Submitted by Lavalamp 1041d ago | opinion piece

The Slow, Excruciating Death Of Final Fantasy

Kotaku: "As someone who grew up with the adventures of Cecil and Terra, I find it depressing to even write, but here we are. It's 2013, and Final Fantasy is on its last legs. The 25-year-old RPG series is a shell of its former self. When we see a new Final Fantasy game, our first reaction is no longer 'awesome!'—it is 'sh*t, how are they going to ruin my childhood next?' I've written before about some of the problems facing Final Fantasy, and even drawn up wish lists of things I'd like to see Square Enix try to do, but All The Bravest is yet another piece of disturbing evidence that this company no longer cares about its fans." (Culture, Final Fantasy: All The Bravest)

Snookies12  +   1041d ago
Oh Tidus... How I wish any Final Fantasy game past yours was even half as good as FFX...
#1 (Edited 1041d ago ) | Agree(19) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Blastoise  +   1041d ago
Lol funny picture though.

To be fair I do think Final Fantasy 12 was a totally awesome game. It should have been a spin-off, because it was so insanely different. But it was awesome none the less

Check out how impressive the graphics were, pretty good for a PS2

Related image(s)
#1.1 (Edited 1041d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
guitarded77  +   1041d ago
I'm with you on XII... Dare I say... I liked the gameplay in XII better than X. Yeah , I said it. But anything after XII I didn't care for.
#1.1.1 (Edited 1041d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(0) | Report
VileAndVicious  +   1041d ago
I loved everything about XII except the story. I believe I played it longer than any other FF game. There was so much to do
Blastoise  +   1041d ago

I agree, the story was weak. I still have no idea what it was about...something about "Magicite" lol

Goes to show how epic the gameplay was and how much there was to do that the confusing story didn't really affect the fun I had
#1.1.3 (Edited 1041d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(1) | Report
Snookies12  +   1041d ago
Yeah, XII's biggest problem was the story... I've beaten it 3 times and STILL have no idea what is going on. It's just too boring for my mind to care at times. Also, most of the characters are kind of bland. (With the exception of Balthier, he was kind of awesome.)

The gameplay was wonderful though, had tons of stuff to do. :]

Also... Gilgamesh... Yeah... Him being in as a boss fight gets extra points.
#1.1.4 (Edited 1041d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(2) | Report
VileAndVicious  +   1041d ago
The fact that the story was so bland was very strange to me considering that the game came from the same team that made the original FF tactics and Vagrant Story. IMO those two games had the most robust stories ever seen in any RPG, especially for the time period they were made.
DragonKnight  +   1041d ago
Final Fantasy can return to greatness the second they stop letting Toriyama direct the games. He's the one making all the terrible decisions and just ruining everything.
aLucidMind  +   1041d ago
I agree; I really liked XII, with my only real complaint being how I would have preferred the main character have been Basch or Balthier+Fran been the main characters. Or have it alternate among all as that would have been perfect for the political story due to the very diverse, sometimes contrasting personalities between each individual in the group.
Outside_ofthe_Box  +   1041d ago
Totally agree about FFXII. I felt the battle system while not perfect was a step in the right direction, but FFXIII took a thousand steps back with it's battle system.
DigitalRaptor  +   1040d ago
@ DragonKnight

I can believe that. Toriyama hasn't worked on Type-0 or Versus XIII. Coincidence? I think not.
#1.1.9 (Edited 1040d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
JacKnife   1041d ago | Spam
WilliamH  +   1041d ago
For a long time Final Fantasy was the most beloved series in gaming. What Square-Enix has done to the series is shameful. I'm afraid to say it's probably too late to revive it now. Thank god we have Level 5 & NI NO KUNI!!!!!!
Godmars290  +   1041d ago
Going back to characters based around a class, are in a world where not everyone has special powers, would be a change back towards the right direction.
guitarded77  +   1041d ago
That's an interesting comment. I was so distracted by world map design and linearity that I hadn't really thought about that part of it.
Godmars290  +   1041d ago
They just need to go back to basics period. Ever since FF8 they moved away from the mechanics of the series while keeping and focusing on identifiable elements like chocobos.
refocusedman  +   1041d ago
I truly miss the Kefka days or even FF 9 with Vivi. With every iteration FF becomes more and more like a japanese version of mass effect.
animegamingnerd  +   1041d ago
before you know it we are going to have another final fantasy shooter wouldn't be surprise if that is what 15 is
rextraordinaire  +   1041d ago
Never mention Dirge of Cerberus again. Some things are better left forgotten.

Oh, the pain.
doogiebear  +   1041d ago
SMT series and Persona is the new king of JRPG's now
animegamingnerd  +   1041d ago
persona 4 > over any final fantasy

oh yeah i said it and am prepare to get a lot of thumb downs
VileAndVicious  +   1041d ago
just a question. Why do so many people love Persona 4 so much? Ive played ALL of the Persona games (even Nocturne and Digital Devil) and I always thought that Persona 4 while fun, was no where near as awesome as Persona 3. Maybe it was because 4 was so lighthearted but I just thought that its characters and story just were not on the same level.
#5.1.1 (Edited 1041d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report
DragonKnight  +   1041d ago
"persona 4 > over any final fantasy"

*looks at persona series global recognition*

*looks at final fantasy series global recognition*

"persona 4 > over any final fantasy"

Related image(s)
Snookies12  +   1041d ago
@VileAndVicious - I played both Persona 3 and 4. While Persona 3 had a better premise, Persona 4 wins hands down with characters. 3's characters were just too drab and serious. I liked 4 because it knew when to take things seriously, yet could still be lighthearted a moment later. There was a great mix of that in the game. All of Persona 4's characters had a really bright and exuberant personality. Story-wise they were both fantastic there, no need for comparisons in that department.
#5.1.3 (Edited 1041d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report
chrispseuphoria  +   1041d ago
I am sure Final Fantasy will be back to normal after the XIII series. Have you seen Versus XIII in action anyone? That trailer makes that game look crazy good! I just wish they would focus on that rather than Lightning Returns. Oh, and also, Yoichi Wada, the CEO of Square, has stated that Versus XIII is still in production to all the haters out there.

