Submitted by -Alpha 555d ago | news

Sony tells Eurogamer: PlayStation 4 will not block used games

Shuhei Yoshida confirms it. Plus: source tells EG patent wasn't PS4-related. (PS4, Sony)

Alternative Sources
mandf  +   555d ago
That's the end of that made up rumor.
rainslacker  +   555d ago
And I say good riddance to the rumor.:)

Beautiful thing in this quote

"Yes. That's the general expectation by consumers," said Yoshida. "They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation."
#1.1 (Edited 555d ago ) | Agree(30) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
knowyourstuff  +   555d ago
Microsoft definitely isn't going to block used games if Sony isn't. You can put money on that one. They aren't stupid enough to let something like Used games be the deciding factor above all else. They need to compete and as such must give into demands of us, the consumers. They won't risk having their next gen system being obsolete as soon as it's released - with technology no one will ever buy into.
BitbyDeath  +   555d ago
MS still might as their new console is said to force users into installing games to the HDD before running them.

Used game prevention can easily be implemented through this by allowing only one game install per machine.
#1.1.2 (Edited 555d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report
Dee_91  +   555d ago
will it have backward compatibility?
#1.1.3 (Edited 555d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
AAACE5  +   555d ago
Thank god!

I was worried the games industry was making a turn for the worse!
sunnygrg  +   555d ago
lol Gamestop's stocks will probably rise again.
Ashlen  +   555d ago
Best news all night!
MasterCornholio  +   555d ago
Not quite. Microsoft still has to deny it.

Motorola RAZR i
007Bond  +   555d ago
As an Xbox gamer if Microsoft does this and Sony does not, I think I will be buying a PS4 instead
Rainstorm81  +   554d ago
As will many Xbox gamers....that's why Microsoft wont do it...they would be fools to
mandf  +   555d ago
After thinking about it for a bit. Xbox gamers should thank Sony, they took one for the team. They released their specs and gave their ruling on used games. They showed their hand which will make MS reconsider blocking used games if they were actually going to do it. It was a ballsy move. I would have held my hand because once the specs were revealed, what's to stop Ms from one upping them.
sashimi  +   554d ago
MS can up their specs if they so choose but Sony most likely had a price point in mind anyway and wanted to limit their loss per console sold early on as much as possible. So regardless of what MS does i see Sony sticking to what their currently have and maybe making some small adjustments what nothing major.

Also remember we don't want to pay an arm an a leg for our consoles lol. We actually want to buy some games along with it.
CraigandDayDay  +   554d ago
As far as RAM goes, I don't see MS doing more than 8gb gddr5. Anymore than that would be pretty pricey.
Awesome_Gamer  +   554d ago
I can't believe some people actually believed Sony is that stupid. Blocking used games while the other isn't doing it is a commercial suicide, really. Microsoft will be stupid if they did block it.
-Alpha  +   555d ago
Ball is in Microsoft's court now.

This rumour either dies off, or Microsoft blocks used games and change the playing field. I am going to assume they wont, even if they wanted to.
#2 (Edited 555d ago ) | Agree(20) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
majiebeast  +   555d ago
Well microsoft hasnt commented yet while sony did(Jack Tretton) Dont forget the Sony part of EDGE's next gen rumors were all true including the 8GB of GDDR5, which everyone was laughing at and thought to be impossible. Superdea the guy with the durango devkit got raided by Microsoft and Sony so there must be some truth to what he was saying as well.
#2.1 (Edited 555d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Outside_ofthe_Box  +   555d ago
MS won't block used games. The backlash would be huge.
Ashunderfire86  +   555d ago
PS4 8GB GDDR5!!! This is what Crytek wish for.
AngelicIceDiamond  +   555d ago
If Sony confirmed they aren't doing it then MS sure as hell wont go through with it I'm sure.
Bathyj  +   555d ago
Interesting that Sony confirmed they wouldnt.

They could have easily left MS to announce they would making I think a monument blunder instead of tipping their hand early.

Or who knows, maybe they talked amongst themselves and both have agreed already it would be a mistake for the industry.
mandf  +   555d ago
That's what I was thinking.
PockyKing  +   555d ago
This was the dumbest rumor I've heard in a long time. Glad someone's finally putting it to rest.
animegamingnerd  +   555d ago
glad i can still rent games from gamefly since i can't afford to play every game when it comes out
Relientk77  +   555d ago
I'm glad that we won't be seeing that rumor again
SilentNegotiator  +   555d ago
That Rumor: See ya in like, 4 years! AHAHAHAHA!
WooHooAlex  +   555d ago
I actually plan on downloading the majority of my games next-gen. Being able to play the game while it downloads, that sold me on the idea of going mostly digital for consoles. But its good to know that I can trade in games to put toward a new game purchase if I want to.

