Submitted by gaminoz 1006d ago | preview

First battle of 2013: Why Revengeance is better than DmC (OXCGN Preview)

"If I’m spending countless hours swinging my sword at enemies, I not only want to enjoy doing it but I want to appreciate the effort I’ve put in to perform combos and stunning air defying stunts.

After spending the better of a few hours on both demos (note they can be finished within 30 minutes), I can safely say that of the two, Revengeance is the premiere hack and slash title to look forward to this year." (DmC: Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, PS3, Xbox 360)

gaminoz  +   1006d ago
Stupid names for both of them, with both of them having protagonists people don't like....

But DMC seems more to my taste as far as environments and concept.
#1 (Edited 1006d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(38) | Report | Reply
Whitefeather  +   1006d ago
Raiden isn't on the level of dislike as Donte. He is at least an original character with depth. Donte is just an abomination of what was once an awesome character.
TheBatman_Fanatic  +   1006d ago
It's Dante, not "Donte".
VsAssassin  +   1006d ago
@TheBatman_Fanatic, Donte it is since his name is pronounce this way now. And I'm sure you already know this. Right?
DeusExer  +   1006d ago
I thought the sword techniques were awesome in Revengeance from what I played at the EB Expo, but might get old after a while.

Both two different games IMO and I'll reserve judgement until I play both.
RyuX19  +   1006d ago
It doesn't get old. I've got about 5 hours on the MGR demo alone.
Chuk5  +   1006d ago
Idont know what it is, but something about Rising doesn't do it for me. I think Platinum is one of the best devs this gen, but Rising looks like it's lacking polish in a weird way, but I want to try out the demo. Platinum almost never fails, so i'll reserve judgement. I enjoyed the DmC demo though.
gaminoz  +   1006d ago
The whole look turns me off. Not sure why though...except Raiden has never appealed
gaminoz  +   1006d ago
God of War should the the slasher of 2013?
#4 (Edited 1006d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(13) | Report | Reply
BadCircuit  +   1006d ago
GenoZStriker  +   1006d ago
It probably is going to be. God of War Ascension, just based off what they've showed us so far, looks more polished, fluid and smoother than DmC and MGR. The God of War games have critically also performed better than any game Platinum Games or Ninja Theory have developed. Story wise it's also the least ridiculous one.
#4.2 (Edited 1006d ago ) | Agree(15) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
prototypeknuckles  +   1006d ago
that is true, while kratos is a very over angry character, the story in god of war at least makes sense and feels epic, though for me the gameplay is a little too buttonmashy, but if some of those rumors from DmC are true like vergil turning into a dinosaur(LMFAO, oh god i hope that was fake) then yeah DmC just got a lot worse.
#4.2.1 (Edited 1006d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(1) | Report
Neckbear  +   1006d ago
At least in a mainstream way. But God of War games have never been particularly engrossing for me, the gameplay in those games is incredibly simple (as in "mash square and roll occasionally" simple) and seeing it become the genre's primary example is kind of...sad. Especially because more games aspire to be like it and copy its gameplay to some degree, which I just don't enjoy at all. At least not as much as DMC4's or Bayonetta's.
#4.3 (Edited 1006d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
GenericNameHere  +   1006d ago
The games may not have twitch-finger reflexes and perfect pixel combos, but the games are still pretty good. It's kind of like RPGs nowadays. JRPGs (not all,but alot were) used to be King of RPGs, having great story, great characters, great setting, and longevity/replay value. Now, WRPGs are taking over, and the developers who used to develop great JRPGs (cough* Final Fantasy *cough*) are now taking cues from WRPGs (which is by no means a bad thing), and making JRPGs more westernized. I admit I've button smashed in every hack-and-slash game and won. I've even button smashed in God of War III's Titan difficulty and beat it. But that does not mean God of War is a bad game, and is certainly fine for other games to try and copy it, maybe not just for the gameplay, but the mood, setting, characters, etc.
#4.3.1 (Edited 1006d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report
Proeliator  +   1006d ago
Really looking forward to Rising... not so much DMC.
Hanso  +   1006d ago
same for me!
Sevir  +   1006d ago
excited for both.
Both will be excellent! I can't wait for both.
j-blaze  +   1006d ago
god you're so fake and pathetic

on topic: but of course, 2 great Japanese devs "KojiPro and Platinum" are making the game i mean duh 一_一
Dark11  +   1006d ago
DmC has a great level design , but everything else looks average. maybe i will get it used.

