Submitted by -Mezzo- 785d ago | news

PS4 Supports Move, Doesn't Support DualShock 3

IGN - Today during a roundtable discussion with the president of Sony’s Worldwide Studios, Shuhei Yoshida, news about the role of PlayStation 3’s two controllers – DualShock 3 and PlayStation Move – were revealed in terms of their functionality with PlayStation 4. (PS4, Shuhei Yoshida)

NeverEnding1989   785d ago | Trolling | show | Replies(9)
Godmars290  +   785d ago
And the PS3 doesn't support Duelshock 2 just like you can't use the PS1's controller on the PS2.

Point?
Qrphe  +   785d ago
Exactly.

Controller layout is basically the same anyway.
thatsBangin  +   785d ago
yea exactly. next it'll be the ps4 doesn't support ps1 controller
Reverent  +   785d ago
Omg no way! I'm totally not buying a PS4 now!

Lol.
Ducky  +   785d ago
err... you can use PS1 controllers on a PS2.

I think the PS2 controllers also work on a PS3 if you have an adapter.

Considering that there's no adapter to worry about with PS3/PS4 controller, it is a bit surprising if the PS3 controllers don't work for PS4.
#2.3 (Edited 785d ago ) | Agree(15) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
badz149  +   785d ago
damn double post and I only have 2 bubbles!!
#2.3.1 (Edited 785d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
badz149  +   785d ago
with the adapter
yes, you can use the adapter but that doesn't mean the PS3 supports DS2 natively. with the adapter, it will be treated just like any other "USB" controller where there will be no SIXAXIS function and most importantly no rumble!
Gaming_Guru  +   785d ago
What is the point when all the controllers are virtually the same?
No FanS Land  +   785d ago
heck the PS1 supports PS2 controllers!
Just_The_Truth  +   785d ago
You had to plug the ps2 controller in but the DS3 uses Bluetooth. There's no reason why it should work with the ps4 besides they want you to buy the new one. I don't mind too much but I don't like the new design.
#2.4 (Edited 785d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Kingthrash360  +   785d ago
Thank you, you mind reader! The article writer's an idiot... the bigger the site the bigger the nit picks and complaints...
kenoh   785d ago | Spam
TrevorPhillips  +   785d ago
doesn't really bother me to be honest, PS4 controller looks awesome anyways =]
Tr10wn  +   785d ago
Well if what they said its true that they fix the triggers ya, i like the look of the new controller and if there is something i didnt like from the PS3 was the triggers of the controllers.
Number-Nine  +   785d ago
not surprising. you could never really use the DS1 on the ps2, the DS2 on the ps3 and now the DS3 on the ps4.

new system, new features, new controllers.
#4 (Edited 785d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
ExCest  +   785d ago
Awww, now I'll have 2 relatively worthless controllers sitting around. It makes sense though, since it doesn't have the same layout/tech as the new controller. But, still a shame.
Sevir  +   785d ago
sooo youre trashing your ps3 when you get a ps4?
Lol. That's hysterical
ExCest  +   785d ago
No but I'm pretty sure I won't be using it as much. Or at all, possibly (once all my games are done).
YoungKingDoran  +   785d ago
Meh, my ps3 is going in the loungeroom.
It wont be forgotten.
Irishguy95  +   783d ago
Still loads of PS3 games coming out though
BitbyDeath  +   785d ago
Makese sense considering all the changes.
Studio-YaMi  +   785d ago
Stating the obvious !?
sashimi  +   785d ago
the obvious needs to be said, sites need hits.
I'm sure there will be a 3rd party adapter that will plug into the PS4 so you can use a DS3.
lodossrage  +   785d ago
Big deal
The past generation dualshocks never work on their successor systems. PS1 dualshock didn't work on PS2. And PS2 dualshock didn't work on the PS3.

I only find it odd the MOVE works on the PS4. All things considered, it's not needed on the PS4 since MOVE is integrated into the controller.
BitbyDeath  +   785d ago
Is Move integrated into the controller?
I think the light thing on the back is just to determine which player you are.

Also having move in the controller wouldn't be that much different to Sixaxis.. i'd thought
lodossrage  +   785d ago
The blue light bar strip is a motion detector. Just like that orb on the PS MOVE
#9.1.1 (Edited 785d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report
NukaCola  +   783d ago
The PS4 Eye uses the light to track the player and to be able to communicated better with each individual gamer in the room. It's Move-like but not fully. The controller also has Bluetooth 2.1 and a new highly advance sixaxis gyroscope in it....so all that together betters the gamer in the end.

