Submitted by Gekko 772d ago | opinion piece

Enjoyed Ni no Kuni? Here Are the Games You Might Want to Play Next

Organization ASG: ''Studio Ghibli has always been a fantastic entry point for people getting into anime, and with last month’s PS3 release of Ni no Kuni (in the West, at least) the powerhouse has now broken into the gaming market with no small amount of success.

The extraordinary praise poured on Ni no Kuni is totally deserved. It’s a fantastic game and if you haven’t already tried it, you’re sorely missing out – but rather than give the Internet yet another glowing review of the game (there’s enough out there already), we’re going to take a look at where new fans to the genre can go next once they reach the end of their Ni no Kuni adventure.'' (3DS, Dragon Quest IX, Final Fantasy VII, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Nintendo DS, PS3, Wii, Xenoblade Chronicles)

showtimefolks  +   772d ago
this game restored my faith in quality of games, such a great game and i hope it gets the high sales it deserves

must play for all RPG fans

epic/emotional story
epic huge open world
great innovative combat system

a must have period
#1 (Edited 772d ago ) | Agree(22) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
DigitalSmoke  +   772d ago
Good way to put it, i agree 100%.
abzdine  +   772d ago
i started it yesterday i cant wait to go back home put my hands on it again. normally RPGs are kinda boring in the beginning but the story and intensity in Ni No Kuni is amazing in the beginning and those graphics left me speachless. A definite must buy for everyone who likes games.
ShugaCane  +   772d ago
You should check out Dark Chronicles if you haven't yet. It's in my top 10 RPGs of all time and of course it's from Level 5. Those guys know how to make games.
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   772d ago
Lol at all of the fanboy trolls disagreeing with everyone, they must be so mad they will never get to play Ni No Kuni.
Anyway yes Dark Chronicle was an amazing game and one of my favorite RPGs too, I also loved Dark Cloud.
Hopefully Level 5 will make a 3rd game someday.
For me though my favorite RPG ever is FFIX and Ni No Kuni had a little bit of that FFIX feeling in it.
#2.1 (Edited 772d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Chrono  +   772d ago
IMO, it's the second best recent JRPG after Dragon Quest IX.
Donnieboi  +   771d ago
So, u never played Persona 4 huh?
Chrono  +   771d ago
I have but I don't think it's recent, besides it's not better.
Relientk77  +   772d ago
I would definitely recommend Xenoblade Chronicles and Tales of Graces f from this generation, fantastic games
LightofDarkness  +   772d ago
These are the two best of the generation, IMO. Ni No Kuni wasn't as great as I'd hoped, but it still ranks just behind those two.

Hopefully, Xillia will be another great addition to the series and rival Graces for a spot at the top.
animegamingnerd  +   772d ago
i rented tales of graces f from gamefly last month just beat the lineage and legacies arc on sunday and i loved it so yesterday i decided to buy the copy i rented from gamefly and oh yeah also xneoblade is amazing as well also check out the last story if you haven't it is just as good as graces f and xneoblade
#4.2 (Edited 772d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
chrispseuphoria  +   772d ago
Forget Dragon Quest IX, VIII was so much better. IX has no story, personality or in depth characters. VIII has a beautiful world, wonderful characters and a fantastic story!

Tales of Graces f and the upcoming Tales of Xillia are games I'd recommend as well! If you feel experimental, try out Nier.
#5 (Edited 772d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
animegamingnerd  +   772d ago
after playing graces f i can't wait for xilia that is a game that i am getting day 1 and hopefully in 2014 we get xilia 2
GribbleGrunger  +   772d ago
Surely a prerequisite of an article like this is that the alternatives should be on the same console? This feels more like 'If you liked this game then buy another console'.
#6 (Edited 772d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
RuperttheBear  +   772d ago
A lot of gamers have more than one console Gribble. Some gamers, and brace yourself for this, even have more than two! It's shocking I know.
Perjoss  +   772d ago
Great list, but personally i would add Lost Odyssey on there too.
camel_toad  +   772d ago
I dumped over 100 hrs into Lost Odyssey. It's one that no rpg fan should miss.
#7.1 (Edited 772d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
AznGaara  +   772d ago
I'm definitely going back to finally play Valkyria Chronicles after I beat Ni no Kuni.
CLOUD1983  +   772d ago
Also must play game of this generation for JRPG fans I can recommend is Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn on Wii, amazing game with amazing story & amazing characters & the battle system was very addictive to me, any1 who own a Wii must try it!
abzdine  +   772d ago
Where is FF13?

*inside joke*
ApolloTheBoss  +   772d ago
I am now a JRPG fanatic because of this game. Star Ocean TLH and NIER are next on my list.
#11 (Edited 772d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SolDojo  +   771d ago
Welcome to the club :) Though the genre has taken some rough showings (FFXIII series hurt JRPGs badly), flashy graphics and cutscenes were never what made JRPGs good anyways.

Emotional attachment to charachters and well balanced battle systems are the heart of a good JRPG, and I beleive NNK is an excellent example of doing something right without over thinking it (take a listen Square Enix) ...

Pretty hopeful for Lightning Returns, with its "open world".

How to Get to Cainhurst Castle in Bloodborne

41m ago - A giant castle frozen in ice, Cainhurst Castle is quite the beautiful site to behold in Bloodborn... | PS4

Bloodborne Guide: Best Farming Spots for Blood Echoes, Blood Vials and Easy Level Up

42m ago - GearNuke: "From Software’s Bloodborne is notorious for its difficulty. If you want a much easier... | PS4

See what games are coming out in 2015

Now - Visit our release calendar to see what games are coming out in 2015. | Promoted post

Project CARS: Time-lapse Weather System Video

42m ago - Project CARS’ weather system is one of the main attractions of the game in my opinion. This vi... | PC

11 Great Looking Indie Games Coming in 2015 and Beyond

42m ago - These days if you want to find the most innovative ideas in games, you have to look to independen... | Culture

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 | AUTOMATON Review

43m ago - AUTOMATON's Charles Battersby takes on the latest iteration of Capcom's long-running survival-hor... | PC