Submitted by bunt-custardly 923d ago | opinion piece

Will Sony and Microsoft integrate 3D in new consoles

Is 3D dead or will next gen spell a new lease of life for 3D based content as it's integrated into the new consoles from Microsoft and Sony. (Microsoft, Next-Gen, PC, PS3, Sony, Xbox 360)

Batzi  +   923d ago
I hope not!
FriedGoat  +   923d ago
3D is great for gaming if used correctly. No point playing in SUB-HD 3d like on current consoles. 720p kind of works but not many games can do it without a significant downgrade. But on the PC 1080p is the minimum it should be played in, it's the mutts nuts. I've been on the 3d bandwagon for a few years using the NVIDIA software and damn it's incredible. Got a 3d Projector in the post and I cant wait. I have 2 eyes I want to see depth.
#1.1 (Edited 923d ago ) | Agree(25) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
LocutusEstBorg  +   923d ago
3D Vision is the best thing I've ever bought. Consoles are quite frankly bullshit in comparison.
r1sh12  +   923d ago
3D was just advertised to get consumers to buy TV's, but the consumers all just said "we hate the glasses and stupid price tags" - Not only that but many films literally have a few scenes in 3D (THor comes to mind).
The next thing the big companies want to press is 4K.
But 4K is the same as 3D not much media supports it, so whats the point?
The_Infected  +   923d ago
I'm with you. I just don't care for 3D. Bring 1080p/60 with some amazing graphics, great exclusive games, and ill be happy.
LOGICWINS  +   923d ago
3D was a fad that went away pretty quick. It was virtually ignored at CES in favor of 4KTVs. I'm proud that consumers spoke with their wallets to make it known that they prefer better picture quality over watching American Idol in an extra dimension via ugly thick glasses.
FriedGoat  +   923d ago
@LOGICWINS
3D didn't go away, it's just not new anymore and TV's pretty much come with it standard these days. It's a case of not having to push it anymore.
I know lots of people who will be getting 3D tv's soon, the people who say they don't like it are the people that don't own it or haven't seen what it can really do.
3DTV's have been a success from a sales perspective.
#1.2.2 (Edited 923d ago ) | Agree(17) | Disagree(2) | Report
LOGICWINS  +   923d ago
Right thats what I meant. It's not going away, its just no longer the center of attention. Even 4KTVs will have 3D features.
JoGam  +   923d ago
Ignore Logic, he knows nothing. 3D is the standard. Why would they show old tech at CES? The new tech is 4k and thats what they showed.
Anon1974  +   923d ago
So because 3D wasn't the showcase again at CES this year like it's been in previous years, it's disappeared? Don't you think it's more likely that companies thought that maybe, just maybe, people would want to see new technology showcased? It's not like 3D was gone from CES, 3D was all over the place, it just wasn't the focus of CES like it has been the past few years.

Sales of 3DTV's look to have doubled in the US in 2012. I don't know why so many are out to convince us that 3D is somehow a fad that's going away, but look at the numbers. BusinessInsider.com just put out an article examining just why 3D is here to stay.

3D isn't going anywhere except into millions of living rooms worldwide. Consumers have been speaking with their wallets which is why sales of 3D sets have doubled this past year. This is no different when people moaned about slow HDTV sales and predicted they wouldn't catch on, or the years sites predicted Blu-ray doom. New tech comes out and it's expensive and only a few buy it. Slowly the tech improves and as it comes down in price, more people come onboard or it fails and is replaced by different tech.

3DTV sales aren't slowing, sales just doubled and that's an audience that will be hungry for content. I think it would be crazy not to cater to this growing market for the next gen.
Eyeco  +   923d ago
3d is a useless gimmick, there's a reason why Hollywood is starting to abandon it, theres a reason why Sony themselves even said it was a waste of time in a professional way, theres a reason why television giants like Samsung even expressed disappointment in it's sales heck they've even lost money in it.

It didn't do anything for the PS3 or its games if anything it made them WORSE, for example look at how buggy, glitchy and unpolished Uncharted 3 was, remember that aiming glitch, the time that could have been spent polishing that game was arguably spent on shoehorning 3D.
Baka-akaB  +   923d ago
Abandonning it ? You do realize that , taking Samsung as an example , since 2011 they have like 1 single model of screen without 3d included in their lineup ?

