Submitted by strangelove 455d ago | news

Prepare Your Playstations, Ni No Kuni Is Massive

If you're looking to go on a magical adventure on your PS3 next week, then you better start making space for it. Judging by the size of the game's Japanese download, we've got quite a bit of waiting ahead of us. (Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, PS3)

Alternative Sources
Catoplepas  +   455d ago
Who the hell cares?
Snookies12  +   455d ago
People with small hard drives maybe? Even those who simply don't have much space left on theirs.
#1.1 (Edited 455d ago ) | Agree(53) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Kran  +   455d ago
Its not that much of a price stretch to get a bigger hard drive though :/

well... not where i live anyhow.
#1.1.1 (Edited 455d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(17) | Report
TopDudeMan  +   455d ago
Well, why don't you just get the boxed copy? It's cheaper that way, too.
Starfox811  +   455d ago
It's pretty cheap to upgrade a harddrive to something that doesn't matter, but as I have Ni No Kuni it's only 4.5gb install from the disk, which is pretty standard for a PS3 game now.
Enemy  +   455d ago
Isn't the physical copy a dual layered BD? So 50GB. Not sure why this surprises anyone. If you want the game completely installed on your HDD you'll need a lot of space. A lot of PS3 exclusives are this huge, actually.
KingKevo  +   455d ago
Or you just buy it on a Blu-Ray... *facepalm*

Edit: After reading more comments I'm not sure if everybody knows that the article is about the digital version of the game and NOT the install size for the BD-copy of the game.
#1.1.5 (Edited 455d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(1) | Report
joab777  +   454d ago
I have bought a few digital games on ps3 but I think I'll go physical for this one. not because I don't have room because I want to play on Tuesday, not Wednesday, lol.
Krew_92  +   454d ago
True, I'm running out of space just now, I'll have to delete the almost equal in size Street Fighter PS+ free game, I'd rather have Ni No Kuni any day than Street Fighter IV.
kevnb  +   454d ago
delete something?
insomnium2  +   454d ago
I think it's funny that THE ONLY article about Ni No Kuni that is even close on being on the top is the one saying something that can be considered as negative. This site sure is driven by PS3 fanboys....

There are perfect reviews out there and the articles pop up and die down immediately.

This game has got to HURT so many peoples' feelings that they feel the need to take the positive articles down and hope that everyone forgets about this game. Too bad for you I already pre-ordered it :)

Now mark me for trolling.
#1.1.9 (Edited 454d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(4) | Report
aceitman  +   455d ago
since when does a downloaded game become double the size .19 becomes 38 . never had that happen.
strangelove  +   455d ago
The Playstation requires you to have at least double the size of the download to install it on your PS3. The download doesn't become 40GBs, you just have to have 40GBs free to install it.
#1.2.1 (Edited 455d ago ) | Agree(17) | Disagree(3) | Report
xursz  +   455d ago
this is not exclusive to Playstation. it's basically just how installs work.
Larry L  +   455d ago
Actually xursz, that's the old way installs work. Most newer devices don't need double the space for the older process of download>install>delete download. Like the Vita doesn't need double the space. You download the file and when you start it up for the first time it just does a very quick install process and you play. And I havn't used my PSP in a long time except to use my digital comics, but I don't think that needed double the space to download and install. And 360 installs as it downloads, so while I'm not 100% sure, I don't think that needs double space either.

I love PS3. But it does use a dated way of downloading and installing digital stuff. And it didn't really become an issue until later into this gen when the majority of gamers are now online and comfortable with digital commerce. It won't be an issue on Sony's next hardware, I'm sure.
Squall5005  +   455d ago
To put it simply:

19GB of free space to download it.
19GB of free space to install it.

Then install file will then delete itself and you will get 19GB of space back.

Standard stuff.

But does anyone seriously buy brand new games from PSN? It's cheaper everywhere else, it takes up much less space, you get a nice shiny case and blooklet and you can sell it on if you ever get bored of it.