It'll be interesting to see if the Microsoft allows the new Xbox to play used games, now that we know Sony will.
smashcrashbash  +   555d ago
Good. So far I am on board with the PS4.It sounds like Sony is going all out to make sure that the PS4 is user and developer friendly.The best part is that no one would be crazy to block used games unless someone else was doing it.Microsoft wouldn't dare do something like this by themselves.I hope all the haters see this article.
The Great Melon  +   555d ago
Nice that rumor was put to rest.

My only big question I have left is with Gaikai. Hopefully they allow you to own both the Cloud and disc version of the game when you purchase a physical game. This would help facilitate the transition to digital media without getting rid of physical media.
#8 (Edited 555d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
WooHooAlex  +   555d ago
That patent they filed for blocking used games, maybe they're planning on licensing that tech to Microsoft :P
r21  +   555d ago
Praise be gaming. If its not for PS4, hopefully it wont happen with the nextbox.
helghast102  +   555d ago
Give it another 6 years this ridiculous rumour will crop up again.

All it takes to debunk these rumours is just a little bit of logic. Each and every one of you can do it.
nigelp520  +   555d ago
SONY DESERVES VAST AMOUNTS OF HEAD FOR THIS DECISION. JUST NOT FROM ME NOR PPL I KNO
BigStef71  +   555d ago
Ok one rumor shot down. Now lets see the rumor about no more free online turn out to be false
#13 (Edited 555d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
BitbyDeath  +   555d ago
Can't find the article but that was proven false earlier as well.
Online is free.
#13.1 (Edited 555d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
BigStef71  +   555d ago
Oh really? I didn't hear that. That's good to know now
BitbyDeath  +   555d ago
Still can't find the article, maybe someone else can post it, have read so many today.
MultiConsoleGamer  +   555d ago
Thank goodness!

Although honestly I didn't believe Sony or MS would block used games. It's suicide. Plus Nintendo already has a console on the market that doesn't block used games, if Sony and MS had done otherwise they would have handed the gen to Nintendo.
juandren  +   555d ago
I don't think any of them can mess up so badly that this gen goes to Nintendo
NateCole  +   555d ago
It never did bother me as i haven't bought any used games last gen (PS3). However i am glad that they have finally cleared this.
MegaLagann  +   555d ago
'Phew" We can rest easy now. Thank you Sony for having common sense, now the real question is will Microsoft be as smart...
jalen247  +   555d ago
That's that...hope those who buy used games are satisfied.

I buy mine new so it would not have bothered me either way.
T2  +   555d ago
I never believed this , why would they? However I can see downloads being discounted a bit so retailers may get a bit less of the pie ... Id download games to save 10 bucks
blackblades  +   555d ago
I can care less all my ps3 games are new and bought at price lower than $49, but they want block used games but they will have something like a improved online pass or something.
Raider69  +   555d ago
Im glad they come out and talk what people was expecting.
PhillipSantanaMusic  +   555d ago
i hope hes not talking used PS4 games. lol

i cant wait though non the less, i cant wait, im sooo glad its 8 cores again and that RAM, I'll take 8 Pleaze!! Did you say Solidstate HDD? Sure! :)
djtek184  +   555d ago
Thank you Sony.
JohnApocalypse  +   555d ago
I knew it wouldn't. I'm %100 certain the 720 won't do it either
BlaqMagiq24  +   554d ago
Yes. Thank you Sony. Now I can keep getting rid of unwanted games.
Captain Tuttle  +   554d ago
Good news.

The only reason I could see MS blocking used games now is if they have some massive exclusivity deals with publishers (COD/GTA5/Battlefield etc), either lengthy timed or permanent. Otherwise I don't see how they'd benefit.
dcbronco  +   554d ago
Microsoft still might block games. Sony has taken a position. MS could poll developers, if they say they believe it helps them it could happen. I don't think there will be many exclusives this generation outside of 1st party games, but this could have an influence even it was just additional content.

Edit; Or, what Tuttle said.
#26 (Edited 554d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

Heroes of the Storm: Nova Walkthrough Guide

12m ago - David: November Terra, also known as Nova, is the female counterpart to Jim Raynor and to any oth... | PC

It's been a bad week to be a gamer, but it's not all doom and gloom

13m ago - Examiner Joe McCallister is a bit fed up with all the bad news in the gaming community right now.... | Culture

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Meet Ratbag Trailer

14m ago - Meet Ratbag Trailer of Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor. | PC

PAX Prime 2014: Details from The Behemoth’s New Game; Coming to Xbox One and Steam

16m ago - Junkie Monkeys: We’ve known of The Behemoth’s Game 4 for some time now and up until now we’ve onl... | PC

Need Cash? (US Only)

Now - How would it feel to have your money struggles solved by this time tomorrow? We give fast loans from $100-$10,000+, and repayment terms up to 60 mo... | Promoted post

PAX 14 – Alien Isolation is Survival Horror Like It Was Always Meant To Be (Twinfinite)

18m ago - Matthew from Twinfinite writes: I’m always confused when people tell me they prefer James Came... | PC