Submitted by JonnyBigBoss 1045d ago | article

The Most Addicting Games Of The Past Decade

GR writes: "Their mere mention evokes thoughts of days spent glued to the screen, weeks that disappeared in the blink of an eye; in other words, games that behold an unprecedented amount of value. So which games fall under this umbrella?" (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

« 1 2 »
alexcosborn  +   1045d ago
World of Warcraft FOR SURE.
dbjj12088  +   1045d ago
I've never tried it for this exact reason.
Campy da Camper  +   1045d ago
Lol thats exactly why I never played it, too!

On topic: I have to disagree with Skyrim. Oblivion sucked more life out of me than any other game. Dark souls is a close second.
#1.1.1 (Edited 1045d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(3) | Report
Xristo  +   1045d ago
As much as I despise it now, it definitely was addicting. Sadly, speaking from experience, I missed a lot of years of good games to WoW. Never again will I get attached to an MMO like I did with WoW. Should of learned my lesson with DAoC.
#1.2 (Edited 1045d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Xristo  +   1045d ago
Double post :/
#1.3 (Edited 1045d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
RioKing  +   1044d ago
The lack of a comment "delete" option is stupid...
Thefreeman012  +   1045d ago
Not true, i always thought that Everquest was way more addicting than WoW. Wow was always bland and meh to me.
Xristo  +   1045d ago
Everquest(crack) definitely initially set the standard for MMO addictions. It is just not spoke about (as much) due to the popularity in comparison to WoW. Even though it had the highest population in any MMO ever before WoW.
#1.4.1 (Edited 1045d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report
JoySticksFTW  +   1044d ago
Evercrack was CRAZY addictive; way more addictive than WoW imo.

EQ was before WoW's instanced events.

I still remember heading into a zone calling for a camp check, people sending what time they'll be finished, and then setting my alarm clock and taking a nap to rest up before my time at the camp.

Or worse, the empty bottle shuffle when nature calls when in the middle of a camp.

That's the night I quit cold turkey. Still miss those EQ days, especially now that they have the official rolled-backed old school servers up. I'll never go back to that dark place again though. lol

But this gen's addictive game for me was Demon's Souls. That game had me.
#1.4.2 (Edited 1044d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
eliteslaya13  +   1045d ago
World of Borecraft™
Oh_Yeah  +   1045d ago
Out of all the games I've played since nes...I'd have to go with pokemon, oblivion, skyrim, fallout 3, fo:nv, borderlands 1 and 2. These Rpgs man...it wasn't really until this gen excluding pokemon where I sunk over 100 hours of play time into and multiple playthroughs with these games Bethesda and Gearbox make... They are crack in the form of video games. Because of skyrim I've missed work,school,and time with my girl (now ex). I can't really say that about any other game.
#1.6 (Edited 1045d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
solar  +   1045d ago
CS:S did it for me. and BF:2142
#1.7 (Edited 1045d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
otherZinc  +   1044d ago
World of Warcraft