Madness!
#1.2.4 (Edited 455d ago ) | Agree(37) | Disagree(0) | Report
KingKevo  +   455d ago
@ Squall5005:

I do agree with you 100%, but the thing about thebooklet made me laugh. It's sad how only very few games have a cool booklet nowadays that are in color, with cool artworks and some story details, that sometimes couldn't be found anywhere else, not even in the game itself (#Nostalgia). But I guess RPG are still more likely to have these, but your comment just made me think back when it was the standard to have a good booklet.
strangelove  +   455d ago
40gigs out of a 160GB hard drive would kill my PSN game library. I'd certainly like to know before I put money into my PSN wallet. Plus the whole downloading 19 gigs is going to take some people days.
Axe99  +   455d ago
The PSN store tells you how big the DL is before you buy, so you're safe there (well, unless you don't read the store info). The size of the DL is fairly standard for a full-sized, HD game. You can always buy the retail version if you don't have a hard-drive big enough for downloading full games.
Godchild1020  +   455d ago
People who live in Europe that bought a 12GB console and didn't purchase a bigger Hard Drive, and looking forward to downloading this title, maybe.

The size is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. That's what see said.
Godchild1020  +   455d ago
That's what she said. My big fail at my own bad joke.
#1.4.1 (Edited 455d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(1) | Report
Hoje0308  +   455d ago
The first step is admitting you have a problem.
Root  +   455d ago
A lot of people proberly
#1.5 (Edited 455d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Ranma1  +   455d ago
38 giga bytes !!!! wow.

But if more sales are made through digital downloads its better for the developer as they can cut out the retailer and make a bigger profit.

Side note: i think sony should provide high capacity ps4's to push digital downloads on PS4
#1.6 (Edited 455d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
dedicatedtogamers  +   455d ago
It's sad. I remember "back in the day" when it was announced that such-and-such game used two, three, or more discs, gamers were like "OH SNAP! That is so awesome! It must be a huge game!"

But nowadays, whenever it is announced that such-and-such game uses multiple discs, or if it is announced that it takes up 15+ Gb of hard drive space, everyone goes "durrrr! Fail! Sony fails! Microsoft fails! DVD9 fails!"
@1st comment

You mad!!
#1.8 (Edited 455d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
showtimefolks  +   455d ago
500GB welcomes you ni nu kuni

hard drives are cheap so spend $50-60 and buy a bigger HD, its not like MS where you have to buy it from them to use it on xbox360.

newegg usually has the best prices for hard drives
cannon8800  +   455d ago
@Catoplepas You ask, "Who the hell cares?" Yet you cared to take your time to write on an article that doesn't interest you?

Logical Fallacy level 100
#1.10 (Edited 455d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
clarkejason224   455d ago | Spam
PhoenixRising37  +   455d ago
i do
The_Infected  +   454d ago
I wish Sony had Gaikai out and for those of us who have a good Internet would have the option to stream a game of this size.
calibann  +   454d ago
You guys have no idea how jealous I am right now. You PS3 bastards better play the shit out of this game for me, cause I never will :( (PC not-so-master race)
BlmThug  +   454d ago
You could just buy a PS3 for cheap :)
andrewsqual  +   454d ago
And LA Noire is a fucking 21gb download on 360, assuming it can support Games on Demand, what is the big deal?
disturbing_flame  +   455d ago
Massive, that what you expect from a Game of The Year contender. =)
GribbleGrunger  +   455d ago
It will be no where near 38GB. Anyone who bought the 12GB model and decide to download the game, will immediately see that they cannot accommodate the size and opt for the disc version. Those in the know will upgrade their hard drive, if they haven't already. It IS a problem, but a small one that is offset by the need to sell PS3s. Even if a percentage of those that bought the 12GB are put off and don't end up buying the game at all (which is unlikely) it will be more than compensated for by extra consoles sold because of the 12GBs cheaper entry point, and these people add to the amount of people that buy the disc version.

lol. I don't understand that myself and I've just written it!
#3 (Edited 455d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
League_of_Draven  +   455d ago
I'd rather buy the disc than download it so this isn't a problem for me.
clearelite  +   455d ago
I prefer to own a physical copy of any high quality game! Ni No Kuni is CERTAINLY no exception.

I'm actually thinking of getting the Wizard/special edition. I've been keeping my eyes on this game for possibly years.
#4.1 (Edited 455d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
banjadude  +   455d ago
Wizard Edition for North America is completely gone. You can try EBAY, but those guys are price scalping like crazy.
izumo_lee  +   455d ago
The max size for a Blu-ray is 50GB dual layered so obviously an exclusive game using that disc is going to be big.

