Submitted by jeb69 605d ago | news

No Xbox Live Gold needed for Netflix this weekend

Netflix is pushing House of Cards hard, and the one last piece of this weekend’s PR drive can be found on the console side of things. For the next couple of days, a Gold membership will not be needed to watch Netflix programming on the Xbox 360. (Xbox 360, Xbox LIVE)

Kamikaze135  +   605d ago
Why do you need Gold for Netflix in the first place?
Godmars290  +   605d ago
Because that's the way MS wanted it to push Gold subscriptions. duh.

Not that I see this working as a way to convince any Silver accounts with online access to go Gold.
StrongMan  +   605d ago
It's criminal that the worst version of Netflix is on the device that you have to pay real money to access it. This should be illegal.
insomnium2  +   605d ago
Hooray for a free weeken...meh who am I kidding....
IAMERROR  +   605d ago
worst version? hahahahaahahaha

...oh wait were you serious?

I'd consider the non-HD versions worse
#1.1.3 (Edited 605d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(25) | Report
IAMERROR  +   605d ago
lol and let me just say that I in no way support the XBLG requirement, in fact I've spoken out about it many times on here. But to say that it's the worst version on Netflix when non-HD devices like the wii had netflix?... That's all I'm saying

So yesss Sony fanboys i'm on your side.... for once

omigawd #PSTRIPLE4LYFE #SONYIZGOD
#1.1.4 (Edited 605d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(11) | Report
Insomnia_84  +   605d ago
So ppl pay for internet to use Netflix, then pay for Netflix for the service and then some ppl have to pay Microsoft to let them use it just because "that's how Microsoft wants it"? LMFAO!!
Godmars290  +   605d ago
@IAMERROR
Why would you reply about which system its better on when I said nothing about that? (Oh wait, StrongMan's comment. Joy.)

If anything if MS had been considering accessibility rather than exploitation when they had Netflix as a system exclusive the 360 would likely be the #1 platform now. Regardless of its quality.

Instead because they just had to tack on XBL, that party feature with the MST3K theme no one apparently used, they pretty much gave that to the PS3.

@Insomnia_84:
They wanted non-gaming features bundled with the game-supportive service XBL mainly is so as to justify it to non or casual gamers. Nevermind that many people realized that they already had non-bundled, non-paid subscription access to those features.
#1.1.6 (Edited 605d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
MikeMyers  +   605d ago
It's because Microsoft is trying to create an Xbox experience while using apps like Netflix. Which means all your Live features and social functions, along with Kinect features, are integrated with the app. The problem is this clouds the idea of Netflix being a free app (of course you need a Netflix membership regardless of the platform you use and Xbox Live Gold does not cover that).

That's the problem with Live, because everything must run through Live it means you have to have a paid Live membership. That's what I don't like, being forced to be a Gold member to access apps that are otherwise free on any other device. They have also hampered Silver accounts by delaying game demo's and not putting any focus whatsoever in the free alternative.

Xbox Live back in 2002 was cool and brought a fresh whole new outlook to social gaming. It's now 2013 and the fee is not nearly as justified. I don't see Xbox Live pulling ahead of the competition and offering vast differences, at least not enough to warrant a fee. Nintendo, Sony, and Steam, have all grown throughout the years. So there are free alternatives now that were not as great back in 2002.

So unless Microsoft can come out with the next Xbox and show a clear distinction why Live is superior, I see them as the odd man out.
#1.1.7 (Edited 605d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(1) | Report
BattleAxe  +   604d ago
Ok people, I'm going to chime in on this one.....PS3 FTMFW!!!!
Karpetburnz  +   605d ago
Not only that, you also need a Gold subscription just to even use Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and even the Web browser. All of those should be FREE features.

Why some people think this is acceptable is beyond me.
aiBreeze  +   605d ago
XBLG.. premium price for everything you can get on your PC for free. I never realized how bad M$ really are scamming people with this, hopefully with the booming popularity in smartphones, M$ will at least offer these services for free.

Funny really, these days you can get a PC good enough to run all these things for the same cost of an xbox 360. Might take up a little bit more room but you add the console plus that HUGE power pack, it doesn't really take up much more room.
#1.3 (Edited 605d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Mathew9R   605d ago | Spam
PS4isKing_82  +   605d ago
I can do ALL that for FREE on my ps3. Plus I get all the exclusives sony makes and all the multi plats.
So what's the point of owning an Xbox? Serious question.

Aside from halo, gears, and maybe forza, I don't see a need for Xbox to exist.
If a person can get everything and more on playstation and for free, I have to wonder why a person would choose something like Xbox.

It just feels like a waste of money to me.
amiga-man  +   605d ago
Free for a weekend on the xbox or free forever on the PS3

......... ummm thats a tough one.
#4 (Edited 605d ago ) | Agree(23) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
abzdine  +   605d ago
i didnt know you needed to pay to have access to "pay" for Netflix :D

what a bunch of pigeons those 360 owners.
Megaton  +   605d ago
Fees to pay the fees. Only on Xbox 360.
MYSTERIO360  +   605d ago
Argh free Netflix this week really wow!......... wait i can access Netflix on my PC & PS3 for free.
#6 (Edited 605d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
PS4isKing_82  +   605d ago
Even my wiiU can access Netflix YouTube Hulu and amazon for free as well.
Microsoft is the ONLY one I know in the gaming industry who charges for this shit.