At the end of the day, this is the PS4. It is a new system all around. All that matters is that your account moves with you and it will. You get new games, new hardware, new everything. It's new. I don't get why this is such an issue. Why is it that after 5-8 years of one dedicated device, must the next gen be forced to carry it forward. If you don't own a PS3, then you missed out. Go out and get one and play all the games it had this gen. Come this holiday, the PS4 is coming and you are about 6 years late if you didn't choose to support it now.

BC is the least of any concern of a logical gamer. You should be looking forward to the future. You want your companion to the PS4 for classics and other features...get a Vita.

Come on, get excited people. Next gen is coming!
r21  +   785d ago
I said this before and Ill say it again. I'll just have to get used to the new DS4 just like how I did with the PS3 and stopped using the DS2.
iuweiuiuhsdf   785d ago | Spam
Gamewiz_25  +   785d ago
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
CaptainYesterday  +   785d ago
It would have been nice to be able to use the 3 PS3 controllers I have so I wouldn't have to buy extra PS4 controller's for a backup or so I can play with friends. But what can you do! Maybe PS4 will come with 2 controllers that would be great! :)
Kingthrash360  +   785d ago
As with almost every console....xbox to 360...ps2 to ps3 to ps4... nes to snes to n64 to gc. Sega to Genesis to saturn to dreamcast. Only exceptions are gc to wii to wiiu and ps1 to ps2. ( if you buy an adapter then why not buy the new controller??) So this is just some hater "gotta find somthing negative to say" shit.
#14 (Edited 785d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Energy-HL  +   785d ago
Hope I can use the PS4 controller with a pc.
PastyGangster  +   785d ago
Doesn't really bother me, honestly.
PersonMan  +   785d ago
Surely someone will make an adapter. I've been using my DS3 on my 360 (when I had one) and on my PC.

The DS3 is popular enough that someone is sure to make an adapter for the PS4.

Also, what's to say they won't change things before official release? Remember the boomerang controller that never made it to PS3? Remember how the PS3 controllers didn't have rumble support at first?

If enough people complain about the new controller's design, they may just allow the DS3 controller on the PS4.
kingPoS  +   785d ago
I'm a bit concerned about fighting sticks. I use a ps2 Tekken 5 stick via usb. All my fighting games work with it. (it's a real beast lol)
All things considered, I'd be awesome if the DS4 worked on the ps3.
#18 (Edited 785d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Darrius Cole  +   785d ago
The handles on the new controller look a tad too..., too..., too horizontal. But right now all I have is pictures. The judge a controller you have to hold it.
EbeneezerGoode  +   785d ago
I love the new controller, the sticks seem to be a big improvement as do the main handles/comfort. Triggers are much better (no more using my clip on trigger extenders!) but they possibly still look a little shallow vs the (actually very nice) triggers on my Xbox 360 controllers (That I use occasionally on PC not on my long gone RROD POS 360 btw) :)

Just hope the triggers still hold the fingers when depressed as the DS3 triggers was a seriously compromised design. Thank god someone invented those clip ons!

The day I get my hands on this controller and start playing Uncharted 4, Killzone 4 etc will be a good day indeed.

And as I already own two Move controllers am glad to see they can still be used.
#20 (Edited 785d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Veneno  +   785d ago
We'll see if this is actually true when someone on YouTube shows how he got a Dualshock 3 to work on PS4. Then Sony shutdowns their youtube channel.

Yes, Nintendo, this Kong IS one hell of a guy

17m ago - And let's keep it that way. None of that "heck" monkey business. Or Donkey Kong Frappuccinos. | Wii U

Star Wars: Battlefront will connect Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens

17m ago - Here at Star Wars Celebration, EA is showing off its upcoming gameStar Wars: Battlefront, and we... | PC

Do You Suffer From Open World Fatigue?

Now - The open-world format has become prevalent, is it too much? | Promoted post

What We Found in the Star Wars Battlefront Trailer – Star Wars Celebration

18m ago - IGN - Below is an analysis of that trailer combined with the 7 minute-gameplay demo (running on a... | PC

Is Virtual Reality becoming a reality?

25m ago - VR is here in a big way but will it become mainstream? We look to the past for answers about the... | Culture

New Phase For Mordheim: City of the Damned Adding New Features

34m ago - A new phase of development is now live for Mordheim: City of the Damned, a turn-based tactical ga... | PC