Submitted by get2sammyb 573d ago | opinion piece

Five Mistakes That the PlayStation 4 Must Avoid

Push Square: "The PlayStation 4 will finally be announced on 20th February. Sony shocked the gaming industry with a mysterious trailer that teased the reveal last night, confirming that it will be hosting a PlayStation Meeting in New York City later this month. But while the imminent announcement is understandably exciting, there are a number of pitfalls that we feel the platform holder must avoid if it wants its next generation system to succeed." (PS4)

NastyLeftHook0  +   573d ago
don't let the competition get ahead start sony! vanquish them!

the video below is sony vs microsoft.

Related video
#1 (Edited 573d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
get2sammyb  +   573d ago
I think that's key, but it's clear we're not going to see an Xbox 360 vs. PS3 scenario again.
DivineAssault  +   573d ago
They will.. xbox is slowly losing its customers & theyre understanding that sony does all those things too & free.. PS outsells xbox, but in the US theyre so obsessed with them that its hard to topple those sales.. Getting there tho & sony already shipped out more PS3s to distributers.. PS4 will murder em i think as long as they keep the online play free & clean up the download install sync process.. cross game chat, etc (which vita does for the most part so PS4 will too)

Nintendos CEO already said he will step down if wii u doesnt pick up by the end of the year.. So the head of that serpent is nearly severed.. One more left & sony hasnt failed before.. Not one time so im sure PS4 will be great.. PS1 was boss, PS2 was boss, PS3 staggered its way up but its there, & PS4 will come out swinging hard!

On topic, i do believe these 5 issues must be addressed to make PS4 a more pleasant experience.. I believe they will be fixed this time but with new tech & hardware, comes new problems in the future..
#1.2 (Edited 573d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
RuleofOne343  +   573d ago
I haven't left them & I know their are similar service that are free on PC. but I prefer MS way better than the other two, Guess am in for the long haul.
thaimasker  +   573d ago
When did Iwata say or even imply that he will step down if the wii u doesn't pick up by the end of the first year? Please point that out to me...Stop going by mis-leading doom and gloom headlines that want publicity and read what he says next time
UltraVegito  +   573d ago
They should avoid

1.drought of games at/after launch

2.stuffing in enough tech that the ps4 becomes too high for the mass market

3.Moving foward with their terrible advertiment team(mark my effing words sony themselves would be in quite a better position if they marketed themselves right.)

4.games going over 60$

5.????

these are quite simple steps on what they should do,and i think they've learned from their past mistakes to do so.
psyxon  +   573d ago
Games prices have nothing to do with Sony unless released by them.
clearelite  +   573d ago
Was going to mention the marketing because I feel they are strong in other areas. This will be particularly important at launch when/if their "competition" does everything they can to steal their thunder.
rainslacker  +   573d ago
As far as marketing, the trailer itself was classic Sony. Exciting, intriguing, and did it's job to get everybody talking. I haven't seen them come out like that since the first PS1, which had an incredible advertising campaign. If they continue this up until and after the PS4 launch then I would not feel like Sony is dropping the ball anymore in that area.
#1.3.3 (Edited 573d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
pr0t0typeknuckles  +   573d ago
all of these i heavily agree with especially the price not just because i want a cheaper console but because if sony truly wants to sell the ps4 they would learn from the ps3 and see how well that went, heck the ps3 didnt really sell well until it took a price drop.
Gamer39  +   573d ago
Two big mistakes.

1., No many AAA quality games 2-3 years.
2., High priced.
psyxon  +   573d ago
Everybody thinks they know everything. Lol.

"The positive news is that the PS4 won’t have to deal with superfluous extras such as the CELL processor and a burgeoning Blu-ray drive. It’s apparently taking advantage of off-the-shelf components, which should lower the console’s overall cost."

GTFO. Pure speculation. Why would Sony dump BR when it's the leader in optical medium?

I won't even address the rest of these old, novelty issues stated in this article. Another terrible article submitted to N4G.
GribbleGrunger  +   573d ago
I think they mean that Blu-ray is now established and no longer a 'burgeoning' market. It is slightly ambiguous though ... I can see why you would be confused.

They're saying that Cell was superfluous (I can't agree) but that Blu-ray is now 'established' and not 'burgeoning'. I was taking you main point to be the Blu-ray comment for my first response. I DO agree with you to a certain extent though. And as far as asking me if I understand the definition of a certain word ... that question defines the word better than I could.
#4.1 (Edited 573d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
psyxon  +   573d ago
They're implying a "burgeoning" market is somehow bad or superfluous.

