Submitted by linkkjm 1041d ago | opinion piece

Top Gaming Franchises that Need to Die

These franchises have grown out of control. Join me as i look at the top franchise that just simply need to go away. (GameCube, Industry, PC, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360)

linkkjm  +   1041d ago
Honorable Mention: Angry Birds

Whats next? Angry Birds: Django Unchained
TheSuperior  +   1041d ago
Angry Birds: DUB Edition
tachy0n  +   1041d ago

and the sequel!

Angry Birds: DUB Edition Remix.
linkkjm  +   1041d ago
I'm not gonna lie, I might pay 99 cents for that.
knowyourstuff  +   1041d ago
I guess this guy forgot about Need for Speed Shift and Shift 2, there's tons of customization, body kits, performance upgrades, the works. It just had a terrible interface that wasn't very user friendly.
Fragger2k8  +   1041d ago
Angry Birds: Tweetnam Style
Detoxx  +   1041d ago
Angry Birds: Premium Edition, pre-order now!
HammadTheBeast  +   1040d ago

Shift was terrible because it was too "controlled" I play NFS for the high speed street races.
showtimefolks  +   1041d ago
or how about this, just don't buy these anymore? publishers spend a lot of money to introduce a new IP so when its established and has a fan base why would they kill it?

its takes a lot of money to make a AAA game, development cost can range from 40-60 million on average in 2-3 years of development. That doesn't include advertisement budget.

i am not a NFS fan so i don't buy NFS games, but i know my friends who buy them so its fine by me. I just don't like this gamer opinion of if i don't like a series it should die.

now it wouldn't hurt for some of these IP's to go away for 2-4 years and than make another game to generate some more fans/hype
morkendo23  +   1041d ago
I've been a fan of NFS since 3DO. nfs need to die off now that criterion took over. auto-log really??? who need that sh't and burnout engine really??. where is original back to it's root they promise??.... that was my BEST ALL TIME racing game outside GRAN TURISMO now it sucks.
#1.3 (Edited 1041d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
linkkjm  +   1041d ago
I couldn't agree with you more.
xursz  +   1041d ago
I have to disagree with both of you. NFS really did take a turn for the worst when trying to get into the sim genre but it's been on the fast road to recovery since Hot Pursuit was OK, but more appropriately Most Wanted. The online modes and all that are tremendous fun but all we need now is the reintroduction of full customization and we're back to the Need for Speed of old.

edit: spelling
#1.3.2 (Edited 1041d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report
chukamachine  +   1040d ago
Blackbird cracks all the white eggs.:)
profgerbik  +   1040d ago
LOL made me laugh so hard.
lilmetal  +   1041d ago
I wouldn't go so far as to say that the Final Fantasy franchise needs to die, but they should definitely consider dropping the "Final Fantasy" name from any new games...

It'd be easy enough to call them anything else, and nothing would be lost.
TheSuperior  +   1041d ago
Great list! Need for Speed is definatly past its prime.
Ranma1  +   1041d ago
its Yoichi Wada who needs to die off/f*ck off
THESHAUNZY  +   1041d ago
angrh birds for sure!!!
xJumpManx  +   1041d ago
Pokemon and Lego games need to go away. But all these are just opinions on persons opinions. I like Need for speed and its yearly itterations its one of the last few good arcade racing games you can count on every year.
guitarded77  +   1041d ago
I'll give the author 007 and MoH... both series have gone to ___. But Need for Speed has actually been getting better over the past few games, although they do spit out a new game too soon after another. Also Sonic has had some great retro downloadable re-boots lately and is getting better titles than earlier this generation.
Decaf_PIxel_Kat  +   1041d ago
Final Fantasy needs to go! I don't kind Sonic so much though.
black911  +   1041d ago
Madden. While I love John Madden (Former Raiders Coach). This us the same game every year. I really miss NFL 2K

