Submitted by CGMagazine 535d ago | opinion piece

Sony should (but won’t) make the PS4 backwards compatible

An editorial about the lack of backwards compatibility transitioning to the next generation compared to the transition for the current one. (PS3, PS4, Sony)

NastyLeftHook0  +   535d ago
100% of these articles are false information until i see what's up feb 20.
buddymagoo  +   535d ago
I'm prepared for the announcement that it won't be, then if it is, it will be a mega bonus.

If I expected it to be backwards compatible and it isn't I would be devastated.
Conzul  +   535d ago
Same here!
LOOK_AT_THIS_I  +   535d ago
Here's the solution for this. If they switch up the cell for another type of system and it wont/cant be added to allow for ps3 game play then this is where the Gaikai service comes in.

They have the ability to track the game in the console possibly with the "used game patent" way to determine a legit copy. This allows the person to put the ps3 game in the ps4, the system scans for legit copy and allows streaming access through Gaikai.

I dont know how it would work with digital/psn games but a similar method could be utilized to ensure backwards compatibility with next gen and not have to keep two consoles out side by side. (Just a thought)
007Bond  +   535d ago
Both PS4 and 720 better have backwards or it will suck bigtime!
cannon8800  +   535d ago
I think it's going to be backwards compatible. I Think that they are going to make two different models of ps4. One with the amd apu/dedicated gpu and another with the amd apu/dedicated gpu and cell broadband engine. It's nothing out of the ordinary if you think about it. Emotion engine was in the ps3 before and then it was removed. Maybe the same thing will happen once they see that not many people are buying the backwards compatible version because it would be more expensive, but this is my opinion.
#1.1.4 (Edited 535d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report
smashcrashbash  +   535d ago
Wait.How are 100% of the articles false information when you don't know how much truth there are to them? Several articles state that they have sources that informed them of these things but you have no sources at all so how can you be sure they are 100% false? .
#1.2 (Edited 535d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
FragGen  +   535d ago
Agreed. But to be honest, since they are switching to an intel based architecture, I would be willing to bet a fairly significant sum that it will not be backwards compatible (at the H/W level, anyway, barring some tech like streaming old games) since the PS3 will have an entirely different CPU architecture from the PS4.

It probably isn't worth the cost given the technical barrier and the value (to Sony in terms of sales) of the backwards compatibility. They traveled that road on the PS3 original launch and abandoned it, so I'm guessing they won't even consider it this go around since it will be expensive.
#1.3 (Edited 535d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Conzul  +   535d ago
Um....Intel? I thought it was AMD.
Conzul  +   535d ago
Um....Intel? I thought it would be AMD....
Muerte2494  +   535d ago
My view is..
At the launch of a new system, you definitely need backwards compatibility. Even with the Wii U extensive launch lineup, the games for the system are feeling long in between one another. Wii U's launch window was considered to be one of the best. Once the new platform's library is substantial enough to stand on it's own, then and only then, should backward compatibility be debatable(it should still remain optional). Backwards compatibility was actually a really big selling feature for the PS2. It was something that Sony's competitors couldn't replicate.
#1.4 (Edited 535d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
THC CELL  +   535d ago
I say make it optional id pay extra
SandWitch  +   535d ago
Yeah, a separate SKU with B/C would be nice
bakagaijin78  +   535d ago
I was about to post this very thing. Sony should make B/C an option and charge more for it. Then make a cheaper SKU for those who don't care about B/C.
dgonza40  +   535d ago
That's brilliant for the hardcore, but it's confusing to the general public.. With a bunch of different SKUs for just the amount of storage it would have, having seperate SKUs in the mix makes it harder to inform the consumer on what would be the right SKU for them.

I'm definitely for it, but I know why Sony wouldn't do it.
bakagaijin78  +   535d ago
But then in cases like this wouldn't the general public just go for the cheaper version if they don't know any better? No harm, no foul.

I understand what you mean, but consider that there are tons of products out there with multiple SKUs based on what they provide (iPhones and iPads come to mind) and the general public seems to make their purchasing decisions just fine.

Seriously though, I bought a launch PS3 with B/C and loved it. It died last year and I was disappointed that I couldn't replace it. Instead I bought a new PS3 AND a PS2... but its just not the same. I would have paid more if I could have bought a PS3 that would play my PS2 games simply for the space-saving and convenience.
#2.3.1 (Edited 535d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(0) | Report
azshorty2003  +   535d ago
And how does the public sort it out now ow many versions of the Ps3 there are/have been? They figure it out, or ask someone.

They managed to figure it out with the Premium vs Arcade edition of the 360, same for the 60GB vs 20GB during launch, and even with the regular vs Deluxe WiiU. Previous situations point to the public buying the MORE Expensive models.

