Submitted by john2 614d ago | news

Sony Santa Monica Is Also Interested In Vigil's Employees

DSOGaming writes: "Yesterday, we informed you about Platinum Games’ interest in both Darksiders’ IP and Vigil Games’ former employees. Well, it seems that Platinum is not the only studio interested in those guys, as Sony Santa Monica has also expressed its interest towards them." (Industry, Sony Santa Monica, Vigil Games)

Ezz2013  +   614d ago | Well said
buy them NOW..darksiders with god of war gfx and gameplay is just too much for me to handle @_@
#1 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(84) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
redDevil87  +   614d ago
Imagine the potential scale of the dungeons
Enemy  +   614d ago
I'm sure Vigil was inspired by God of War in some way as well, so it could be amazing to see them work together. If they end up with the rights to Darksiders, imagine it with the God of War engine + smoother frame rate + bigger bosses. Man, oh man.
jujubee88  +   614d ago
Last I checked, it was the employees but not the IP they wanted.
Even if it is a lead designer, that could be a positive impact on SM.

Seth Killian was recently hired on by SM. Yeah, SM is looking to add some quality pieces.

What are they planning?
Temporary  +   614d ago
I once got laid off from a job and the next one i got was even better and opened up more career opportunities for me.

Theyre talented, and they WILL succeed...here's hoping they are utilized and given the opportunity to shine again.
clyde san  +   614d ago
yes, it would be good for the employees to work together.

but just for fun it's even cool to think about if they got the ip and made a cross over game with the characters from both games in a god of war style. imagine kratos brutalizing them lol

franchises crossing over seems to be the hotness now.
#1.1.4 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
Mounce  +   614d ago
Jizzed...Innn my pants.
BanBrother  +   614d ago
It wouldn't have GoW graphics, no way. Darksiders 1 and 2 are open world. Besides, unless Sony buy Darksiders it aint gonna happen. It would be cool to see though, as I'm sure the graphics would improve ten-fold, and maybe go for a grittier, more realistic look, or at least perfect the artstyle they were trying to pull off.
Skips  +   614d ago
Uhhm, maybe he's talking about next gen? I think SSM could pull that off. lol
Temporary  +   614d ago
I think giving Darksiders an overhaul and changing the graphics style would be horrible...the style it has is just fine. Maybe they can fine tune it but completely changing it so it looks like a different game wouldnt be cool.

Part of the reason I like Darksiders is because of its brightness and unique art style.
Rainstorm81  +   614d ago
I know this is every Darksiders fan dream, but if Vigil wants to stay multiplatform then they may choose Platinum games......but for the sake of the franchise Sony Santa Monica would be a perfect fit .

A Darksiders with God of War's production value, on PS4.....Pure awesomeness
8bitHero  +   614d ago
well beggers cant be choosers. if i were them i'd go with whomever offered me the most money, even if it meant id have to make games exclusively for one console.
Skips  +   614d ago
@8bitHero

Agreed, who'd they want to work for depends on how successful they want they're games to be, and just how much creative freedom they're willing to sacrifice. (But knowing this is Sony LMAO, creative freedom is definitely not a concern).

As for the successful part. Who would they go for?

The studio who's past game in same genre (which sold poorly) was BARELY given another chance to make a sequel.

Or the studio who's past game in the same genre soared over 5 million sales and it's current game in development is one of the highest pre ordered games of the year. And that's not even including the many other quality titles they helped create and collaborate with. lol
#1.3.2 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report
clearelite  +   614d ago
As long as they don't focus more on graphics than gameplay that would be amazing. I have a feeling they will try to keep Ps4 dev costs reasonably low though.

WTF I just checked into darksiders for the first time and it looks amazing. Some of the Okami devs/etc. working with these guys would be perfect. Here's to hoping enough of them end up at whichever studio is right for them. Sony Santa Monica OR Platinum would have me at ease.
#1.3.3 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
IAMERROR  +   614d ago
I'd rather see new IPs than Darksiders 3, talented studio though. I'm sure they could pull it off if they wanted too
Kran  +   614d ago
Thats funny. Wasn't it a couple years ago fanboys were complaining Darksiders was taking ideas from God of War? Now that the talent is available for work, you want them to be snatched up.

Obviously fanboys thought they had more talent than previously thought.