Also Resident Evil
#8 (Edited 1041d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
AmkOwns  +   1041d ago
Call of duty...
shivvy24  +   1041d ago
wheres cod ?
DeadManMcCarthy  +   1041d ago
medal of honor has passed it's expiration date. it dominated in the late 90s and early 2000s but now it's horrible.
aliengmr  +   1041d ago
Was 007 ever really alive to begin with? Yea Goldeneye was great, but its greatness had very little to do with the Bond franchise. I think it needs a chance, so I'll disagree with that one.
dlpg585  +   1041d ago
how many of these "series that need to die" are gonna come out? i've read this same rehashed article 10 times.

final fantasy seems to be on it every time as well. I enjoyed final fantasy XIII and final fantasy XII. While i'm sure that many of you want the old, menu based gameplay to return (which it very well might) i like the new ground that their digging.

and this "abandoning kingdom hearts" is just bull. My personal favorite in the series is birth by sleep.
TheOneEyedHound  +   1041d ago
Mario Party... I am sorry but it's Gotz Tu Go.
omi25p  +   1040d ago
They should go back to the third person shooter with James Bond, Make it more like 007 Everything or nothing and not just a re-skinned COD.

So basically the only way it will do well is if Activision sell it.
Dark_Overlord  +   1040d ago
I don't think we'll see another Bond game by Activision for the foreseeable future, they'll lose the rights to develop the games next year, and have already pulled all the Bond games off Steam.

TheGrimBunny  +   1040d ago
Interesting topic.
Gekko  +   1040d ago
Sonic shouldn't be on that list any more considering his last two games were actually pretty good. It's funny how he says it lacks serious innovation because the same thing could be said about Mario. Give him a break not death.
#17 (Edited 1040d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
icecoldfire  +   1040d ago
I always preferred Sonic to Mario, so yeah Mario needs to be finish NOW and FOREVER, until someone comes up with a gritty reboot( I am giving this AWESOME IDEA FOR FREE GAME DEVS.)
#18 (Edited 1040d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
icecoldfire  +   1040d ago

EDIT:Damn it, double post!
#19 (Edited 1040d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Tzuno  +   1040d ago
Die SIMS dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!
radiocaf  +   1040d ago
I agree with the Need for Speed franchise, although Criterion have made it amazing with their two entries in the series, but I, too, miss the customization.

As for Medal of Honor, I disagree, the series is much better now than it has ever been for me. Both the last two games I have really enjoyed!
profgerbik  +   1040d ago
I don't think Sonic should die, I just think Sonic has taken the direction that Mario has.

I still miss Sonic how it was on the Dreamcast to me that was the most fun I have ever had with any Sonic game even till today. Same with older Mario games.
#22 (Edited 1040d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
kupomogli  +   1040d ago
Can't look at the list because the website keeps coming back as server not found so it could be down right now.

Here's a franchise I think needs to die though. Musou. Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Xtreme, Empires, Gundam Dynasty Warriors, etc. One of the worst franchises ever.
dtweiuiusdfi   1040d ago | Spam
Th3 Chr0nic  +   1040d ago
This isnt news for gamers its an opinion piece that is way off the mark

the last NFS was good and is good.
USMC_POLICE  +   1040d ago
Disagree on medal of honor and need for speed hot pursuit was amazing. What about CALL OF DUTY that needs to die!

LucasArts Style Adventure Thimbleweed Park Keeps Chugging Along

50m ago - Serena Nelson writes: "Thimbleweed Park is about two washed-up detectives that suspiciously look... | PC

The Braselspective: Super Mario Maker

1h ago - Tony Brasel of Gaming Rebellion breaks down all of the major parts of Super Mario Maker to examin... | Wii U

PS4 Games To Look Out For In November 2015

Now - With all the amazing titles still to come this year, Releases.com thought it would do you a favor and make it a little bit easier to keep track of... | Promoted post

8WNterview: Ackk Studios Talks YIIK & Chromophore, Death, and Fixing Mistakes

3h ago - 8-Worlds News talks to Ackk Studios' Brian Allanson on upcoming titles YIIK: A Post-Modern RPG an... | Wii U

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters – How to Get to Hunter’s Nightmare

3h ago - Bloodborne’s first expansion, The Old Hunters, takes place in another realm called The Hunter’s N... | PS4

The Roach Approach - Battlefront for under $600 | PC Gaming Enthusiast

3h ago - Check out Jake Roach's November build where he builds a system that can run Battlefront for under... | PC