3d already "won" , it's there to stay as a default option for any modern tv set . It's just obviously an outdated feature to push forward , with other others like 4k ... and till a good glass free solution appears to make it front news again
#1.2.7 (Edited 923d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report
nukeitall  +   922d ago
@darkride66

"Sales of 3DTV's look to have doubled in the US in 2012."

"3D isn't going anywhere except into millions of living rooms worldwide. Consumers have been speaking with their wallets which is why sales of 3D sets have doubled this past year. This is no different when people moaned about slow HDTV sales and predicted they wouldn't catch on, or the years sites predicted Blu-ray doom."

Consumers have spoken with their wallets when the price of 3D TVs has plummeted. The 3D feature isn't something consumers are willing to pay significantly extra for.

Same with blu-ray. The adoption is only significantly accelerating when the price hits rock bottom, near the same price as the previous technology. Which means, consumers are only willing to pick up the "extra" (wether that be blu-ray, 3D) for slightly more or just about the same i.e little demand.

It's not a product here that is outstripping demand or performing exceedingly well.

"So because 3D wasn't the showcase again at CES this year like it's been in previous years, it's disappeared?"

It hasn't disappeared, it is just of little relevance now.

The real problem of 3D is that the 3D experience require glasses, and the fidelity is pretty low. The trade-off is uncomfortable glasses, and blurry/tired vision. It's just not comfortable.

The technology needs to get better, and I'm afraid that consumers are now scarred of this feature for a long time so even if way better technology comes out, it won't make an impact. The industry is scarred by these companies pushing it too early.
#1.2.8 (Edited 922d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report
ABizzel1  +   923d ago
3D works best for getting a better sense of depth within a game. If they can give use a better sense of the game actually being an open space, and it help determine depth and accuracy better (aka PC 3D), then 3D is worthwhile.

If they use the same console 3D tech then they can leave it out.
wsoutlaw87  +   923d ago
why? I see in 3D it just seems natural that everything we watch will be in 3D eventually. I have a Vizio 3d and movies are awesome. Games arent as good because of the drop in resolution which should be less of a problem next gen. I play AC3 with 3d on sometimes despite the graphics being worse.
badz149  +   923d ago
3D is a no brainer in next gen consoles
It will exist 1 way or another. Deal with it
RaidensRising  +   923d ago
I think all focus will be on the projector gimmick.
FriedGoat  +   923d ago
That thing looked silly. If you have a projector, get rid of the damn TV.
Droid Control  +   923d ago
Don't want to wear glasses!

And I don't like 3D.

I'd rather have 60fps/1080P
JoGam  +   923d ago
Thats why 3D is "OPTIONAL" No one is forcing you to do anything.
#3.1 (Edited 923d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Gamer39  +   923d ago
I hope yes!
I like this technology. 1080p/60fps+3D. Cool.
#4 (Edited 923d ago ) | Agree(19) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
aLucidMind  +   923d ago
I hope not; 3D is a crappy and useless gimmick. All it ever does is give me migraines and doesn't contribute anything to games or movies.
RustedMan  +   923d ago
just because it gives you migraines doesn't mean that it should be entirely devoid of use in the proper way.
I've only seen movies in 3D, have yet to play a game in 3D, But I'd imagine with the proper application, it could be pretty damned cool. Especially with a protagonist wearing a helmet, utilizing the visor's HUD in a 3D space...
Oschino1907  +   923d ago
Crysis 2, Black Ops 2 and Doom 3 BFG edition all look great in 3d. The HUDs do look awesome as they appear to float on the screen and you can really sense the depth. Personal favorite is looking down sights with the FHJ Missle Launcher in Black Ops 2 as it already has a "glass" like aiming screen with fingerprints on it, really pops off the screen! It's how many games should look and feel IMO, much more engaging.

As of now though its much better for single player (framerates) although I use it sometimes when playing BO2 Multi or Zombies. Next Gen if they can do 720-1080p 60fps in 3d it will be amazing. I wish more games had the option for 3d, sometimes I will play in simulated 3d and although not nearly as nice as true 3d it can still be a fun experiance on any game.

