Submitted by -Mezzo- 567d ago | opinion piece

Why PS2 was the best console ever

GamesRadar - Subjective appraisal of an objectively sensational machine. (PS2)

-Mezzo-  +   567d ago
I don't think any console will top it, for me.
Rainstorm81  +   567d ago
The variety in the library alone proves this,...and for the sales junkies it will most likely remain king in that category look at the parity in the industry now.
darthv72  +   567d ago
for me...
it is one of the best. i have enjoyed gaming for the last 30+ years that i really can't say if one platform is more deserving of the sole title of "best".

there have been many ups and downs in this industry when it comes to the games and the consoles that played them. PS2 is definitely in the "ups" category in both respects.
egidem  +   566d ago
When I look back at the PS2 and its humongous, amazing and diverse library of games, I believe that it was an honor to have been alive during its generation and to have played so many of its games.
SuburbanHell  +   567d ago
Records are meant to be broken, so I hope someday we will see something greater, but I agree, the PS2 is tops, to date.
Kingofwiiu  +   566d ago
The Ps2 is the highest selling Home console ever , But DS recently took it over as Highest selling Gaming platform ever.

Ps2 is one of the best platforms ever and I can see why most people would think it is. M major issue was the lack of 4 controller ports as standard. I used to hamer Smash bros , Mario kart and Halo 4 player with friends.

Even though the Ps2 had the most great games. I felt the small amount of Amazing games the Gamecube had were better. Metroid prime 1 and 2 , Windwaker , Smash bros Brawl , Mario Sunshine , F-Zero GX , Phantasy star online episode 1 and 2 , etc.

PS2 is right up there. But for Me the SNES , N64 , Gamecube are my three favorites!
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   566d ago
Kingofwiiu thinks the GameCube was better than the PS2 and tries too downplay the PS2 sales with the DS.......
Big freakin surprise /s
NeverEnding1989  +   566d ago
There's no other console anywhere close. And that's saying something considering I had more PS2's fail on me than Xbox 360's.

I'm most excited for next gen to see SONY move on from the mess that is the PS3 and focus on making the PS4 more like the behemoth that was the PS2.
#1.3 (Edited 566d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
Ezz2013  +   566d ago
ps3 is a mess ?!
a console that have the highest rated exclusives this gen and the most awarded games
the best hardware and free online
is a mess ??!!
#1.3.1 (Edited 566d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(0) | Report
jony_dols  +   566d ago
The only thing 'messy' about the PS3 was it's launch, since then it's gone from strength to strength. The fact that it has recently surpassed the 360 in lifetime sales (despite it's year head-start), is a testament to that.
#1.3.2 (Edited 566d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report
morkendo23  +   566d ago
ps2 was my first DVD player, CD player, variety of games no console will top it. as with ps3 hardly any interesting games to choose compare to ps2 library.
ps2 had it All, no rehashing same games as it is now days.
majedx9  +   566d ago
for me PS1 is #1
first GAMES like RE1,2,3 and MGS
Qrphe  +   567d ago
It is. Not only is the library huge (the largest one I'd even dare to say), but it actually has a high a pretty damn good high quality game to shovelware ratio.
nevin1  +   567d ago
Those who didnt have 2 multiple Taps missed out on some great 6-8 player action in Sports/Wrestling games.

It was too bad we didn't do this in the early years of the PS2. But it was a good send off as we eventually moved on to newer systems. I personally got a PS3 in 2008 and bro a year earlier.
MultiConsoleGamer  +   566d ago
A high water mark in gaming history.
WeskerChildReborned  +   566d ago
I enjoyed PS2 games more than games this gen, don't know why.
PS4isKing_82  +   566d ago
cause they were better than the games from this gen.

online passes, dlc, fps overload, japan game devs killing and butchering their once great franchises etc.

i pray next gen the industry corrects alot of the mistakes it made in this one.
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   566d ago
@shonen_82

I fully agree with you.
Last gen was a complete juggernaut and I hope we get a gen like that again with the new consoles.
I don't think we will though because like you said we now have online passes,dlc (and not the good kind), too many fps shooters and Japan destroying their best franchises. I don't think there is any turning back now the men in suits have had a taste of our cash and how much we are willing to pay extra to play the games we love. I think it's only going to get worse.
The PS1-PS2 era was the golden age of games for me, I include the GameCube and N64 in that too.
#5.1.1 (Edited 566d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
RedDevils  +   566d ago
This gen, is too Online/Multiplayer focus, but forgot how important is the story mode/single mode. Hell I still enjoy the PS2 games more than any top game this gen
animegamingnerd  +   566d ago
agree in fact i am playing persona 3 right now on my PS2
MrAnderson  +   566d ago
PS1 for me, but 2 is extremly close.
Cam977  +   566d ago
The PS2 was fantastic, I still have one and will try hard not to sell it; I don't want to sell it because it is such a brilliant console! As said before, I say it is split between the PS1 and PS2.
#7 (Edited 566d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
RTheRebel  +   566d ago
PS1 For Me Or Snes
Best Consoles Ever
GreenRanger  +   566d ago
Competely useless fact: Ireland had the second highest percentage of PS2s in the world (as of 2007), with Japan being the highest.
#9 (Edited 566d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
izumo_lee  +   566d ago
It was a gen that Sony could do nothing wrong. After the success of the PSone they would create a system that appealed to every gamer young or old without abandoning what brought them to the pinnacle 'the games'.

