Try our new beta! Click here
Submitted by Toadsanime 1011d ago | news

PS4 Games to Cost From $0.99 – $60

In an interview with CNBC, SCEA CEO Jack Tretton states that PlayStation 4 games will cost anywhere between $0.99 to $60. (Industry, Jack Tretton, PS4, Sony Computer Entertainment America)

Credit url:
Alternative Sources
Prodigy-X  +   1011d ago
Hydrolex  +   1011d ago
$60, can't complain !

honestly, even 60 is a bit high

$50 is just perfect !
#1.1 (Edited 1011d ago ) | Agree(23) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
NastyLeftHook0  +   1011d ago
10 bucks
Godchild1020  +   1011d ago
After all these years, if you haven't gotten use to it. Just wait a few weeks, sometimes less and get it for 40-50 dollars.
AzaziL  +   1011d ago
$60 bucks, day one price

if the game sucks and doesn't sell, drop it by $10 a week until it does sell.
gta2800  +   1011d ago
If I have to continue paying what I was already paying then I won't complain. Wish they could drop the retail price by ten at least :P
Outside_ofthe_Box  +   1011d ago
***"On pricing, Tretton said that the PS4 is "designed with the game developer in mind and the consumer in mind," and will offer games with prices ranging from $0.99 to the more traditional $60 range with the ability for players to sample games before they buy."***

lol the traditional range is $40. I'm not going to complain about PS4 games costing $60 when current gen games cost $60, but I would love nothing more than for games to go back to the $40/$50 range.
ziggurcat  +   1011d ago
games costing the exact same as current gen games is a bit high? you know that games in the 80's were closer to $100, right?

just be thankful that they didn't go up in price at all.
#1.1.6 (Edited 1011d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report
brich233  +   1011d ago
Just subscribe to newegg and preorder online. You can get your games 12$ cheaper and tax free. I got Halo 4, Gears 3 and Black ops 2 all for 48$ each. They usually send emails daily, be sure to look. Also check for more deals.
akaakaaka  +   1011d ago | Funny
i guess i will stick to my PS3 games I pay $59.99
$60 is way too much over my limits..
Godchild1020  +   1011d ago
I remember working at Gamestop and having a lady come up to one of my co-workers and asked how much is a PS3 and he told her $300 and she asked why so much, Walmart has it for 299.99.

Anyway, bubbles to you.
#1.2.1 (Edited 1011d ago ) | Agree(18) | Disagree(0) | Report
mistertwoturbo  +   1011d ago
I can't believe Jack Tretton stated that publicly. I mean the nerve, $60!?!??!?

I'm with you, also sticking with my PS3.
#1.2.2 (Edited 1011d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(0) | Report
Blasphemy  +   1011d ago
why didn't he show up for the conference!
FamilyGuy  +   1011d ago
Neither did Kaz
PopRocks359  +   1011d ago
$60 max? Nice! Better looking games at no extra cost. I can dig that.
RememberThe357  +   1011d ago
Not necessarily, if you follow the sources to the actual CNBC video, Tretton uses the price point to describe the different types of games the PS4 will have. He doesn't come out and say "games will be "$0.99 to $60." However, if they were planning on charging more, he probably would have implied it.

I think Tretton is ready to fight again. He got knocked down a bit by the 360 and Wii and I think he wants to take the US back for the PlayStation. Yesterdays presentation being in the US instead of Japan is telling, and it was executed beautifully.
#2.1 (Edited 1011d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
PopRocks359  +   1011d ago
That makes sense to me. If Sony becomes number one this generation it honestly would not surprise me. They seem to have learned a lot from the PS3 and have made some good decisions with its successor IMO.

