Submitted by TheSuperior 1016d ago | opinion piece

The PS4 Doesn’t Need to Compete with the Next-Gen Kinect

Over the years major companies like Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony have been bending over backwards to get gamers attention. Nintnedo displayed their Wii console with the gimmick of all gimmicks, mothion controls. It wasn’t long until both Microsoft and Sony caught wind of Nintendo’s gravy trail and they produced the Kinect and Move. The only one of these so call gimmicks that really ended up standing out was Xbox 360’s Kinect. While the Wii was based solely off of getting players to swing their arm around the room, the PS Move was basically the same thing just with a camera facing the players. While all of these things can be considered a fail in the mind of a hardcore gamer the least thing that gamers want to hear while the rumors of the next-gen console battle emerges is more about Kinect like features. (PS4, Xbox One)

TheSuperior  +   1017d ago
I dont care if they are looking at my eye, body, finger or toe; i still wouldnt by a next-gen console if their main focus was motion game play.
#1 (Edited 1017d ago ) | Agree(18) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
killcycle  +   1016d ago
Personally i would like to see a new Playstation Eye with better camera quality.

not only would this be cool but it will help the Playstation Move be more accurate because it would be able to track it better.

Apart from that i don't care, i don't want junky hardware. I would like continued support for the Move to be used in newer FPS & TPS games though.

Playing Killzone 3 online with the Move is sick.
Dylila  +   1016d ago
a more accurate ps eye camera with the ability to see in very low light conditions in hd would be amazing. the ps eye is not a cheap gimmick that was forced in games where it wasnt needed. the ps move is a 1:1 motion device which is very accurate and doesnt fail and is as reliable in motion as a ds3 buttons being pressed.

the kinect device is very delayed and often inaccurate and wiimote requires wiimotion plus for better response but still isnt as good and accurate like ps move
b163o1  +   1016d ago
The fact that the NextBox has kinect built in, and will be watching you whenever it's on is a bit frightening IMO. Who knows who's on the other side spying on you, watching you and seeing what you do went ever you feel alone. I'll pass, at lease with the PS I'll have the opinion……of getting spied on lol
showtimefolks  +   1016d ago
no it doesn't, what ps4 needs is what ps3 delivered in last 3-5 years and thats awesome software support.

give us games
give us more games
improve PSN store front
add cross game chat
games can do 60FPS with full 1080P

buy ready at dawn studios
by QD after beyond 2 souls
buy the studio that worked on SLY4

after Fuse insomniac will come back to sony, not wishing that Fuse fails but the more they show the game the less interested i become. Insomniac make quality games and i hope Fuse turns out to be amazing. but it doesn't look that way now. so if Fuse fails could this be the turning point for insomniac and they give into sony's wishes to buy them?

you can give a system all the multi-media features but what matters most are games, and that's where i believe MS has failed us most since the launch of kinect. Before than they were releasing quality titles but after they saw how well wii did with casual gamers in a way they totally forgot about their core fanbase. but now they will make those claims again of how they are for gamers
joab777  +   1016d ago
Great post...now i dont have to say much. I think they can go a much different way. They need to create a psn app that allows u to access alot mobile wise. Incentivize creators to make apps for games that give in game rewards. Buy a company that will make games for mobile devices. Also, u can launch an knline magazine this way etc. Get ahead of the curve. U have gaikai, use it. Also, create ur own steam, sell 1st party titles digitally for less with different pre order bonuses. U r on a roll siny, di not lose momentum. U have proven that games come 1ST. Keep it up.
Psn800  +   1016d ago
Agreed !" I bought the first ever Xbox I loved it it was for hardcore-gamers , then I bought the Xbox 360 it was good and paid the £40 a year then I discovered the Ps3 and though hey they don't charge to play online and it's just has good so I'm only paying for cross-game chat .
After that I didn't pay for Xbox live gold anymore it is a rip off plain and simple , and though I still bought exclusives i noticed all these stupid apps I don't need all these apps and with the release of kinect which by the way is rubbish .
What I'm getting at I never thought when buying my first ever Xbox it would turn into a causal gamers console , though I still got all three last gen consoles I never use my Xbox I much prefer the Ps3 .
SheaHoff  +   1017d ago
I guess it all depends on the types of games you enjoy. Personally, I don't play enough motion games to consider it a factor in purchasing a "next-gen" console.
akaakaaka  +   1016d ago
hey ;)
Reportillo4  +   1015d ago
spit some game psn_arakouftaian
GribbleGrunger  +   1017d ago
But Sony won't be competing with Kinect. On the PS2 they had Eyetoy. On the PS3 they had PSEye. And on the PS4 they will have PSEye2 ... Anyone spot a pattern or has the mist completely clouded the past for you? Of course the difference is that Microsoft are a software company and so bought in the tech, whilst Sony is a hardware company and build their own ... but still that mist persists ... A vague recollection of a 'vision camera' that was a copy of the Eyetoy ... but alas the image fades ... Would MS copy Sony's camera again? 'Noooo...' a voice echoes from the void, 'You can play games without a controller on this tech. It's not a copy.'