Boasting a software lineup that would probably never again be challenged there was something for everyone. The game industry was at its very strongest with many developers making a name for themselves or being much more established.

However there is one thing that the PS2 did that would become a gigantic hole that the company had to spend the entire of this gen to crawl out of. The PS2 caused Sony to become arrogant & lose its focus in what made them so successful. The dominance of the PS2 blinded Sony for the better half of this gen, that just having a brand name on the box does not guarantee success. We all know the story by now.

The PS2 will be the best console for many years to come with its massive library of games.
Psychonaughty  +   566d ago
No console has brought me the joy that the megadrive originally did, yet, obviously the ps2 is the best seller though, no ones denying that.
ZeekQuattro  +   566d ago
I suppose if I never owned a SNES or N64 I could see the PS2 being number 1. My fondest gaming memories are on those systems.
#12 (Edited 566d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
pedroyamato  +   566d ago
It was a very solid console with many good games, a insane library.

But the snes was better, for me.
GreenRanger  +   566d ago
I miss the days when you could unlock stuff and games weren't released broken.
These days it's all just DLC and patches.
ZeekQuattro  +   566d ago
I miss those days as well. I can't stand on disc DLC, patches especially day one and achievements/trophys. Call me old fashioned but shouldn't playing the game be rewarding in itself.
#14.1 (Edited 566d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
animegamingnerd  +   566d ago
agreed patches and DLC really made me hate this gen
thebudgetgamer  +   566d ago
I've played and loved so many consoles in my twenty five years in gaming so it's hard for me to say anyone is by far the best but the PS2 had some amazing things going for it.
George Sears  +   566d ago
Still remember running on pedestrians on GTA3 for the first time..... couldn't, stop, smiling.
thecowsaysmoo  +   566d ago
Nah, the wii u is the best console, it is innovative.
bullymangLer  +   566d ago
when will articles feature up and down votes like youtube . . . . REAL gamers know that The N64 still tops everything . .regardless of sales . .fACT (:
Tiqila  +   566d ago
im quite happy with this gen, especially with all the great ps3 exclusives and i really enjoy some of the hd remakes (okami recently).

ps3 still cant beat ps2, but is great aswell and hasnt done so much wrong in my opinion (:
g-nome  +   566d ago
Reliable yes , but surely does not beat the ps3 for amazing gaming experiences.
wenaldy  +   566d ago
Three nintendrones said otherwise.
CrustifiedDibbs  +   566d ago
i would say snes, but that is me. if someone said they thought the ps2 was the best, i wouldnt argue too much either.
givemeshelter  +   566d ago
Game variety made it the best console. It's all about games.
kingPoS  +   566d ago
I don't think any future console can top the shear amount varied games the ps2 had. There was literally a game for everyone. While most mention the obvious titles like MGS3 or GTA SA, I fondly recall unappreciated games such Capcom v SNK 2 or Music Maker Deluxe Edition

Does anyone remember those demo disc from playstation magizine... they were awesome!
#24 (Edited 566d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
urwifeminder  +   566d ago
Dreamcast and xbox for me i skipped ps2 everyone had one so i got to give it a try didnt do it for me friends started my hate affair with sony.
#25 (Edited 566d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

All For One - CLG Swaps Entire LoL Roster When Top Lane Is Forced Back To Korea

23m ago - Counter Logic Gaming, a fan-favorite professional League of Legends team, sends all 5 starters ba... | Industry

Two RPG Juggernauts: A Look at Dragon Age: Inquisition and The Witcher 3

29m ago - CraveOnline: "The unbiased RPG player will lay down his company loyalties and enjoy both titles w... | PC

From Uncharted to The Last of Us: An Hour with Emilia Schatz, Part II

29m ago - Max Level: With all the hype surrounding the critically-acclaimed game, I recently sat down with... | PS3

Killer Instinct: Combo Breaker Pack Will Fight Its Way into a Physical Release on September 23rd

29m ago - Microsoft has announced the physical copy of Killer Instinct: Combo Breaker Pack is releasing a s... | Xbox One

IndieMonth: Final Phase

Now - IndieMonth is indie-ing. I mean ending. Maybe both. Today is the last day, and it's a doozy! | Promoted post

Comic Con Mass Effect Panel Available Online

31m ago - Twinfinite reports that the "Charting A Course: Developing The Next Mass Effect" panel is availab... | PS4