On the right note, I hope Vigil employees find the work they need. It was sad to see Vigil go.
8bitHero  +   614d ago
I lol'd. someone ALWAYS has to make every single article on N4G about fanboys or console wars.
FlunkinMonkey  +   614d ago
You generalise a whole fan base on a couple of people's comments..

Are you stupid? grow up..
FamilyGuy  +   614d ago
Maybe their opinions about Darksiders changed for the positive? Sony itself even (must) think of it as a great game or it wouldn't be available as a free PS+ download.

When the game originally came out I didn't even think of it as comparable to god of war, it just looked like a cool demon themed action game.
#1.5.3 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
Godchild1020  +   613d ago
I thought a good share of people compared it to Zelda, due to the puzzles and stuff and God of War because of the combat and Gameplay.

Gamers would like to see SSM bring in the IP or at least the talent because they have potential to be great Developers. Not because they think they are more or less talented than SSM.

They took the ideas and made the game work for them and not just add it in because GOW was a successful franchise. And that is what set them on the map. That also help a lot of gamers see that you can use some ideas from other and make a use out of them and not just tack them on.

It could also be that they want them to still have a job in this industry and not move to mobile gaming or something completely different. No one likes to hear that someone lost their job because of a down economy or bad sales for a great game.
#1.5.4 (Edited 613d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
This madness!! I love it!!
#1.6 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
showtimefolks  +   614d ago
Sony Santa Monica studio is one of the highly regarded studio in gaming along with one Sony itself has a lot of respect for. SSM also help out other 1st or 2nd party studios if someone is having issues, last years only sent in some of their top devs to help finish the last guardian

If SSM is interested that means Sony is gonna listen to heir reasoning and may now be interested in not only hiring the devs but also buying the IP.

What surprises me about this whole auction is how cheap the IPs sold for. I mean how come SR ip didn't sore a offer of 50-100 million is beyond me, SR series has such high potential and imagine if one of the console makers had ought it to make it exclusive for their system

From day one I wanted Sony to buy Darksiders IP since THQ announced they were gonna auction it off. Now I hope Sony buys them because I don't think it's gonna take more than 3-5 million to buy it

Off topic:

Sony I think will try to buy QD after beyond 2 souls and David cage has already said he likes working for Sony

David Jaffe's next game will be on ps4 also for Sony since he said few months back working for Sony is a honor so I think both sides have a lot of respect for each other so I see mutual interest

I don't think Insomniac's next game is gonna do well, what I have seen of it doesn't raise my interest, when they announced it at E3 with that great trailer I was like awesome but when they changed the look and name that was bad IMO. Also doesn't help the fact it's a new IP and coming out around bunch of AAA titles.

So let's say Insomniac's game doesn't do as well as they had hoped than I could see them coming back to Sony.

EA's partner program is great because it lets the developer can the IP but than EA doesn't really advertise the games under the partners program. Shadow of damned was a very good game yet got almost no advertisement

Very interesting start to 2013
Awesome_Gamer  +   613d ago
Do it Santa Monica! Darksiders with God of War's production value would be incredible.
NastyLeftHook0  +   614d ago
Buy them sony!

maybe darksiders 3 can be ps4 exclusive!
#2 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(38) | Disagree(12) | Report | Reply
clearelite  +   614d ago
I would like to see that. Wouldn't mind if they acquired platinum games as well. I could be wrong about this, but I like the way Sony has treated their devs and they seem to encourage innovation. At least more so than other companies, which is why unique games like Heavy Rain exist.
#2.1 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Darksiders 3 as a Ps4 launch title would be freaking amazing o_o (I know, i know,,, Don't burst my bubble, let me dream.) I'm hoping they at the very least get their chance at making a story for the other 2 horsemen.
#2.2 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
majiebeast  +   614d ago
Darksiders X God of War make it happen Sony. You already got Seth Killian for SMS now just add key members from Vigil and the IP's they were working on. Darksiders is very similair to god of war in many ways so perfect fit much better then PG.
#3 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
BlaqMagiq24  +   614d ago
God of War team and Darksiders team working side by side? You're asking for greatness to happen.
baldulf  +   614d ago
Vigil's employees, not Vigil's IPs.

