Submitted by -Mezzo- 615d ago | opinion piece

Why PS2 was the best console ever

GamesRadar - Subjective appraisal of an objectively sensational machine. (PS2)

-Mezzo-  +   615d ago
I don't think any console will top it, for me.
Rainstorm81  +   615d ago
The variety in the library alone proves this,...and for the sales junkies it will most likely remain king in that category look at the parity in the industry now.
darthv72  +   615d ago
for me...
it is one of the best. i have enjoyed gaming for the last 30+ years that i really can't say if one platform is more deserving of the sole title of "best".

there have been many ups and downs in this industry when it comes to the games and the consoles that played them. PS2 is definitely in the "ups" category in both respects.
egidem  +   614d ago
When I look back at the PS2 and its humongous, amazing and diverse library of games, I believe that it was an honor to have been alive during its generation and to have played so many of its games.
SuburbanHell  +   615d ago
Records are meant to be broken, so I hope someday we will see something greater, but I agree, the PS2 is tops, to date.
Kingofwiiu  +   615d ago
The Ps2 is the highest selling Home console ever , But DS recently took it over as Highest selling Gaming platform ever.

Ps2 is one of the best platforms ever and I can see why most people would think it is. M major issue was the lack of 4 controller ports as standard. I used to hamer Smash bros , Mario kart and Halo 4 player with friends.

Even though the Ps2 had the most great games. I felt the small amount of Amazing games the Gamecube had were better. Metroid prime 1 and 2 , Windwaker , Smash bros Brawl , Mario Sunshine , F-Zero GX , Phantasy star online episode 1 and 2 , etc.

PS2 is right up there. But for Me the SNES , N64 , Gamecube are my three favorites!
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   614d ago
Kingofwiiu thinks the GameCube was better than the PS2 and tries too downplay the PS2 sales with the DS.......
Big freakin surprise /s
NeverEnding1989  +   615d ago
There's no other console anywhere close. And that's saying something considering I had more PS2's fail on me than Xbox 360's.

I'm most excited for next gen to see SONY move on from the mess that is the PS3 and focus on making the PS4 more like the behemoth that was the PS2.
#1.3 (Edited 615d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
Ezz2013  +   615d ago
ps3 is a mess ?!
a console that have the highest rated exclusives this gen and the most awarded games
the best hardware and free online
is a mess ??!!
#1.3.1 (Edited 615d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(0) | Report
jony_dols  +   614d ago
The only thing 'messy' about the PS3 was it's launch, since then it's gone from strength to strength. The fact that it has recently surpassed the 360 in lifetime sales (despite it's year head-start), is a testament to that.
#1.3.2 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report
morkendo23  +   614d ago
ps2 was my first DVD player, CD player, variety of games no console will top it. as with ps3 hardly any interesting games to choose compare to ps2 library.
ps2 had it All, no rehashing same games as it is now days.
majedx9  +   614d ago
for me PS1 is #1
first GAMES like RE1,2,3 and MGS
Qrphe  +   615d ago
It is. Not only is the library huge (the largest one I'd even dare to say), but it actually has a high a pretty damn good high quality game to shovelware ratio.
nevin1  +   615d ago
Those who didnt have 2 multiple Taps missed out on some great 6-8 player action in Sports/Wrestling games.

It was too bad we didn't do this in the early years of the PS2. But it was a good send off as we eventually moved on to newer systems. I personally got a PS3 in 2008 and bro a year earlier.
MultiConsoleGamer  +   615d ago
A high water mark in gaming history.
WeskerChildReborned  +   615d ago
I enjoyed PS2 games more than games this gen, don't know why.
PS4isKing_82  +   615d ago
cause they were better than the games from this gen.

online passes, dlc, fps overload, japan game devs killing and butchering their once great franchises etc.

i pray next gen the industry corrects alot of the mistakes it made in this one.
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   614d ago
@shonen_82

I fully agree with you.
Last gen was a complete juggernaut and I hope we get a gen like that again with the new consoles.
I don't think we will though because like you said we now have online passes,dlc (and not the good kind), too many fps shooters and Japan destroying their best franchises. I don't think there is any turning back now the men in suits have had a taste of our cash and how much we are willing to pay extra to play the games we love. I think it's only going to get worse.
The PS1-PS2 era was the golden age of games for me, I include the GameCube and N64 in that too.
#5.1.1 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
RedDevils  +   615d ago
This gen, is too Online/Multiplayer focus, but forgot how important is the story mode/single mode. Hell I still enjoy the PS2 games more than any top game this gen
animegamingnerd  +   615d ago
agree in fact i am playing persona 3 right now on my PS2
MrAnderson  +   615d ago
PS1 for me, but 2 is extremly close.
Cam977  +   615d ago
The PS2 was fantastic, I still have one and will try hard not to sell it; I don't want to sell it because it is such a brilliant console! As said before, I say it is split between the PS1 and PS2.
#7 (Edited 615d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
RTheRebel  +   615d ago
PS1 For Me Or Snes
Best Consoles Ever
GreenRanger  +   615d ago
Competely useless fact: Ireland had the second highest percentage of PS2s in the world (as of 2007), with Japan being the highest.
#9 (Edited 615d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
izumo_lee  +   615d ago
It was a gen that Sony could do nothing wrong. After the success of the PSone they would create a system that appealed to every gamer young or old without abandoning what brought them to the pinnacle 'the games'.

