Try our new beta! Click here
Submitted by Cursinguser 1039d ago | news

Vigil Games Employee Reactions

With the unfortunate news of Vigill Games not being acquired during the massive THQ auction of the company's assets, some employees have come forward on Twitter to express their grievances. (Industry, Vigil Games)

Alternative Sources
NYC_Gamer  +   1039d ago
It's sad that Vigil wasn't on the bidders radar
adorie  +   1039d ago
"“#Vigil people we have a few potions open here at #naughty_dog best of luck to those effected, really sad news today :/
— Anthony Vaccaro - Environment Artist at Naughty Dog"

I like this one.
#1.1 (Edited 1039d ago ) | Agree(25) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
KingKevo  +   1039d ago
I loved both Darksiders games and I love ND, would be really cool if they could work on a future ND game and could bring some of their creativity and skill in.
audigo15   1039d ago | Spam
Rattlehead20  +   1038d ago
Naughty Dog being classy as ever. :)
esemce  +   1038d ago
Now that's magic.
camel_toad  +   1039d ago
Darksiders 1 and 2 both show me that Vigil is a team with great potential.

This makes me sad.
Temporary  +   1039d ago
This is horrible ... after the amazing job they did with Darksiders for this to happen really breaks my heart -_-
PirateThom  +   1039d ago
kma2k  +   1039d ago
Ive was reading a few articles & darksiders 2 needed to sell 2 million copies to "break even" & so far it has only sold 1.27 million coppies & has been selling only 8,000 copies a month for the last few months. Not looking good :(
pr0digyZA  +   1039d ago
Budget to make the game is too much and they aren't making a profit, I am sure a new studio will be formed out of this though, but unlikely to carry on with this franchise.
Cursinguser  +   1039d ago
Rumors suggest that the IP was picked up, but not the team. Possibly someone thinks they can do the game more justice. It's sad, really. Darksiders games didn't get the credit they deserved.
Gothdom  +   1039d ago
I'm gonna sound like an uncaring lame-o, but I want to know what happened to Darksiders.

And don't think I'm not sad for Vigil, I think it's stupid if someone bought the IP but not Vigil.

EDIT: the more I find info on this the more I see that Darksiders have not been bought yet and is THQ is still looking for a buyer (the same can be said for Vigil). We'll have more news tomorrow it is said. Why was homefront bought but not this?
#3.1 (Edited 1039d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
NYC_Gamer  +   1039d ago
Crytek bought Homefront because they were mostly likely already deep in development with the sequel
#3.1.1 (Edited 1039d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(0) | Report
Awesome_Gamer  +   1038d ago
Agree. I'm sad Vigil wasn't bought by anyone but I hear there is still a chance, Darksiders is an amazing franhice, really underrated.
majiebeast  +   1039d ago
Good luck to the former employees. Well the vultures had their fill of the carcass, now they just gonna let it rot in the desert.

Winning bid 26.6M by Sega
Backup 26.3M by Bethesda

Did relic dodge a bullet here or what?
#4 (Edited 1039d ago ) | Agree(17) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
NYC_Gamer  +   1039d ago
I'm happy Relic wasn't bought by Bethesda
League_of_Draven  +   1039d ago
Why? Don't you like overrated glitchy games?
brish  +   1039d ago
"Why? Don't you like overrated glitchy games?"

Personally, I prefer underrated stable games! ;-)
Roccetarius  +   1039d ago
Sega has Creative Assembly, so it was the obvious choice really.
matrixman92  +   1039d ago
how was this not picked up? i dont get it
Root  +   1039d ago
I think it's to do with the fact that out of all of them up for sale Vigil are the ones with the least amount of games produced, both are actually the same franchise. They've only done two....most people are going to think

"Well they've only done a couple of games, should we really risk it and invest in that studio.....what if things go bad"
#5.1 (Edited 1039d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
rpd123  +   1039d ago
I can understand why people would go for others over them, but honestly somebody should have picked them up. Darksiders is great.
Enemy  +   1039d ago
Damn, I love Vigil. This is breaking my heart. Darksiders is one of the best new IPs.
kma2k  +   1039d ago
I loved darksiders series truly sad :(
Ezz2013  +   1039d ago
i was waiting for Darksiders 3 ..sad day indeed
shadowwizard  +   1039d ago
Poor guys, I have never played Darksiders, but that's just sad. :-(
#8 (Edited 1039d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
kma2k  +   1039d ago
Darksiders 1 is free for ps+ members as of last week. Think adult Zelda a lot of fun!
LordHiggens  +   1039d ago
He's's about as awesome as going to KFC only to find a 100 dollar bill on the you get free chicken and money in your that.
matrixman92  +   1039d ago
I really hope vigil tries to go independent and buy back the series somehow...even if they had to start a kickstarter or whatever...I would support the sh** out of that
memots  +   1038d ago
Actually your right, i would also support it..

But the issue is that the copyrights will most likely be sold soon, and kickstarter takes a while.
WooHooAlex  +   1039d ago
Fortunately a lot of studios are hiring for next-gen projects right now, so hopefully most of them wont have a lot of trouble finding work. But this still sucks, I wish them the best.
baldulf  +   1039d ago
Those are terrible news.