... and fade back to reality.
#3 (Edited 1017d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(10) | Report | Reply
nukeitall  +   1016d ago
Competition has nothing to do with with who came up with what first?

It's not a first games, nor a copy game. It is who can eat my lunch, and Sony very much competes with Kinect.

The fact that Sony "might" have it prior (ignoring webcams do not exist on PC way prior), just illustrates Sony's weakness. Unable to be innovative and see the value in the technology to consumers.

So, it is pointless to start discussing who copies who (like PSN copying XBL), because everybody does it, and it would be idiotic not too.

"'You can play games without a controller on this tech. It's not a copy.'"

That said, even before Sony there was Sega with similar technology with the Sega Activator trying to do the same thing ( http://www.giantbomb.com/se... ). Reality is consumers want this, and MS delivered where nobody else did. Sony is likely to copy this success after thinking it would be a $150 failure further illustrates my point.

Sony has been unable to innovate this generation, and has been running on their brand name. The Playstation 2 monopoly saved them, not the PS3. It was the disaster.

However, I think Sony might be more prepared this time with the PS4 and hopefully learned a few good lessons by integrating that camera.
#3.1 (Edited 1016d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
zebramocha  +   1016d ago
Sony wasn't in the gaming space when sega launched the activator and the dream eye was not meant for games when it was unveiled,your entire post doesn't make sense.
GalacticEmpire  +   1017d ago
"The PS4 Doesn’t Need to Compete with the Next-Gen Kinect"

The less it tries, the better it will be.
The_Infected  +   1017d ago
The PS4 don't need to compete with crap in the first place!
NastyLeftHook0  +   1016d ago
VforVideogames  +   1016d ago
they being doin it for the last 7 years
THESHAUNZY  +   1016d ago
I wish game companies would focus on gaming and not gimmicky bullsssshiiii
Soldierone  +   1016d ago
It doesn't. I have plenty of Move games, but the fact is at the end of the day I want to sit down and play a game. Not sit in an upright position or stand waving my hands around. Move is awesome when you want to use it, but I don't want it to be mandatory for 9 out of 10 games....
Williamson  +   1016d ago
I don't care if Sony continues on with the Ps eye and move as long as they don't focus on the casuals more then the core gamers.
Bathyj  +   1016d ago
...in fact, please dont.

We need one console still focusing on the gamers.

