Submitted by MattyG 769d ago | news

THQ Dissolved, Saints Row, Company of Heroes Devs Acquired

IGN- Following THQ’s auction of its assets, the new homes of THQ franchises are slowly being revealed. According to multiple IGN sources as well as reports circulating on Twitter, Koch Media, Take-Two, Ubisoft and SEGA are among the new owners of THQ’s intellectual property and studios. (Industry, Metro 2033: Last Light, Saints Row: The Third, THQ)

Update UPDATE 1: While Vigil was initially rumored to have acquired the Darksiders franchise, reports now indicate that isn't the case.

UPDATE 2: Kotaku has obtained a letter from THQ CEO Brian Farrell and president Jason Rubin sent to all THQ employees.

The full text is as follows:

Alternative Sources
majiebeast  +   769d ago
"Ubisoft has reportedly purchased the rights to publish South Park: The Stick of Truth (pending any further objections from South Park Studios) as well as THQ Montreal, the current developer of Assassin’s Creed creator Patrice Desilets’ project codenamed 1666."

Lol Patrice Desilets must be pissed just when he thinks he got away from Ubisoft they buy his project and studio.

Koch media im iffy about them dead island wasnt exactly a
amazing game if you ask me.

Wow at the prices some of the ip's and studios sold for are just bargains 500k for Homefront that has got to be bullshit.
#1 (Edited 769d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
NYC_Gamer  +   769d ago
I'll be fine long as Koch just works the publisher role
#1.1 (Edited 769d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Root  +   769d ago
I know Koch Media and Saints Row.....urghhhh

Hopefully they'll move it a way from the over the top theme...I don't mind it a little but SR3 was too over the top
#1.2 (Edited 769d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
RIPSKATEDESTROY  +   769d ago
no Saints Row needs to be over the top, thats what makes it Saints Row
Root  +   769d ago
Well I'm guessing you never played the first game because that was nothing like SR3

There's fun, over the top and then just plain silly
Soldierone  +   769d ago
Then go play Grand Theft Auto.... I loved SR3, and its why I absolutely hate this whole THQ selling it business. Koch is probably going to make it more "marketable" and ruin it.... ugh.
M4I0N3  +   769d ago
I wonder if anyone bought the rights to Juiced, the first one was such a great game. It would be great to see if they expand on that franchise properly rather than what they did with juiced 2
RavageX  +   769d ago
SR3 was complete rubbish. Far too silly and stupid. SR2 on the other hand had a good balance of fun/crazy/serious.

Let's have more of that, and less SR3's stupidness.
NYC_Gamer  +   769d ago
IGN got that title wrong because Vigil didn't get sold to any publisher yet....

@Below
Yeah IGN made the proper changes and updated their info
#2 (Edited 769d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
MattyG  +   769d ago
It says right in the article that they were "reportedly" sold to Take-Two. EDIT: Nevermind didn't realize they updated it in the two minutes since I looked at the article haha sorry.
"Yeah IGN made the proper changes and updated their info." As shall I good sir, as shall I.
#2.1 (Edited 769d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Lucreto  +   769d ago
"Some assets, including our publishing businesses and Vigil, along with some other intellectual properties are not included in the sale agreements"

So Darksiders is still up in the air.

I find it funny Patrice Desilets left Ubi-soft but now is back working for them. He can't escape.
#3 (Edited 769d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
NYC_Gamer  +   769d ago
Here's the amount the assets were sold for...

Hunter ‏@DDInvesting
THQ auction results: 26M for Relic (Sega), 2.5M for Montreal (Ubisoft), 11M for Evolve (Take-Two), 22.3M for Volition (Koch Media)...

Hunter ‏@DDInvesting
500k Homeland (Crytek), 5.8M for Metro (Koch Media), South Park for 3.2M (Ubisoft)
TheGameHuntah  +   769d ago
I guess SEGA won't destroy Company of Heroes..... I hope.
I will be happy if South Park goes to Ubisoft.
rezzah  +   769d ago
apparently it did, based on the comment above yours.
Somebody  +   768d ago
Same here.

