Submitted by dvewlsh 940d ago | opinion piece

Resident Evil Reboot: Why It's A Good Idea

Christopher Jones of ContinueEnd.com looks at the news of a possible Resident Evil reboot and breaks down where the series has fallen apart and how it can win back the trust of its fans. (PC, PS3, Resident Evil, Wii U, Xbox 360)

PopRocks359  +   941d ago
Personally, I'd really like for them to at least finish the current story laid out in RE to RE6. At least provide a conclusion then reboot away.

But then this is Capcom. There isn't much to accept at this point.
DarkBlood  +   940d ago
yeah they got to at least finish it and bring all the characters together including billy, rebbecca barry pretty much those who were absence and for the sake of it might as well throw albert wesker in the mix

dont care if its through space magic or rainbows lol
Feldman9000  +   940d ago
Good luck with that. They keep creating lame characters rather than using the ones they have. Trying to hit a home run.
sobekflakmonkey  +   939d ago
I thought they finished it when they killed wesker...the series is dragging on and becoming more like a really cheesy soap opera now, RE6 imo was really hard to play without criticizing everything in the game, yeah it looked great, but man, some parts were so lame and forced it made me cringe, not to mention how much stuff they stole directly from other games, it's not even like they were paying homage to those game's...they literally ripped other games off, and they did it worse than what they were ripping off..horrible.

Bottom line, if they did choose to do a reboot, all I would want was for it to go back to survival horror, and have it be absolutely terrifying.
#1.1.2 (Edited 939d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
yeahokchief  +   940d ago
LOL. You want them to finish their ridiculous story filled with superhuman weirdos with scenarios that barely have anything to do with zombies anymore? HAH.

OKAY poprocks. OKAY. You must be 15-20 yrs old and never have played 1-3.

This series is beyond redemption. Burn it all. Throw it into the abyss and lets never speak of it again. Nuke it and take it off the map. Fire everyone who worked on 4,5 and 6 then don't let them work on video games ever again.

We need a new survival horror franchise from a publisher who isn't Capcom. I'm looking forward to The Last of Us. It may not be survival horror, but it will definitely be SURVIVAL and carry many of the elements that made the original Resident Evil special.

Dead Space has similarly followed in Resident Evils footsteps with the 3rd game. We need a survival horror franchise that will stay survival horror at all costs.

Don't think for a second that us core gamers are going to welcome this trash back when the fps fad dies down. No sir. You blew it Capcom.

I don't care what they do. Capcom has joined my shitlist alongside Activision Blizzard, EA and Nintendo. They won't get a penny of my money and I hope they all go bankrupt.
#1.2 (Edited 940d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
mcstorm  +   940d ago
Maybe if they can do a reboot from 4 and forget 5 and 6 were ever out. For me anyone who likes games with bait of spook in them should give Alan wake a go and also zombieu.

I do think this gem has lost its way with games like this though as res games are now to much action and I thought the same with dead island. To me zombies in a day time environment don't really work.

I also hope doom 4 builds on doom 3 as this is another game that they should build up its story and not just a run and gun game.
Lvl_up_gamer  +   940d ago
I extremely enjoyed RE5.
zerocrossing  +   940d ago
Look at what they did with DmC, they could reboot RE at anytime really, I just hope they do a better job and try and not piss off the majority of the core fanbase, again...
LordMe  +   940d ago
I am fine with a reboot, but I don't think they need to outsource it to do one. Though a proper conclusion would be nice before they scrap it all.
theWB27  +   940d ago
Is it a reboot to the story..or a reboot to the direction they were going with action against survival horror?
DarkBlood  +   940d ago
i imagine umbrella will still be the main focus or they could name it something else

i imagine the characters will be different, would have to be so you dont get those confused people thinking its another story in the same universe

it would be entirely survival horror, assuming thats why they are rebooting it
theWB27  +   940d ago
I was thinking it was just rebooting the series direction mainly...which I dont mind.
j-blaze  +   940d ago
yeah, they should keep the characters and story and change the direction to survival horror without the stupid co-op in single player
#3.2 (Edited 940d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Neo Nugget  +   940d ago
How about just another RE3 ->RE4 type shift?
Wasn't that the problem? lol
Neo Nugget  +   940d ago
I'm talking about a similar level of evolution, not the jump to action.
PopRocks359  +   940d ago
RE4 was not really a problem IMO. It modernized the franchise in a way that was more healthy. RE5 and RE6 are butcherings of what Shinji Mikami accomplished.

I concede, RE4 was less scary because the player was given a degree of power through gun upgrades. But it was still a creepily atmospheric game with controls that were rock solid and QTEs that actually complimented the gameplay. To me at least, RE4 is a fantastic balance between horror and action, much more so than the sequels that came after.
Unlimax  +   940d ago
I understand your point .. maybe you trying to say that *Spoiler* The story of RE3 should move on without the Destruction of Racoon city , So the story will keep going in Racoon city with Different events , Different story and wesker will still alive ,just looking for a TURE Survival Horror after all Oh Wai- without Shinji mikami the story will.. -_-" !
#4.2 (Edited 940d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
lilbroRx  +   940d ago
Thats what RE6 was suppose to be.
Kevlar009  +   940d ago
Resident Evil never felt the same when Wesker died. Not like RE6 fell apart due to his death, but the whole Universe seems to have lost its edge without him behind the scenes. The fact that every situation would lead back to him, that he was this omnipotent enemy was interesting to me. He was the last road to the original RE, to the very beginning. Without him the direction seems to be lost, every game is just a use of the name, not the soul.

