect including the ‘winner of the show’. (3DS, Dev, Industry, Next-Gen, Nintendo DS, PS Vita, PS3, PS4, PSP, Tech, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

Prodigy-X  +   505d ago
PlayStation 4 The Win
We haven't even seen what naughty dog has cookin. Yeah Seeing how sony won about 4 e3's in a row I will give them high five.
#1.1 (Edited 505d ago ) | Agree(21) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
Blackdeath_663  +   504d ago
how i would love an open world crash bandicoot game in a similar style to the recently announced knack for the ps4 but more adventure orientated or a jak and daxter game in a similar style mentioned above but with the authentic art style
NukaCola  +   503d ago
My opinion on the Wii U is that the system will have a ton of great IPs to show. I always thought the Wii U jumped out the door early to get those 360-like sales but it's lack of software hindered that. I think this E3 will consist of all those IPs that we wanted but didn't get because they werent ready yet. And although I have played it a billion times, yes I can't wait to see Wind Waker in HD.

With MS. I really expect to see a half assed E3 show. I think they are going to jump the gun and try to church up their system as best as they can but I really worry about what they have to show. I hope it's not elephants and pop stars demoing casual crap. Halo 4 came out so I only expect a trailer for Halo 5. Maybe Epic will have a new IP but I just can't think of anything that really pops with MS now. I really fear that in the end, they will come out and tell us that along with Outlook email being available on LIVE for Xboxers for example, another COD is coming and Kinect 2.0. It's lack luster. But in the end, MS has great marketeers and they may blow minds.

Sony will do what Sony does best and that is game focus. I think E3 will be the big demo showing for the system and their new SEN/PSN and what the UI is all about. I expect playable demos and a few more huge surprises. Maybe, just maybe....if we are good enough and the stars align, Final Fantasy VII will be there for all to enjoy since PS4 FF is coming at E3. I do expect them to reveal a formal price drop for the Vita and show us the new firmware for the Vita to coincide with the PS4 launch. I am pretty excited all around.

For 3rd Party...I am grinding to see the Fallout 4 reveal and confirmation that GTA V is next gen.

EDIT: Wall of Text...I know...lol
#1.1.2 (Edited 503d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(1) | Report
Spookshow  +   503d ago
Sony won 4 E3´s? LOL, don't be such an obvious troll/fanboy!

did they win with the 599 USD annnouncement or the Ridge Racer one?

Hey everyone it's Riiiiiiiiiidge Raceeer!

Lol
ABizzel1  +   503d ago
Winner gamers. This should be the best E3 ever. New powerful consoles coming out swinging, and Nintendo trying to appease the core again.

I'm excited for all 3. I want to see Sony's first party games updated since now we know developers were building their launch games on old original devkits. Expect to see more footage of killzone, infamous, drive club (although I wanted an arcade racer), beyond, naughty dog, polyphony digital, sce japan / eu, Santa Monica, and the final details regarding the ps4.

I want to see exactly what the nextbox is capable of and has to offer, and how they're going to evolve the xbox brand.

I want to see os improvements from Nintendo and nothing but first party game announcements.
onyoursistersback  +   504d ago
i agree, if both the Ps4 and the new Xbox come out on E3!!!
lol..... Nintendo will be in the shadows,
"alll eyes will be on next gen consols!!!!"
donman1  +   503d ago
His prediction of the Xbox720 being more powerful than the PS4 and also costing $400 is so not going to happen. If...and I am mean if by some chance its more powerful, it will cost more than $400.

At the end of the day its all about the games, social media and new/improved services all three will bring to the table this E3 that will determine victory.
TheSurg  +   503d ago
MS can afford selling next xbox for lower price. They got the money to do that, they did the same with 360 they can do it again. Sony on the other hand can't do that. Eventho ps3 was succesful as a console they still didn't make profits, just huge losses. I'm not saying it will happen but ff MS somehow will jumpin with better spes and cool features like illumiroom kinect that will be actually good for core + some good games, sony will be in trouble.
majiebeast  +   503d ago
Ill say this its gonna be a good E3 for gamers.

Nintendo
Will come out guns blazing trying to convince people that the WiiU is the system to own instead of Ps4 and 720 so expect Retro games to be there.
Microsoft
Im gonna be honest i wouldnt know but im hoping on new IP's less media crap or kinect 2.0 certainly no dumbass celebrity like Usher.
Sony
Is gonna show off the power of their first party studio's and show off more of Gaikai's capabilities.
Valve
More Steambox info but im not betting on Half life 3.
EA
Same old same old and BF4
Ubisoft
Next AC,2 new IP's,Watchdogs,Beyond good and evil 2(If Ancel doesnt leave Ubi)
Konami
The laughs we need more Tak Fuji!
#1.4 (Edited 503d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
chadboban  +   503d ago
Yeah man I agree with you on Microsoft. They're a real mystery right now compared to Sony and Nintendo.