That said I don't think it will monopolize the market. The Wii U is offering something pretty different and who knows what the Nextbox will offer (though I am admittedly less enthusiastic about the latter right now).
badkolo  +   1011d ago
the only thing the wiiu will offer differently is the exclusive games and the kid stuff, everyting else the wii u does the ps4 will do in terms of second screen and remote play
majiebeast  +   1011d ago
Jack Tretton dropping megaton bombs! I would love to see 25-30$ games that dont come with tagged on multiplayer. Also i liked what David Perry said during his Gaikai presentation "Buy only what you love"

I think some publishers are finaly getting that a happy gamer buys more games.
#3 (Edited 1011d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
LOGICWINS  +   1011d ago
Does that mean PS3 games will launch at $40 by next year?
Godmars290  +   1011d ago
Would be nice if they set standards for physical, disc based games. Have a few $20 ones there which have good, standalone, graphics that don't look like something an intern might come up after working on Flash for an afternoon.
Bumpmapping  +   1011d ago
Sweet glad to hear so many games I want!
Rockubot  +   1011d ago
They should raise it up more to $100.00 to $500.00 dollars.
Toadsanime  +   1011d ago
Thanks for the report by the way, but reporting an article because you consider it 'lame' is not what the reporting system is intended for.

Game news is game news. The video game journalism industry has no room for absurd console bias like that.
#7.1 (Edited 1011d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Heisenburger  +   1011d ago
In the immortal words of Dr. House:

Ah snap....
Qrphe  +   1011d ago
I don't understand why there is such a report type of such nature in the first place. It's just so immature.
#7.1.2 (Edited 1011d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report
SilentNegotiator  +   1011d ago

The "lame" report has its place. When articles like "Greenberg Wears Halo PJs" comes up for instance (and yes, lame crap like that is submitted sometimes).
ILive  +   1011d ago
This is the best news yet.
smashcrashbash  +   1011d ago
Sounds fair. A few $30.00 and $40.00 games should attract gamers.And if not we just pay what we are paying now. same price or lower. Sweet
#9 (Edited 1011d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Neko_Mega  +   1011d ago
0.99 cents per game would destroy everyone else in hope of beating the PS4, thing is. That won't happen XD but I like how they put 0.99 - 60.
Shadow Man  +   1011d ago
can somebody explain to me why new full digital games still 59.99 dollars at the psn store, i thought been on disc made them cost so much.
jonboi24  +   1011d ago
I belive prices are up to the individual game's publisher. I think Sony reduces their prices for some of their digital/retail games.
mistertwoturbo  +   1011d ago
Two words, three syllables. PlayStation Plus.

This is probably how they get the deals to give to PSN+ users by offsetting the extra few bucks they make by charging normal price.
WeAreLegion  +   1011d ago
Four syllables.
mistertwoturbo  +   1011d ago
lol yeah Four. Forgot the tion.
Summons75  +   1011d ago
Because that is what going to happen with digital only services. Publishers want control of prices, of you shop right at normal stores you can get anything for free if your good enough.
Fez  +   1011d ago
Full digital games on the UK PSN store cost £60 never mind $60. Sony should be whipping the publishers into shape by at least teaching them about exchange rates! And the publishers should stop being such assholes. You don't see that kind of complete disregard for customer respect on steam. /rant

No wait, you do

I shouldn't complain, look at AU

#11.4 (Edited 1011d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SAE  +   1010d ago
Exactly. No way i would pay £60 when i can get it much much cheaper in stores. Don't forget that we are wasting internet limit too so it's rip off doing what they do. Digital should be cheaper then retail..
ShaunCameron  +   1008d ago
<Guess it depends on living cost, average wage etc. Wonder if that will change anytime in the near future... Bring on the NWO with global minimum wage and single currency please. Then I won't feel like I'm being screwed :P>

Why? The NWO will have no incentive to lower costs and offer quality service/products since they'll have no competition at all. It's socialist in nature and practice.
Fez  +   1007d ago
Ewww, icky socialism D:
banjadude  +   1011d ago
Here is the video interview, if you guys are interested (as for me, I love hearing Jacky T speak):
#12 (Edited 1011d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
PS4isKing_82  +   1011d ago
So aside from the bc and psn games not carrying over, everything else sounds about perfect with the ps4. Powerful hardware, lots of dev support, more robust psn features from gaikai, now just imagine the reaction from the crowd if kaz hirai announces the price of the console from $299 to $399.
I don't know why but I'm thinking they're planning on shocking the hell out of us and pricing it low like that after all the negative feedback from the ps3 launch price in an effort to sell alot of consoles early on.
#13 (Edited 1011d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Riderz1337  +   1011d ago
I loled at people thinking games will cost 100$. That is ridiculous.
MartinB105  +   1011d ago
Except if you're in the UK, where retail titles on PSN sell for £59.99, which is currently over $90.

