Submitted by deno 526d ago | opinion piece

Weekend Wondering: Which PlayStation Generation was Your Favorite?

Retro game opinion piece. (Retro)

« 1 2 »
Snookies12  +   526d ago
Has to be the PS1 for me. It had FF7, 8, and 9... It had Tenchu 2, Chrono Cross, Soul Reaver, Bushido Blade 1 & 2, Metal Gear Solid, Wild Arms, etc.

However, the PS2 came very close with FFX, Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2, MGS 2 & 3, San Andreas, Ace Combat 4 & 5.... Argh, I could keep going here for both of these systems, but they're almost neck and neck.

Either way, both of those systems were beyond amazing, and were a good portion of my younger years. Here's hoping the PS4 will be looked back upon with similar fondness.

The PS3 is a wonderful system, don't get me wrong. For me personally though, it's just not on the same level as PS1 and PS2.
#1 (Edited 526d ago ) | Agree(17) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
fluffydelusions  +   526d ago
PS1 for me too. For me it was sort of a revolution in gaming. It felt like more adult orientated gaming. So many fond memories with that system. Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil games, Dino Crisis, Jet Moto etc etc
#1.1 (Edited 526d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Shadow Flare  +   526d ago
PS1 for me too. All of the games mentioned above defined the console, and they were such big steps up from the previous generation. Going from 2D to 3D gaming had such a massive impact on gaming, it changed the way I viewed games forever. And on top of 3D, it had games like final fantasy 7, metal gear solid and gran turismo which completely changed the way I imagined games could be. I saw a whole new depth that gaming could reach that I never saw before.

And Sony switched gaming into a platform for adults as well. Titles like WipeOut 2097 with its pulsating soundtrack was just so cool. It was also the first time I saw FMV cut-scenes in games. Which though taken for granted today was just jaw dropping at the time. Games actually had these amazing intros to them now, and each one was an absolute joy to watch. Watching the intro of Gran Turismo 1 and Final Fantasy 7 for the first times were just unforgettable.

And let's not forget, it had what is still the best console startup of any PlayStation device

#1.1.1 (Edited 526d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(3) | Report
MikeMyers  +   526d ago
Same, PSOne. It came at the perfect time when Nintendo needed a kick in the ass. At the time the system was revolutionary. You could play audio CD's and it had system link which was such a cool concept back then on consoles.
Sarcasm  +   526d ago
PS2>PS1>PS3

But not by too far. I enjoyed all of them for different reasons. Although I would say the PS1 had the most hits. But I still enjoyed MGS4, Uncharted, Killzone, etc. Uncharted is still by far my most favorite franchise this entire generation.
irepbtown  +   526d ago
I cannot pick one unfortunately... all three were amazing.

However I think PS4 might top all three. I have a slight feeling they might just call it 'Playstation'... back to its roots.

Feb 20th it is.
BattleAxe  +   526d ago
PS3 was my favorite generation overall. The reason for this is because of games like:

- Rainbow Six Vegas 1
- God of War 3
- The Darkness
- Grand Theft Auto 4
- Metal Gear Solid 4
- Resistance: Fall of Man
- Resistance 2

These were the games that felt new, refreshing and in some cases magical to me this generation.

For me, the PS2 generation was all about:

- Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
- WWF Smackdown
- Driver
- Gran Turismo
- Need for Speed
Thefreeman012  +   526d ago
PS1, games like spyro, Crash, Twisted Metal, soul caliber are the games that got me into gaming
yess  +   526d ago
My favorit gen was the one running from 1994 to 2013/14
#1.3 (Edited 526d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Ares84HU  +   526d ago
My personal favorite is PS1. I LOVE that system till this day. I still play Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, Abe's Oddworld, Tenchu, Jurassic Park the Lost World, Deathtrap Dungeon. Soul Blade, Gex often.