Typical American greedy company mind controlling the helpless masses.

Microsoft: "give us your money"
Helpless ppl: "ok"
Sony and Nintendo: "enjoy these amazing services for free"
The normal rational ppl: "wow not having to pay to access these services is a great value, ill buy their product and save alot of money for more important things"
unjust75  +   605d ago
I own an xbox, but this past year let my xbox account die because I bought a ps3. As a once loyal xblive, microsoft better change. Even PSplus offers more. All xbox live offers is access to the internet, which we already pay a fee for. On top of that we have to pay for any apps such as netflix and hulu.
abzdine  +   605d ago
"Even PSplus offers more"
what do you mean by this? PS+ offers what you bought a gaming machine for: GAMES!!!
Netflix, FB, Twitter are accessible for FREE from any other device than 360 :D
amiga-man  +   605d ago
(Applause) Unjust at least you have woken up to M$ scam
#8 (Edited 605d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Good_Guy_Jamal  +   605d ago
Big whoopty doo Microsoft!
maniacmayhem  +   603d ago
Funny you get a pass on saying this for a MS article. But you state the same thing (in less words) in a Sony article and boom, marked for trolling.

Yup, no bias on this site.
sway_z  +   605d ago
I am of the opinion BASIC ONLINE PLAY should always be FREE..

But! ...PSN Online Play is only free because the price of entry to PS3 at launch was ridiculously expensive, and having to pay for PSN/MP (at the time) would have killed PS3.

Infact, I am pretty sure Sony would have charged for online MP from day 1 had the hardware been priced competitively...

PS+ was introduced (excellent as it is) to leverage costs of running the service. Do not be surprised to learn Sony may be looking at ways to charge for MP next gen.

Sony don't do favours, they're a corporation just like MS... never forget that!
#10 (Edited 605d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(12) | Report | Reply
amiga-man  +   605d ago
sway_z + 11m ago
I am of the opinion BASIC ONLINE PLAY should always be FREE..

Yet you continue to pay for it, worse still you then make up a load of stuff about Sony to defend M$ charges.

Do like alan and wake up.
#10.1 (Edited 605d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
sway_z  +   605d ago
Are you a complete thick stick?? I don't pay for 'IT'.

PS3 is my main console and I play on-line for 'Free' tw@t!!

And I am not defending any corp.

Now who's making stuff up!!

'Make like Alan and Wake UP'?? ...How long did it take you to think of that one Cretin?
#10.1.1 (Edited 605d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(7) | Report
WeaseL  +   605d ago
This is not about MP or other gaming services, the story is about access to already paid for content that hides behind another pay-wall
stage88  +   605d ago
Why are MS doing this? So after the weekend they go "HA! Now you have to pay Gold to use it". Unbelievable.

Why do Microsoft continually find ways for me to hate the xbox even more. Would rather MS now bow out of the console business and SEGA to take their place with a new console. SEGA are a much more respectable company.
rapidturtle  +   605d ago
MS will have to follow the PS3 in the next gen, and give us online play, and the services that we are already paying for. They can have a paid service like the PS+, but I think people have finally woken up, and realized what a huge ripoff Live is.
sway_z  +   605d ago
@rapidturtle

100% agree with you....Xbox Live just doesn't justify the premium anymore, and MS will probably allow free MP next gen and charge for other services, much like Sony.

Xbox Xtra anyone....?

Lulz
mochachino  +   605d ago
Stuff like this makes me so happy I didn't renewed my Gold subscription after it expired in December.

Penny pinching and nickel and diming will bring the Xbox division down next-gen, I'm not paying for online again and my 360 without it seems crippled or boring so I never use it anymore.

My PS3 gets all the love now, and that will continue onto PS4 unless MS has a free online option that grants you MP with features.

FIFA 15 tips to help familiarize you with dribbling

25m ago - In FIFA 15, EA has revamped the art of dribbling to some extent. While it’s not hard to dribble i... | PC

Endless Legend Review | Entertainment Buddha

26m ago - Entertainment Buddha's Nick Horry writes: "The ability to customize Auriga to your liking is deta... | PC

Ryse: Son of Rome Attempts to Claim Victory on PC | Hardcore Gamer

30m ago - Hardcore Gamer: "Ryse: Son of Rome was one of the premiere Xbox One launch titles, showing off wh... | PC

Hyrule Warriors Epona DLC is essential

30m ago - From the article, "Everyone is super excited about the Hyrule Warriors Epona DLC announcement. Th... | Wii U

Start Making Games for the PS4

Hardline Vs Advanced Warfare – The Early Verdict

30m ago - IM PLAYIN discusses the multiplayer demos available to play at EGX of Battlefield Hardline and Ca... | PC