Submitted by dvewlsh 979d ago | opinion piece

Resident Evil Reboot: Why It's A Good Idea

Christopher Jones of ContinueEnd.com looks at the news of a possible Resident Evil reboot and breaks down where the series has fallen apart and how it can win back the trust of its fans. (PC, PS3, Resident Evil, Wii U, Xbox 360)

PopRocks359  +   979d ago
Personally, I'd really like for them to at least finish the current story laid out in RE to RE6. At least provide a conclusion then reboot away.

But then this is Capcom. There isn't much to accept at this point.
DarkBlood  +   979d ago
yeah they got to at least finish it and bring all the characters together including billy, rebbecca barry pretty much those who were absence and for the sake of it might as well throw albert wesker in the mix

dont care if its through space magic or rainbows lol
Feldman9000  +   979d ago
Good luck with that. They keep creating lame characters rather than using the ones they have. Trying to hit a home run.
sobekflakmonkey  +   978d ago
I thought they finished it when they killed wesker...the series is dragging on and becoming more like a really cheesy soap opera now, RE6 imo was really hard to play without criticizing everything in the game, yeah it looked great, but man, some parts were so lame and forced it made me cringe, not to mention how much stuff they stole directly from other games, it's not even like they were paying homage to those game's...they literally ripped other games off, and they did it worse than what they were ripping off..horrible.

Bottom line, if they did choose to do a reboot, all I would want was for it to go back to survival horror, and have it be absolutely terrifying.
#1.1.2 (Edited 978d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
yeahokchief  +   979d ago
LOL. You want them to finish their ridiculous story filled with superhuman weirdos with scenarios that barely have anything to do with zombies anymore? HAH.

OKAY poprocks. OKAY. You must be 15-20 yrs old and never have played 1-3.

This series is beyond redemption. Burn it all. Throw it into the abyss and lets never speak of it again. Nuke it and take it off the map. Fire everyone who worked on 4,5 and 6 then don't let them work on video games ever again.

We need a new survival horror franchise from a publisher who isn't Capcom. I'm looking forward to The Last of Us. It may not be survival horror, but it will definitely be SURVIVAL and carry many of the elements that made the original Resident Evil special.

Dead Space has similarly followed in Resident Evils footsteps with the 3rd game. We need a survival horror franchise that will stay survival horror at all costs.

Don't think for a second that us core gamers are going to welcome this trash back when the fps fad dies down. No sir. You blew it Capcom.

I don't care what they do. Capcom has joined my shitlist alongside Activision Blizzard, EA and Nintendo. They won't get a penny of my money and I hope they all go bankrupt.
#1.2 (Edited 979d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
mcstorm  +   979d ago
Maybe if they can do a reboot from 4 and forget 5 and 6 were ever out. For me anyone who likes games with bait of spook in them should give Alan wake a go and also zombieu.

I do think this gem has lost its way with games like this though as res games are now to much action and I thought the same with dead island. To me zombies in a day time environment don't really work.

I also hope doom 4 builds on doom 3 as this is another game that they should build up its story and not just a run and gun game.
Lvl_up_gamer  +   979d ago
I extremely enjoyed RE5.
zerocrossing  +   979d ago
Look at what they did with DmC, they could reboot RE at anytime really, I just hope they do a better job and try and not piss off the majority of the core fanbase, again...
LordMe  +   979d ago
I am fine with a reboot, but I don't think they need to outsource it to do one. Though a proper conclusion would be nice before they scrap it all.
theWB27  +   979d ago
Is it a reboot to the story..or a reboot to the direction they were going with action against survival horror?
DarkBlood  +   979d ago
i imagine umbrella will still be the main focus or they could name it something else

i imagine the characters will be different, would have to be so you dont get those confused people thinking its another story in the same universe

it would be entirely survival horror, assuming thats why they are rebooting it
theWB27  +   979d ago
I was thinking it was just rebooting the series direction mainly...which I dont mind.
j-blaze  +   979d ago
yeah, they should keep the characters and story and change the direction to survival horror without the stupid co-op in single player
#3.2 (Edited 979d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Neo Nugget  +   979d ago
How about just another RE3 ->RE4 type shift?
Wasn't that the problem? lol
Neo Nugget  +   979d ago
I'm talking about a similar level of evolution, not the jump to action.
PopRocks359  +   979d ago
RE4 was not really a problem IMO. It modernized the franchise in a way that was more healthy. RE5 and RE6 are butcherings of what Shinji Mikami accomplished.

I concede, RE4 was less scary because the player was given a degree of power through gun upgrades. But it was still a creepily atmospheric game with controls that were rock solid and QTEs that actually complimented the gameplay. To me at least, RE4 is a fantastic balance between horror and action, much more so than the sequels that came after.
Unlimax  +   979d ago
I understand your point .. maybe you trying to say that *Spoiler* The story of RE3 should move on without the Destruction of Racoon city , So the story will keep going in Racoon city with Different events , Different story and wesker will still alive ,just looking for a TURE Survival Horror after all Oh Wai- without Shinji mikami the story will.. -_-" !
#4.2 (Edited 979d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
lilbroRx  +   979d ago
Thats what RE6 was suppose to be.
Kevlar009  +   979d ago
Resident Evil never felt the same when Wesker died. Not like RE6 fell apart due to his death, but the whole Universe seems to have lost its edge without him behind the scenes. The fact that every situation would lead back to him, that he was this omnipotent enemy was interesting to me. He was the last road to the original RE, to the very beginning. Without him the direction seems to be lost, every game is just a use of the name, not the soul.

