Submitted by -Alpha 864d ago | news

Sony tells Eurogamer: PlayStation 4 will not block used games

Shuhei Yoshida confirms it. Plus: source tells EG patent wasn't PS4-related. (PS4, Sony)

Alternative Sources
mandf  +   864d ago
That's the end of that made up rumor.
rainslacker  +   864d ago
And I say good riddance to the rumor.:)

Beautiful thing in this quote

"Yes. That's the general expectation by consumers," said Yoshida. "They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation."
#1.1 (Edited 864d ago ) | Agree(30) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
knowyourstuff  +   864d ago
Microsoft definitely isn't going to block used games if Sony isn't. You can put money on that one. They aren't stupid enough to let something like Used games be the deciding factor above all else. They need to compete and as such must give into demands of us, the consumers. They won't risk having their next gen system being obsolete as soon as it's released - with technology no one will ever buy into.
BitbyDeath  +   864d ago
MS still might as their new console is said to force users into installing games to the HDD before running them.

Used game prevention can easily be implemented through this by allowing only one game install per machine.
#1.1.2 (Edited 864d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report
Dee_91  +   864d ago
will it have backward compatibility?
#1.1.3 (Edited 864d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
AAACE5  +   864d ago
Thank god!

I was worried the games industry was making a turn for the worse!
sunnygrg  +   864d ago
lol Gamestop's stocks will probably rise again.
Ashlen  +   864d ago
Best news all night!
MasterCornholio  +   864d ago
Not quite. Microsoft still has to deny it.

Motorola RAZR i
007Bond  +   864d ago
As an Xbox gamer if Microsoft does this and Sony does not, I think I will be buying a PS4 instead
Rainstorm81  +   864d ago
As will many Xbox gamers....that's why Microsoft wont do it...they would be fools to
mandf  +   864d ago
After thinking about it for a bit. Xbox gamers should thank Sony, they took one for the team. They released their specs and gave their ruling on used games. They showed their hand which will make MS reconsider blocking used games if they were actually going to do it. It was a ballsy move. I would have held my hand because once the specs were revealed, what's to stop Ms from one upping them.
sashimi  +   864d ago
MS can up their specs if they so choose but Sony most likely had a price point in mind anyway and wanted to limit their loss per console sold early on as much as possible. So regardless of what MS does i see Sony sticking to what their currently have and maybe making some small adjustments what nothing major.

Also remember we don't want to pay an arm an a leg for our consoles lol. We actually want to buy some games along with it.
CraigandDayDay  +   864d ago
As far as RAM goes, I don't see MS doing more than 8gb gddr5. Anymore than that would be pretty pricey.
Awesome_Gamer  +   863d ago
I can't believe some people actually believed Sony is that stupid. Blocking used games while the other isn't doing it is a commercial suicide, really. Microsoft will be stupid if they did block it.
-Alpha  +   864d ago
Ball is in Microsoft's court now.

This rumour either dies off, or Microsoft blocks used games and change the playing field. I am going to assume they wont, even if they wanted to.
#2 (Edited 864d ago ) | Agree(20) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
majiebeast  +   864d ago
Well microsoft hasnt commented yet while sony did(Jack Tretton) Dont forget the Sony part of EDGE's next gen rumors were all true including the 8GB of GDDR5, which everyone was laughing at and thought to be impossible. Superdea the guy with the durango devkit got raided by Microsoft and Sony so there must be some truth to what he was saying as well.
#2.1 (Edited 864d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Outside_ofthe_Box  +   864d ago
MS won't block used games. The backlash would be huge.
Ashunderfire86  +   864d ago
PS4 8GB GDDR5!!! This is what Crytek wish for.
AngelicIceDiamond  +   864d ago
If Sony confirmed they aren't doing it then MS sure as hell wont go through with it I'm sure.
Bathyj  +   864d ago
Interesting that Sony confirmed they wouldnt.

They could have easily left MS to announce they would making I think a monument blunder instead of tipping their hand early.

Or who knows, maybe they talked amongst themselves and both have agreed already it would be a mistake for the industry.
mandf  +   864d ago
That's what I was thinking.
PockyKing  +   864d ago
This was the dumbest rumor I've heard in a long time. Glad someone's finally putting it to rest.
animegamingnerd  +   864d ago
glad i can still rent games from gamefly since i can't afford to play every game when it comes out
Relientk77  +   864d ago
I'm glad that we won't be seeing that rumor again
SilentNegotiator  +   864d ago
That Rumor: See ya in like, 4 years! AHAHAHAHA!
WooHooAlex  +   864d ago
I actually plan on downloading the majority of my games next-gen. Being able to play the game while it downloads, that sold me on the idea of going mostly digital for consoles. But its good to know that I can trade in games to put toward a new game purchase if I want to.