MS hasnt concentrated on Gamers for years.
Theyre pretty much just treading water until XB3 so they can drop the 360 altogether.
#9 (Edited 1016d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
VforVideogames  +   1016d ago
well that console will be the XBOXNEXT
smashcrashbash  +   1016d ago
Okay first of all since when has Sony ever favored gimmicks over gaming? Second of all Sony is upgrading THEIR camera, something that existed long before Kinect did.If Sony decides to upgrade the PSEYE is is theirs to upgrade.Sony had the camera motion idea on a console before Microsoft even decided to try their hand at it.And Sony never said anything about focusing on the EYE.The EYE is an accessory like anything else will be. I doubt very much they will advertise it as a new way to play and better then a controller like Microsoft said. I mean I am still waiting to see how Kinect is better then a controller. Even if you can use the EYE in games I am certain they won't make it mandatory.
#10 (Edited 1016d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
VforVideogames  +   1016d ago
Have you tried the kinect? you are the controller.
Nicaragua  +   1016d ago
I've tried Kinect and in no way did i feel like the controller.
Megaton  +   1016d ago
Stop with the cameras, everybody. STOP IT!
WeAreLegion  +   1016d ago
I would love to see Move support continue with the PS4. Just keep doing what you're doing. Don't push it on developers...but give them the option. Also, make sure there are some great developers working with Move. I loved Wonderbook! I can't wait to see more titles for it! :)
arbitor365  +   1016d ago
it sort of worries me that the PS4 is rumored to do more with the cameras or even come packaged with them. this motion control fad is over, people. and the tablet gamepad fad was dead before it even started. just focus on making good, hardcore games
#13 (Edited 1016d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
clintagious650  +   1016d ago
I find it funny that these articles even mention sony in this like they have been LACKING in new IP's because of the PSEye.
1. Sony has been doing this since the PS2 era with the Eyetoy. They didnt just create the PSEye because they wanted to, they been there & done that. Yes they added the dildo to counter the wii controller but atleast it was more precise & accurate then the wiimote.
2. Even though sony has been supporting the PSEye & PS Move they did the most IMPORTANT thing we all have come to love about ALL PS CONSOLES & that is bringing us GAMES. They NEVER FORGOT about their CORE BASE that stuck with them.
This is why I will ALWAYS own the next playstation is for the simple FACT, sony ALWAYS "DELIVERS" what us gamers all care most about & thats NEW GAMES. FACT.
VonBraunschweigg  +   1016d ago
True, I didn't buy Move and never felt I had to, the main focus was and still is core games, games for controllers. I sold my 360 last year because of the focus on Kinect, I've seen Gears by now.

Besides that, Move can still be used for hardcore games like online shooters, like MAG or KillZone. Some of my PSN friends say their game improved after first going through a learning period, they don't want to go back.
With Kinect it's not possible to play a shooter. They've tried to make it work, but it doesn't. It allows different types of control, some even fun but always casual, gimmickly, on-rails stuff. Perhaps nice for the girlfriend of a hardcore gamer, but not the hardcore gamer himself. Or herself.
edonus   1016d ago | Spam
DiRtY  +   1016d ago
The PS4 need something to attract casual gamers. If you think they don't, you are wrong.

I am glad they improve Kinect and I am a hardcore gamer. Heck, I even read gaming related novels for Halo and Gears of War. But guess what, my girlfriend did not. She prefers playing Dance Central or Kinect Sports when friends are over and so do I.

I don't think that supporting Kinect means not supporting core games. It is all about the balance. I actually want my console to give me the total package and a good mix of motion / casual games, core games and multimedia functionality and MS did this pretty well last gen.

I see a lot of PS fans claiming Sony did oh so well with their 1st party support, but reality is different. Look at the past year and the games they released. Twisted Metal, Starhawk, LBP Karting and PSABR was their retail lineup + Journey on PSN. Could you please tell me what was so great about that lineup. All retail games flopped. Big time.

Sony closed BigBig, Zipper and Liverpool already. They kicked the PSABR developers out, because the game flopped so badly. This studio is dead now. And Thatgamecompany did not extend the contract with Sony and will make games for XBLA from this point on. All this happened in the past 18 months.

MS on the other hand bought Twisted Pixel, opened Balck Tusk Studio, opened Lift London, opened MS LA Studios, opened MS Redmond, opened 343 industries, bought BigPark games and opened MS Victoria. They hired some of the best talent in this industry (Valve, Crytek, Naughty Dog, iD, EA Vancouver, Irrational Games, Sucker Punch etc)

Next gen won't be easier for Sony when it comes to core games. They need the casuals to sell their console. I am not saying they will focus only on casuals like Nintendo did with the Wii, but they need them along the core gamers.
VonBraunschweigg  +   1016d ago
Yes, MS recently opened a studio at Santa Monica, California. 150 people are going to create "content for xBox Live Subscribers" according to an article here yesterday.

