Submitted by -Mezzo- 1009d ago | news

PS4 Supports Move, Doesn't Support DualShock 3

IGN - Today during a roundtable discussion with the president of Sony’s Worldwide Studios, Shuhei Yoshida, news about the role of PlayStation 3’s two controllers – DualShock 3 and PlayStation Move – were revealed in terms of their functionality with PlayStation 4. (PS4, Shuhei Yoshida)

NeverEnding1989   1009d ago | Trolling | show | Replies(9)
Godmars290  +   1009d ago
And the PS3 doesn't support Duelshock 2 just like you can't use the PS1's controller on the PS2.

Qrphe  +   1009d ago

Controller layout is basically the same anyway.
thatsBangin  +   1009d ago
yea exactly. next it'll be the ps4 doesn't support ps1 controller
Reverent  +   1008d ago
Omg no way! I'm totally not buying a PS4 now!

Ducky  +   1009d ago
err... you can use PS1 controllers on a PS2.

I think the PS2 controllers also work on a PS3 if you have an adapter.

Considering that there's no adapter to worry about with PS3/PS4 controller, it is a bit surprising if the PS3 controllers don't work for PS4.
#2.3 (Edited 1009d ago ) | Agree(15) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
badz149  +   1009d ago
damn double post and I only have 2 bubbles!!
#2.3.1 (Edited 1009d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
badz149  +   1009d ago
with the adapter
yes, you can use the adapter but that doesn't mean the PS3 supports DS2 natively. with the adapter, it will be treated just like any other "USB" controller where there will be no SIXAXIS function and most importantly no rumble!
Gaming_Guru  +   1008d ago
What is the point when all the controllers are virtually the same?
No FanS Land  +   1008d ago
heck the PS1 supports PS2 controllers!
Just_The_Truth  +   1009d ago
You had to plug the ps2 controller in but the DS3 uses Bluetooth. There's no reason why it should work with the ps4 besides they want you to buy the new one. I don't mind too much but I don't like the new design.
#2.4 (Edited 1009d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Kingthrash360  +   1009d ago
Thank you, you mind reader! The article writer's an idiot... the bigger the site the bigger the nit picks and complaints...
kenoh   1009d ago | Spam
TrevorPhillips  +   1009d ago
doesn't really bother me to be honest, PS4 controller looks awesome anyways =]
Tr10wn  +   1009d ago
Well if what they said its true that they fix the triggers ya, i like the look of the new controller and if there is something i didnt like from the PS3 was the triggers of the controllers.
Number-Nine  +   1009d ago
not surprising. you could never really use the DS1 on the ps2, the DS2 on the ps3 and now the DS3 on the ps4.

new system, new features, new controllers.
#4 (Edited 1009d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
ExCest  +   1009d ago
Awww, now I'll have 2 relatively worthless controllers sitting around. It makes sense though, since it doesn't have the same layout/tech as the new controller. But, still a shame.
Sevir  +   1009d ago
sooo youre trashing your ps3 when you get a ps4?
Lol. That's hysterical
ExCest  +   1009d ago
No but I'm pretty sure I won't be using it as much. Or at all, possibly (once all my games are done).
YoungKingDoran  +   1009d ago
Meh, my ps3 is going in the loungeroom.
It wont be forgotten.
Irishguy95  +   1007d ago
Still loads of PS3 games coming out though
BitbyDeath  +   1009d ago
Makese sense considering all the changes.
Studio-YaMi  +   1009d ago
Stating the obvious !?
sashimi  +   1009d ago
the obvious needs to be said, sites need hits.
My_Name_BTW_Is_Dante  +   1009d ago
I'm sure there will be a 3rd party adapter that will plug into the PS4 so you can use a DS3.
lodossrage  +   1009d ago
Big deal
The past generation dualshocks never work on their successor systems. PS1 dualshock didn't work on PS2. And PS2 dualshock didn't work on the PS3.

I only find it odd the MOVE works on the PS4. All things considered, it's not needed on the PS4 since MOVE is integrated into the controller.
BitbyDeath  +   1009d ago
Is Move integrated into the controller?
I think the light thing on the back is just to determine which player you are.

Also having move in the controller wouldn't be that much different to Sixaxis.. i'd thought
lodossrage  +   1009d ago
The blue light bar strip is a motion detector. Just like that orb on the PS MOVE
#9.1.1 (Edited 1009d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report
NukaCola  +   1007d ago
The PS4 Eye uses the light to track the player and to be able to communicated better with each individual gamer in the room. It's Move-like but not fully. The controller also has Bluetooth 2.1 and a new highly advance sixaxis gyroscope in it....so all that together betters the gamer in the end.

