Submitted by -Mezzo- 651d ago | opinion piece

Why PS2 was the best console ever

GamesRadar - Subjective appraisal of an objectively sensational machine. (PS2)

-Mezzo-  +   651d ago
I don't think any console will top it, for me.
Rainstorm81  +   651d ago
The variety in the library alone proves this,...and for the sales junkies it will most likely remain king in that category look at the parity in the industry now.
darthv72  +   651d ago
for me...
it is one of the best. i have enjoyed gaming for the last 30+ years that i really can't say if one platform is more deserving of the sole title of "best".

there have been many ups and downs in this industry when it comes to the games and the consoles that played them. PS2 is definitely in the "ups" category in both respects.
egidem  +   651d ago
When I look back at the PS2 and its humongous, amazing and diverse library of games, I believe that it was an honor to have been alive during its generation and to have played so many of its games.
SuburbanHell  +   651d ago
Records are meant to be broken, so I hope someday we will see something greater, but I agree, the PS2 is tops, to date.
Kingofwiiu  +   651d ago
The Ps2 is the highest selling Home console ever , But DS recently took it over as Highest selling Gaming platform ever.

Ps2 is one of the best platforms ever and I can see why most people would think it is. M major issue was the lack of 4 controller ports as standard. I used to hamer Smash bros , Mario kart and Halo 4 player with friends.

Even though the Ps2 had the most great games. I felt the small amount of Amazing games the Gamecube had were better. Metroid prime 1 and 2 , Windwaker , Smash bros Brawl , Mario Sunshine , F-Zero GX , Phantasy star online episode 1 and 2 , etc.

PS2 is right up there. But for Me the SNES , N64 , Gamecube are my three favorites!
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   650d ago
Kingofwiiu thinks the GameCube was better than the PS2 and tries too downplay the PS2 sales with the DS.......
Big freakin surprise /s
NeverEnding1989  +   651d ago
There's no other console anywhere close. And that's saying something considering I had more PS2's fail on me than Xbox 360's.

I'm most excited for next gen to see SONY move on from the mess that is the PS3 and focus on making the PS4 more like the behemoth that was the PS2.
#1.3 (Edited 651d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
Ezz2013  +   651d ago
ps3 is a mess ?!
a console that have the highest rated exclusives this gen and the most awarded games
the best hardware and free online
is a mess ??!!
#1.3.1 (Edited 651d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(0) | Report
jony_dols  +   651d ago
The only thing 'messy' about the PS3 was it's launch, since then it's gone from strength to strength. The fact that it has recently surpassed the 360 in lifetime sales (despite it's year head-start), is a testament to that.
#1.3.2 (Edited 651d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report
morkendo23  +   651d ago
ps2 was my first DVD player, CD player, variety of games no console will top it. as with ps3 hardly any interesting games to choose compare to ps2 library.
ps2 had it All, no rehashing same games as it is now days.
majedx9  +   650d ago
for me PS1 is #1
first GAMES like RE1,2,3 and MGS
Qrphe  +   651d ago
It is. Not only is the library huge (the largest one I'd even dare to say), but it actually has a high a pretty damn good high quality game to shovelware ratio.
nevin1  +   651d ago
Those who didnt have 2 multiple Taps missed out on some great 6-8 player action in Sports/Wrestling games.

It was too bad we didn't do this in the early years of the PS2. But it was a good send off as we eventually moved on to newer systems. I personally got a PS3 in 2008 and bro a year earlier.
MultiConsoleGamer  +   651d ago
A high water mark in gaming history.
WeskerChildReborned  +   651d ago
I enjoyed PS2 games more than games this gen, don't know why.
PS4isKing_82  +   651d ago
cause they were better than the games from this gen.

online passes, dlc, fps overload, japan game devs killing and butchering their once great franchises etc.

i pray next gen the industry corrects alot of the mistakes it made in this one.
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   650d ago
@shonen_82

I fully agree with you.
Last gen was a complete juggernaut and I hope we get a gen like that again with the new consoles.
I don't think we will though because like you said we now have online passes,dlc (and not the good kind), too many fps shooters and Japan destroying their best franchises. I don't think there is any turning back now the men in suits have had a taste of our cash and how much we are willing to pay extra to play the games we love. I think it's only going to get worse.
The PS1-PS2 era was the golden age of games for me, I include the GameCube and N64 in that too.
#5.1.1 (Edited 650d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
RedDevils  +   651d ago
This gen, is too Online/Multiplayer focus, but forgot how important is the story mode/single mode. Hell I still enjoy the PS2 games more than any top game this gen
animegamingnerd  +   651d ago
agree in fact i am playing persona 3 right now on my PS2
MrAnderson  +   651d ago
PS1 for me, but 2 is extremly close.
Cam977  +   651d ago
The PS2 was fantastic, I still have one and will try hard not to sell it; I don't want to sell it because it is such a brilliant console! As said before, I say it is split between the PS1 and PS2.
#7 (Edited 651d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
RTheRebel  +   651d ago
PS1 For Me Or Snes
Best Consoles Ever
GreenRanger  +   651d ago
Competely useless fact: Ireland had the second highest percentage of PS2s in the world (as of 2007), with Japan being the highest.
#9 (Edited 651d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
izumo_lee  +   651d ago
It was a gen that Sony could do nothing wrong. After the success of the PSone they would create a system that appealed to every gamer young or old without abandoning what brought them to the pinnacle 'the games'.