Should head any such list.
Like it or not, those games have been played more than anything, period!
jessicachastain925   1044d ago | Spam
knifefight  +   1045d ago
Civilization games are like, hazardous to my health, man.
dasbeer88  +   1045d ago
Try League of Legends. An average match would last about 45-50 minutes. I've played over 1K matches and I'll bet that'll sum up about 700 hours.
Norrison  +   1044d ago
A Civ 5 campaign can take you more than 24 hours
doctorstrange  +   1045d ago
I've put a dangerous amount of time into the Total War series.
dbjj12088  +   1045d ago
I go through short spurts of addiction. Games usually don't hold my attention for much longer than 100 hours.
Obnoxious_Informer  +   1045d ago
I can't stop playing Playstation all stars. Had the same wonderful issue with smash bros when I was younger.
Foolsjoker  +   1045d ago
Great article!
Myst  +   1045d ago
Monster Hunter for me. My friends and I literally got to 999 hours on that game. Not sure why since we got everything but dammit if it wasn't enjoyable just to beat everything!
jrbeerman11  +   1045d ago
i love how he says minecraft is simplistic, try playing that game without the wiki...(beginners of course)
guitarded77  +   1045d ago
Add Gran Turismo 5 for me... I've clocked in hundreds of hours. And MP on Battlefield 3 and Bad Company 2 have eaten a lot of my time.
vlonjati77  +   1045d ago
Guitarded77- me too clocked hundred of hours if not over 1000.but not anymore cause im also ps+ subscriber and prefer playing different games,but I still at least an h a day of gt5.
I would still continue to race a few hours but Im tired of selfish racers that think that they gonna win anything by pushing and ramming and we have also quitters that dont wanna be last(hopefully you are not one of them :) when i play single player games im all relaxed.
Im playing Far Cry 3 now-its a very good game.you can add me if you wish for gt5 id same as my username.peace
#9.1 (Edited 1045d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
TheFreak  +   1045d ago
I was addicted to bf3 mp (700 hours). I have not played the game in about a month now though. Probably start playing it again when end game comes out.
#9.2 (Edited 1045d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Xristo  +   1045d ago
Would Pokemon games be considered addicting? I was "just too cool" to play them. Don't be like me...just another missed series which I'm sure was fun to play.
#10 (Edited 1045d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
MaleManSam  +   1045d ago
A lot of my life was used up on Warcraft III:Frozen throne (Specifically Bnet and Wintermaul wars.

As well as Diablo 2 and Star wars: Knights of the old republic.

Loved those years..
dfgeroigoidfg   1045d ago | Spam
CommonSenseGamer  +   1045d ago
Is it Addicting or Addictive? I see "addicting" used everywhere and it seems wrong.
calis  +   1045d ago

I don't think addicting is a word.
guitarded77  +   1045d ago
They're both words... Here's a blog post about the difference.

calis  +   1045d ago
look it up in urban dictionary, lol.

addicting just doesn't seem right.
#13.1.2 (Edited 1045d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
guitarded77  +   1044d ago
Addictive should have been used in the title, but addicting is a real word. Just sayin'.
calis  +   1044d ago
Not disagreeing, just doesn't seem right.
knifefight  +   1045d ago
You are correct. The proper term should be "Addictive."

If addicting were to be a word, it would be just a verb. "This game is addicting me" may be correct in that it's telling what the game is DOING to you -- drawing you in. But if you are wanting to *describe* the game, you'd need the adjective, which is indeed "addictive," like you said.

Common use will probably overrule it at some point, just like the way "ain't" became an official word.

Though I should say, at least, this small slip sticks out to me far less offensively than "I could careless" or "irregardless" and complete non-understanding of the word "literally." Those make me want to punch the screen.
DragonKnight  +   1045d ago
Addicting shouldn't be a word. It's not something you can do. You can't addict. You can be addicted and something can be addictive but the verb tense of that word is just ridiculous. It may be an officially recognized word as meaning "causing addiction" but it just sounds so stupid.

"Hey, what are you doing?"
"I'm addicting, you?"

Doesn't that sound ridiculous?
Chard  +   1045d ago
Addictive is the appropriate word to use in this case. Don't expect gaming journalists to know this.
@ knifefight - look at my status, you read my mind!
#13.3 (Edited 1045d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
QuantumWake  +   1045d ago
No love for Trials HD-Evolution? Those games are REALLY addictive. The community created content itself makes it a really unique, fun title.
#14 (Edited 1045d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
PhoenixRising37  +   1045d ago
I think that's the best and most addicting title on XBLA. My opinion of course.
TheFreak  +   1045d ago
I just rage if I play trials lol, but very good games.
JonnyBigBoss  +   1045d ago
Honestly, I have about 600 days played in World of Warcraft. I have had a total of 9 maximum level characters since it came out and on two of them I spent day and night playing after I graduated high school. I forged some great memories and met great people, but I'm glad my addiction is over.