It'll be interesting to see if the Microsoft allows the new Xbox to play used games, now that we know Sony will.
smashcrashbash  +   864d ago
Good. So far I am on board with the PS4.It sounds like Sony is going all out to make sure that the PS4 is user and developer friendly.The best part is that no one would be crazy to block used games unless someone else was doing it.Microsoft wouldn't dare do something like this by themselves.I hope all the haters see this article.
The Great Melon  +   864d ago
Nice that rumor was put to rest.

My only big question I have left is with Gaikai. Hopefully they allow you to own both the Cloud and disc version of the game when you purchase a physical game. This would help facilitate the transition to digital media without getting rid of physical media.
#8 (Edited 864d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
WooHooAlex  +   864d ago
That patent they filed for blocking used games, maybe they're planning on licensing that tech to Microsoft :P
r21  +   864d ago
Praise be gaming. If its not for PS4, hopefully it wont happen with the nextbox.
helghast102  +   864d ago
Give it another 6 years this ridiculous rumour will crop up again.

All it takes to debunk these rumours is just a little bit of logic. Each and every one of you can do it.
nigelp520  +   864d ago
SONY DESERVES VAST AMOUNTS OF HEAD FOR THIS DECISION. JUST NOT FROM ME NOR PPL I KNO
BigStef71  +   864d ago
Ok one rumor shot down. Now lets see the rumor about no more free online turn out to be false
#13 (Edited 864d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
BitbyDeath  +   864d ago
Can't find the article but that was proven false earlier as well.
Online is free.
#13.1 (Edited 864d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
BigStef71  +   864d ago
Oh really? I didn't hear that. That's good to know now
BitbyDeath  +   864d ago
Still can't find the article, maybe someone else can post it, have read so many today.
MultiConsoleGamer  +   864d ago
Thank goodness!

Although honestly I didn't believe Sony or MS would block used games. It's suicide. Plus Nintendo already has a console on the market that doesn't block used games, if Sony and MS had done otherwise they would have handed the gen to Nintendo.
juandren  +   864d ago
I don't think any of them can mess up so badly that this gen goes to Nintendo
NateCole  +   864d ago
It never did bother me as i haven't bought any used games last gen (PS3). However i am glad that they have finally cleared this.
MegaLagann  +   864d ago
'Phew" We can rest easy now. Thank you Sony for having common sense, now the real question is will Microsoft be as smart...
jalen247  +   864d ago
That's that...hope those who buy used games are satisfied.

I buy mine new so it would not have bothered me either way.
T2  +   864d ago
I never believed this , why would they? However I can see downloads being discounted a bit so retailers may get a bit less of the pie ... Id download games to save 10 bucks
blackblades  +   864d ago
I can care less all my ps3 games are new and bought at price lower than $49, but they want block used games but they will have something like a improved online pass or something.
Raider69  +   864d ago
Im glad they come out and talk what people was expecting.
PhillipSantanaMusic  +   864d ago
i hope hes not talking used PS4 games. lol

i cant wait though non the less, i cant wait, im sooo glad its 8 cores again and that RAM, I'll take 8 Pleaze!! Did you say Solidstate HDD? Sure! :)
djtek184  +   864d ago
Thank you Sony.
JohnApocalypse  +   864d ago
I knew it wouldn't. I'm %100 certain the 720 won't do it either
BlaqMagiq24  +   864d ago
Yes. Thank you Sony. Now I can keep getting rid of unwanted games.
Captain Tuttle  +   864d ago
Good news.

The only reason I could see MS blocking used games now is if they have some massive exclusivity deals with publishers (COD/GTA5/Battlefield etc), either lengthy timed or permanent. Otherwise I don't see how they'd benefit.
dcbronco  +   863d ago
Microsoft still might block games. Sony has taken a position. MS could poll developers, if they say they believe it helps them it could happen. I don't think there will be many exclusives this generation outside of 1st party games, but this could have an influence even it was just additional content.

Edit; Or, what Tuttle said.
#26 (Edited 863d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited – Progress Report: My First Milestone

6m ago - Anthony DeCicco writes: Now that I have quite a few days under my belt in Elder Scrolls Online: T... | PC

Should MAG 2 Be Developed For The PS4?

10m ago - Should MAG 2 be developed for the PS4 after all its servers were uncermoniously shut down last year? | PS4

At a Glance: Bishop Games

Now - Bishop Games is a small studio out of Quebec City, Canada. The three-person studio began work on their first game, Light Fall, last year and have s... | Promoted post

Best Buy Ad 7/5 - 7/11

15m ago - Take a look at the latest Best Buy weekly ad. | PC

From Cartoon to Game 2 of 6- The Raccoons

17m ago - Carl Williams writes, "This is a personal favorite of mine, it is a niche title that most reading... | Culture

Five Commodore 64 Homebrew Games That Rock

33m ago - Carl Williams writes, "The Commodore 64 was a gaming computer from the 80’s that just wouldn’t qu... | Retro