Try our new beta!Click here
Submitted by MasonicGamer 1125d ago | opinion piece

Top 10 Most Improved Sequels

MasonicGamer.com: This top 10 most improved sequels idea hit me when I was recently looking through some of my editorials and noticed something. Whenever I did a list it was always a top five and usually negative towards the games featured so I’ve decided to remedy that by expanding to ten and talking positively about the games instead.

As per usual there is no order to my list, whatever game I mention last isn’t necessarily the best sequel and as with all lists I don’t expect everyone to agree with me. I’m not here proclaiming I’ve played every game ever created and to be honest I’m not much of a PC gamer although that Steam Box talk does interest me so I’ll be keeping an eye on that.

Also worth mentioning is that a sequel is not limited to a second entry in the series, it can be the third, forth, sixth entry in the franchise and it still counts. Right now that I’ve loaded up my flame shield let’s get started with one of my favourites. (Casual games, GameCube, PC, PS2, PS3, Retro, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360)

« 1 2 »
ps3bestsellingconsol   1125d ago | Spam
Snookies12  +   1125d ago
Uncharted 2 is the thing that comes to mind first for me... Not sure if I'd say that was in fact the most improved, but it basically took everything great about the first game and made it 10x better. That, and Dissidia Duodecim are the first two I can think of off the top of my head.
#2 (Edited 1125d ago ) | Agree(24) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Irishguy95  +   1125d ago
I thought the first one was pretty average. The second one really brought it up a notch. The story in both of them were abysmal so I didn't really care about it(since alot of people like 1's story over 2)

Yeah it's overrated Ps3bestsellingconsole. There are better games than it, Uncharted lacks a great story to go along with it's gameplay. Other games have everything done great...like MGS3

I have played the 3 of them dude, if you want you can attempt to tell me whats so special about it. It has humor, decent Tps gameplay and nice set pieces. But I don't consider interactive cutscenes a highpoint of gaming, there is room for so much more than that in this medium
#2.1 (Edited 1125d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(46) | Report | Reply
ps3bestsellingconsol   1125d ago | Spam
superterabyte  +   1125d ago
What are you on about? uncharted has a fantastic story.
Gamehard  +   1125d ago
I'll admit the stories in the Uncharted series aren't anything that haven't been done before in movies and other games. But Uncharted shines in how well the characters are portrayed and how they interact with each other. It's pretty rare for games to have characters with so much personality and to feel as human as they do in Uncharted.
Hicken  +   1125d ago
Troll harder, Irisghuy95.

Although I'd prefer it if you just stopped commenting, altogether.
GenericNameHere  +   1125d ago
"Yeah it's overrated Ps3bestsellingconsole"

Yeah, I think you're butthurt.
RustedMan  +   1124d ago
you want to talk about an overrated storyline? how about Metal Gear Friggin Solid.
Jesus, convoluted, overlong and nearly nonsensical.

The first one was pretty average?
Seriously man, don't give me the "interactive cut scene" argument against the game: it nearly perfected them and made them interesting, it heightened the experience, and enhanced the immersion while not detracting from the experience. Don't be that "I'm too cool for the acclaimed franchise" guy, the very least you could do is appreciate it's very existence.
ps3bestsellingconsol   1125d ago | Spam
Panthers  +   1125d ago
Am I the only person who liked the first Uncharted more? The second is amazing, as is the third, but the first one just blew me away. The story was a lot better than the sequels.
Knushwood Butt  +   1125d ago
I still love the first one.
Eyeco  +   1124d ago
I beat the 1st one like 10 times, the only game I've ever taken the time to plat, had some good times with it
The_Devil_Hunter  +   1125d ago
Uncharted games are fantastic. But their stories arent that incredible it kind of Indiana Jonesy like...The games are fantastic in general, set pieces, action sequences and gameplay, but the stories in them are nothing special.
EmperorDalek  +   1125d ago
I loved Drake's Fortune. And I hated Among Thieves. I really don't see how you can think Uncharted 2 was THAT big of an improvement when Uncharted 1 was already great. 10x better..... Right.
Eyeco  +   1124d ago
Mass Effect 2 aswell
ZBlacktt  +   1125d ago
Borderlands 1 to Borderlands 2 for me. I just got the BL1 GOTY edition to go back and play all the DLC. Man, did they do a lot of improvements from BL1 to BL2.