So no Darksiders 3, ever.
Lord_Sloth  +   614d ago
THQ is auctioning the studios with the Studio's IPs so yeah, Vigil would come with Darksiders. It's actually a package deal.
Ezz2013  +   614d ago
you are using logic and facts
those don't work here
baldulf  +   614d ago
Auction is over, no one was interested on Vigil as a studio.

What we are talking now is hiring the individual employees.
kratos123  +   614d ago
@balduff there is gonna be a second auction to sell all the unused ip and the remaining ips in the catalogue. Please check your facts and everybody knows vigil didn't sell or else ee wouldn't be here
BanBrother  +   614d ago
Well, I don't see why not. I believe the team is quite talented, and they actually delivered a better performing port to the PS3 with Darksiders 1 and 2.

I think the team really needed the financial backing of Sony or another wealthy publisher to reach the full potential with the Darksiders series. I know Darksiders is not in the cards (unlikely Sony will buy it), but I'm sure they could help out with GoW or other projects. Who knows, maybe the core team of SSM will work on a God Of War for PS4, while needing a hand with it and possibly another excellent handheld GoW for the Vita.
Kingofwiiu  +   614d ago
Do it Santa monica!!! DO IT!!!! SOMEBODY PLEASE BUY DARKSIDERS!!!!!!!!

Like the only franchise/developer I wanted to come out alright was Darksiders/Vigil ;( .... And Relic too. Don't really care about Saints Row or Southpark game or wrestling...
#7 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(19) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Hanso  +   614d ago
twitter them
MegaSackman  +   614d ago
Sony Santa Monica is a studio owned by Sony, why would they go multiplatform?

In any case this are amazing news for me, i love God of War, and i love Darksiders, win/win.
Rainstorm81  +   614d ago
They wouldn't if anything Darksiders would become Exclusive
MegaSackman  +   612d ago
i have said this because of the article:

"Question now is whether Sony Santa Monica will be able to acquire the rights of the Darksiders IP. That will be a bold move, though we don’t think that they’ll be able to. But let’s assume for a second that they do so… will Darksiders 3 be their first multiplatform title or not?"
Ezz2013  +   614d ago
they are not going Multiplat
they want to buy darksiders team and the darksiders ip to be exclusive to sony
#8.2 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
ElitaStorm  +   614d ago
dude take a moment reading the headline and think about what u said

MegaSackman  +   612d ago
i said this because of the article:

Gimmemorebubblez  +   614d ago
Dear Kaz
I know Sony has some financial trouble but your company is tipped to make a profit this year and the fact that you have an extra 670 000 000 USD after selling your US HQ invest that money in this game studio!!!! I can only dream :( but who knows?:)
supremacy  +   614d ago
Sony really needs to consider this;though i get the feeling they are saving and waiting to acquire either quantic dreams or insomniac once and for all.

I do hope they acquire these guys and this ip, this will add to the growing list of exclusive ips.

But who knows.
Soldierone  +   614d ago
They have already offered money to both, and both declined lol

Plus that won't happen anytime soon, so why no just go for darksiders and a brand new IP?
ShadowGhost  +   614d ago
I thought Quantic Dream wanted to be bought by Sony? I knew Insomniac declined since they wanted to stay independent. I think Sony is gonna buy QD and maybe get the Vigil employees as well.

#10.1.1 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report
KingofGambling  +   614d ago
Sony offer to buy Insomniac but they decline, as for QD they haven't offer yet. All eyes on
Beyond Two Souls.
Convas  +   614d ago
I'm sorry, I'm reading that SSM wants some Vigil team members, not to buy the IP.

