Submitted by Gekko 932d ago | opinion piece

Enjoyed Ni no Kuni? Here Are the Games You Might Want to Play Next

Organization ASG: ''Studio Ghibli has always been a fantastic entry point for people getting into anime, and with last month’s PS3 release of Ni no Kuni (in the West, at least) the powerhouse has now broken into the gaming market with no small amount of success.

The extraordinary praise poured on Ni no Kuni is totally deserved. It’s a fantastic game and if you haven’t already tried it, you’re sorely missing out – but rather than give the Internet yet another glowing review of the game (there’s enough out there already), we’re going to take a look at where new fans to the genre can go next once they reach the end of their Ni no Kuni adventure.'' (3DS, Dragon Quest IX, Final Fantasy VII, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Nintendo DS, PS3, Wii, Xenoblade Chronicles)

showtimefolks  +   932d ago
this game restored my faith in quality of games, such a great game and i hope it gets the high sales it deserves

must play for all RPG fans

epic/emotional story
epic huge open world
great innovative combat system

a must have period
#1 (Edited 932d ago ) | Agree(22) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
DigitalSmoke  +   932d ago
Good way to put it, i agree 100%.
abzdine  +   932d ago
i started it yesterday i cant wait to go back home put my hands on it again. normally RPGs are kinda boring in the beginning but the story and intensity in Ni No Kuni is amazing in the beginning and those graphics left me speachless. A definite must buy for everyone who likes games.
ShugaCane  +   932d ago
You should check out Dark Chronicles if you haven't yet. It's in my top 10 RPGs of all time and of course it's from Level 5. Those guys know how to make games.
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   932d ago
Lol at all of the fanboy trolls disagreeing with everyone, they must be so mad they will never get to play Ni No Kuni.
Anyway yes Dark Chronicle was an amazing game and one of my favorite RPGs too, I also loved Dark Cloud.
Hopefully Level 5 will make a 3rd game someday.
For me though my favorite RPG ever is FFIX and Ni No Kuni had a little bit of that FFIX feeling in it.
#2.1 (Edited 932d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Chrono  +   932d ago
IMO, it's the second best recent JRPG after Dragon Quest IX.
Donnieboi  +   932d ago
So, u never played Persona 4 huh?
Chrono  +   932d ago
I have but I don't think it's recent, besides it's not better.
Relientk77  +   932d ago
I would definitely recommend Xenoblade Chronicles and Tales of Graces f from this generation, fantastic games
LightofDarkness  +   932d ago
These are the two best of the generation, IMO. Ni No Kuni wasn't as great as I'd hoped, but it still ranks just behind those two.

Hopefully, Xillia will be another great addition to the series and rival Graces for a spot at the top.
animegamingnerd  +   932d ago
i rented tales of graces f from gamefly last month just beat the lineage and legacies arc on sunday and i loved it so yesterday i decided to buy the copy i rented from gamefly and oh yeah also xneoblade is amazing as well also check out the last story if you haven't it is just as good as graces f and xneoblade
#4.2 (Edited 932d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
chrispseuphoria  +   932d ago
Forget Dragon Quest IX, VIII was so much better. IX has no story, personality or in depth characters. VIII has a beautiful world, wonderful characters and a fantastic story!

Tales of Graces f and the upcoming Tales of Xillia are games I'd recommend as well! If you feel experimental, try out Nier.
#5 (Edited 932d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
animegamingnerd  +   932d ago
after playing graces f i can't wait for xilia that is a game that i am getting day 1 and hopefully in 2014 we get xilia 2
GribbleGrunger  +   932d ago
Surely a prerequisite of an article like this is that the alternatives should be on the same console? This feels more like 'If you liked this game then buy another console'.
#6 (Edited 932d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
RuperttheBear  +   932d ago
A lot of gamers have more than one console Gribble. Some gamers, and brace yourself for this, even have more than two! It's shocking I know.
Perjoss  +   932d ago
Great list, but personally i would add Lost Odyssey on there too.
camel_toad  +   932d ago
I dumped over 100 hrs into Lost Odyssey. It's one that no rpg fan should miss.
#7.1 (Edited 932d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
AznGaara  +   932d ago
I'm definitely going back to finally play Valkyria Chronicles after I beat Ni no Kuni.
CLOUD1983  +   932d ago
Also must play game of this generation for JRPG fans I can recommend is Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn on Wii, amazing game with amazing story & amazing characters & the battle system was very addictive to me, any1 who own a Wii must try it!
abzdine  +   932d ago
Where is FF13?

*inside joke*
ApolloTheBoss  +   932d ago
I am now a JRPG fanatic because of this game. Star Ocean TLH and NIER are next on my list.
#11 (Edited 932d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SolDojo  +   932d ago
Welcome to the club :) Though the genre has taken some rough showings (FFXIII series hurt JRPGs badly), flashy graphics and cutscenes were never what made JRPGs good anyways.

Emotional attachment to charachters and well balanced battle systems are the heart of a good JRPG, and I beleive NNK is an excellent example of doing something right without over thinking it (take a listen Square Enix) ...

Pretty hopeful for Lightning Returns, with its "open world".

Minecraft: Story Mode Interview With Dennis Lenart – Pax Prime 2015

18m ago - New Gamer Nation stepped into the giant cavern that was the Minecraft: Story Mode booth and sat d... | PC

Thorgrim Grudgebearer introduces the Dwarfs of Total War: Warhammer

47m ago - A full cinematic trailer introduces the Dwarfs of Total War: Warhammer. Narration by Thorgrim Gru... | PC

Top 5 Games To Play in September

Now - August was a great month with many good games. Let's see if this month's game releases can deliver the same amount of excitement... | Promoted post

Rock Band 4: Full Band Gameplay Video

1h ago - Skewed and Reviewed have posted video of their session on Rock Band 4 from PAX Prime. Two members... | PS4

Quick Tips - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

1h ago - In the latest episode of PlayStation LifeStyle's Quick Tips video series, we take the hottest gam... | PC

The Resurgence of FMV Games

1h ago - Nerdopotamus.com - Our writer, Irfan Hanjra, delves into the resurgence of FMV (Full Motion Video... | Industry