So long Darksiders, we barely knew you...
TisMayo  +   1039d ago
Ahh that is just terrible :(

I hope the best for those who worked in Vigil. I am sure that they will get hired as soon as possible. They are very talented people.
Majin-vegeta  +   1039d ago
Sony should jump on and swoop in Vigil and add DS as another exclusive to their ever growing library of exclusives.
chrispseuphoria  +   1039d ago
Sony should have bought Darksiders to combat Nintendo's Legend of Zelda franchise.
#14 (Edited 1039d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Qrphe  +   1039d ago
While I do not see the need to counter franchises (Sony already has adventure games), they could just push for another Dark Cloud game.
PastyGangster  +   1039d ago
I really love the sound of this

Imagine if Naughty Dog were to create and RPG!
coolasj  +   1039d ago
Yeah, I mean... If they're hiring, it's just a matter of being good enough for the people in Vigil games. Lots of people want people with experience.
mydyingparadiselost  +   1039d ago
Nintendo, call these people! Darkzeldasiders would own all.
e-p-ayeaH  +   1039d ago
I think 2K games should should acquire this IP it suits them.
Yodagamer  +   1039d ago
That or nintendo/sony, i couldn't even imagine a game like darksiders with the polish of nintendo or sony (drools)
isa_scout  +   1039d ago
Sad day indeed when homefront is acquired, but an extremely better franchise like Darksiders is left out in the cold. Someone buy Vigil I NEED to see the conclusion of the freakin story!!!
TheFurryPanda  +   1039d ago
only difference was crytek had already put work into homefront trying to get it to become a wortwhile game. They probably bought it to offset costs that they had already put into it. (release it multiplayer download only on psn and xbl and make some profit back)
BlaqMagiq24  +   1039d ago
Best of luck to them. Nice to see Infinity Ward and Naughty Dog are giving a helping hand.
Adolph Fitler  +   1039d ago
I agree, would have been nice for either Sony or Nintendo to get hold of these guys.
It sucks that not enough hardcore or casual gamers bought there awesome 2 Darksiders games....really sad state of affairs.
I would have really loved to have bought the next 2 installments. In fact, it would have been awesome to get the next 2 horsemans stories in 2 sequels all about them, then get a game that includes all 4 horseman working together in the one game (Avengers like). Imagine being able to switch to any one of the 4 horseman, on the fly in a single player campaign as big as Darksiders 2, & having all 4 characters all watching each others backs at some points (as long as your 3 allies have great AI), as well as sections of gameplay where your split up & working on your own things & the game could change you round from character to character for different sections of game, then you all reunite, & so on, & so forth.
Then, a different 4 player co-op campaign would be the bomb.

I would love if Sony bought this studio, then had them make Darksiders 3 for PS Orbis, & as well as having a awesome brand new truly next gen Darksiders game that takes full advantage of the new hardware offered, it would truly be the greatest if Darksider 1 & 2 were included on the Blu Ray game disk, that involved the 2 games being spruced up graphically, running at 60fps, 1080P & just given all round enhancement treatment.

Imagine buying a PS Orbis & not long after launch, being able to buy Darksiders 3, with 1&2 included. 100's of hours of awesome gameplay. This is just one advantage PS Orbis's rumoured Blu Ray drive will afford gamers.
Unfortunately, the real world realities ammount to Vigils death as a developer.
kevinsheeks  +   1039d ago
Wow this is the first time I really realize just how sad it is when a studio is closed all these people out of jobs all these friends who build a relationship and came to understand each other now have to separate and leave behind a project they helped build its so sad

I could see if their work was lacking in the products they built sucked but dark siders improved with its sequel they had great potential just sad the cost of developing and the return didn't quiet match up
ziggurcat  +   1038d ago
man, i hope something happens to keep vigil around, and to see the continuation of the darksiders series.
NYC_Gamer  +   1038d ago
Vigil studio =closed.The Darksider franchise could be bought though...
#22.1 (Edited 1038d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Garethvk  +   1038d ago
I just spoke with a PR firm that we deal with who deals with THQ and they said the following...

They are working to sell off the remaining studios and IPs such as Vigil. So hope yet guys.
shutUpAndTakeMyMoney  +   1038d ago
Valve should by them.

Darksiders 3

3? never!!!
#24 (Edited 1038d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
TechOne  +   1038d ago
Soooo....Darksiders 3 with hats?

The IGEA Top Ten Chart powered by NPD - Australia Week 46

7m ago - Fallout 4 has debuted atop the Australian chart. | PS4

Kritika – Nobleria goes critical with several destructive weapons

1h ago - Announced a few weeks ago, Kritika will be getting a new character known as Nobleria next month i... | PC

HotLiked - What the Internet is talking about right now

Now - Kill some time at You will regret it... | Promoted post

A 'Dead Space' LEGO Replica to Make Us Whole -

1h ago - A 'Dead Space' LEGO Replica to Make Us Whole | Culture

C9 Rush Gets a 1v5 Pentakill

1h ago - Hardcore Gamer: Cloud 9's newest player gets an unlikely penta kill. | PC

How Does the Vita Version of Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires Stack Up to PS4?

1h ago - The entirety of Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires was crammed into this port, complete with cross save... | PS4