Close second is PS3....PS2 I really don't care for that much to be honest.
#1.4 (Edited 526d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Deputydon  +   526d ago
PS1 for sure. FF7-9, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, MGS1, Star Ocean: The Second Story, Legend of Dragoon, Castlevania: SOTN (I'm aware it wasn't originally on PS, but it was by far the best version), and so much more. That was the last console with a ton of JRPGs. PS2 had a good amount, but there weren't quite as many high quality ones. So for me, it goes PS1 > PS2 > PS3. I do expect Sony to top it all this time around.
miyamoto  +   526d ago

Bust A Move
Dance Dance Revolution
and many many more

All excellent games!
#1.6 (Edited 526d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
NBT91  +   526d ago
DoA started on PS1? Huh I never knew that, interesting.

the thing I liked about the PS1 is it forced creativity and originality. No developers really had many established IP at that point.
Since then it has been roughly the same but looking better visually. I mean some of those franchises are still going strong after all that time, madness.

Not to say PS2 wasn't fantastic. The leap in hardware pretty much revolutionized some games like GTA. New IPs like God of War, Bully and more all started on PS2.

I think I had the most fun with the PS1 though, it was simple plug and play goodness.

As for PS3, I think it was the weakest generation of the lot. Not bad by any means but not up to standard.
#1.6.1 (Edited 526d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
Shadow Flare  +   526d ago
I think need for speed started on ps1 too
miyamoto  +   526d ago
I forgot to mention the awesome

Guilty Gear
Vagrant Story
Monster Rancher
Digimon
Thunder Force V
Einhander
Jaces  +   526d ago
PS1 and PS2 for me are neck and neck but PS1 comes out by a sliver of a hair.

Those were the golden days for sure. PS3 gen was no failure by any means but nothing beats playing during the innovative/originality stage in a systems lifetime. I expect PS4 to blow us out of the water, Sony has learned their lessons this gen now it's time to deliver.
#1.7 (Edited 526d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
solidt12  +   526d ago
PS3. Current gen.
user3915800  +   526d ago
I have to said PS1 was the best, so many new games and favorites came to the PS1, but also the first time I felt the console was a let down with the laser upside down to read. I hold up to PS2 and lrd and behold laser read error/ blue screen. PS3 was no diferent, YLOD, ps2 chip faulty and over heating. Sony has the most game of any other consoles, but they bring faulty products to market, all 3 generations had them. I will wait on PS4 until they fix the broken console, cause no doubt in my mind it will be faulty at launch. Only nintendo has introduced great reliable consoles, but as we can see the wiiu suck. For my money sony had the best games, while their consoles has always been poor reliably.
wishingW3L  +   526d ago
the first one.
deno  +   526d ago
Definitely the PlayStation one for me. I loved Resident Evil 1-3, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill and Crash Bandicoot. Xenogears and Legend of Lagaia also.
mcstorm  +   526d ago
It was mine to. I could not get into the ps2 for some reason and the ps3 lost its way with the 3rd party but looking forward to seeing what Sony give us next gen.
Lvl_up_gamer  +   526d ago
Yup Playstation 1 was the best playstation era for me as well. Resident Evil, Loaded, Jet Moto, Ace combat, Tekken, A-Train, Doom, Twisted Metal, Crash Bandicoot Need for Speed, GT, Legacy of Kain etc oh man those were the days.

Favorite gaming moments of my life.
#3.2 (Edited 526d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
MadMen  +   526d ago
PS1 by a mile, it set the mile stone, it showed Nintendo they were not the only kid around, it brought cool to gaming

I still have most of my games in brand new condition.

Playstation 1 4Life
ApolloTheBoss  +   526d ago
PSone will always be the king of them all.
parkerpeters  +   526d ago
PS2 hands down. In my opinion, and I wont play favorites, but it is an EQUAL with the SNES for greatest console of all time.

Thousands of games, solid, dependable hardware, and the best controller on earth, Dual Shock 2. Can't ask for much more.
Walker  +   526d ago
Playstation 2 was incredible . Greatest home console ever made .

PS2>PS1>PS3
Karpetburnz  +   526d ago
PS2 was the best for me.