That and MGS2 to MGS3 to MGS4. Each went way ahead of the other is possibilities.
Hingle_Mcringleberry  +   1125d ago
Burnout 3 > every other arcade racer ever. Ever!
icecoldfire  +   1125d ago
true but blur does have a comparable quality to burnout 3 but i prefer burnout paradise from all of them.
BladerunnerZX  +   1125d ago
Back in the 8-bit days Mega Man 2 was a big improvement over Mega Man 1.

Then in the 16-bit generation Phantasy Star 2 was a vast leap over the first PS.

More recent improved sequels would be God of War 2 and Burnout Revenge.

Great article btw!
I completely agree with the comments on both Super Metroid and Resident Evil 4.

Super Metroid is without a doubt the single greatest 2-D videogame ever made and I still play RE4 on my trusty Gamecube when its time to give my PS3 a rest.
#5 (Edited 1125d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
InTheLab  +   1125d ago
inFamous 2 looks like a completely different game than the original.
Y_5150  +   1125d ago
So true, not in a bad way either! First and second inFAMOUS are amazing too!
DEATHxTHExKIDx  +   1125d ago
Most recent for me ACI to ACII. Everything possible was made better in Assassins creed 2.
dreamoner  +   1124d ago
Still, ACI was more realistic than any other AC game, Combat/Decapitations were brutal, plus had better graphics with DX10 on PC :P
Gamehard  +   1125d ago
What about Devil May Cry 3? Miles better than 2 for sure lol. And a huge improvement on part 1 :D Man I miss when Capcom was good.

Zone of the Enders 2 was a huge step up from 1 as well.

This gen I'd say the biggest one that comes to mind that isn't Uncharted 2 would be Assassin's Creed 2.
cleverusername  +   1125d ago
GTA just keeps getting better
Relientk77  +   1125d ago
Assassin's Creed 2 for me, its just simply amazing
prototypeknuckles  +   1125d ago
assassians creed 2
sly 2
prince of persia sands of time
DMC3
MK2
MK9
fallout 3
rayman 2
#11 (Edited 1125d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
WeAreLegion  +   1125d ago
Great list! I would trade God of War II for God of War III though. II was just a lot like the first one, for me. III had an incredible story and the tightest combat in action game history.
FrostyZipper  +   1125d ago
Ah Spyro 3. Many hours were spent playing and replaying that little gem.
Mikefizzled  +   1124d ago
I would agree with Red Dead Redemption but is it classed as a proper sequel? Also I cant agree with Arkham City purely because of how could Asylum was.
roadkillers  +   1125d ago
I hope to see Resident Evil on this list again sometime in the future.
kupomogli  +   1125d ago
I agree with a few of those on the list, but not all. Here's some of my opinion.

Lufia 2 Rise of the Sinistrals-
Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2
Xenosaga 3
Tales of Eternia
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
Infamous 2
#13 (Edited 1125d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
doogiebear  +   1125d ago
Dude the difference between persona 2 and 3 is mind boggling. P3 is wjat really put persona on the map.
kupomogli  +   1118d ago
I never said anything about Persona 3. Besides, listing SMT Nocturne on there is my opinion. My entire list, as I stated, is "opinion." SMT isn't Persona. Persona is a spinoff series. SMT Nocturne's press turn system was the first time it was seen in the series and any series for that matter. Not only being a massive improvement to its own series, but being an improvement to RPG combat systems in general.

Nothing Persona 3 did compared to Persona 2 can even compare to SMT Nocturne adding the press turn system.
#13.1.1 (Edited 1118d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report
WeAreLegion  +   1125d ago
I feel like this competition is unfair to Media Molecule. They made a perfect game... Then, they made a game that was even perfect...er.
molsen81  +   1125d ago
Mortal Kombat II was so much better than MK I and shocking in terms of the number of players and new character designs.
BlaqMagiq24  +   1125d ago
Most PS exclusive games came out better. I would name them but the list is too long. Here are some non PS exclusives

Gears of War 2
Halo 2
Assassin's Creed 2
Resident Evil 4
Batman Arkham City
doogiebear  +   1125d ago
Halo 2? Nope. Just more of the same.
BlaqMagiq24  +   1125d ago
Dual wield weapons
Newer weapons and vehicles
Better story and can play as an Elite in the story
First game to have online capability