Also the glasses are getting better and better along with tv displays in general. Glasses I have are more like sunglasses then 3d ones and have thin titanium frames to keep them light but durable. In a few years time it will be much more common and reasonably priced along with just overall being more refined and better looking. 3d I hope is a option for a majority of games Next Gen, it will be well worth it for so many reasons.
aLucidMind  +   923d ago
I'm not saying it shouldn't be used if they were to implement it properly, I meant if they continued the way they were doing it: just tacking a 3D effect just to have 3D, which just about everyone making 3D games and movies tend to do. Its current form is what I was referring to; if it is competently done for once, I'll support its integration if I like it or just wish for it to be optional if I don't.
NintendoDreamcastU   923d ago | Spam
Starbucks_Fan  +   923d ago
I hope 3D is used, I want to make good use out of my Playstation 3D display
Y_5150  +   923d ago
The price is less than 200 dollars for that thing, and that's a steal!
vlonjati77  +   923d ago
Starbuck-dont worry it will be used,but man I dont know your budget but if you can save money and buy a big 3d tv its AWESOME.thanks to the 3d movies my neighbour groccery store has made lots of money from me buying pop cors because almost every night friends and cousing coming over to watch,I should start charging for admission LOL
LordHiggens  +   923d ago
I am on the side of aLucidMind here, 3D needs to go away and die a horrible death...it serves no purpose other than to give me a headache...it shouldn't even be called a 3D button...it should be a "make my picture blurry" button. It's a completely useless gimmick...More textures, More HD, Less 3D...kthxbye.
USMC_POLICE  +   923d ago
Have a ps3 and 3d plasma and I never use the 3d tried it on many games just was not blown away
th3n00bg4m3r  +   923d ago
Have you tried Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception or KillZone 3?
USMC_POLICE  +   923d ago
Yep I'm a killzone freak it did look cool but it made online hard and I don't like wearing glasses.
vlonjati77  +   923d ago
if you were to b blown away u wouldnt be alive to comment :b
Pathosverdes3  +   923d ago
Resistance 3 is also worth checking.
wsoutlaw87  +   923d ago
thats what next gens for
Dlacy13g  +   923d ago
I have ZERO doubts both consoles will be capable of handling 3D at this point. I just don't know either are going to try and make a big push on it similar to what Sony tried to do with the PS3 last gen. It will be there, and games / movies that have it will be supported but it wont be a headline feature.
BrianC6234  +   923d ago
I see no reason 3D shouldn't be part of the next generation. The TVs are finally getting cheap. Sometimes you have to wait a few years for things to catch on. Maybe someone will finally bring out 3D TVs that don't need glasses. Have the feature there in case it catches on. That doesn't mean it has to be used.
USEYOURFIST  +   923d ago
I have a passive 3d tv and some games eg assasins creed are really enhanced by the 3d effects and I would really like it to be standard for next gen. There have been some poor examples of 3d such as killzone and crysis which people probably think is what all 3d is like but it's not, gamers should give it more of a chance, just try assasins creed 3 3d and your see the potential if not go to specsavers or get a better 3d display it really makes a difference!!
#11 (Edited 923d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
LOL_WUT  +   923d ago
Whats the point? If no developers are using it, it seems like the only ones keeping it alive are Sony.
P_Bomb  +   923d ago
Not sure why you'd think that. Last year's biggest seller COD: Black Ops 2 has 3D, as does Assassins Creed 3 which I just bought. Gears 3 and Arkham City had it. BioShock Infinite, Crysis 3 and Metal Gear Rising Revengeance will have 3D on PS3. Sony didn't make any of those games, and they're all past/present/future hits.
hyabusha  +   923d ago
I LOVE 3D!! And I think with the next-gen's console power, we will finally be able to truly enjoy the FULL benefit of 3D Gaming!!
Gamer39  +   923d ago
Agree 100%.
hennessey86  +   923d ago
Lol at all
The 3d gives me headaches so its rubbish comments. 3D is brilliant for movies and for PC gaming, hopefully next gen consoles will be able to do 3d without sacrafising image quality.
waylinbouliane7   923d ago | Spam
contradictory  +   923d ago
personally couldn't care less
i don't like 3D because it makes my eyes get tired
and then i have migrane and ugggh.... my brain basically kills itself
Belking  +   923d ago
Nope. MS/Samsung, Kinect/IllumiRoom is the future. Cheaper and easier on the eyes.
#17 (Edited 923d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(11) | Report | Reply
USEYOURFIST  +   923d ago
Though it would be 100x better in 3d...like in oculus rift which has far more potential for immersion in its current form, so I'd have to disagree with you at the mo...oh and as you know how much illiumiroom is can you let me know as it would be good to know
#17.1 (Edited 923d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
cleverusername  +   923d ago
When done well 3D totally blows 2D out of the water! Game or movie, no contest!!
cleverusername  +   923d ago
People these days go around in false glasses because of fashion and sunglasses when it isn't even that sunny but they slate 3D off because they don't want to wear the glasses!!
vlonjati77  +   923d ago
I respect everyones' opinion,but 3d is great if you can afford it.its in human nature when someone cant afford(in generally)they will make up excuses to make them feel better.
I couldnt afford 3d tv when it was 5000 dollars but it was great when i would watch in display stores.finally i can afford it and bought one 3D LG tv(I usually buy Sony products) but at the time july last year LG was the only one with the passive 3d technology avvailable so I bought it,its awesome.
The other thing I like about it its that when i play off line co-op there is not splitscreen.As for 4k displays I will buy it when it will be afordable for my budget( I work).obviously there are people that maybe dont like 3d.But its a no brainer lets b honest.watching in 3d its Better than in 2d,im talking about movies.for games they are good but next gen they will be clearer.
P.S to all of you lazy fkers-get a job and learn how to save and appreciate money(although for most of you -are the parents fault that dont teach you the right and wrong in life.In case any1 reads and disagree dont bother answering cause i dont care,important is that I agree with my self.
Batzi  +   923d ago
Sony did a good job at leaving 3D out of the Vita and they should do the same with PS4. 3D is annoying whether it was for movies or games. It's just a fail technology. Hurts the eyes.
#21 (Edited 923d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
Baka-akaB  +   923d ago
The whole "3d is dead" angle is funny . It's no longer a topic because it's already there to stay . Every newer tv set includes it by default , it's already included in tons of theaters movies or blurays and , it's presence is only increasing on pc monitors as well .

