Submitted by Gekko 476d ago | opinion piece

GTA 5 on “Max” Settings for PC, 16GB of RAM?

Amir Ariff:

Blockbuster-bound GTA V is set for Spring 2013 launch on PS3 and Xbox 360, no official words yet from Rockstar Games whether there will be a PC release or not in the future.

However, if it is, then I think it’s time to start thinking about what are the PC requirements to play on “Max” settings. We have seen the graphics and effects of GTA 5, and they’re amazing, and for the most of us, we really have no idea of what the requirements to play on “Max” settings with this latest piece by Rockstar.

If we have to make a bet, It’ll most likely be very similar to Max Payne 3′s highest tested system requirements – only differences would be the next-generation CPUs and GPUs. (Grand Theft Auto V, PC)

Nafon  +   476d ago
Sorry, Amir. You don't know shit. I don't even think any game that is somewhat optimized for PC uses more the FOUR GB of ram.
FanboyPunisher  +   476d ago
One word, console port.

Just like FC3.

Resolution will be the only main differences, and how well the dev optimizes their cash grab port.
Blacktric  +   476d ago
"Just like FC3."

Playing it with 4 gig ram on a 64 bit Windows 7 home premium, GTX560 Ti and an Intel Q6700. No overclocking whatsoever, Ultra quality 35+ constant FPS with no dips. The game's executable is 32 bit anyway and all of that crap regarding the system requirements was just an obvious PR move to make the game look like it's a true sequel to Crysis in terms of technical requirements.
andrewer  +   476d ago | Funny
"One word, console port"
hmmmmm?
hellzsupernova  +   476d ago
Honestly far cry 3 looks amazing on pc it's ridiculously better on low settings then on my 360
O the console you can see lines through the terrain where the textures meet and the draw distance is terrible
My mates low spec pc on low settings smokes my 360 and it would smoke the ps3 version as well
It makes me sad
Pc for me next gen and maybe a ps4 if Sony can lure me in again with their great exclusive line up
Autodidactdystopia  +   476d ago
my only graphical issue on farcry 3 was when climbing towers and i could see the ocean the frames would drop. pretty much whenever i looked at the ocean or horizon from a high enough place the frames would drop. all other times i was 55-60fps

weirdest performance issue ever. youd think when looking at the most empty part of the map perf would go up but NO way i think they threw a SHIt load of Post p in the volumetric godrays and DOF my only explanation.
WalterWJR   476d ago | Bad language | show
kevnb  +   476d ago
Far cry 3 is amazing on PC, stop talking bs.
Nah... I have to give it yo ubi Farcry 3 on pc looks like gods day dream.

GTA 5 on “Max” Settings for PC, 16GB of RAM + graphics mods!
Mariusmssj  +   475d ago
I am not sure if you are aware but DSO has voted Far Cry 3 the most optimised PC game of 2012, Max Payne 3 coming in 2nd. Does not mean it will run on every machine but it mean that if you have a Quad core it will use all 4 cores
SilentNegotiator  +   476d ago
Can't a PC version be confirmed before we start the speculation?

Or did it get confirmed and I missed it? Because google isn't telling me if it was.
Ezz2013  +   476d ago
i was about to ask the same thing
ZombieNinjaPanda  +   476d ago
It's assumed because every GTA title has come to PC.
MestreRothN4G  +   476d ago
Say no to piracy!!!
d0nni3  +   476d ago
The only exception i've seen to this is planetside 2 which recommends 8GB for optimal performance at full graphic spec!

But i would agree wholeheartedly with what you've said nothing should be needing anything close to 16GB yet, it's complete overkill and bad optimization!
Snookies12  +   476d ago
Yeah, but that has an excuse... I mean, just look at how many people are in a match at once lol.
adorie  +   476d ago
Doesn't Max Payne 3 utilize up to 16gb's of ram?

o.O Nevermind, It's around 3gb, the 16gb is "tested specs"
#1.3.2 (Edited 476d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
ThanatosDMC  +   476d ago
Yeah, 16gb ram... that's just stupid. Though i do have 12gb of ram installed but i doubt i've ever used it.
#1.4 (Edited 476d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
ATi_Elite  +   476d ago
16GB of RAM! Man I can't stop laughing!!!

amazing how idiots who don't have REAL information or hard specs just make up CRAP!

16GB of ram...what is GTAV gonna render and let you edit Live 1080p video of Los Angeles at the same time!!! LMAO!