What the hell are the rest of you reading?
FrostyZipper  +   614d ago
Still gutted that Vigil went under. Must be pretty heartbreaking for those guys that all their fellow studios under THQ were snatched up but they were left to drift just because two of their sorely underrated games didn't sell enough.
pr0t0typeknuckles  +   614d ago
santa monica and platinum are both interested in darksiders, i really dont see a bad choice in either, the only negative is that if santa monica gets it then darksiders is exclusive, but its not a big deal to me i buy playstation over every other console first.
soniqstylz  +   614d ago
After the 3rd game, the IP doesn't really have much left in it. Maybe you'll get extra coin from licensing out the IP for more comics, but that's really about it.
Kennytaur  +   614d ago
I know Naughty Dog expressed interest in them aswell, as they have a few open slots.
WeAreLegion  +   614d ago
Sony could be looking at a couple of quality studios, if they wanted to.
Sevir  +   614d ago
I was saying this before that Platform holders stand to benefit the most from an auction like this
I hope Sony puts in dibs on Vigil and possibly the Darksiders IP. Personally I think the 2 games are good but not great. If it were to come under Sony Santa Monica's wing, what I want for the franchise isn't a copy and paste of God of Wars combat and mechanics. Obviously Darksiders stands on its own, what need to happen is that SSM takes them and then help them make the game with the polish of a Sony Santa Monica title. Darksiders has great story and the system it has is great but flawed. I hope Sony writes a fat check and buys both the IP and vigil.
dafegamer  +   614d ago
This one has some serious potential for a God of War x Darksiders crossover game. Sony buy them. Imagine the epicness of both talents combined. I can see some epic dungeons and epic boss fights
Y_5150  +   614d ago
Naughty Dog and Santa Monica are letting vigil employees through their doors to work with them, that's an honor! We'll probably not see sequel to Darksiders 2 but the people who made the game are moving up in the world.
Bumpmapping  +   614d ago
Awesome Vigil would be a perfect fit with Santa Monica.
Lou Ferrigno  +   614d ago
Hiring the Employees and savoring their Career and keeping them from being Jobless is much more important than owning an IP imo..
Soldierone  +   614d ago
Why not? People are forgetting, not only would Vigil come with Darksiders, but they also had a brand new IP in the works too. According to insiders at the studio and THQ, the IP is awesome.

I don't see how absolutely no one bids on this though. at all. Is there a minimum bid on Vigil? Are they too big?
smashcrashbash  +   614d ago
I don't know what people are talking about.Just because they take in Vigil's employees doesn't mean they will necessarily make a Darksiders game.If they belong to Sony Santa Monica and they do what they tell them to do. If they think Darksiders is not a lucrative venture they could drop it completely. They would be part of a completely different company with it's own goals and plans.Just because they said they thought Darksiders was an epic game doesn't mean that is what they will have them working on.They could want them for their skills not their IPs.
eioweoidsfwe   614d ago | Spam
Adolph Fitler  +   613d ago
I agree with most here...Sony Santa Monica are a prefect fit to work with these guys. So Sony PLEASE buy these guys & let Santa Monica help them with Darksiders 3, to add that neccessary sheen & polish the game needs to be top of the heap, instead of 1 rung down on the ladder. love Darksiders, obviously, but it is a step down overall production quality compared to a GOW game.

So Santa Monica's input would make for far better enemy design, as Darksiders lacked any great, memorable, enemies, also level design, as Darksiders suffered in level design & direction as there was a bit too much back tracking & confusing map & level design for traversing easily.
I just think, morso than ND or Platinum, Sony Santa Monica is a far more logical fit or there style of game.

Sony should snap Vigil & the Darksiders license up, & they should announce the next Darksiders game as a PS4 exclusive, have Vigil & Santa Monica churn out the next one of these into a aaa+ game, & give it an awesome marketing budget & plan.
Also, ship the game with the 2 prequels all touched up & maybe don't call it Darksiders 3 (so it doesn't put people off that think you need to have played the 1st 2 to get this one). So maybe call it Darksiders: Conquest.

How Long Can You Keep Up a Combo in Combo Queen?

36m ago - Marcus Estrada writes: "The game stars Queen, a psychotic killer (as most video game protagonists... | iPhone

Things to do in Minecraft - Pilot Wings

1h ago - Geoff, Ryan, Michael, Jack, Gavin, and Ray compete to make it through all of the rings in this we... | Culture

Imaginary Achievements - Cargobash

1h ago - Jeremy and Kdin combine a jet, a cargobob, and a car in this week's Imaginary Achievement. | Culture

Danganronpa 2 Review | GamesFiends

1h ago - GamesFiends' Jo take her Vita and prepares to return to the world of Danganronpa for this handhel... | PS Vita

Study Game Design at DeVry

NVIDIA Shield 32GB LTE Gaming Tablet Now Available for $399

1h ago - Maximum PC: For those of you who've been waiting for Nvidia to start shipping its Shield gaming t... | PC