This is not a DVD 9 game you know. /s
Menchi  +   455d ago
Right, this article isn't suffering from a misleading title, at all.

There doesn't appear to be a mandatory install, as far as I know, and this data size quoted, is for the DL version, which, of course, will be big, as it is an entire game.
abzdine  +   455d ago
it is ready just give me that thing NOW!!!
why id it delayed in Europe, WHYYYYYYY ?
BanBrother  +   455d ago
Because they couldn't fit the Ni No Kuni shipments alongside all those FIFA games /s

I honestly don't know why, some stupid embargo, or maybe it was a business decision. Maybe different spelling in the game box, and they only manufacture 1 regions at a time? I honestly have no idea. Best to avoid the internet though, spoilers.....
LAWSON72  +   455d ago
At least it aint like some pc games, hitman absolution i believe is 30gb then again most games are at 10-15.
cannon8800  +   455d ago
Hitman Absolution on my pc is about 23.6gb but it's high either way. Expect games to be like that for next gen. Maybe even higher.
banjadude  +   455d ago
Total War: Shogun 2 is massive too, and that's NOT including the expansion packs. *whistle*
CLOUD1983  +   455d ago
Another reason u cant do a JRPG of grand scale like Ni No Kuni on XCRAP, world map & open world is out of the question & that was the reason FFXIII was dumped down & it was packed with loading screens left & right, btw did any1 remember this http://cache.kotaku.com/ass... ridiculous..

So with few words as long M$ keep their dirty money away from JRPGs & JPN in general as no1 care about Gears & Halo or the console in general there then we can still hope to get more games like Ni No Kuni in the future, did u hear that XBOTS continue playing your shooters & make it clear to M$ that u r not interesting about JRPGs until M$ get it & continue to invest on more & more shooters for u to play.
Kennytaur  +   455d ago
If you're going to troll, at least have the decency to keep away from using numbers in words. It just makes you look sad.
Kennytaur  +   455d ago
Get it physical, problem solved and you get a nice box in the process.
Summons75  +   455d ago
This is one reason why I don't buy digital, takes up too much space. Not to mention I would never truly own the game unlike having a physical copy that I can do what I want with. Oh well 19 gigs is highly worth it for a quality title like Ni No Kuni. Sucks for the Super Slim owners.
WeAreLegion  +   455d ago
Why does that suck for Super Slim owners? I don't get it.
Godchild1020  +   455d ago
Why does that suck for Super Slim users? When you buy a Super Slim you get more HDD space then a person buying a Slim, unless you live in Europe and bought the 12GB one.

Also, you can still replace the Hard Drive in the super slim.

Ni No Kuni and that white Super Slim.
#11.2 (Edited 455d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Belking  +   455d ago
No thank you.
Ezz2013  +   454d ago
i know you don't own ps3
stop the BS dude

and it's clear you didn't even read the article which is talking about the game size
not the install
#12.1 (Edited 454d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Belking  +   454d ago
I happen to own two of them and i did read the article. Next game I actually buy for PS3 will be Last of Us and that's it til next gen. All other will be either rented, borrowed, or bought for xbox360.
solidjun5  +   453d ago
Please stop. You're like the Manti Te'o of N4G.
Outside_ofthe_Box  +   454d ago
You don't have one. No need to lie.
Ezz2013  +   453d ago
yeah sure
you own two ps3s
and i own 900 ps3 and 900 xbox and 4 pc
Dno  +   455d ago
nothing that a good ol' fashioned blu-ray disk can't handle
dsghjuydfhtrhe   455d ago | Spam
WeskerChildReborned  +   455d ago
Holy sh*t 19 GB? That must be one big game but how long does it take to download lol?
Godchild1020  +   455d ago
I think it will depend on your internet speed. It took me an hour or so to download Darksiders (10GB), so I'm expecting a 2-3 hour download period and install for Ni No Kuni.
isyourhouseonfire  +   455d ago
Does anyone actually play these childish cartoon games?
Treian  +   455d ago
It's called an art style, which your brain is too small to understand.
KrimsonKody  +   455d ago
...Said the guy/gal who trolls video game posts...
:^\
hylandpad  +   454d ago
clearly you dont understand Studio ghibli. The art style is cartoonish, but the underlying message of the films (and this game) is something that can appeal to all ages.
Romudeth  +   455d ago
As many have already said, BUY THE RETAIL COPY. Problem solved.
KrimsonKody  +   455d ago
...getting the game at retail;
Priceless!