The Icenhancer mod doesn't even require that and I guarantee you GTAV will not look better than GTAIV w/ Ice mod!
Nafon  +   475d ago
That's the problem with N4G. A lot of crap articles or articles about youtube videos. I guess they're good for a laugh though lol.
bikar  +   476d ago
Game to use more than 3.2 GB of ram needs to be 64bit
I don't think that will happen
Bladesfist  +   475d ago
Well dice said they were going 64bit only for future releases, the world has to move on at some point.
DeadlyFire  +   475d ago
Even the most unoptimized games run with 4 GB of RAM as a maximum requirement. 6 GB at most by the end of 2013.
Angainor7  +   476d ago
nah...
MrAnderson  +   476d ago
nothing right now even uses more than 4...lol

it probably won't even need 8.
Petro  +   476d ago
Have to disagree with that, 4 GB is absolute minimum these days, I just few weeks ago gave my friend 12 GB of RAM cause Windows 7 + Skype + Origin + Battlefield 3 can and will eat up that 4 GB easy, and it will cause random hiccups. I would say that 6 Gb is enough for anything games can throw at you, but to be on the safe side I would go for 8 GB if you are a serious gamer. :) And if you do movie editing, rendering or any sort of textures, the more the merrier. I have 32 GB of 2400 MHz just in case, cause I'm a stupid like that :P
Bordel_1900  +   475d ago
I agree, 4GB today on PC is an absolute minimum. Like you say, Skyrim alone eats, 3.7 GB when running on my 16 GB computer. With the OS, Skype and a couple of Chrome tabs open it easily eats 6-7 GB of RAM.
f789790  +   475d ago
@Bordel

You have something wrong with your computer. I'm only using 3.5GB with what you described plug Killing Floor open. Yes virtual memory is off.
MrAnderson  +   475d ago
i didn't say the rest of your computer doesn't use RAM, I simply said no games use more than 4 right now, yes if you need 4 for a game and then extra for the rest of your pc, then 4 isn't really enough, but this article is claiming 16GB for a game, that is 4x what anything is using right now, not to mention GTA5 doesn't even look as good as something like BF3 or Crysis so it's never gonna happen, like I say, I never stated the rest of your PC won't need more, but 16? give me a break.
Petro  +   475d ago
The article is wrong that's for sure, but your post didn't exactly specify that you meant just a game. :P Even game developers take into account the memory usage of Windows and other stuff people usually have on their computer when they report those memory requirements. :)
punisher99  +   476d ago
No WiiU version? I thought this was why Nintendo brought out this console? But anyway. Does anyone know the native resolution this game is coded in for the PS3 and 360?
Deku-Johnny  +   476d ago
Where in the article does it mention the Wii U never mind whether there is a Wii U version in the works or not? This article is speculating on the PC version which no one knows if that even exists (it probably does). Why bring up three consoles in your comment that have nothing at all to do with the article?
punisher99  +   476d ago
@Deku-Johnny:
I just simply made an obvious observation. What difference does it make whether or not the article mentions the Wii U or not?? Its a multiplatform game.

"Why bring up three consoles in your comment that have nothing at all to do with the article?"

Because the game as we know it, is on the PS3 and 360 as the article itself stated.
Autodidactdystopia  +   476d ago
@ Punisher, ps3 and 360 hardcoded resolution is "Backne P" "Full SD Backne P"
Enemy  +   476d ago
That is one dumb theory. GTA5 was built as a console game, mostly. Why would it need 16GB to max out on PC?
BattleTorn  +   476d ago
Well said!!!!!
fermcr  +   476d ago
GTA4 was also built as a console game... but you needed a pretty hefty PC to max out the game, with enhancements and mods.
d0nni3  +   476d ago
This is nothing more than unfounded speculation, a good hit grabber for the site.

Well said Enemy
BattleTorn  +   476d ago
"no official words yet from Rockstar Games whether there will be a PC release or not in the future.

However, if it is, then I think it’s time to start thinking about what are the PC requirements to play on “Max” settings"

LMAO. "no official word" ... "I think it's time to start thinking about" it. lol.
Eldyraen  +   476d ago
Just to point this out: a couple PC games do suggest 8gb ram now for max settings. I know Far Cry 3 for high performance does and if I remember right something else next year does as well (can't find the game ATM but it was one I was looking forward to). Required? No, but still suggested ram is increasing.

I don't see any requiring or even suggesting 16gb any time soon though but 8 could be possible. I expect more PC games to begin with requirements of 4 once next gen comes out with High performance/quality PC versions slowly reach 8 in the next year or two rather often (especially if open world/sandbox as they have so much going on in every direction that you can't even see).

4gb is and should still be the normal ram amount though for 99% of games still for a while yet (again, at max).
#7 (Edited 476d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Autodidactdystopia  +   476d ago
They recommend that for Alt + tab functionality. So you dont have to wait 30 seconds for the pc to pull the rest of the OS back in to Ram when switching between a running game and other applications.
#7.1 (Edited 476d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Sarcasm  +   476d ago
Right but the point is still that even if they recommend 8, it is accounting for the game's usage and the rest of the system.