It makes me wonder who is buying these games digitally when they're so much cheaper on sites like Amazon and Play.
#15 (Edited 1011d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
gamern4g  +   1011d ago
Games cost too much and same goes to PS3. In old good times, NES games cost about 5-10 dollars and they were very fun to play. I still hold several old good consoles and games. Today is only the grapfic better on consoles but gameplay aint same fun, addictive and stunning as it was 15 years ago.

Still plannin to move on to PC or SteamBox, because of Steam. Same game what cost on console about 60 dollars is in the Steam about 40-45 dollars. Why do we want to give more money for console games? You may connect your PC to TV and play with controller all PC games (some older games requires also keyboard but all new games support fully controller).
clintagious650  +   1011d ago
Their is a reason why more developers create games for consoles because not everyone can afford a gaming pc & besides that pc dont have many games that interest me. No offense pc gamers.
T2  +   1011d ago
I distinctly remember super Mario 2 being like 40 dollars ... Sure there were 20 dollar ones... They were sht
nolifeking  +   1011d ago
No way new nes games were 5 or 10 dollars. 50 easy and don't even get me started on neo-geo.
ILive  +   1011d ago
This is a little off topic, but I think that Infamous trailer was actually in-game footage. If you watched the trailer closely, you will see that the footage is not too clean for a cgi trailer. You definitely notice this in the first section of the trailer. If I am right--which i think i am--the game is mostly definitely amazing looking.
nolifeking  +   1011d ago
I believe Sucker-Punch confirmed it was in-game assets. Not goona give a link because phone.
Y_5150  +   1011d ago
"made possible by PS4. In fact, this trailer was produced in-house using our game engine"
from where this SP rep said this at the bottom paragraph.

Yes so what you see in this trailer is how it's most likely going to look if not even better! :D
clintagious650  +   1011d ago
I dont know bout anyone else but knack looked like it could be a really fun game. I was really impressed.
TheBrownBandito  +   1011d ago
Yeah, I thought knack looked really good too.
darkifritx  +   1011d ago
we pay $100 - $120 in Australia you guys should be grateful for the $60 price tag
mt  +   1011d ago
how about we slash PS3 games from $60 to $45-$50. we need games price-cut
MasterCornholio  +   1011d ago
60€ seems fantastic for PS4 games.

But whats Nintendos excuse for the same price tag?

" A Nintendo representative confirmed to Polygon that $59.99 will be the most common MSRP for Wii U titles, but that's a "baseline price," adding that, "specific games could be more or less."
Relientk77  +   1011d ago
Very glad that game prices arent increasing, and going higher than $60, though I do wish it'd go back down to $50
ApolloTheBoss  +   1011d ago
Wonder how much Xbox games will cost.

Action Puzzle Town – Casual game soft-launches in selected countries

1h ago - Com2uS, the company behind global sensation mobile RPG Summoners War, has today soft-launched its... | iPhone

A Wolf in Autumn: Finely Built Nightmare & Dreamscape

1h ago - Bryan takes a look at David Szymanski’s latest short horror game A Wolf in Autumn and finds it th... | PC

Blu-ray And DVD Highlights for November 2015

Now - With the spooky month of October all but ritualistically murdered and buried in a haunted house sitting a top an ancient Indian burial ground under... | Promoted post

Westwood Studios to Receive Industry Icon Award at The Game Awards 2015

19h ago - Host Geoff Keighley just announced that the defunct Westwood Studios will receive the “Industry I... | Retro

Yokai Watch Dance Gets Two New Japanese Commercials

19h ago - Level-5 has released two new commercials showing off the game’s colorful and adorable gameplay. | Wii U

Next North American Splatfest Aims for Your Stomach

19h ago - Nintendo has announced that Splatoon’s next Splatfest will make players choose between two Americ... | Wii U