Also, if we actually get a Half Life 3 announcement at this year's E3 I can guarantee the internet will explode.

And Tak Fuji. God I really hope Konami goes for a live press conference this year because they still haven't topped their E3 2010 press conference. Best. Conference. EVER!
WiiUsauce  +   503d ago
man, this E3 is gonna be THE best E3 EVER!!!!!! After last years lack luster E3 where Ubisoft of all companies had the best conference, I told myself I wouldn't let myself get hyped for E3 ever agian. But holy shit, I didn't keep that promise, because I'm SO GODAMN excited for this year's E3. There are gonna be way too many face melting game announcements and I am SUPER HYPED Microsoft's and Nintendo's press conferences. Even though I'm not a Sony fan, it will still be interesting to see what they have to show off and see if they can convince me to buy a PS4 (an exclusive MGS game would automatically seal the deal for me. it's the main reason why I own a PS3).
alousow   503d ago | Spam
WiiUsauce  +   503d ago
nothing can stand up to the all-mighty Super Smash Bros. franchise and the next gen entry will be at E3, so Nintendo already wins based off of that alone lol. Plus Retro Studios is unveiling their new game, unannounced IP's, Bayonetta 2 footage, next gen 3D successor to Super Mario Galaxy (NEWS FLASH, BITCHES: Super Mario Galaxy is THE highest rated game of all time), next gen Mario Kart, more on Monolith's EPIC ASS Xeno-sequel, possible Wii U ware games announcements on eShop, countless new 3DS software from 1st and 3rd party, ect. ect.

This E3 will hands down go to Nintendo, and it will melt your faces off. Cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Prodigy-X  +   503d ago
Nintendo press conference will suck just like the past 4-5 E3's.
g2gshow  +   503d ago
you hear the one about the fat lady sings?? ill wait an see
mushroomwig  +   505d ago
'UK early 2014'

Oh god please not again.

Some of these "predictions" are truly awful;

Bluray on the next Xbox? Not a chance.

More powerful than PS4? Unlikely.

New Xbox price $400? Nope.

New Xbox launch date late 2013 worldwide? Unlikely
#2 (Edited 505d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(18) | Report | Reply
deadlydragon121  +   505d ago
I'm sorry for having an opinion... What makes you think the next Xbox will not have Blu-Ray? Where is your evidence to back it up.
Dark_Overlord  +   503d ago
He could be right in a way.

Blu-Ray is the product of the BDA (Blu-ray disc association) and as such the name is the property of it

However just because it doesn't use the name doesn't mean they can't use discs pretty much the same.

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD were able to achieve their high capacities through the use of Blue Lasers (405nm Wavelength) so pretty much the same apart from the way they were manufactured (and specs if you want to be picky :P)

Nintendo has used their own version of a disc based around a Blue Laser, but it isn't called Blu-Ray though it has virtually the same capacity as Dual Layer Blu-Rays (50GB).

Microsoft could employ a variation of this themselves for the next Xbox to avoid paying the BDA fees. It would be virtually the same as a Blu Ray capacity wise, but would lack the specifics of the Blu-Ray format (Each company provided different thing like codecs etc)

However IMO if Microsoft are as focused around creating a home media hub as they say, then I believe they will use Blu-Rays as it would be silly not to have the physical media based support (I.E They couldn't play Blu-Ray discs without infringing on patents).
Blackdeath_663  +   504d ago
it is already been reliably confirmed although not official that the next xbox will have 50GB optical disks whether that is blu ray or not nobody knows but it would only makes sense to go with bluray creating another format doesn't benefit anyone.
the price and release date are possible though considering that every unit ships with a kinect2.0 then it may be a little higher. i don't think MS will miss the chance and release next year it has to be holiday 2013
#2.2 (Edited 504d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
JeffGUNZ  +   503d ago
Why don't you think the system will be more powerful? Who knows?
PopRocks359  +   505d ago
Okay, this entire concept is stupid.

There is no winner. It's not a goddamn contest. It's just a show to impress viewers and shareholders. You can argue who you felt had the best or worst showcase, but no one's really "winning" anything outside of attention.

You can't really predict anything because there is no way to know what will be shown. Expectations were high for Nintendo last year and most people concede that they blew it. Ubisoft was generally seen as the victor that year and I doubt anyone expected that.