Revelations received a lot of praise, a claustrophobic RE with RE4 gameplay would be my idea (bring back the stop and shoot gameplay, that kind of movement really defines the series). There is a certian point when you can only go so big. RE needs to deflate and start anew.
#5 (Edited 940d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Agreed, %100. Not only did he die, but he died in the most ridiculously awkward unfitting way.

*falls into volcano*

Wesker: "Chrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiii iiiisssss!!!!"

Chris: "Oh look 2 Rpg's conveniently placed in an awkward spot incredibly close to the last boss fight of the game, how original"

*hands Sheva one Rpg*

*Pew* *BANG*

*Ride into sunset* (,_, )
#5.1 (Edited 940d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
kenshiro100  +   940d ago
So true, lmfao. You described that scene very well.
PS4isKing_82  +   940d ago
Just please take it back the re remake and re zero style from GameCube and absolutely NO co op!!
CPU or online!!

That completely kills the horror element.
A ps4 re game in the vein of re remake would be amazing!!

I'm getting an erection just thinking about it.
Panthers  +   940d ago
At least these Japanese developers are finally seeing this "westernization" of their franchises are hurting them. Final Fantasy and Resident Evil were two franchises I thought I would always love and play every iteration of. Yet this gen I have not played any version of FF13 or RE6. Its depressing. I mean these games were already some of the biggest franchises in all of gaming. Why change so drastically and take them in such an obviously horrible direction?

Get back to what we love Capcom and Square!!!
#7 (Edited 940d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Max-Zorin  +   940d ago
Even if they make RE back to how it was before, Capcom is not to be trusted, seeing how they love locking content for money that can easily be unlocked by beating the game.
#8 (Edited 940d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Kratoscar2008  +   940d ago
Just make RE Outbreak 3 already! That (REO2)was the last true RE game and an awesome one to boot. Stop with the Testosterone boosted freaks, bring average joes like a hot dog seller, a Sheriff, a chef. We need those kind of characters not special forces with the agility of a cat.
Kyosuke_Sanada  +   940d ago
I agree, Resident Evil Outbreak played so great that I was excited to see if they were going to transfer the infrastructure to create another main entry of the series (I always felt that Outbreak was canon.)

Instead, I suspected the engine was used to create Haunting Ground which I believe deserves to be in the top 3 survival horrors ever created for Playstation 2. However it died due to lack of advertisement and very unfair reviews (most reviewers called the game sexist and lied about elements like not being able to defend yourself, cheap enemies, etc..) yet praise Amnesia which pretty much got most of the concepts from it.
#9.1 (Edited 940d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Kratoscar2008  +   940d ago
Havent tried that one yet, its so hard to find.

And i consider Outbreak cannonical too.
ldfgwergweg   940d ago | Spam
1upgamer99  +   940d ago
As a huge fan of RE, I really started enjoying them on Gamecube because the graphics added so much more atmosphere than on PS1(RE0 was okay not my fave) when 4 came out it gave me a little of everything I waned. I will never forget the first time I played RE4 OMG, With all of those villagers and Chainsaw guy . The tension was unbelievable then hearing the bell toll,the villagers going away and seeing RE4 on the screen. That was the last time I put a RE in and thought WOW this is going to be something.

RE5 I liked allot, but it was not the same, and I thought Oh well that is okay 6 will be different, I played RE6 and it was a turd So disappointed. Nice graphics, but I mean really!

I hope they close it up, before a reboot by taking it to a remote Island, with a mansion, graveyard, hidden passages, caves. You get the picture....
#11 (Edited 940d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
bit-crusherrrr  +   940d ago
I'd just like to know who ada is and who she works for.
DivineAssault  +   939d ago
If they do reboot the series for nx gen, will wii u even get it? Im pretty sure a port of RE6 isnt out of the question but an actual NEW reboot using nx gen engines..

PS Nation Podcast-Ep438-(Keep Feeling) PAXination

35m ago - Jason Honaker joins Glenn Percival at PAX Prime 2015. Glenn recaps the ID@XBOX event at Microsoft... | PC

Elite: Dangerous Releases Lifetime Expansion Pass

39m ago - VRFocus reports on UK based studio Frontier Developments releasing a Lifetime Expansion Pass for... | PC

Check What PC Games are Coming Out in August

Now - At Releases.com you can check release dates for PC games. Visit now and start tracking the games you plan to buy. | Promoted post

Can Great Game Design be Taught?

40m ago - Some of the games industry’s most talented and experienced designers are making the leap from gam... | Industry

Risen 3: Titan Lords - Enhanced Edition | Chalgyr's Game Room

49m ago - Chalgyr's Game Room writes: The Risen series has always had a somewhat comfortable perch in th... | PS4

Void Invaders Review | Hardcore Gamer

51m ago - Casual and shooter aren't two words that go together often, but that doesn't mean it's not possib... | PC