At the end of the day, this is the PS4. It is a new system all around. All that matters is that your account moves with you and it will. You get new games, new hardware, new everything. It's new. I don't get why this is such an issue. Why is it that after 5-8 years of one dedicated device, must the next gen be forced to carry it forward. If you don't own a PS3, then you missed out. Go out and get one and play all the games it had this gen. Come this holiday, the PS4 is coming and you are about 6 years late if you didn't choose to support it now.

BC is the least of any concern of a logical gamer. You should be looking forward to the future. You want your companion to the PS4 for classics and other features...get a Vita.

Come on, get excited people. Next gen is coming!
r21  +   1009d ago
I said this before and Ill say it again. I'll just have to get used to the new DS4 just like how I did with the PS3 and stopped using the DS2.
iuweiuiuhsdf   1009d ago | Spam
Gamewiz_25  +   1009d ago
CaptainYesterday  +   1009d ago
It would have been nice to be able to use the 3 PS3 controllers I have so I wouldn't have to buy extra PS4 controller's for a backup or so I can play with friends. But what can you do! Maybe PS4 will come with 2 controllers that would be great! :)
Kingthrash360  +   1009d ago
As with almost every console....xbox to 360...ps2 to ps3 to ps4... nes to snes to n64 to gc. Sega to Genesis to saturn to dreamcast. Only exceptions are gc to wii to wiiu and ps1 to ps2. ( if you buy an adapter then why not buy the new controller??) So this is just some hater "gotta find somthing negative to say" shit.
#14 (Edited 1009d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Energy-HL  +   1009d ago
Hope I can use the PS4 controller with a pc.
PastyGangster  +   1009d ago
Doesn't really bother me, honestly.
PersonMan  +   1009d ago
Surely someone will make an adapter. I've been using my DS3 on my 360 (when I had one) and on my PC.

The DS3 is popular enough that someone is sure to make an adapter for the PS4.

Also, what's to say they won't change things before official release? Remember the boomerang controller that never made it to PS3? Remember how the PS3 controllers didn't have rumble support at first?

If enough people complain about the new controller's design, they may just allow the DS3 controller on the PS4.
kingPoS  +   1009d ago
I'm a bit concerned about fighting sticks. I use a ps2 Tekken 5 stick via usb. All my fighting games work with it. (it's a real beast lol)
All things considered, I'd be awesome if the DS4 worked on the ps3.
#18 (Edited 1009d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Darrius Cole  +   1009d ago
The handles on the new controller look a tad too..., too..., too horizontal. But right now all I have is pictures. The judge a controller you have to hold it.
EbeneezerGoode  +   1008d ago
I love the new controller, the sticks seem to be a big improvement as do the main handles/comfort. Triggers are much better (no more using my clip on trigger extenders!) but they possibly still look a little shallow vs the (actually very nice) triggers on my Xbox 360 controllers (That I use occasionally on PC not on my long gone RROD POS 360 btw) :)

Just hope the triggers still hold the fingers when depressed as the DS3 triggers was a seriously compromised design. Thank god someone invented those clip ons!

The day I get my hands on this controller and start playing Uncharted 4, Killzone 4 etc will be a good day indeed.

And as I already own two Move controllers am glad to see they can still be used.
#20 (Edited 1008d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Veneno  +   1008d ago
We'll see if this is actually true when someone on YouTube shows how he got a Dualshock 3 to work on PS4. Then Sony shutdowns their youtube channel.

15 classic PS2 games we want on PS4

12m ago - Games Radar: Play it again, PS2 Sony has worked out how to emulate PS2 games on PS4. That... | PS2

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 Finally Gets a Much Needed Update; Improves Visuals, Gameplay, and More

50m ago - Robomodo has been promising a big update for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 for a while now, but it's o... | PS4

HotLiked - What the Internet is talking about right now

Now - Kill some time at HotLiked.com. You will regret it... | Promoted post

Chronicle: RuneScape Legends Enters Closed Beta

56m ago - Jagex, the creators of the award-winning free-to-play MMO RuneScape, today announced the beginnin... | PC

17 Best Star Wars Games of All Time

1h ago - Chillopedia: Gaming has exceptionally evolved since the past decade, which is quite evident from... | Culture

Minecraft: Story Mode - Episode 3 “The Last Place You Look” Complete Walkthrough

3h ago - Episode 3 “The Last Place You Look” Complete Walkthrough of Minecraft: Story Mode on the PC in 60... | PC