I hope PS4 is the best Playstation yet.
BillySpandex  +   526d ago
I loved the PSOne generation, but if I have to rank them, PS2 > PS3 > PSOne.
kalkano  +   526d ago
I have to say, I don't understand the thought that PS3 isn't the worst of the 3...There was a massive drop in originality, and versatility this gen. Everything revolves around shooters/action-oriented games now...boring. If you like that sort of game, fine. But, don't you want to play something different sometimes? And, can the rest of us have something to play?
BillySpandex  +   525d ago
It's probably because it started off on such a shaky foot, but in my eyes, they've redeemed themselves and are finishing off this gen, extremely strong.
pr0t0typeknuckles  +   526d ago
ps2 hands down
Cajun Chicken  +   526d ago
PS2, the platformers and action adventure games.
Gamesgbkiller  +   526d ago
PS1
MightyMatt101  +   526d ago
So hard to pick but if someone had a gun to my head demanding an answer I'd go with PS1. So many good memories of playing with friends, and my brothers. Here's my top 10 PS1 games.
1.metal gear solid
2. Resident evil 2
3. Castlevania symphony of the night.
4. FF7
5. Silent Hill
6. Twisted Metal 2
7. Crash bandicoot
8. Legacy of Cain soul reaver
9. Spyro the dragon
10. Tenchu 2
#13 (Edited 526d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Cam977  +   526d ago
It has to be the PS2 for me. Both the Ps1 and Ps3 were great but the Ps2 was amazing.
EG:
HITMAN GAMES
THE SIMPSONS HIT AND RUN
ICO

I could go on and on...
#14 (Edited 526d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Hicken  +   526d ago
PS2 for me. It might have been PS1, but I really didn't get into that generation until late; by the time I was getting into it, the PS2 was just around the corner.

That said, this generation isn't over yet.
kikizoo  +   526d ago
PS3>ps2>ps1

i don't compare games from different generations obviously better (more complex, etc) now, and HD, but :

online, psn, wireless pad, earsets, etc made a big difference..
#16 (Edited 526d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
kalkano  +   526d ago
I can only agree about the wireless controller. The rest is meaningless to me. Did you play PS1 and PS2? The big difference is, the games were more FUN and VARIED back then.

PS3 is the worst...by far...
Bordel_1900  +   526d ago
PS1 > PS2 > PS3
Silly gameAr  +   526d ago
For me, it's the PS1. I loved my Super NES and owned over 30 games for it, but I didn't really start to appreciate gaming until I got my PS1. When I was younger, I just wanted to play fun games and skipped the ones that might take a little effort to beat. Then, came games like Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7, Tomb Raider, Battle Arena Toshindin,Frontier Saga, Tekken, Busido Blade, Wild Arms, Resident Evil and so on and on and on lol.

Those are the games that made me want to go back and tackle the games that imo, might have taken effort like Chrono Trigger, Legend of Mana, Link To the Past,Castlevania, well, you know where I'm going with this. So, the way I see it, the Super NES and the Genesis were the beginning of my love for gaming, but the Playstation nurtured that love and helped me to branch out play things that I never thought I would have the patience to play, and love every minute of it.
#18 (Edited 526d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Jek_Porkins  +   526d ago
I have to admit that it was the PS1, after only playing 16 bit games on the SNES and Genesis I was totally blown away by the PS1. I mean Tomb Raider, Crash, Medievil, Final Fantasy VII, Spyro, Twisted Metal, Metal Gear Solid, Odd World, Resident Evil and does anyone remember the 989 Gameday football series? That game was just epic and I remember being blown away by it.

I am probably older then a lot of people here, but that was really a great memory in gaming for me. PS2 was good too, because that console appealed to so many diverse groups of people, and the price point was just too damn sweet to pass up on. I'd still go with the PS1, I still have around 100 PS1 games.
MightyMatt101  +   526d ago
I played the crap out of game day 98' I'm 27 don't feel like you're the only old dude here xD
Jek_Porkins  +   526d ago
I'm 27 as well, I loved Game Day 98! I still have my copy. I even had a PS1 slim in my car in the early 2000's.

