Submitted by kewlrats 1013d ago | article

A deep dive look at the Playstation 4 leaked controller [SideQuesting]

"With the leak of the supposed Playstation 4 controller, the team takes a deep dive look at the design, including the advantages of the new stick designs and the two mystery buttons on the top." (PS4, Sony)

Alternative Sources
TobeyMaguireFan   1013d ago | Spam
George Sears  +   1013d ago
The articles notion of touch pad for browser use sounds okay but most Sony browsers are just plain shit.

Honestly though, I don't see nor can think of any use of this. I dislike the Vita's rear touchpad (can't stand random knife stabbing people in MGS3) and this seems to just be another gimmick like the SIXAXIS controls.

Sony, do what you want to do. Just let me be able to use my DS3 on the PS4 with no repercussions.

Yeah, it is way better that's for sure. I don't use it since I have a phone.
#2 (Edited 1013d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
r21  +   1013d ago
Hey the vita browser is way better than the PS3's. Thats for sure.
TongkatAli  +   1013d ago
This and cross game chat and Skype. I'm gonna stop now.
poopsack  +   1013d ago
I think the only way you'll be using this touch pad mistakingly is if you have hands the size of Shrek.
nukeitall  +   1012d ago
Is the touchpad even really used with the PS Vita?

Like what for?

I fail to see the need for a touchpad personally.
#2.3 (Edited 1012d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
soultecc  +   1013d ago
i gotta admit that controller looks ugly as hell
Conzul  +   1013d ago
Concave sticks are good but I'm not so hot about the rims on them.
DomceM  +   1012d ago
yeah i agree. I think they should have done a better rim job than the one we see.

xPhearR3dx  +   1013d ago
Agreed. Apparently it's an early prototype, but it's pretty damn ugly, that's for sure.
Panthers  +   1013d ago
This will obviously get at aesthetic overhaul. The features seem great, but it is ugly. It reminds me of a cheap mad catz controller.

However, the features have me very excited and I cant wait for the 20th.
soultecc  +   1013d ago
exactlx by no means i meant it was crap, just ugly really ugly
pedroyamato   1013d ago | Spam
BeAGamer  +   1013d ago
<3 sony
NaiNaiNai  +   1013d ago
Crappy console is crappy.
DomceM  +   1012d ago
hey i love pc, but whats wrong with owning a console?
superdupernintendo   1012d ago | Spam
evilhasitsway  +   1013d ago
how dumb can some get that is simply the select and start button.
#8 (Edited 1013d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
evilhasitsway  +   1013d ago
and this is most likely a prototype just like the dev kit.
deadfrag  +   1013d ago
The hands grip seems to be longer,thats actually good,since the DS3 fits small in my hands.
LE  +   1013d ago
Good "Move" Sony. Have to trick developers to innovate these days. Reason for future games to offer something different than what we've been getting this past generation. Hope something like this makes the final cut. Also, no blu tooth, no problem. C'mon new SOCOM, time to start brainstorming COD developers.
TheOneEyedHound  +   1013d ago
I still it's an EyeCamera.
thehitman  +   1013d ago
What worried me is not the controller but what it was plugged into.. hope that was just some horrid dev kit or extremely early prototype cus if that was a PS4 holy shit its ugly from the pics i seen so far.
squarecircle  +   1012d ago
Lol, most dev kits look like that so don't worry.
Bathyj  +   1013d ago
Ha, The Last Dragon pic.
I was just thinking about that movie the other day.

controller looks ok, different but the same. Thats what I wanted. Not too much change.

The built in mic is a good idea. Doesnt effect me but should stop some b*tching. Everything else looks solid.
BitbyDeath  +   1013d ago
Built in mic might also be used for menu/os functions or even Singstar, although it'd be a bit weird to sing into a controller.
#14.1 (Edited 1013d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Bathyj  +   1013d ago
I think theyre right about it being for online play. That way everyone got one and there no excuses.

Same goes for the move thingy. I'm not really into motion gaming (except Killzone with the sharpshooter, that rocked) and I dont how they'll use that but if its true at least everyone has it and they might put some effort into it.
DA_SHREDDER  +   1013d ago
here's a solution. Make your controller an android device, handles almost everything.
ExCest  +   1013d ago
Then H@XX0RZ!

That'd be a bad, bad idea.
PS4isKing_82  +   1012d ago
I feel like this is the sixaxis all over again.
A mild attempt to change it but reverts back to the standard ds function with the feature being rarely used or Implemented in games.