Now I'm just addicted to League of Legends. :D
Nes_Daze  +   1045d ago
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm glad I missed out on WOW, I tried the trial one day and I wasn't too fond of it, I'm sure it was fun, but I just can't invest so much time in a game, I envy those that can while keeping a healthy lifestyle, lol.

But for me..basically some of the GTA games, a little with Skyrim, and FIFA, lots of FIFA.
PhoenixRising37  +   1045d ago
Dark Souls is the most addicting game of the past decade for me. When i started this game, there was no stopping me. I played it for 252 hours before i finally stopped. I now have the platinum trophy for it, my biggest gaming achievement.
dasbeer88  +   1045d ago
Team Fortress 2 anyone???
Xristo  +   1045d ago
Most definitely!! Team Fortress 2 in a nutshell:

iamgoatman  +   1045d ago
Came here to say the same thing.

After getting bored of whatever new MP rolls out these days, I always seem to go back to TF2.
3-4-5  +   1045d ago
* WoW

* Age of Empires 3

* College Hoops 2k8

* Minecraft

* Skate 2

* Halo 2

* Age of Booty

* Fifa 06 ( xbox )

* COD - WaW

* Dragon Quest 9

* Crimson Skies

* Roller Coaster Tycoon

* Pokemon SoulSilver

* Awesomnauts ( for like 3 weeks )

* Day of Defeat ( DoD ) - I prefer it to CS.

* Advance Wars 1 & 2 ( GBA )

* Fire Emblem ( GBA + GC )

* GTA 4
Conzul  +   1045d ago
I'm pretty sure that Tremulous has eaten hundreds of hours of my MP time.
DragonKnight  +   1045d ago
The Souls series for sure. Hundreds of hours and recreation of builds and characters for no reason other than "ooh, that's new, let me make a new character and try that out."
Stoppokingme  +   1045d ago
Definitely Oblivion and Skyrim. I've spent hours just on the character creation screen.
RuperttheBear  +   1045d ago
The Binding of Isaac is an addictive game. There's so many items,monsters and endings to unlock, I've put in over 150 hours and I've only got 55% completion. The fact that it's different every time you play helps as well.

Aside from that, rpg,rts and turn based games games top my list for addiction. The Elder Scrolls series, The Souls series, Civ and Company of Heroes have all been like crack for me.
urwifeminder  +   1044d ago
Most addictive seems to be a better title .
josephayal  +   1044d ago
Final Fantasy 13 and 13-2
Picnic  +   1044d ago
This decade, I've never wanted to play a game through to completion so much as Conker's Bad Fur Day.
Daver  +   1044d ago
Demons souls for me. I never played a game for that long.
Master-H  +   1044d ago
Cod4, Dark Souls, Empire Earth and Stronghold Crusader for me.
uiyewiusdfo   1044d ago | Spam
newflesh  +   1044d ago
CoD4 mp by far for me
« 1 2 »

Rise of the Tomb Raider: Attention 2 Detail In-depth analysis

1h ago - NX Gamer "With Crystal Dynamics having a successful reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise we are... | Xbox 360

8WNterview: Ackk Studios Talks YIIK & Chromophore, Death, and Fixing Mistakes

1h ago - 8-Worlds News talks to Ackk Studios' Brian Allanson on upcoming titles YIIK: A Post-Modern RPG an... | Wii U

See What TV Series Premiers this Month

Now - Check Releases.com for a complete overview of season premiers this November. | Promoted post

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters – How to Get to Hunter’s Nightmare

1h ago - Bloodborne’s first expansion, The Old Hunters, takes place in another realm called The Hunter’s N... | PS4

The Roach Approach - Battlefront for under $600 | PC Gaming Enthusiast

1h ago - Check out Jake Roach's November build where he builds a system that can run Battlefront for under... | PC

SuperPhillip Central's Favorite VGMs - Thankful for Even More VGMs Edition

3h ago - SPC writes, "Thanksgiving is this Thursday, so SuperPhillip Central is delivering a healthy plate... | PS4