I think that console was inventive and changed gaming forever. I mean duel shock rocked my world, and the first Gran Turismo was earth shattering... so many great memories...Metal Gear Solid was my first "All nighter" where I stayed up all night to beat a game.
MightyMatt101  +   526d ago
Nice! My first all nighter was metal gear solid too!! After I finished that I slept woke up and did another all nighter with Castlevania symphony of the night!
Jek_Porkins  +   526d ago
I still play Symphony Of The Night on my PSP! I love that game, aside from the voice acting. So you definitely know where I'm coming from. The PS1 was when sh1t got real as far as I'm concerned.

Still have my PS1 slim and original PS1 as well.
Kratoscar2008  +   526d ago
For RPGs the PS2 for sure, the SMT series is there thats why.

Both PS1 and PS2 were really awesome, the PS3 while good it lacked in the JRPG department.
parkerpeters  +   526d ago
The PS2 was an RPG heaven for sure! The best RPGs of all time call it home, and I am hoping this new controller for the PS4 is going to invite the same amount of RPGs and technical sims to PS4.

Here's to hoping!
belac09  +   526d ago
SMT FTW!!!!
DomceM  +   526d ago
PS1
Gamer-40  +   526d ago
My favorite PlayStation generation: Ps1 and Ps2.

Ps1: FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve, Final Fantasy Tactics, Gran Turismo, Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, Soul Raver, MGS, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Dragon Quest VII, Dino Crisis etc.

Ps2: Gran Turismo 3-4, Final Fantasy X-XII, Dragon Quest VIII, MGS 2-3, Jak and Daxter, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, ICO, Soul Calibur 3, Onimusha, Tourist Trophy, Soul Raver 2, Dark Cloud 1-2 etc.
black911  +   526d ago
PS1=PS2>PS3
MasterCornholio  +   526d ago
I had a fantastic experience with all 3 but my favorite has to be the PS2.

But i do agree with everyone that the Final Fantasy games on the PSone were fantastic and in my opinion they are much better than most JRPGs on the PS3.
StrongMan  +   526d ago
That's a tough call. All three PlayStation consoles were EPIC!
belac09  +   526d ago
PS 2 for me, its a close call though with the ps 1. that being said i love all of them for their own reasons.
jakmckratos  +   526d ago
PS1 introduced me to games. PS2 got me into them. PS3 cemented my love. I can't pick. They're all special.
SOULJER  +   526d ago
PS2. Because a lot of my friends had the system. Just now some of my friends are buying a PS3. Serious. No lie.
RevXM  +   526d ago
This far Id say the ps3.
All gens obviosly had their games worthy of a memory but ps3 is the one console that have had most effort put in its exclusives.
Sony first party devs are getting better and bolder.

Ps3 is also their most ambitious sytem yet. All the money put in to the hardware and features not only resulted in the most powerful system yet but also the most flexible one. Ps3 truly is a multipurpose device and stands as a truly futureproof machine capable of fulfilling all my entertainment needs and then some.

Ps3 is far from finnished. I suspect it can even hold out longer than ps2 if sony can provide clever system updates and refreshing its software features, especially the web browser.
Rampaged Death  +   526d ago
PS2 by a mile. So many great games.
« 1 2 »

Marvel‘s Guardians of the Galaxy skin pack coming to Minecraft

35m ago - James writes - "With the film about to hit the cinemas it makes sense to announce a Guardians of... | Xbox 360

Another Hyrule Warriors stream coming on Thursday - Miyamoto, Aonuma, and others attending

1h ago - Hyrule Warriors will be seeing another streaming event this week. | Wii U

Paper Mario Stage Announced for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS

1h ago - It was revealed today that Super Smash Bros. for 3DS will include a stage based on the Paper Mari... | 3DS

The Good, The Bad, and What The: Kat from Devil May Cry

1h ago - So Kat is the girl that basically replaces Trish in the new “DmC” reboot. In terms of her spot in... | Xbox 360

Study Game Design at DeVry

Mr. Painter will be updated with some of the Leonid Afremov paintings.

1h ago - The developers of Those Pixels will bring to the game a new update with some of the paintings of... | iPhone