What will change now are the means to provides 3d , glasses free or not .
#22 (Edited 923d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Batzi  +   923d ago
Hologram is far more interesting than 3D technology.
Baka-akaB  +   923d ago
who cares , not my point .3d is already integrated by default in all tv sets and most blockbusters of the year , that's all i'm saying .
FightFans  +   923d ago
I think they would implement it just for future proof.
cyclindk  +   923d ago
I'm sure as a passive option, just like additional audio or video options, resolution, et cetera.
DEEBO  +   923d ago
I love 3d,i had a optima projector with a 120inch screen but it broke two times,had a warranty at best buy.i took it back and got a Lg47inch passive 3d led tv.it was a good tv but the trumotion was no install in the tv so i took it back lol,now i have a 50inch 3d panasonic plasma and i luv it!3d is cool with games and movies.one thing though,tv 3d looks better then a projector and passive is cool and cheap(glasses are like 12 dollars)but active has a better sharper picture.and the lesson for to day is always get a warranty.
kevnb  +   923d ago
well its up to the game developers for that, so far 3d has failed miserably.
TheDivine  +   923d ago
I love it but I can't watch or play for too long. Why not have it as its not really much added cost these days. If you don't like it don't use it. It is best on a huge screen like a projector or at the movies but its also equally dope on the 3ds IMO. Glasses free is awesome and it works well on a dedicated screen right in your face.
thedon8982z  +   921d ago
I have a playstation 3d display and a samsung 55inch 3d led (2011 model). I can say 3d is fun as hell but the problem is it needs more AAA content like sports games and FPS. I wish Farcry 3, battlfield 3 , grand theft auto 5, Mass effect 3 were optimized for 3d gaming without the hit on framerates or resolution; then we would see 3d really take off because the price is diffinitly coming down.

Spider: Rite of the Shrouded Moon - Official Trailer | PS4, PS Vita

1h ago - A secret society built Blackbird Estate for a specific reason. Not even the family living there t... | PS4

MechaNika Review: Not As Innocent As She Appears | AppUnwrapper

1h ago - AppUnwrapper writes: "MechaNika, by Mango Protocol, is a very odd little game. It has a cutesy, h... | PC

VII Things That Final Fantasy VII Cannot Lose!

Now - We’re going to see a lot of changes before the upcoming FFVII - Remake sees the light of day and we should be okay with that. But here is our list... | Promoted post

Planet Minecraft Contest Underwater Wonderland; Deep Sea Submission

1h ago - From the creators behind BlockWorks, they submitted one of the best builds in the Planet Minecraf... | PC

9 Games That Are Better Played Drunk

1h ago - There’s only one thing that can top an all-night gaming session with friends, and that’s an all n... | Culture

Best Buy Deal of the Day: Buy One 3DS Game, Get 50% Off 2nd

1h ago - Gamerdeals: "Buy One 3DS Game, Get 50% Off 2nd as part of the Best Buy Deal of the Day!" | 3DS