Boasting a software lineup that would probably never again be challenged there was something for everyone. The game industry was at its very strongest with many developers making a name for themselves or being much more established.

However there is one thing that the PS2 did that would become a gigantic hole that the company had to spend the entire of this gen to crawl out of. The PS2 caused Sony to become arrogant & lose its focus in what made them so successful. The dominance of the PS2 blinded Sony for the better half of this gen, that just having a brand name on the box does not guarantee success. We all know the story by now.

The PS2 will be the best console for many years to come with its massive library of games.
Psychonaughty  +   615d ago
No console has brought me the joy that the megadrive originally did, yet, obviously the ps2 is the best seller though, no ones denying that.
ZeekQuattro  +   615d ago
I suppose if I never owned a SNES or N64 I could see the PS2 being number 1. My fondest gaming memories are on those systems.
#12 (Edited 615d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
pedroyamato  +   615d ago
It was a very solid console with many good games, a insane library.

But the snes was better, for me.
GreenRanger  +   615d ago
I miss the days when you could unlock stuff and games weren't released broken.
These days it's all just DLC and patches.
ZeekQuattro  +   615d ago
I miss those days as well. I can't stand on disc DLC, patches especially day one and achievements/trophys. Call me old fashioned but shouldn't playing the game be rewarding in itself.
#14.1 (Edited 615d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
animegamingnerd  +   615d ago
agreed patches and DLC really made me hate this gen
thebudgetgamer  +   615d ago
I've played and loved so many consoles in my twenty five years in gaming so it's hard for me to say anyone is by far the best but the PS2 had some amazing things going for it.
George Sears  +   615d ago
Still remember running on pedestrians on GTA3 for the first time..... couldn't, stop, smiling.
thecowsaysmoo  +   615d ago
Nah, the wii u is the best console, it is innovative.
bullymangLer  +   615d ago
when will articles feature up and down votes like youtube . . . . REAL gamers know that The N64 still tops everything . .regardless of sales . .fACT (:
Tiqila  +   614d ago
im quite happy with this gen, especially with all the great ps3 exclusives and i really enjoy some of the hd remakes (okami recently).

ps3 still cant beat ps2, but is great aswell and hasnt done so much wrong in my opinion (:
g-nome  +   614d ago
Reliable yes , but surely does not beat the ps3 for amazing gaming experiences.
wenaldy  +   614d ago
Three nintendrones said otherwise.
CrustifiedDibbs  +   614d ago
i would say snes, but that is me. if someone said they thought the ps2 was the best, i wouldnt argue too much either.
givemeshelter  +   614d ago
Game variety made it the best console. It's all about games.
kingPoS  +   614d ago
I don't think any future console can top the shear amount varied games the ps2 had. There was literally a game for everyone. While most mention the obvious titles like MGS3 or GTA SA, I fondly recall unappreciated games such Capcom v SNK 2 or Music Maker Deluxe Edition

Does anyone remember those demo disc from playstation magizine... they were awesome!
#24 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
urwifeminder  +   614d ago
Dreamcast and xbox for me i skipped ps2 everyone had one so i got to give it a try didnt do it for me friends started my hate affair with sony.
#25 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

We Shall Wake’s Combat Is So Fast Most Physics Engines Can’t Keep Up With It

10m ago - Siliconera: We Shall Wake is a high-speed third-person sci-fi action game coming to PC “when it’... | PC

Max Hall on Outpost 13, Killer Dogs, and Sci-Fi

11m ago - Greg Micek writes: "You can think of Outpost 13 as an adventure game based on the classic horror... | PC

MMO Economies - How to Manage Inflation in Virtual Economies

11m ago - Every quest reward or sellable item in an MMO generates more gold that goes into the economy, cau... | Culture

New Tales of Zestiria Famitsu Scans Give More Info On Rose And Edna and Dezel's Mystic Artes

11m ago - AbyssalChronicles: "The latest issue of Famitsu Magazine details the newly revealed character, Ro... | PS3

Celebrate the new TV season with Filmwatch

Now - With the 2014-2015 TV season right around the corner, come join us on Filmwatch as we celebrate and give all you TV lovers something to enjoy! | Promoted post

ZPlay: Review: Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution (PS3)

12m ago - ZOMGPlay's Review of Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution: "If CyberConnect2 were... | PS3