But if you think they will make games I'm afraid you will be disappointed. They will make content like interactive advertising where you can wave at commercials, wave correct and you'll get a discount on their next DLC for their next Kinect app, stuff like that.

We don't want that, we want games, and to hell with what our girfriends want. They can buy their own stuff.
#16.1 (Edited 1016d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
DiRtY  +   1016d ago

So you think the 150 developers will do ads? Really?

And what are the producers of BioShock, the developers from Naughty Dog, and the lead desginer from Crysis 2 working on? Do you think they joined MS to create ads?
VonBraunschweigg  +   1016d ago
I meant newsarticles like this

n4g.com/news/1172732/microsof t-has-150-people-in-santa-moni c a-creating-content-for-its-46- m illion-xbox-live-subscribers

It doesn't read games. The new xBox is all about media, apps, Kinect, services, content...subscription based. I would like to hear about the bigbudget triple A hardcore games they are working on, and the more I read about the casual stuff, the more I'm afraid the core stuff is getting left behind.

edit: I thought I posted the link. It's from yesterday, see the 720 section.
#16.1.2 (Edited 1016d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(4) | Report
MrBeatdown  +   1016d ago
"I see a lot of PS fans claiming Sony did oh so well with their 1st party support, but reality is different."

Unfortunately for your argument, reality includes a packed 2011 line-up, and an already impressive 2013 line-up. Never mind what it will look like after February 20.

But you keep on pretending everyone else is wrong for realizing that.
NewZealander  +   1016d ago
I will not play games with motion play, if Sony and Microsoft make games that rely on this then i won't buy either of there consoles, give me hard core game with a hand controller with next gen graphics and I'm happy. if they make you play with move and kinect then I'm out.
Jdoki  +   1016d ago
Sony does not need to compete with Kinect - but they do need an upgraded PS Eye.

The resolution was too low on the current camera, and it didn't do so well in low light. This made playing stuff like The Eye of Judgement tricky at times.

I anticipate at least a bump to a single 720p camera, or maybe dual 720p cameras, and that it will retain the mic.
tigertron  +   1016d ago
I think Sony got it spot on with the PS3, unlike Nintendo with the Wii. Move was mainly optional, hardly any of its games needed it, and this is where I think Nintendo went wrong. I just want a normal - conventional controller where I can sit and play and not wave my arm around.

Fortunately with Move, it was implemented well and I didn't have to use it if I didn't want to. I hope Kinect isn't a necessity for the next Xbox...
Tzuno  +   1016d ago
oh but they will cuz' this is the human nature.
legend0f117  +   1016d ago
Quality over quantity. That's where Microsoft has Sony beat.
nigelp520  +   1013d ago

Can Japanese games rule again in the West?

14m ago - Name a hit games franchise from the 1980s or ‘90s and it’s bound to be a Japanese creation: Mario... | Industry

Clockup’s Horror Nukige Euphoria Has Been Released

15m ago - Originally released by eroge producer ClockUp in June of 2011 in Japan, euphoria is highly succes... | PC

HotLiked - What the Internet is talking about right now

Now - Kill some time at HotLiked.com. You will regret it... | Promoted post

Best CPUs for Gaming 2015 – Black Friday Guide to Sales

29m ago - GamersNexus: "This guide rounds-up the best gaming CPUs on sale for Black Friday, ranging from $7... | PC

Rocksmith 2014 & Cable for PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PC $34.99

44m ago - Amazon offers Prime members Rocksmith 2014 Edition with Real Tone Cable for PlayStation 4, Xbox O... | PC

Naruto Storm 4 Scan Details The Upcoming Demo

48m ago - Weekly Shonen Jump is finally here and although at first glance it seems like an old scan; the sc... | PS4