Submitted by Godchild1020 603d ago | news

PlayStation Plus Update Dec 31st, 2012

PS Blog writer Morgan Haro says: Happy (almost) New Year! The PlayStation Plus team is gearing up for another banner year in 2013 as we continue to deliver free games, discounts, and access to events, betas and more to give PlayStation fans the edge when it comes to their gaming lifestyle. This week, we welcome PS3 Game NBA JAM On Fire Edition and PS Vita Game Chronovolt to the Instant Game Collection. You’ll also find deeper discounts with the last week of the PSN Holiday Sale.

Important note: We’ll be updating the PlayStation Store today (Monday, 12/31) due to the New Year holiday. Therefore, this Plus update will be live later today when the update has published. (PS Vita, PS3, Sound Shapes)

Alternative Sources
Godchild1020  +   604d ago
Sony sure did end the year off with a bang. Just not sure if it was the bang we all wanted.

At least we have some great games to look forward to next year across all platforms, so I can't stay disappointed.

EDIT: For anyone buying Sound Shapes, make sure you purchase the one that specifies, both PS3 and Vita. Don't want to lose out on a second game for free.
#1 (Edited 604d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
rainslacker  +   603d ago
Fizzle might be a better word.:) However over the course of the last 11 months(signed up in February) I have gotten quite a few great games that I wouldn't have played otherwise. Quite honestly one of the best subscriptions I've ever had.
LOGICWINS  +   604d ago
"This week, we welcome PS3 Game NBA JAM On Fire Edition and PS Vita Game Chronovolt to the Instant Game Collection."

Garbage.

EDIT:

I'm loving the comment section on PS Blog. The consensus is that NA subscribers aren't being treated right.
#2 (Edited 604d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
porkChop  +   603d ago
That's because we aren't.

Not only are they giving us garbage, they're giving us a game centered around its multiplayer, whose servers are scheduled to go offline next Friday. Thanks a lot Sony.
Godchild1020  +   603d ago
The servers for NBA Jam: On Fire Edition (2011 Version) (PSN & XBLA) is completely different from the servers that are from the retail version of NBA Jam (2010 version) (PS3, Wii & Xb360).

The one that Sony is giving the NA+ users for free is completely different and the servers are not going to get shutdown any time soon.

Also, you can play the NBA Jam and the On Fire Eiditon offline, so its not centered around it's Multiplayer.
#2.1.1 (Edited 603d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(0) | Report
Snookies12  +   603d ago
It's really not centered around "online" multiplayer. If anything it's more focused on local multiplayer since it's more of a throwback game for old school fans.
rpd123  +   603d ago
It's true. EU gets some really good stuff and we get s*** for the most part.
jwk94  +   604d ago
Garbage deals this week, they didn't even get the Lumines price right.
#3 (Edited 604d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Snookies12  +   604d ago
I don't care for the sales or Chronovolt, but I love NBA Jam: OFE. I'm happy they're giving this for free, as I always wanted to get it, but never took the plunge. The game stays true to the classic, while giving you a great visual upgrade. Now if we could just get them to do Hangtime in HD.
#4 (Edited 604d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
aquamala  +   603d ago
another free game that I already bought (at full price), seriously PS+ is making me not want to buy more games
Riderz1337  +   603d ago
Sorry Sony can't read your mind and see what games you already have.
Flandy  +   602d ago
You're right but they could take a look at your trophy list which is pretty good too

EDIT: Not that I'm complaining I'm pretty happy about getting NBA JAM actually
#5.1.1 (Edited 602d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
GribbleGrunger  +   603d ago
Yeah, what Sony should do is ask third party devs and first party devs to make some AAA titles exclusively for future release on PS+ for nothing, just so that they can offer something that nobody bought.

I'm absolutely sick and tired of all the moaning. Don't subscribe to PS+ again please. Leave it for the people who know how to appreciate such things.
#5.2 (Edited 603d ago ) | Agree(21) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
Snookies12  +   603d ago
Lol, did the disagrees just not get your sarcasm there?
DivineAssault  +   603d ago
cool.. more free games are always appreciated
GribbleGrunger  +   603d ago
Jesus Christ, from those blog posts I'd have to assume that Americans are all children moaning that mummy didn't buy them exactly what they wanted for Christmas. For years and years the Americans gloated that they got treated better than the Europeans and now, because the Europeans are getting treated better, they stamp their feet like petulant teenagers. I know that ALL American gamers are not like this but WOW, it's difficult to draw any other conclusion after reading that.
#7 (Edited 603d ago ) | Agree(21) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
cpayne93  +   603d ago
When reading comments like that you have to remember that the biggest idiots are also the loudest. Those who aren't like that usually just don't say anything, so it gives off the impression they aren't there.

Yeah, EU has had the best experience with ps+, but Japan has had the worst. If anyone has a right to complain they do. Ps+ in NA has still been pretty awesome for me, it just happens to be on a dry spell right now. I'm sure it will pick up in the coming months.