Finally, can't we just wait for the show to actually come? I'd rather approach every part of the show objectively BEFORE generating some sort of personal assessment.

Game journalism folks. Let's jump the gun faster than we've jumped the shark.
deadlydragon121  +   505d ago
"You can't really predict anything because there is no way to know what will be shown."

Leaks, Rumors, History, Research.
PopRocks359  +   505d ago
Which are always susceptible to be completely false. I cite Metroid x Star Fox as an example. Rumors/leaks/etc. also suggested Nintendo would be bringing big core games like Retro and Monolith's new games to E3 last year and neither happened.

I'm not saying such things are completely irrelevant or can never be trusted, but there are times where they can lead the internet astray to the point of expecting far too much or too little.
gamer42  +   505d ago
wait since when did nintendo show statistics in their conference, what kind of statistics?
#4 (Edited 505d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
kirbyu  +   503d ago
Remember last year, Reggie was all like "Oh yeah, the eShop is good blah blah blah people buy more games then they wanted too".
gamer42  +   502d ago
yeah but that was once, if they did it multiple times I'd call it a problem, even then it's not like he showed us graphs and made it more boring than it had to be. He made it sound like they do this kind of thing every year.
#4.1.1 (Edited 502d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
BigStef71  +   505d ago
This will probably be the best E3 since 2009 when all three companies had a great showing
StrongMan  +   505d ago
We know the winner won't be Nintendo. MS is predictable and show the same stuff every year. Mark my words, MS will show some form of Halo, Fable, and Forza at this year's E3 along with A LOT of Kinect games and A LOT of free apps behind the XBL paywall including Skpe. The next Xbox will be heavily Kinect and app focused. Those "4 new core IPs" I keep hearing about will be all Kinect games. Mark my words.

Sony, on the other hand, will win E3 hands down. They already have all of the buzz and momentum leading up to E3 and people are dying to know more. What will Naughty Dog show, what will Sony Santa Monica show, what will Poliphony Digital show, what will Media Molecule show, what will the PS4 look like, what will the PS4 cost, what about PS+, what exclusive content will the PS4 get from Bungie with Destiny, the possibilities are endless. My head is exploding.....
Count  +   503d ago
Here's basically what you've said: Microsoft will show the same IPs they've shown before, and Sony will do something else. That something else will be: Show the same IPs they've shown before as well.

Wow.

Stop putting so much effort into making your post fancy when it kind of defeats itself.
WeAreLegion  +   503d ago
...because Sony's big titles this year are the "same IP's" that we know and love The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls.

-_-
Count  +   503d ago
Killzone? InFamous? These are new IPs? Maybe I'm just having some serious case of deja vu because I could've sworn I had seen these two titles before.

Okay, whatever. This isn't the point. The point is, he tried to mock what Microsoft is going to bring to the table by saying it's going to be the same shit, when he couldn't even cite new things that Sony is going to bring to the table.

Yes, they're BOTH. I BOLDED that. They're both going to bring some of the same shit. Is this NECESSARILY BAD? Look at all the rage on that new Killzone game. Yeah, I don't think so.

So stop whining about ''the same shit''. Or at least if you do, try to be consistent. Because it doesn't make you look very good when you end up being hypocritical.

Expecting Microsoft to bring NOTHING NEW is.. ridiculous. So I assume, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, that he meant they'd bring in 'SOME' of the same shit.
VikTheStampede  +   503d ago
Biased as fuck lol XDD

No explanaition what so ever as to why nintendo cant "win".
And as for being predictable.... Come on, like we didnt know more killzone, final fantasy,infamous, etc. was coming along.

Microsoft is obviously gonna show something new as well...

I would say, the possibilities arepretty even, it will just come down to execution.
#6.2 (Edited 503d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
jgfydsf   503d ago | Spam
platformmaster918  +   503d ago
PS4 will not go down to a 160gb HDD for any model. I think they'll stick with the 250gb 500gb models if not upgrading with all the digital stuff they're promoting (I have a 500gb just for PS+). I also don't think nextbox will be more powerful it will be basically even IF that. I'm also pretty confident in a holiday 2013 release in NA. Seems like he's taking the worst case scenario for everything for PS4.
#8 (Edited 503d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
chadboban  +   503d ago
Looking forward to all 3 press conferences. But this writer seems to have a bit of bias against Nintendo, since they are the only one where he used the word "boring". Doesn't really seem like a fair assessment if you ask me.