Uh, minus the cost for the purchase of the game,
But still...
Kenshin_BATT0USAI  +   455d ago
Insanely misleading. This article made me think two things;

a) the install is massive, but this is talking about the full game download/install which is a very different thing.

b) the game itself is large and massive, which apparently it is, which is great!
banjadude  +   455d ago
lol, me too. I thought they were going to say the disc install was 32GB.
Raoh  +   455d ago
Welcome to your digital future. It is a pain, I got Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition from playstation plus, 18GB. Don't even get me started on DC Universe and its DLC.

But I put a 320gb HD in my ps3 since day one, I do well with it, I could upgrade but hopefully PS4 is around the corner.

I actually got my hd for free from work, spare laptop drive laying around. You can get up to a 1tb hard drive for about $100 or less. (It's the same hard drive as the one in the 360, they just put in a cheap plastic casing and lock the software and charge you more for less hd space)

I'm getting the disc version of this game, the demo was awesome.

Downloading that much data sucks though, hopefully sony will work some magic next gen with the gaikai technology.

I'd even deal with longer install times in exchange for faster download time. My pc downloads incredibly fast, but they can take for ever to install. And something may not install right or require a restart.

Oh and if your done with the game, uninstall the game data as well. I know it sucks, but, you sometimes have to do that, some of you probably have a lot more space available than you think.
#20 (Edited 455d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
HaVoK308  +   454d ago
Retail Disk via Amazon.com
Drainage  +   454d ago
19 GB is nothing lmao! Cmon its 2013. I expect 80GB for a game to be "massive"
dafegamer  +   454d ago
considering that the highest amount of a blu ray disk is 50 gb, i call shenanigans at your post
MartinB105  +   454d ago
Does anyone really care? Digital versions are always more expensive than they are on Amazon anyway, so I wouldn't buy this digitally even with my PS3's 1TB HDD.
Rebo00  +   454d ago
I went from a 60GB HDD then to a 360GB and now to 1TB, in both cases I ran out of space because of Playstation Plus games :-) but here are the numbers I recorded:
For anyone who has or is going to get a PS3 put a 1TB HDD in straight away.
I went from 40GB to 320GB and now to 1TB.
I had to resize an existing NTFS partition on an external drive which took about 4hours, backup 320GB which took 21hours, restore the data 8hours.
Total Time: 33hours
BrianC6234  +   454d ago
I'm not getting that game but I have 175GB free right now so no big deal. This is the big problem I see though if people really think games will go all digital in the future. How big will our hard drives need to be? I have a 500GB hard drive and only a few games installed and I'm down to 175GB free. I downloaded the free Street Fighter game on PS Plus recently and it was 18GB. I only did it so I could download it later. I deleted it. A lot of these games take up a lot of space.
jon1234  +   454d ago
That's what she said
squallsoft  +   454d ago
well I have a 500 gig HDD in my machine, so I'll be okay. Gotta love how we aren;t forced to buy over priced HDD's. Now if a certain other company would stop screwing their customers over (cough Microsoft cough) with HDD prices

-Squall

First Hour: Trails Fusion

10m ago - Colin checks out the first hour of Trials Fusion on the Playstation 4. | PC

A look at Maddening Relapse from Castle Geek-Skull

37m ago - Castle Geek-Skull takes a look at the free game "Maddening Relapse" from NAL Games. "The visuals... | PC

Dark Souls 2 PC retail release date moved to May 2 in the UK [UPDATE]

39m ago - Dark Souls 2′s PC release at retail in the UK has been delayed to May 2, Bandai Namco has confirmed. | PC

Screenshot Weekly – Lenna’s Inception, OTTTD, Taita

40m ago - Lenna’s Inception is a procedurally generated action adventure title stylized to invoke a sense o... | PC

Filmwatch April Contests

Now - Calling all Marvel fans. Come celebrate the release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier with us as we give away a cool prize for fans of Cap plu... | Promoted post

[IGM] PAX East First Impressions – Invisible Inc.

40m ago - Klei Entertainment has quickly become a powerhouse in the indie industry over the past decade. Ch... | PC