Boasting a software lineup that would probably never again be challenged there was something for everyone. The game industry was at its very strongest with many developers making a name for themselves or being much more established.

However there is one thing that the PS2 did that would become a gigantic hole that the company had to spend the entire of this gen to crawl out of. The PS2 caused Sony to become arrogant & lose its focus in what made them so successful. The dominance of the PS2 blinded Sony for the better half of this gen, that just having a brand name on the box does not guarantee success. We all know the story by now.

The PS2 will be the best console for many years to come with its massive library of games.
Psychonaughty  +   651d ago
No console has brought me the joy that the megadrive originally did, yet, obviously the ps2 is the best seller though, no ones denying that.
ZeekQuattro  +   651d ago
I suppose if I never owned a SNES or N64 I could see the PS2 being number 1. My fondest gaming memories are on those systems.
#12 (Edited 651d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
pedroyamato  +   651d ago
It was a very solid console with many good games, a insane library.

But the snes was better, for me.
GreenRanger  +   651d ago
I miss the days when you could unlock stuff and games weren't released broken.
These days it's all just DLC and patches.
ZeekQuattro  +   651d ago
I miss those days as well. I can't stand on disc DLC, patches especially day one and achievements/trophys. Call me old fashioned but shouldn't playing the game be rewarding in itself.
#14.1 (Edited 651d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
animegamingnerd  +   651d ago
agreed patches and DLC really made me hate this gen
thebudgetgamer  +   651d ago
I've played and loved so many consoles in my twenty five years in gaming so it's hard for me to say anyone is by far the best but the PS2 had some amazing things going for it.
George Sears  +   651d ago
Still remember running on pedestrians on GTA3 for the first time..... couldn't, stop, smiling.
thecowsaysmoo  +   651d ago
Nah, the wii u is the best console, it is innovative.
bullymangLer  +   651d ago
when will articles feature up and down votes like youtube . . . . REAL gamers know that The N64 still tops everything . .regardless of sales . .fACT (:
Tiqila  +   651d ago
im quite happy with this gen, especially with all the great ps3 exclusives and i really enjoy some of the hd remakes (okami recently).

ps3 still cant beat ps2, but is great aswell and hasnt done so much wrong in my opinion (:
g-nome  +   651d ago
Reliable yes , but surely does not beat the ps3 for amazing gaming experiences.
wenaldy  +   651d ago
Three nintendrones said otherwise.
CrustifiedDibbs  +   650d ago
i would say snes, but that is me. if someone said they thought the ps2 was the best, i wouldnt argue too much either.
givemeshelter  +   650d ago
Game variety made it the best console. It's all about games.
kingPoS  +   650d ago
I don't think any future console can top the shear amount varied games the ps2 had. There was literally a game for everyone. While most mention the obvious titles like MGS3 or GTA SA, I fondly recall unappreciated games such Capcom v SNK 2 or Music Maker Deluxe Edition

Does anyone remember those demo disc from playstation magizine... they were awesome!
#24 (Edited 650d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
urwifeminder  +   650d ago
Dreamcast and xbox for me i skipped ps2 everyone had one so i got to give it a try didnt do it for me friends started my hate affair with sony.
#25 (Edited 650d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

A Hash Tag Movement is D.O.A - GamerGate Needs A Re-Branding

17m ago - "This is difficult to write about. GamerGate, or #GamerGate, has illicited a wealth of emotion... | Industry

NCSoft layoffs claim 60 from WildStar dev

17m ago - Eurogamer: "There have been layoffs across Western NCSoft studios, the company has revealed, but... | PC

How Halo: The Master Chief Collection Changed Achievements

17m ago - Readers Gambit takes a quick look at the new HUD and integrated Achievement system for Halo:TMCC.... | Xbox One

#GamerGate – An Issue With Two Sides

18m ago - Nearly a month after it began, GamerGate is a fire that refuses to go out. The hashtag campaig... | Industry

Getting started in Archeage

Now - Quick overview from Curse on everything you need to get going in Archeage. | Promoted post

Costume Quest 2′s Final Costume is Disappointing (Spoilers)

18m ago - Technology Tell writes, "Again, just to make sure, this little piece is going to contain some big... | PC