Nintendo has already announced that they will show a new Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros at E3 so those aren't so much "predictions" as they are stating the obvious. Nintendo will have more first party to offer than just Mario. I'm personally hoping they show off more of Monolith's game (which is a first party game as Monolithsoft is owned by Nintendo, which I really think Nintendo needs make clear to everyone) as well as whatever Retro Studios is working on. Also we should have our first real look at Bayonetta 2 which I'm excited as hell to see. They also have Wind Waker HD and that Yoshi game too and hopefully some more surprises. Hoping they have more some good stuff in store for the 3DS as well (Bravely Default localization please!). I'm really hoping they really bring it this year because lets face it, the last 2 Nintendo E3s were pretty disappointing.

Sony I can already tell are going to do really well this year. Hoping they show of a PS4 Naughty Dog game, some more Killzone, a gameplay demo of Infamous: Second Son, and more third party support as well as some solid info on the Last Guardian and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. I know for sure they're gonna have A LOT of surprises in store. Sony's gonna kill it this year!

I need to see what the Microsoft is offering in their Next Xbox before I make a fair assessment of what they'll be bringing. So I'll keep my lips sealed on them for now.

Overall though I think this year's E3 is definitely gonna be one to remember.
francknara6  +   503d ago
3DS games, Yoshi U, Fire Emblem X SMT, Bayonetta 2, Xeno U, Super Smash Bros 4, Mario Kart U, Mario 3DU, Retro Studio Project.

Nintendo wins. Period.
WeAreLegion  +   503d ago
Those are good games and Retro Studio.

Those might win the show for people who don't play anything but Nintendo platforms, but for someone like me, who owns a Wii U, 3DS, Vita, PS3, and will be getting a PS4 on launch day...all eyes are on Sony.

That's not a win for Nintendo. That's another Yoshi's Island. Another Fire Emblem. Another Bayonetta. Another Xenosaga. Another Smash Bros. Another Mario Kart. Another Donkey Kong Country...and not the GOOD Donkey Kong Country, either.

They don't win with that stuff. And if we're lucky...that would be their lineup for the next three years! They don't release good games at a steady stream. They release like two or three a year and that's it. I love Nintendo, but they are SO SLOW.
kirbyu  +   503d ago
Why does everyone like the old DKC better. It was slow-pased and boring compared to DKCR.
WeAreLegion  +   503d ago
Tighter controls. Better main enemies. Better boss fights with original mechanics for each one. Better writing. Self awareness. Better music...especially DKC2, which is one of the best games ever made.
chadboban  +   503d ago
Calm down with the hyperbole man, lol. I think all of the conferences have the capability to be great. But Nintendo definitely has the most to prove this E3. Hope hey can actually pull it off. Just thinking about what Retro might bring makes me all kinds of excited.
a_adji  +   503d ago
Machines will always get people excited but after that it's about the games.

Games wise Nintendo will take it and I believe they will have to pull out their big guns as they have no new hardware to announce.

Sony will stand out but MS right now have not shown their hand yet but it's not looking good from a used games prospective and forcing things on people.
paul1974  +   503d ago
What wins is the games for me! i don't care for specs its what gets me playing! all the sony stuff on wow specs really is not an issue! for 7 years people have been wowed by xbox and ps3 with their small 256/512 ram and some great looking games so how far have games come? pc have had the specs of ps4 for years but games have not been developed any higher then xbox/ps3!

I think the specs of wii u is more then enough to see great games and what people fail to see is sony and xbox? are looking at moving to internet based services and downloads!! xbox with 50gb blue ray discs? games of this size?

I mean can the majority of peoples internet take a 50gb download? people complained about a 5gb OS download taking 2 hours on the wii u! I would hate to think how long a huge game would take on most peoples internet around the world 24hrs? what about those who have monthly limits?

All a worry on that front, so I think until the majority of the world is fibre optic let's say 2035, who wants to play all their games with terrible lag? or restricted internet, it's safe to say discs is still the way forward and a system that offers backward capabilities and great games will be the winner!

Could that be Nintendo???? the worlds internet is not ready for cloud gaming as a whole so what the PS4 and 720 may offer in tech is only going to work for a small percentage of the world population.

Nintendo to win if they can market the wii u correctly so people know what it is and what it is truly capable of producing based on the fact it's 3x more powerful then xbox 360 and ps3!