"PS4 won’t have to deal with superfluous extras"

Do you know what superfluous means? Do you know what burgeoning means? I'm sure you do, so you should understand how they're implying that a BD drive was somehow a burden on the PS3, and that the PS4 won't have to deal with it.
smashman98  +   573d ago
It was a burden its one of the reason ps3 was so expensive in the end it paid off the ps4 will be dealing with an established format and in fact won't have to deal with that again
clintagious650  +   573d ago
Nuttin new here, we all know sony will deliver with the games. Only thing they need to do is just learn from their mistakes with the ps3 & deliver with the ps4. As a hardcore gamer the games sony delivered were great now just give the whiners crosschat & other minor stuff they complained about & were good to go. Ridge Racer ps4 anyone? Lol jk. Cant wait.
Jek_Porkins  +   573d ago
This is strictly my opinion but...
1.Avoid high price, stick to $399 or lower
2.Allow used games to be played on the console
3.Allow full physical backwards compatibility
4.Decent launch lineup
5.Easy to develop for so they don't get crappy ports

This is only my opinion, some of those happen to be deal breakers for me.
smashman98  +   573d ago
Lower than 399 is a pipe dream I expect 2 skus with one at 400 and the other att 450
Jek_Porkins  +   573d ago
How is $399 a pipe dream and then you say $400 which is the same thing? They wouldn't release a console for exactly $400, it would be $399.

I actually think they will release a $399 and a $499 SKU. Anything higher and they wouldn't have learned the lesson from this generation and I'd be waiting to buy one until there was a price drop.

I also expect a Vita price drop to be announced on Feb 20th, I stated all along the price point was too expensive and so I help off. If the new price point is reasonable, I'm all in.
Kingscorpion81  +   573d ago
LOL
KwietStorm  +   573d ago
You said lower than 399 and so did smashman
rainslacker  +   573d ago
6. Add PSP digital game support on the console....particularly if it upscales it.:)
#6.3 (Edited 573d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
smashman98  +   572d ago
399 isnt lower than 399

to me 400 and 399 are the same thing especially when you factor in the inevitable tax you'll be paying on it. Like I said they wont go lower than 399
abzdine  +   573d ago
only one thing: the price and at least one killer software
Kingscorpion81  +   573d ago
I have a friend that works for Sony and he said Sony is going to bring back a lot of there old games like Syphon Filter and Jak and Daxter 4 !!
rainslacker  +   573d ago
That would be pretty cool....a Limited Edition Syphon Filter PS4 would be even cooler.:)
NeoTribe  +   573d ago
They just need to advertise the hell out of it.
Karpetburnz  +   573d ago
If Sony Launches the PS4 at an affordable price, lots of AAA titles and heavily advertise it, Then I believe the PS4 will dominate next generation.

Playstation has been in the spotlight for the past few years, and recently has a lot of momentum. That will be an advantage for Sony next generation.
#10 (Edited 573d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
RevXM  +   573d ago
Hmm I think price alone isnt a problem.
400-500 usd would prolly be the sweet spot for core gamers wich afterall is Sonys main target.

Power is key for creating excitement and a more easy going aging of the product. After all these years Ps3 and 360 is still relevant to the majority of gamers and developers, and the Wii isnt. In the long term power is great, it creates support, attention and it just glides of from there if things are handled properly.

Prices comes down, the initial market is there but as always it is crusial that they hit the spot with marketing, game lineup/titles and timing. Too far away from the competition is not good.

An expensive system can be very successfull. Even though ps3 had weak advertising initially and bad timing worldwide it did come of as the most succesful this far in its own field and second to the wii wich is IMO a whole different thing all together that took a whole new market all by itself.
A new market that proved to be huge and a success I dont think WiiU can top although its doing fairly well atm.
Nintendo will prollly continue to rule the casual market regardless of what efforts sony or Microsoft might do. (Kinect, move etc)

POWER, FEATURES, PR/ADVERTISING/MARKETING, TIMING AND MOST IMPORTANTLY GAMES!!!!!... GO!
#11 (Edited 573d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

Madden NFL Mobile - Tips and Cheats: The Strategy Guide

15m ago - WP - "Madden NFL Mobile is the latest in the mobile Madden games, and the second one that's gone... | iPhone

Lost Land Tactics SLG strategy game released in GREE

17m ago - Today, the new strategy RPG game Lost Land Tactics was released in Japan via the GREE service. | iPhone

The most compelling Final Fantasy death isn’t the one everybody talks about

18m ago - In the middle of the 1997 role-playing game Final Fantasy VII, a kind, magical, nature-loving wom... | Retro

Madden 15 review: victory formation - Polygon

19m ago - Polygon: "EA Sports' Madden series celebrated its 25th anniversary last year. This year's Madden... | PS4

The Walking Dead Meets Spider-Man

Now - Come join us on Filmwatch this month as we give you a chance to win the Electro Collector's Edition of Amazing Spider-Man 2 or the Limited Edition... | Promoted post

Top 10 highest grossing video games of the 2010s