This would be the same situation. The public isn't always as stupid/uneducated as we like to think.
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   535d ago
Maybe it could be part of the PS plus scheme? if it crosses over to the PS4 that is.
Donnieboi  +   535d ago
I don't understand. What do u mean (please)?
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   535d ago
If you sign up with playstation plus on the PS4 you get backwards compatibility with PS3 games.
Would be a nice perk for Plus subscribers.
Lvl_up_gamer  +   535d ago
I think that PS+ will be combined with gaikai. It will be around $50 a year and on top of all the content you currently get with PS+ you will also get all the PS1 PS2 and PS3 titles giving Sony and the PS4 the largest library of games next gen and in history on a single console.

The downside is that you are paying for PS3 games again through a paid online subscription.
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   535d ago
Yeah I could probably see that happening.
Especially with the Gaikai part.
All will be revealed at E3 2013 :)
FragGen  +   535d ago
I'll probably just keep my two PS3s and add the PS4 to the mix. All my TVs have more than 1 HDMI input. LOL.
GribbleGrunger  +   535d ago
The only reason Sony wouldn't offer BC is because they're still selling the PS3. It's not something I like, but I can see how it makes sense for Sony to do this, and anything that makes Sony money is good for me in the long run.
KrisButtar  +   535d ago
But but... They were still selling ps2's when the 60GB ps3 came out. :)
I hope they would have an option like 2 models one that was BC and one that wasn't
OpenGL  +   535d ago
Or because they're switching to an x86 platform using AMD APUs, which are nowhere near fast enough to emulate something as complex as the PS3.
FragGen  +   535d ago
EXACTLY. I really doubt the cost in terms of development and support to have some backward compatibility between two completely disparate CPU architectures, that will likely not even work well, is something Sony sees as "making sense" or, more importantly, money for that matter.
#3.2.1 (Edited 535d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
Qrphe  +   535d ago
I honestly don't care about BC. If anything, I'd say don't include so I don't have to pay for something I will not use.
cervantes99  +   535d ago
PS3 backwards compatibility would be great because this gen is HD unlike the last so the PS3 games will look fine on HD TVs.

However, the Cell would need to be included in the PS4 hardware which would raise the price and Sony would be grilled for a high price again.

I would like to see a premium SKU that includes hardware BC for $499 and a standard PS4 w/no BC for $349 - $399.

I don't want to have to stream my games when I have a hard copy sitting on my shelf. BC is only great during the first year anyway for the most part. Once I taste PS4 greatness - PS3 will seem old and clunky.
Enigma_2099  +   535d ago
Simple solution. Whatever they cut from the cost of the system by removing it... just put it back in. You can sell 10 or 20 GB systems to save some cash. We can still buy bigger HDDs to drop in there ourselves. And I'll pay the extra cash to have it.
Tyre  +   535d ago
Shit is different than last generation. We now have Trophies/Achievements. I want my Backcatalogue to be playable on the nextgen for a long time to come next to the new achievements of the nextgen games. Developers will like it too. Otherwise it will look so worthless if ur game loses it compatibility with every new generation. I want to still be able to play & get Trophies/Achievements for all my games in the future. Games are not like junk food. If u gamers don't care, ur not a real gamer or ur just a dumb junkfood consumer/or pirated all the games. I care and i want BC. The Companies will be stupid not to keep the consistency of the trophies/achievements valid. Also all my digital purchases will be worthless if i can't play them on the next gen. I will stop buying, right now.
#7 (Edited 535d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
digger18  +   535d ago
No backwards compatibility means no buy for me then, simple as that.
Donnieboi  +   535d ago
U won't be missed.
Cam977  +   535d ago
Pffft... Just wait for the inevitable "Super HD Classics" range to launch featuring PS3's best titles remastered for the PS4.
#9 (Edited 535d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
azshorty2003  +   535d ago
Thats the part that really bothers me. It was actually kind of nice to see some of my favorite titles get a boost in graphics and get a release. But it wouldn't be enough of a difference from PS3-4 to warrant another purchase. I wouldn't rebuy those games.
SephirothX21  +   535d ago
Why sacrifice extra power for backward compatibility? The PS4's architecture will likely be very different than the PS3's. The cpu will probably be quite different from the CELL because Sony will want to make it easier for developers and gpus are increasingly doing more of the work. I would guess that the PS4 will have 4gb ram, 8 core 3.2ghz cpu and a gpu with the power similar to a GTX 660. I'm thinking $500 launch price. A GTX 660 costs $350 alone but the gpu will be built into the motherboard and due to economies of scale, the price would come down quite a lot.
KwietStorm  +   535d ago
They could easily make Gaikai stream the PlayStation library for PS+ subscribers, or sell a standalone access sub for just Gaikai. They could even add a cheap $10 tier on top of the existing PS+ package for streaming, and advertise the bundle. It would give people a viable alternative for backward compatibility, and it would save Sony a boatload of money by not including the PS3 SoC onboard.
jay2  +   535d ago
God are people THAT STUPID!, they bough Gaikai so they don't have to put half a ps3 in the ps4, or build a software emulator, why do you think nearly a year after Gaikai's bought they haven't announced it? because their new hardware, which we all knows coming's not announced.
Imalwaysright  +   535d ago
So we'll be able to play every PS3 game for free?
ExPresident  +   535d ago
The irony of it all is Sony released the PS3 with BC only to have people moan and groan about the price. So they got rid of it. Now everyone wants the PS4 to release with BC.
Imalwaysright  +   535d ago
The reason why the PS3 was so expensive was because of the blu-ray drive. It had nothing to do with BC.
#13.1 (Edited 535d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
ExPresident  +   535d ago
At the time ppl complained about it. Go back and read all the news stuff. Was constant moaning. Not to mention, even if it was because of the blu-ray, there was no way Sony was not going to include that since they used the PS3 to push the format.
NameRemoved0017  +   535d ago
They should sell a PS4 that can only play PS4 games and make it cheaper than an improved version that has a PS3 inside of it + some badass lighting that cost $100 more.
a_bro  +   535d ago
Want to solve the BC issue? Just sell it as an accessory for the ps4 problem solved.
Intentions  +   535d ago
They should make it backward compatible otherwise all the games coming out this year (and other years) will not be playable on the ps4.