No one knows what ms will bring and when and how much and still we do not know how much ps4 will be or its games! is the world financially in a position for those consoles yet?
Brucis  +   503d ago
I dunno, a SSB demo would be fucking great, even more so if it's actually playable like people are saying. Not to mention the new Mario and Mario Kart games, which are always big. Then there's potentially X, Retro's game, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, SMTxFE, and Wonderful 101. On Sony's side, they got the new Killzone, potentially some more Deep Down, and Naughty Dog will likely have something good. Then there was the list of developers that said that they'll be developing for the PS4, which includes some pretty good companies. As for MS, I have no clue, I have no clue. I haven't heard much other than that they might be announcing the neXtbox/720/Durango soon. if they do that and show some new IPs or wait til E3 and go all out, then who knows. Regardless, it'll be a good E3, one way or another.
gattlymonkey   503d ago | Spam
Clarence  +   503d ago
Sony will win E3 and will be the top selling console for next gen.
wheresmymonkey  +   503d ago
Nintendo will win. Well for me anyway. all they need to do is show me a new zelda and its all over.
kirbyu  +   503d ago
The winner is whoever your favorite game company is.
AdvanceWarsSgt  +   503d ago
LOL I don't care who wins because I'm not a fanboy. Just show me the games and I'll gladly spend my money.
urwifeminder  +   503d ago
Keen to see ms and nintendo.
SillyBastid  +   503d ago
PS4 hard drive sizes will be minimum 250.
shackdaddy  +   503d ago
Sony and MS will be showing off their new hardware. Nintendo will be showing off games. To me, Nintendo wins (but that's just my opinion). I don't care too much about new console hardware/graphics since I already have a PC.

Really in the end, Sony fans will say Sony won and MS fans will say MS won...
#21 (Edited 503d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
RogueStatus28  +   503d ago
Nintendo...
3D Mario by Team Galaxy
Smash Bros 4 by Sakurai and Namco
Retro Studios' Metroid Prime 4/ Star Fox
Monolith Soft's X
Zelda Wind Waker remake
Mario Kart Wii U
Bayonetta 2 by Platinum
Yoshi's Land by Good Feel Games
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem by Atlus and Intelligent
Pikmin 3
Pokemon XY by GameFreak

Sony will probably show Uncharted 4, Infamous, Killzone, Driveclub, meh.
#22 (Edited 503d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
RogueStatus28  +   503d ago
Um Nintendo won 2010 and 2011, biased article much?
#23 (Edited 503d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
deadlydragon121  +   502d ago
They did? How so.. 3DS? Wii U?
RogueStatus28  +   502d ago
How so... Uncharted 3? Resistance 3? Infamous 2? Not even going to mention Microsoft's side. Actually I think Microsoft's lineup was better that year.
wiiulee  +   503d ago
if all you look for during e3 is shinier pixels of old games then sony and ms will probably win e3 base on your taste...if actually games with some uniqueness to them, real next generation gamees...then nintendo and steam will be the winner....and i go withe the wiiu uniquenes
NoobJobz  +   503d ago
Definitely more excited for this E3 than recent previous ones. Two new consoles (possibly 3) being shown and new games. Should be great for us gamers.
wingman32x  +   503d ago
This E3 is going to be amazing.

For me, I'm very interested in Nintendo right now. Their definite underdog status could lay the groundwork for something awesome. As far as the Wii U goes, Nintendo, in a general sense, has yet to show at its own party. They've been very quiet about their first party stuff, only confirming the main staples via vague references.

I think Nintendo is going to take advantage of this low pressure environment and deliver something emphatic. It's about time for Nintendo to finally wake up, and I think this is the perfect time to do it.
Max-Zorin  +   503d ago
I hope all 3 do well next gen. This console ''war'' nonsense need to DIE.
MysticStrummer  +   503d ago
Console wars have been going on since Atari vs Intellivision. They won't stop now.
wtfbbq8  +   503d ago
when is ps e3?

[Continue Play] Heroes of the Storm: Zagara, The Broodmother Preview

15m ago - Continue Play's Brian Kale continues his ongoing Heroes of the Storm character previews where he... | PC

October: Games, Games, Games – How Much Are You Spending?

16m ago - October is shaping up to be an epic month for gaming. With over 20+ games are releasing, it's saf... | PC

There Should Have Been A Better Way To Counter The Blue Shell In Mario Kart 8

17m ago - rustyshell.com: I wish while Nintendo was borrowing ideas from other kart racers, they’d have bor... | Wii U

Late to the Party: Goat Simulator

1h ago - Junkie Monkeys: Ah, good ol’ Goat Simulator. Goat Simulator can be described as the glitch that t... | PC

Start Making Games for the PS4

Dino Hunter: Deadly Shores - How to get free gold, map pieces and cash

7h ago - WP - "Dino Hunter: Deadly Shores is a spinoff of the Deer Hunter series, with (of course) dinosau... | iPhone