Can't see how it's more of the same
Bladesfist  +   1125d ago
I would say Halo 3 deserves a place.
TKCMuzzer  +   1124d ago
@Bladesfist
Halo 3? That made me laugh.......thanks for making me smile...
#16.2 (Edited 1124d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
uweuioidfb   1125d ago | Spam
Danja  +   1125d ago
Stupid list the Fact Grand Theft Auto 'Vice City' is listed there.
PAYNEinc85  +   1125d ago
Red Dead Redemption
Old McGroin  +   1125d ago
Red Dead Redemption ain't a sequel!
EmperorDalek  +   1125d ago
Ahhhhhhhh..... Yes it is.
Old McGroin  +   1125d ago
A sequel to what? And for the love of God don't say Grand Theft Auto.
born2live  +   1125d ago
Sequel to Red Dead Revolver, in a sense.
#19.1.3 (Edited 1125d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report
Old McGroin  +   1125d ago
"Sequel to Red Dead Revolver, in a sense. "

Ah. I'm an idiot :(
sriki007  +   1125d ago
mass effect 2 was so much better than 1 in every aspect.
Old McGroin  +   1125d ago
Uncharted 2
Final Fantasy 7
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Grand Theft Auto 3
Mario 64
Ocarina Of Time
Streets Of Rage 2
Resident Evil 2 & 4
Metal Gear Solid
#21 (Edited 1125d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
MizTv  +   1124d ago
Good list
Xer0_SiN  +   1125d ago
whoever said dark souls...get outta here with that nonsense.
#22 (Edited 1125d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
JasonXS12  +   1125d ago
Hitman 2
zerocrossing  +   1125d ago
Nice list I cant really argue with it.

honerable mentions would be, Z.O.E 2, FF-VII & Devil may cry 3, IMO at least.
Cam977  +   1125d ago
Grand theft auto: San Andreas.
MoH: Frontline.
AC2.
Uncharted 2.
GTA3.
Wife Beater 7 (this really was an amazing sequel to Wife Beater: 3: Pimps 'N Hoes).
#25 (Edited 1125d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
icecoldfire  +   1125d ago
Mass Effect 3 > Mass Effect 2 >>>> Mass Effect
MizTv  +   1124d ago
Me1, me3 then me2
Kyosuke_Sanada  +   1124d ago
Silent Hill II, Star Fox 64 and Haunting Ground.
Parasyte  +   1124d ago
Definitely agree with RE2 being better than RE1. Borderlands 2 is another sequel that made massive improvements over the first game.
I would also say each of the Killzone games has gotten better with each iteration in the franchise Although Rico's acting is still god awful.)

I also can't overlook the main entrants in the Ratchet & Clank franchise. 1>2>3>Going Commando>Up Your Arsenal>Tools of Destruction>Crack in Time are all better than or just as good as the game that came before it.
MizTv  +   1124d ago
Kz2 yes
Kz3 NO
Silly gameAr  +   1124d ago
Assassin's Creed is one good example I can think of off of the top of my head. Assassin's Creed 2 was a huge improvement over Assassin's Creed 1. 2 is what really made me want to continue the series.

I just wish they could make a huge jump for the rest of the series like from 1 to 2, It's starting to feel a little stale.
« 1 2 »

Earthbound and David Bowie: An Unlikely Couple

12m ago - Earthbound was always well-known for "borrowing" some of its musical inspiration but there was an... | Retro

CheatCC's Official Call to Delay Star Fox Zero

13m ago - Pump the breaks, Nintendo. If one of your flagship franchises isn't controlling like it should, t... | Wii U

Guess N4G Game of the Year Winners, win a $300 Amazon Gift Card

Now - Also enter for a chance to win a gift card for writing a user blog, writing a user review, or being a top contributor for the month. | Promoted post

Rice Chat: Pre-Street Fighter V, Competitive Play, and NateHawke’s Top Tips

13m ago - "With Street Fighter V coming out next week Peter, Geraint, and Oscar sit down to talk about what... | PS4

Rocket League Update 1.11 Lands on PS4 and PC

13m ago - Developer Psyonix has released a brand new update for Rocket League on the PlayStation 4 and PC,... | PC

Arslan: The Warriors of Legend (PS4) [Worth It?]