SEGA owns the Total War series, another great RTS franchise, so I do hope they won't drop the ball with CoH2.

I also hope SEGA will get Relic drop the pseudo-always online DRM they introduced in the first CoH. I bought 3 copies of the game with the hope the last one, a Complete "digital" edition, would get rid of the DRM but no. You can't even use the retail dvd to play it offline.
Lucreto  +   769d ago
No one wanted Destroy All Humans franchise. I love the first 2 games.

I offer $1
SmokingMonkey  +   769d ago
Wow, crazy news. Sad to see any gaming studio shut down, even if it's only thq.

Hope there are no delays for South Park SoT.

Anybody know/confirm if it's a $60 game on a disc or PSN/XBL Download? Gamestop has it for reserve as disc, but I could have sworn they said it would be DL.
pennywhyz  +   769d ago
ahh man very sad. comp of heroes is such a quality game.
NYC_Gamer  +   769d ago
The franchise/studio= alive with Sega as the owner & publisher
#8.1 (Edited 769d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Valenka  +   769d ago
What depresses me is that I personally hated Dead Island and now those responsible for it have the rights to Saints Row. I can do nothing but pray now.
NYC_Gamer  +   769d ago
Koch bought the whole studio so Saints Row should be fine

That really sucks dude :(
#9.1 (Edited 769d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Valenka  +   769d ago
"We expect that most employees of the entities included in the sale will be offered employment by the new owners. However, we cannot say what these owners may intend, and there will likely be some positions that will not be needed under the new ownership."

There's no guarantee about that, sadly.
BlmThug  +   769d ago
That scares me. I hope Koch just let Volition make SR4 without intervening or 'helping' or having any part in the making of the game as their 'help' is like holy water to Satan.
phantomexe  +   769d ago
It'll be fine and there kind of up and coming so just give them a chance. There not going change the formula saints row is a big seller. BTW dead island was a great game and most people enjoy it as we have seen many times here on n4g.
BitbyDeath  +   769d ago
So who got the WWE franchise?
Soldierone  +   769d ago
Rumor is Take Two (2k) is getting it. Though there are very slight hints of EA showing interest.
Mikefizzled  +   769d ago
From what I undestand thats a license not a franchise.
Rivitur  +   769d ago
Possibly Take-two at least that's what the article says.
Soldierone  +   769d ago
The only news I like so far.

-Sega got the proper studio, not going to lie thats a good fit. Plus they got the licenses and studio, so no one should be losing their jobs.

-Crytek got Homefront, they were already making it, so good.

-EA and Activision got nothing, thankfully. Who knows if they publish some of these games though. Crytek will most likely turn to EA for publishing Homefront.
Plagasx   769d ago | Spam
ONI5  +   768d ago
Come on MS. Sweep up Vigil and the DarkSiders Lic. God knows you need someone to reboot Azurik and NightCaster.
RGB  +   768d ago
Wonder how much THQ paid for their new logo? Idiots.

Chatting with Tim Follin, Creator of Contradiction

12m ago - Amanda French writes: "The basic premise of Contradiction is that an exclusive business training... | PC

Jungle Rumble: Freedom, Happiness and Bananas Review | Gamers In Beta

13m ago - Jungle Rumble: Freedom, Happiness and Bananas was previously released on mobile devices by Disco... | PS Vita

Dragon Ball XenoVerse Is the Best Kind of Anime Game

13m ago - Dragon Ball XenoVerse is one of the best Dragon Ball games, and a great anime game in general. | Culture

Kickstarter - Cryamore Update: Gameplay Refinements and Stuff

13m ago - NostalgiCO have released a new project update for their Kickstarted game, Cryamore. This new upda... | Wii U

See what games are coming out in 2015

Now - Visit our release calendar to see what games are coming out in 2015. | Promoted post

PC Gaming is Like Meth | EP40: Gamerscore Whores Podcast

15m ago - In this week’s episode we discuss: – Sony Losing Competition Entrant Data – GTA V Being Pushed... | PC