Eg. Last of us, why couldn't they make it release on the ps4 if there isn't going to be backward compatibility +other games.

Note, i know its still rumours and such, but they should have it backward compatible, if it isn't then keep your ps3's people :), and maybe some point later sony will add it in.
leogets  +   535d ago
why would u wana play a ps3 game on a ps4? doesnt make sence to me.just keep ya ps3 u have right now.case solved.move on.
#16.1 (Edited 535d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
TheUndertaker85  +   535d ago
I don't care much about backwards compatibility with PS4. If it happens, cool. If not I won't be bothered much. That's what my PS3 is for. I'll use my PS4 for PS4 games.
DomceM  +   535d ago
I am so tired of the stupid articles, written by stupid people, and commented on by even more stupid people.

Do us all a favor and take this test before writing an article and submitting it to this god-awful website:
1. Answer this question: Do you have any technical expertise and understanding of the technology behind PC's and consoles?
2. If your answer is "No", Shut the F*** up and spare us reading your "Article".

PS4 will not be backwards compatible. This is not something SONY can change on a whim, or because it "wants to". Games run on certain hardware and they are coded for certain hardware. Sony's new console uses AMD chips for CPU and GPU. Since this is incompatible with the cell and RSX, there will be no backwards compatability. Its f****** impossible. Get over it.

XBOX should be compatible with nextbox games on the other hand. How good that compatibility will be we'll have to see.

New architecture, vastly different hardware = no compatability.

If you cant understand, throw your computer out tonight and save us the misery of reading your articles / comments. If it was that easy PS3 would have been compatible with PS2. As we all saw, without the duplicate hardware this wasnt possible and software emulation was shoddy and wasnt pursued further.

It seems like shoddy writers write garbage pieces with no research, submit it to the cesspool known as N4G, to be read by more mindless drones who know nothing about the technology behind their "Favorite" hobby. Some weird ass paradox that would be the equivalent of a car enthusiast drooling over new cars, without any understanding of the engine in the car, the top speed, the creature comforts, gas mileage, etc. etc..

Ohhhh it drives! lol. Some enthusiasts.
#18 (Edited 535d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
mochachino  +   535d ago
No it shouldn't.

Sony should spend the money they would spend on BC on more power, better build quality, bigger HD, etc.

Gamers should keep their PS3s for the odd time they feel like playing last gen games.

Six Features We'd Like To See In FIFA

4m ago - Console Monster writes: "With the new football season fast approaching and the transfer window we... | Xbox 360

Seven Flash Games To Get You Over The Summer Drought

4m ago - The gaming drought has hit us all super hard. I’ve resorted to playing the games that are include... | PC

Looking To The Moon: First Impressions Of Destiny's PlayStation Beta [Forbes.com]

21m ago - After first playing Destiny at Bungie's Bellevue home several months ago, returning to the world... | PS3

Ami Plays – GTA Online – Skydiving Fun

47m ago - With the recent rumour of Grand Theft Auto V possibly being released in November for PS4, Xbox On... | PS3

Study Game Design at DeVry

Tony Plays – 7 Weeks of Simulator Hell – Week #2 – Warehouse and Logistics Simulator

47m ago - In the second week of his 7 Weeks of Simulator Hell, Tony presents Warehouse and Logistics Simula... | PC