Revelations received a lot of praise, a claustrophobic RE with RE4 gameplay would be my idea (bring back the stop and shoot gameplay, that kind of movement really defines the series). There is a certian point when you can only go so big. RE needs to deflate and start anew.
#5 (Edited 979d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Agreed, %100. Not only did he die, but he died in the most ridiculously awkward unfitting way.

*falls into volcano*

Wesker: "Chrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiii iiiisssss!!!!"

Chris: "Oh look 2 Rpg's conveniently placed in an awkward spot incredibly close to the last boss fight of the game, how original"

*hands Sheva one Rpg*

*Pew* *BANG*

*Ride into sunset* (,_, )
#5.1 (Edited 979d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
kenshiro100  +   978d ago
So true, lmfao. You described that scene very well.
PS4isKing_82  +   979d ago
Just please take it back the re remake and re zero style from GameCube and absolutely NO co op!!
CPU or online!!

That completely kills the horror element.
A ps4 re game in the vein of re remake would be amazing!!

I'm getting an erection just thinking about it.
Panthers  +   979d ago
At least these Japanese developers are finally seeing this "westernization" of their franchises are hurting them. Final Fantasy and Resident Evil were two franchises I thought I would always love and play every iteration of. Yet this gen I have not played any version of FF13 or RE6. Its depressing. I mean these games were already some of the biggest franchises in all of gaming. Why change so drastically and take them in such an obviously horrible direction?

Get back to what we love Capcom and Square!!!
#7 (Edited 979d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Max-Zorin  +   979d ago
Even if they make RE back to how it was before, Capcom is not to be trusted, seeing how they love locking content for money that can easily be unlocked by beating the game.
#8 (Edited 979d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Kratoscar2008  +   979d ago
Just make RE Outbreak 3 already! That (REO2)was the last true RE game and an awesome one to boot. Stop with the Testosterone boosted freaks, bring average joes like a hot dog seller, a Sheriff, a chef. We need those kind of characters not special forces with the agility of a cat.
Kyosuke_Sanada  +   979d ago
I agree, Resident Evil Outbreak played so great that I was excited to see if they were going to transfer the infrastructure to create another main entry of the series (I always felt that Outbreak was canon.)

Instead, I suspected the engine was used to create Haunting Ground which I believe deserves to be in the top 3 survival horrors ever created for Playstation 2. However it died due to lack of advertisement and very unfair reviews (most reviewers called the game sexist and lied about elements like not being able to defend yourself, cheap enemies, etc..) yet praise Amnesia which pretty much got most of the concepts from it.
#9.1 (Edited 979d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Kratoscar2008  +   979d ago
Havent tried that one yet, its so hard to find.

And i consider Outbreak cannonical too.
ldfgwergweg   979d ago | Spam
1upgamer99  +   979d ago
As a huge fan of RE, I really started enjoying them on Gamecube because the graphics added so much more atmosphere than on PS1(RE0 was okay not my fave) when 4 came out it gave me a little of everything I waned. I will never forget the first time I played RE4 OMG, With all of those villagers and Chainsaw guy . The tension was unbelievable then hearing the bell toll,the villagers going away and seeing RE4 on the screen. That was the last time I put a RE in and thought WOW this is going to be something.

RE5 I liked allot, but it was not the same, and I thought Oh well that is okay 6 will be different, I played RE6 and it was a turd So disappointed. Nice graphics, but I mean really!

I hope they close it up, before a reboot by taking it to a remote Island, with a mansion, graveyard, hidden passages, caves. You get the picture....
#11 (Edited 979d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
bit-crusherrrr  +   979d ago
I'd just like to know who ada is and who she works for.
DivineAssault  +   978d ago
If they do reboot the series for nx gen, will wii u even get it? Im pretty sure a port of RE6 isnt out of the question but an actual NEW reboot using nx gen engines..

Underworld Ascendant Interview | RPadTV

35m ago - Otherside Entertainment founder & CEO Paul Neurath and design director Joe Fielder talk about the... | PC

Top 10 Gaming Facts That'll Blow Your Mind

45m ago - Many gamers consider themselves to be aficionados, but CheatCC bets they've rounded up at least a... | Culture

Top 5 Movies To See This Month

Now - The month of September has Johnny Depp portraying an enraged criminal, a group of climbers trying to make it home safely, and the return of the sur... | Promoted post

PDP AG7 True Wireless Headset for Xbox One - Hardware Review

2h ago - Chalgyr's Game Room writes: PDP has been on a roll these last few years as they have been cons... | Xbox One

Heroes of Albion: Flash

2h ago - Do you like lightning? How about chestless shirts and insane hair? Check out the most recently an... | PC

10 Scary PS4 Games to play this Halloween

2h ago - PS4 Home: "With the PS4 having the best selection of horror games as an 8th gen console, Hallowee... | PS4