as for MGR it's looks Amazing! , Day 1 for me.
GenoZStriker  +   1006d ago
This is very simple, if you want a combo centric game, you go for DmC. If you want a fast high-intense parry/counter game, MGR would be your choice. If you like both, you get both.
CrescentFang  +   1006d ago
I totally agree with you... MGR does not seem very focused on combos as compared to just plain fast action
RyuX19  +   1006d ago
I approve of this article and there needs to be more articles like this.
#9 (Edited 1006d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
prototypeknuckles  +   1006d ago
DmC=rent so i can review for n4g and possibly youtube.
MGR revengeance=i cant buy it day 1, may not have the money, but ill definatly be buying this, around launch.
League_of_Draven  +   1006d ago
It's not.
cferretrun  +   1006d ago
Never really got into the MSG games, even on NES to Playsation, PSP and forward. I'll be picking up DmC though. :>
BadCircuit  +   1006d ago
MGS 4 was awesome. I didn't really get into the others either. And the soap opera cut scenes turned me off.
CrescentFang  +   1006d ago
Then maybe you'll like Ghost Babel on the Game Boy?
Blacktric  +   1006d ago
-Can't even spell MGS right.
-LEL I'll get the DmC though xDxDDDD

How surprising.
Ravenor  +   1006d ago
Or it was a typo? I'm sure he doesn't think the game is named Metal Solid Gear.
cferretrun  +   1004d ago
Mistakes happen, sweetheart. I don't snipe them out and degrade myself as a human being by tearing another down. (:
Blacktric  +   1004d ago
But you sure do try hard to degrade another down by using the word "sweetheart".

Try to type a little less hastily next time when someone insults your favorite "not even released yet" game.
PS4isKing_82  +   1006d ago
lol just mg rising? HA! any game is better than this new dmc.
Inception  +   1006d ago
Isn't that obvious? Rising will crush DmC in terms of gameplay and story. Platinum (with help from Kojipro) knew how to pleased hardcore gamer who loved deep gameplay with high difficulty. For DmC, too bad, if this game made by Platinum i will buy it too. But NT made it and the result from the demo & trailers it looks slow, enemy's AI beyond stupid, and full of frame skip.

Btw, GoW Ascension and Lord of Shadows 2 looks more promising than DmC. So i will buy Rising, Ascension, and LoS 2 for my hack & slash requirement ^^ And maybe Anarchy Reigns if my wallet still alive >.<
#14 (Edited 1006d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Hanso  +   1006d ago
yeah i too will get rising anarchy reigns gow ascencion and LoS2
dmc can rot in hell
Kenshin_BATT0USAI  +   1006d ago
From playing both demos I can safely say Rising has MUCH MORE depth in gameplay, and is much faster paced. Both of which are my preference when it comes to action games. Although I did find it a bit on the easy side. However, DmC's demo was a joke difficulty-wise so whatever.
SovereignSnaKe  +   1006d ago
-Oh just wait until after DmC releases, give them 24 hours and all the whiny, religious, a-holes will have forgotten about it and move onto their next witch burning. Rising is just being eclipsed for the moment, but given today's attention spans among most internet fiends, the hate mongering for Rising will start rolling in on January 16th.
#16 (Edited 1006d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
VileAndVicious  +   1005d ago
why are you always bringing up the topic of religion into video game discussions?
TRU3_GAM3R  +   1006d ago
Castlevania Los 2 > Dmc (:
#17 (Edited 1006d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Hanso  +   1006d ago
lastnameiodfogewiuh   1006d ago | Spam

Could Rainbow Six Siege actually be changing America's youth?

3m ago - Good God, could this really be? Has Rainbow Six Siege finally cracked the code? | PC

Be Afraid: Rock Band Has Returned

3m ago - Rock Band has come back from the dead, and the implications of it's return are no less than scary. | PS4

This October's Releases For All Things PlayStation

Now - The spooky month of October is almost upon us and that means another calendar month of releases to feed our gamer appetites. We take a look at what... | Promoted post

The PS4 Game That's Being Built in a Hotel Lobby

3m ago - Push Square: "In the lobby of a Greater London hotel, a small team of fledgling developers are ma... | PS4

New Elite: Dangerous Video Showcases Vive, Explains Updates

3m ago - VRFocus reports on the release of a new video for Elite: Dangerous that recaps the title's appera... | PC

Tales from the Borderlands Interview – Fiona Voice Actress Laura Bailey Discusses the Finale

4m ago - AotF writes: "Telltale’s Tales from the Borderlands series is only one episode away from the fini... | PC