As it stands, there is not a single PC game at the moment that uses more than 4, heck if even 3. The most I've personally seen is 3.5gb from Planetside 2.

Most hover around the 2-3gb range.
Caress01  +   476d ago
Every PC gamer should at least have a ps3 or Xbox
Bordel_1900  +   476d ago
Why? So they can experience 720p gaming at 30 frames per second? ;)
#8.1 (Edited 476d ago ) | Agree(16) | Disagree(11) | Report | Reply
2pacalypsenow  +   476d ago
No so they can experience some great games only on Xbox/And Ps3 and not on PC
Bordel_1900  +   476d ago
I know, I was just being an ass :)

I have a PS3, and I love some of the exclusives. GT5, Uncharted, Heavy Rain, God of War etc.

I wish I could have GT5 on PC, that would be awesome.
LAWSON72  +   476d ago
Alot of xbox game are not even 720p
andrewer  +   476d ago
Sincerely, I don't think so. Nowadays Playstation exclusives ain't THAT thing compared to Playstation 2 exclusives (I still play Shadow of the Colossus and Sly Cooper...on PS2). And Xbox I can't talk because I never played so I don't have an opinion about it, it just doesn't attract me too much. IMO the best combination is PC for hardcore and Wii/Wii U for casual/Zelda/SSBB/Metroid/Supe r Mario games (although no Paper for me) and many other awesome Nintendo games.
WeAreLegion  +   476d ago
The Last Of Us
Pandamobile  +   476d ago
I have a PS3 and I love it.

Netflix all day er'ry day.
Convas  +   476d ago
ICWUTUDIDTHAR
aliengmr  +   476d ago
Meh.

I don't care about exclusives much anymore. They may be cheaper that PCs, but consoles still cost a good amount of money. At least for those of us not sponsored by Mom and Dad.

Halo and Uncharted aren't worth the cost of an entire system IMO.
Bladesfist  +   475d ago
Yes but I am way to busy with PC exclusives, 2012 had a HUGE amount of PC Exclusive titles, why would I pay £200 to pick up a couple more?
Caress01  +   475d ago
You can find a ps3 for a $100+. if the games like gtav won't be a PC title then chances are you won't play them sooner, but later or at all. its good to have a back that's all I'm saying
Rubberlegs  +   476d ago
Max Payne 3 has crazy high specs with 8-16GB of ram listed for recommended max settings but the game doesn't come to using that. I still hope they port it over like they did with Max Payne 3, they great job with PC version of Max Payne 3.
paddystan  +   476d ago
No game need 16 GB RAM, not 12 and not 6. PC games need max 4 GB RAM in any what kind of graphics settings.

I have 12 GB RAM in my gaming PC, Rockstar said that Max Payne 3 on max was gonna require 16 GB RAM, it did not. I checked out what Max Payne 3 needed whilw I was playing with everything on high, and it said about 3 GB RAM.

Nothing on PC on max require more than 4 GB RAM.
#10 (Edited 476d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Bordel_1900  +   476d ago
16GB RAM for PC costs next to nothing, so even if games in the future require 16GB to run on max it'll be one of the cheapest upgrades for your PC. I think I paid something like 70 US$ for 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM.
#11 (Edited 476d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
KontryBoy706  +   476d ago
wow was this written by a console fanboy or something? 16gb of RAM LOL... come on son. I bet the game wouldn't even utilize 8GB of RAM because of not being properly optimized for PCs. As a matter of fact I can't remember playing a single game on my PC that has used up at least 4GB of my 8GB of RAM even while running a browser or other apps in the background
#12 (Edited 476d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
sonicsidewinder  +   476d ago
Written by a babies first PC gamer i'd wager.

Probably only began playing this year. First game they played being the DayZ Mod.

One of 'those' gamers.
#13 (Edited 476d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
andrewer  +   476d ago
Nah, just upgraded to 8GB of RAM and it was just not to have problems with alt-tab on Battlefield 3.
Petro  +   476d ago
My friend had those too, now he is rocking 12 GB and all his random Battlefield 3 hickups are gone, you cant just max settings and have 4 GB anymore. :)
AKS  +   476d ago
I refuse to upgrade beyond the 8 GB I currently have until I see a legitimate reason to do so. I am not convinced that it will need any more than 8 GB.
MasterCornholio  +   476d ago
I believe this is highly unlikely.

From my new Samsung series 5

But dang is windows 8 strange.
#16 (Edited 476d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Deku-Johnny  +   476d ago
4GB is fine for most games on max and has been for a few years and it'll be a while until anyone needs much more than that. Games won't need 16GB for a long time.
Yukicore  +   476d ago
I'm more worried about proper processor usage and video card support, which was a big problem with GTA IV.