Hoping some new big games come to Vita. Something like Unit 13 or even some psp games will be very appreciated.
Neo Nugget  +   603d ago
Aw sweet. I didn't know Ninja Gaiden 2 was coming out for the Vita ^^
Y_5150  +   603d ago
So getting Sound Shapes this week! Those free games are alright , but really why complain? We are getting a new PS3 and VITA game next week cause they are switching out Chronovolt and Scott Pilgrim. So look forward for next week :)
silkrevolver  +   602d ago
I didn't know Sound Shapes was available on the PS3.
Imma get that on sale right meow.
Y_5150  +   602d ago
Yes it's cross-Buy! You get it for PS3 and Vita. Must buy if you have both systems (like me!)
Flandy  +   602d ago
Just make sure to get the PS3 version since the blog doesn't say if the vita version comes with the ps3 version too
delboy  +   603d ago
Actually I don't like if they start to cut ps3 free content in favor of Vita.
I have a feeling we will see more and more Vita content on our ps3 systems.
Sony is trying hard to push the vita,but don't do it over my ps+ subscription, I bought ps+ trough a ps3 system and I want ps3 content.
I think Sony should split up the subscriptions?
Maybe 30$ for ps3+, 20$ for vita+ and 50$ if you want both?
Yes there are ps3 owners that don't like vita or any handhelds,so they don't need any of the vita offered stuff, give them options to choose.
I know my logic is somehow wrong, lol I expect a reward from Sony for not buying a vita.
Bladesfist  +   603d ago
Then you have people like me who do not own a PS3, only a vita. We are getting a worse deal than you guys as more than half the games we can't play.
hawkeyejonjon  +   602d ago
@Bladesfist vita is even lucky getting ps+ this early. It barely has games at the moment. I am happy with the PS Vita games due to that i am thankful that ps+ is on the system this early and on it at all. For the price yes i understand but understand that vita is even lucky on getting ps+. Give it some time. There must be some of those games that can hold you over like gravity rush or uncharted GA or the other 4 games.
delboy  +   602d ago
There is a reason for splitting up subscription.
You would pay less and be more happy with your vita.
Same goes for the ps3 ps+ subscribers.
jrbeerman11  +   603d ago
you want me to pay more? thanks
hawkeyejonjon  +   602d ago
@delboy
They won't cut ps3 content for PS Vita. They stated this. Every month there will be 3 ps3 games like it was since they announced the igc in june. December ps3 ps+ members got 5 ps3 games(Bioshock 2, super street fighter IV: arcade edition, anomaly warzone earth, retro city rampage, & Rochard) so for december ps3 ps+ members got 2 bonus games. PS Vita ps+ only got 2 games for december(retro city rampage & Chronovolt). They probably will cut ps3 content when the next playstation comes out.
#10.3 (Edited 602d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
BitbyDeath  +   602d ago
@delboy, you still get your minimum 3 games a month for PS3. No content is being cut for Vita.
We are now just getting more than ever.

Can't wait for the GoW Beta this month XD
black911  +   603d ago
Does nba jam have online? Because I thought EA sports was shutting down all its servers in 2 weeks.
vikingland1  +   603d ago
I'm not scared to try Cronovolt and NBA Jam out for the fun of it. If the aren't my types of games then I will delete them. Pretty simple.
silkrevolver  +   602d ago
Oh no... one off week for PS+

How will we ever survive...
matrixman92  +   602d ago
since there was that glitch last week that let people see the stuff coming out the upcoming week. Can people already see what is coming out next week?
Y_5150  +   602d ago
If I how do it, i'll try it and inform you and other peeps.
isyourhouseonfire  +   602d ago
Sony needs to seriously consider pulling PSN and PS Plus. It will hurt to start from scratch but its better now than later... This just isn't going to work.
delboy  +   602d ago
You mean shut it down,or?
Godchild1020  +   602d ago
What isn't going to work? I can still purchase content from the store and get free games from plus. It might be slow and take longer to get to the download process, but its not like I spend my whole day in there.
deadfrag  +   602d ago
Bring back the old PSN interface please!

The Legend of Korra Pro-Bends New Screens

9m ago - East meets west with The Legend of Korra, an adaptation of the Nickelodeon-fueled show by the Jap... | PC

The Best Console Bundles

9m ago - IGN - Your guide to the best PS4 bundles and the best Xbox One bundles. Ready to splurge on a... | Xbox 360

HellBlade Development Diary 1: The Announcement

10m ago - JM: HellBlade was revealed at Gamescom 2014 with a brand new trailer. Ninja Theory have given ver... | PS4

Capy’s Nathan Vella gives us an inside perspective on indie development

10m ago - Taking the world by storm – the Indie Fund’s Nathan Vella discusses the unstoppable indie movement | Xbox 360

Need Cash? (US Only)

Now - How would it feel to have your money struggles solved by this time tomorrow? We give fast loans from $100-$10,000+, and repayment terms up to 60 mo... | Promoted post

Noobist Preview: Kromaia

10m ago - Kromaia evolves the concept of a 3d-based shump, without forgetting its arcade roots, combining i... | Arcade