Submitted by Gekko 896d ago | opinion piece

Enjoyed Ni no Kuni? Here Are the Games You Might Want to Play Next

Organization ASG: ''Studio Ghibli has always been a fantastic entry point for people getting into anime, and with last month’s PS3 release of Ni no Kuni (in the West, at least) the powerhouse has now broken into the gaming market with no small amount of success.

The extraordinary praise poured on Ni no Kuni is totally deserved. It’s a fantastic game and if you haven’t already tried it, you’re sorely missing out – but rather than give the Internet yet another glowing review of the game (there’s enough out there already), we’re going to take a look at where new fans to the genre can go next once they reach the end of their Ni no Kuni adventure.'' (3DS, Dragon Quest IX, Final Fantasy VII, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Nintendo DS, PS3, Wii, Xenoblade Chronicles)

showtimefolks  +   896d ago
this game restored my faith in quality of games, such a great game and i hope it gets the high sales it deserves

must play for all RPG fans

epic/emotional story
epic huge open world
great innovative combat system

a must have period
#1 (Edited 896d ago ) | Agree(22) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
DigitalSmoke  +   896d ago
Good way to put it, i agree 100%.
abzdine  +   896d ago
i started it yesterday i cant wait to go back home put my hands on it again. normally RPGs are kinda boring in the beginning but the story and intensity in Ni No Kuni is amazing in the beginning and those graphics left me speachless. A definite must buy for everyone who likes games.
ShugaCane  +   896d ago
You should check out Dark Chronicles if you haven't yet. It's in my top 10 RPGs of all time and of course it's from Level 5. Those guys know how to make games.
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   896d ago
Lol at all of the fanboy trolls disagreeing with everyone, they must be so mad they will never get to play Ni No Kuni.
Anyway yes Dark Chronicle was an amazing game and one of my favorite RPGs too, I also loved Dark Cloud.
Hopefully Level 5 will make a 3rd game someday.
For me though my favorite RPG ever is FFIX and Ni No Kuni had a little bit of that FFIX feeling in it.
#2.1 (Edited 896d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Chrono  +   896d ago
IMO, it's the second best recent JRPG after Dragon Quest IX.
Donnieboi  +   895d ago
So, u never played Persona 4 huh?
Chrono  +   895d ago
I have but I don't think it's recent, besides it's not better.
Relientk77  +   896d ago
I would definitely recommend Xenoblade Chronicles and Tales of Graces f from this generation, fantastic games
LightofDarkness  +   896d ago
These are the two best of the generation, IMO. Ni No Kuni wasn't as great as I'd hoped, but it still ranks just behind those two.

Hopefully, Xillia will be another great addition to the series and rival Graces for a spot at the top.
animegamingnerd  +   896d ago
i rented tales of graces f from gamefly last month just beat the lineage and legacies arc on sunday and i loved it so yesterday i decided to buy the copy i rented from gamefly and oh yeah also xneoblade is amazing as well also check out the last story if you haven't it is just as good as graces f and xneoblade
#4.2 (Edited 896d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
chrispseuphoria  +   896d ago
Forget Dragon Quest IX, VIII was so much better. IX has no story, personality or in depth characters. VIII has a beautiful world, wonderful characters and a fantastic story!

Tales of Graces f and the upcoming Tales of Xillia are games I'd recommend as well! If you feel experimental, try out Nier.
#5 (Edited 896d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
animegamingnerd  +   896d ago
after playing graces f i can't wait for xilia that is a game that i am getting day 1 and hopefully in 2014 we get xilia 2
GribbleGrunger  +   896d ago
Surely a prerequisite of an article like this is that the alternatives should be on the same console? This feels more like 'If you liked this game then buy another console'.
#6 (Edited 896d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
RuperttheBear  +   896d ago
A lot of gamers have more than one console Gribble. Some gamers, and brace yourself for this, even have more than two! It's shocking I know.
Perjoss  +   896d ago
Great list, but personally i would add Lost Odyssey on there too.
camel_toad  +   896d ago
I dumped over 100 hrs into Lost Odyssey. It's one that no rpg fan should miss.
#7.1 (Edited 896d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
AznGaara  +   896d ago
I'm definitely going back to finally play Valkyria Chronicles after I beat Ni no Kuni.
CLOUD1983  +   896d ago
Also must play game of this generation for JRPG fans I can recommend is Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn on Wii, amazing game with amazing story & amazing characters & the battle system was very addictive to me, any1 who own a Wii must try it!
abzdine  +   896d ago
Where is FF13?

*inside joke*
ApolloTheBoss  +   896d ago
I am now a JRPG fanatic because of this game. Star Ocean TLH and NIER are next on my list.
#11 (Edited 896d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SolDojo  +   895d ago
Welcome to the club :) Though the genre has taken some rough showings (FFXIII series hurt JRPGs badly), flashy graphics and cutscenes were never what made JRPGs good anyways.

Emotional attachment to charachters and well balanced battle systems are the heart of a good JRPG, and I beleive NNK is an excellent example of doing something right without over thinking it (take a listen Square Enix) ...

Pretty hopeful for Lightning Returns, with its "open world".

What did a little bird tell us about Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star? [Pixel Dynamo]

10m ago - Luke Borrett, producer of Mediatonic's Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star sat down with us to share... | PC

Latest Arkham Knight Mod Let’s You Create Your Own Character To Play With

3h ago - ASidCAst: "Well Batman Arkham Knight just got a whole lot interesting on PC no thanks to Rockstea... | PC

Warhammer: Arcane Magic Comes to iOS

Now - Test your tactics against legendary foes! | Promoted post

Magnetic: Cage Closed – Review | GamingLives

3h ago - GamingLives takes a look at Guru Games' magnetic puzzler. "It would be easy to take one look a... | PC

Super Mario RPG Launching On The Japanese Wii U eShop Next Week

3h ago - The classic Super NES role playing game Super Mario RPG will be released next week on the Japanes... | Wii U

Fnatic Has The First Perfect Regular LCS Season

3h ago - This year for the first time ever, one team accomplished the dream of ending the season with a pe... | PC