But well, I only ask of the game to be playable on PC, I do not expect perfect performance, as I can imagine what developers think about PC gaming and piracy. If there wouldn't be no piracy, all the attention would be directed to PC, as consoles as a multi-platform game-machines are horrible.
Basjohn  +   476d ago
God I just hope they use the same flying controls from San Andreas and not GTA IV, which went from fantastically easy to fly to a helicopter explosion simulator.
Th3 Chr0nic  +   476d ago
wtf i read the headline and it just makes me think whoever wrote it has no idea what it takes to really play pc games. i build pc for a living and not just gaming pc but servers and a lot more. it makes me laugh when i hear people claiming they NEED 16 gigs of ram in general.
chukamachine  +   476d ago
I have 8gb, it's not really used, not game comes anywhere close to even 4gb.
fullmetal297  +   476d ago
Anyone who has remotely touched PC gaming knows that having more video ram is more important for gaming than system ram because its much more faster and has higher bandwidth. Why do you think frames severely tanks on a 2GB video card when setting the resolution on ultra resolutions like 2560x1600?
#21 (Edited 476d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
jay2  +   476d ago
This stories flawed in a way I don't thinks been mentioned............. What is MP3 running like, whats it's load times and FPS? could be 2 seconds 150FPS, we don't know from this article. 16GB RAM, it'd have to be 2-3 Gens ahead. GTA 5 won't be that for ahead.
Basjohn  +   476d ago
Holy shit, this type of mis-leading title whoring is still allowed here?? This is all speculation, but it got them hits.

On the more important note: Of course not. There is yet to be a game using 8GB of ram yet alone 16GB. You would have to be using an x64 executeble in the first place (RS are lazy with ports so chances are low that will exist) to even breach the 4GB barrier. Go look in your gaming folders and try and count the amount of games that have an x64 exe. Chances are? None. The last x64 game I remember playing was the ORIGINAL crysis (which ran like shit anyway).

RAM just isn't an issue in PC gaming anymore, not since the average gaming pc surpassed 4GB at least, and this type of bs hype is only polluting what people think about it.
llMurcielagoll  +   476d ago
One would use upto 16GB of ram say for, rendering and graphics designing, but not for gaming. I don't even know the system requirements but GTA V would need A HELL OF A LOT lower than a 16GB Ram expectation

I personally would worry about my graphics card, not my RAM, processor or my hard drive RPM speed. I may play new games at minimum settings for now but if I want a higher standard I'd have to go for nVidia's GTX600 series.
Megaton  +   476d ago
What's with all this talk of 16gb of RAM floating around here lately? As others have said, games don't need more than 4gb as it is. Stop parroting whoever ignorantly started this meme about 16gb of RAM being required for gaming.
AllroundGamer  +   475d ago
bought 16gb ram with my latest PC about a half year ago, so no problem here :P but still that is a sign of bad optimization...
BertlSenix  +   475d ago
The port won't need a strong hardware

GTA5 with mods will need slightly better hardware but nothing like you think.
Battlefield 3 and Crysis 3 are for a long time the only 2 games that will use good hardware.

GTA5 will be a console port so its limited from the beginning.
GTA4 with mods already looks better than GTA5 on consoles and probably the standard version from PC if there will be one.
Same goes for Skyrim - If you can run the "100 mods" version(google it) you can see how ES7 will probably look like.
Chucky2003  +   475d ago
who wrote this doesn't know shit,and the same can be said about those who aproved this crap
Tzunoy  +   475d ago
4Gb is perfect from that point up is for multitasking. Don't you agree? then you are a noob go out and buy 32Gb to see no difference in gaming.

TLF Video: Watch Lead Dev Chris Get Repeatedly Smashed By Hard Mode

1h ago - Arcen Games: "From the creators of AI War: Fleet Command comes The Last Federation -- an all-new... | PC

Mobile Games to Play IF

1h ago - Game Mob hasn't done one of these in a while. Basically, they will pull together a list of games... | iPhone

Ramblet Episode 4

1h ago - Michael Zack joins Jarrett Green to discuss his article “The Real Reason Nintendo is In Trouble.”... | Industry

Blizzard Interview: Paul Warzecha - Creating Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

1h ago - Paul Warzecha has the sort of job that artistic kids dream about. He is, officially, a Lead Chara... | PC

Enter to Win a PS4 and More!

Now - We are buying one lucky N4Ger a PS4 just for commenting on any N4G story! | Promoted post

Massive Entertainment exclusive: The story of E3 2013's 'The Division' reveal

1h ago - "It’s my favorite game memory. From being in the industry for 15 years, it’s absolutely my favori... | PC