While we next for the next great Final Fantasy game, I would recommend Persona 4. It has an excellent turn based system and some of the best voice acting I've heard in years. This game will last you a long time as well. I'm 40 hours in and I'm still going through the main story.

Tales of Graces f, on the PS3, also is great for those who want a cheesy but fun ride with an action RPG.
#6 (Edited 1041d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
DragonKnight  +   1041d ago
Wada can say whatever he wants, his actions prove he doesn't care about Versus. He's pulled everyone off it and FFXHD for Lightning Returns and FFXIV.
refocusedman  +   1041d ago
?????? In action, I dont think anyone has seen Vs in action (I dont count the trailers). Im sorry but I have a very hard time time getting excited for a game that Ive seen very little of since they announced it in 06. Thats almost 7 years ago! Lol a few more years and its gonna be headed in duke nuke'em territory. And dont try to label me a hater because I have little faith in an executive who states that a game is still being made so the company wont face the backlash of angry fans. How abt 3 FF 13's have been made and we have just abt as much info on Vs as we did 7 yrs ago when they announced it.
#6.2 (Edited 1041d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
PooEgg  +   1040d ago
Versus = Duke Nukem of FF.

I am not holding my breath.
pixelsword  +   1041d ago

At any rate, I'm just replacing my favorites with new ones.

I replaced Castlevania with Demons' Souls, for example.
#7 (Edited 1041d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Blastoise  +   1041d ago
Ahhh Castlevania, another franchise lost...

Not a fan of the Lords of Shadow series, I gotta say.
TheTwelve  +   1041d ago
I dislike Kotaku so much that even though I agree with them here, I'm still not opening up the full article, haha.

Anyway, what annoys me the most are the little kids still buying the trash that is Final Fantasy today. If people boycotted S-E, we'd probably have the real FF games again.

pixelsword  +   1041d ago
Now I remember, Kotaku sounds like something that Japanese Ronald McDonald says in Mugen.
#8 (Edited 1041d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
titans9999  +   1041d ago
It is a shame. I also grew up with this series, actually, I was in college when ff4 came out, and loved the after years addition. Hopefully one day, someone will save the series!
Knight_Crawler  +   1041d ago
The only people that can save the series is Mistwalker.
animegamingnerd  +   1041d ago
agree the last story was better then game with the name final fantasy in the title in the last decade
PooEgg  +   1040d ago

True. When Sakaguchi walked away from SquareEnix he took the fun with him.
RogueStatus28  +   1041d ago
Bravely Default FF (Triple A 3DS game)... Closest think you'd get to Final Fantasy, by Square too
#10 (Edited 1041d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
rawshack  +   1041d ago
now we are talking
Shadow Man  +   1041d ago
currently playing star ocean on my ps3 :)
rextraordinaire  +   1041d ago
snes days won't ever come back, will they?

Seriously, if someone would be kind enough to de-make FFXIII onto 16bits technology, I'd gladly play it.
jagstar44  +   1041d ago
if versus sucks i think the franchise is beyond help.
titans9999  +   1041d ago
I still like the ff games, just not as much as the past games. All I can say is, thank god for Bethesda, bugs and all!
Shuyin  +   1041d ago
I don't give a fuck about future FFs anymore. I've lost all faith in SE. The only game I want is Versus because it looks promising so far. Just gimme my FFX HD and gtfo Square Enix. That's everything I need to be happy..
Tei777  +   1041d ago
In my opinion we've only had 2 misteps.

1. The disappointing FFXIII
2. The overall agenda for the square to milk the franchise with unnecessary spin offs.

To me the true series only lies in the main numbered title. So I automatically dismiss all of the negative press on the sequels but I do wish Square would stop making them,I miss the days when all FF titles were followed by a roman numeral and it ended there. As such I'm simply waiting for number XV to gage whether the franchise is going downhill (although the overall brand is). To me, its like judging 3D mario through all the mediocre spinoffs and rehashed 2D titles. So After the dissappointment of sunshine, I'm waiting on galaxy. I'm obviously excited for vsXIII too but in my opinion it should be considered separate from the main franchise.
#17 (Edited 1041d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
capitanandi  +   1040d ago
I'm sure I'm alone here when I say that I thought XIII wasn't bad. It just wasn't great.

Halo: The Fall of Reach Release Coming December 1st 2015

52m ago - Halo fans will be able to purchase via video on demand, DVD and Blu-Ray the animated Halo: The Fa... | Xbox 360

How OG surprised the world at the Frankfurt Major

52m ago - We take a close look at OG’s incredible lower bracket run at the Dota 2 Frankfurt Major. | PC

PS4 Games To Look Out For In November 2015

Now - With all the amazing titles still to come this year, Releases.com thought it would do you a favor and make it a little bit easier to keep track of... | Promoted post

New Gameplay Footage Shown Off for Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4

53m ago - Hardcore Gamer: In it, we get a look at Kakashi, Naruto's longtime sensei. The gameplay shows off... | PC

King’s Quest: An Interview with Zelda Williams

53m ago - GodisaGeek: "As part of his trip to LA to visit The Odd Gentlemen’s studio, and play King’s Quest... | PC

Taking Down the Bosses of Bloodborne: The Old Hunters

53m ago - Hardcore Gamer: Having trouble fighting your way through the various new bosses in Bloodborne’s e... | PS4