I wouldn't put much thought into the touch pad part of it.
My thoughts are Sony will go back to the same model except for a couple of slight changes such as the L and R triggers.

And ya, that prototype is fugly!! Lol
kungfuian  +   1012d ago
the move light on the top of the controller along with the 2 cameras on the dev system could be used create a 3d effect by moving the controller. imagine an additional in game camera the changes the perspective when you move the controller a little bit, like you're looking into window.
squarecircle  +   1012d ago
You mean like a headtracker?
That would be cool, say if you're in like a racing game you could move the controller to look into the corners. Or if you're playing a first person shooter and you're crouched behined a wall, you could lift the controller up to peek over; or peek round corners.
kungfuian  +   1012d ago
That's exactly what I'm imagining. Here's a video of it. Based on the dev kit and controller we could see this possible in every game as default with no sacrifice to traditional control methods.

How is it people are not more excited for this! It significantly enhances your immersion in the game world and offers a very cool 3d effect with no need for 3d glasses or tv!

Even better imagine it used in tandem with 3d glasses and you have a 'holgraphic effect' which was eluded to by a sony exec more than a year ago (can't find article) :-)

danny818  +   1012d ago
There a headphone jack! No more Bluetooth?
IK IR Y IP T  +   1012d ago
this is indeed a major improvement over the last ps3 controller saddens me though the analogs are still to close to each other
squarecircle  +   1012d ago
This controller looks nearly perfect for me. I hated the D-pad on the PS3 it's not comfy at all, especially when trying to play a PS1 game that doesn't support analogue sticks.
The new mic means everyone can have a mic, so now theres no excuse for not talkng.
The touchpad has so many opportunities of use. Imagine if you could play Vita games on your PS4, using the front touchpad as the touchscreen? Or moving objects and making tracks on LBP and Modnations?
And the move sensor (if it is a move sensor) could mean abilities like you could use it as a torch while keeping the original movement with the sticks in a survival horror.
The possibilities are endless with this controller!
#20 (Edited 1012d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
DivineAssault  +   1012d ago
This thing is just a prototype so im sure its going to look much nicer in the end.. Im very curious to see what they plan to use that touch panel & move sensor for.. I hope they dont force in game gimmicks just to make use of them too.. All that stuff should be optional in the games options for people who dont want to use that stuff.. Maybe u dont "need" to use the new controller at all tho.. Dual shocks may still be an option.. I like the indentations on the analogs tho.. My thumbs slide off the current design
Obamanationn  +   1012d ago
damn i thought holding the dreamcast controller made me look like a nerd -- wait till this things lands in my bedroom
level 360  +   1012d ago
A very good conservatively styled ( prototype ). I do like that Sony has finally built a larger-sized control pad.

100% those are not speakers but a microphone.
profgerbik  +   1012d ago
Omg all these Kaz pictures and gif's are fucking killing my spleen.. That one was by far the best Kaz gif..

I can't stop laughing..
#24 (Edited 1012d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
jjb1981  +   1012d ago
I see all these controller pics but where is the system that they connect to. It can't be that far away...
Pillsbury1  +   1012d ago
I think a full color LCD would add into the cost so it will be an LCD touch that only shows a few colors and changes actions when needed. That's my bet! NEW CONSOLE LAUNCH!

Star Wars: Battlefront PC Benchmarks: A Small Show Of Force

0m ago - Kotaku: "It’s been a big year for PC gaming with plenty of blockbuster releases including GTA... | PC

Paragon – Fourth Character Revealed For Epic’s Upcoming PC Title

18m ago - Epic Games has released a new teaser trailer for its upcoming PC title, Paragon, revealing a new... | PC

The Five Must-Play Exclusives for Xbox One in 2016

Now - With the holidays quickly wrapping up in 2015, it is time to look to the future. 2016 is already shaping up to be massive for games, and both Sony... | Promoted post

Ultimaximum Overdrive Podcast Ep. 11- Louis Is The MLG Dorito Lord

24m ago - On this week's episode of the Ultimaximum Overdrive Podcast the guys discuss what they did this w... | PC

Following Dogmeat home: a tale of ghouls, walking & burning fur

24m ago - GR: "Send a companion away in Fallout 4 and they don’t magically reappear at home. No, they wa... | PC

Monster Hunter X 42 Pages Long Feature To Come In Next Issue Of Famitsu

37m ago - A huge Monster Hunter X features is going to be published on the next issue of Famitsu coming on... | 3DS