Submitted by DeeZee 736d ago | opinion piece

Let’s Be Honest, Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Looks Like a Hot Mess

GR's DeShaun Zollicoffer writes:

I defended FFXIII against hoards of detractors, and I thought FXIII-2 was a good game. But after watching the trailer for Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, I feel like my love affair with the series is about to come to an abrupt end. How should I put this – it looks like a hot mess. Hopefully this was just a bad trailer, but here are a few reasons why it doesn’t do a good job at convincing us to buy the game. (Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, PS3, Xbox 360)

« 1 2 »
Kamikaze135  +   736d ago
Yep..... :(
Abash  +   736d ago
Well no one expected it to even look promising from the moment it was rumored to be in development.
crxss  +   736d ago
let's be honest, it shouldn't have been made :/
Blastoise  +   736d ago
The game looks terrible, but graphics and framerate will be the least of it's problems.

I'm calling it now, it will be just as awful as the last two, only now with some Assassins Creed "let's appeal to the westerners, because Assassins Creed sells a lot" platforming parts. But it will get semi-good reviews based on the fancy graphics, the brand name and the fact that they promise (once again) it's not as linear.

But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong
#1.1.2 (Edited 736d ago ) | Agree(23) | Disagree(10) | Report
MaxXAttaxX  +   736d ago
The art direction is very uninspired as well.
iamtehpwn  +   736d ago
The trailer seems to come from a much older build of the game. If you look at Screenshots from a more current build, the game looks significantly better graphically:
pr0digyZA  +   736d ago
Those shots looked touched up and much to clean.
majiebeast  +   736d ago
Calling bullshots.
SSJBen  +   736d ago
Those are downsampled screenshots, so yeah they obviously will look significantly better. Unfortunately, downsampling a game isn't an option on consoles.
DA_SHREDDER  +   736d ago
F graphics. I mean sure I would love to have pretty games all the time, but if that's all they are gonna be then I hope they go bankrupt.
rainslacker  +   736d ago
Square may get a lot of hate, but one thing is true, their games always look stunning. The textures used in the trailer didn't mesh with Lightning character model, and there wasn't a lot of lighting detail or shader work going on, so that says to me this is nowhere close to what the final game will look like. The battle graphics(particularly the buildings) looked like placeholders to me, as it looked like something you'd see from a first year art student learning how to texture. If people believe they would have that in the final game like that, then they are seriously mistaken.

I can't speak to the framerate, because I haven't seen a high quality version of this trailer yet, and there were quite a few artifacts introduced by that alone.
medziarz  +   736d ago
No, it's not.
It actually looks like a legitimate RPG world to explore, this time around.
#1.3 (Edited 736d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
Murad  +   736d ago
This game looks very similar to what Kingdom Hearts had to offer in terms of gameplay. Hopefully, that is true.
Ranma1  +   736d ago
I saw the trailer, and it seems they are just reusing the same battle system. Except I didnt see an autobattle feature, which is a step in the right direction (if auto battle has been removed).

I hope Square does go back to their glory days...for the sake of the JRPG genre
ritsuka666  +   736d ago
Autobattle is a pretty old JRPG function in FF games. Anyway, if the haters are hating on the Auto-Battle, they could always do it manually (but the Haters be always hatin)
#1.4.1 (Edited 736d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report
jakmckratos  +   736d ago
I kinda like it?
Qrphe  +   736d ago
I'm on the same boat.
Murad  +   736d ago
I honestly do not understand why people disliked your comment so much. The game does look like it has potential, even though I personally believe this editorial is very biased considering that it judged it based off not only CSI Miami, but also, the other two games. Considering that the other two games did receive high scores, they were not bad, but could improve, I believe that this can be the same. Especially considering that it uses the same Kingdom Hearts Gameplay features, or so it seems.
It does look pretty slick. And I absolutely hated the first one..... didn't even touch the second.
zgoldenlionz  +   736d ago
The second was better IMO but still nowhere near a great game. Hopefully this one will be better as well might end up being decent, guess we will see.
VileAndVicious  +   736d ago
I think it looks promising as well. I need to see more to be convinced though.
Mathew9R   736d ago | Spam
TheMutator  +   736d ago
Please no more FF XIII crap , damn i miss Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobou Uematsu FF , thanks GOD i have Lost Odyssey , Blue Dragon and The Last Story!!!
Murad  +   736d ago
I Personally do not understand why people like Lost Odyssey. It was a very insipid title with little character development, and overall a sad excuse for a true JRPG. However, I must say The Last Story is and will always be a true inspiration for years to come.
ToZanarkand86  +   736d ago
The music and the Thousand years of dreams made Lost Odyssey good.
kalkano  +   736d ago
I'm on the edge, about to jump ship on the entire franchise. This better just be "spinoff material". If they keep going down this road with the main, numbered games, I'm gone.
Feylynn  +   736d ago
If you are still just questioning jumping ship at 14-2 and 13-3, 13vs, 13T-0, and an insultingly bad ff7 port what are you waiting for? 13-5, 14-4, 10-3, 8-2, and another ff7 spin off?
GenericNameHere  +   736d ago
The first thing they mentioned was the frame rate? Thank goodness!!

I couldn't believe Square Enix would release a trailer with such a horrible frame rate! I could forgive the FFV IOS trailer they released since it's on mobile, and maybe they just port it there for a quick cash grab. But this is a sequel of a sequel to a main FF tittle!! Maybe they're using the Luminous Engine, and current-gen consoles can't handle it, but still, that's a highly noticeable frame rate drop. I WISH FF:LR sells WAY LESS than even XIII-2 did, just so SE can stop thinking fans actually like the XIII saga, and start on FFXVI.
Rex_Aeternae  +   736d ago
In case you didn't see the posts about it being an early build (of which I'm sure it is) the whole point was saying that they used an early version of the game which has not been polished or perfected and so of course the framerate would be dropping. The final released version will be polished and so the framerate issues, the textures, and what have you will be fixed before the game is sold.
SlxTeN  +   736d ago
for some reason it felt like square wants to put lightning into assassins creed shoes.
josephayal  +   736d ago
Best Final Fantasy ever, All we do in battle is press X
Rex_Aeternae  +   736d ago
Okay I know I'm not an expert on Final Fantasy but isn't that what you did in every other Final Fantasy game? Yea, the button you had to press may have been different but it is still a selection of what move you wish to make. (and it is still only one button you press)
wishingW3L  +   736d ago
your argument has 1 fatal flaw, FF13 was the first to have an auto-command battle system... That's what he means by pressing just X because you don't even need to use the D-pad to select anything else. XD
#8.1.1 (Edited 736d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(5) | Report
brish  +   736d ago
@wishingW3L

Have you ever played other final fantasy games?

In FFVII to beat the game you had to level to the point where you could just press X continuously to beat almost every fight in the game. If you had to use the d-pad for most fights you weren't wrong enough to beat the boss.

In FFXIII you pressed X but you also had to switch paradigms all the time which does require using the d-pad.

Older FF games where a lot more "Just press x" than FFXIII.
Hicken  +   736d ago
@wishingW3L: Your argument has one fatal flaw:

You couldn't possibly beat even many regular monsters just pressing X. Not shifting Paradigms was a good, fast way to die, and even doing so didn't guarantee you a victory.

Simply put: that was BS started by people who didn't like XIII because they were disappointed in... whatever the hell they didn't like about it. Most of em didn't even play the damn games, but talk as if they've experienced em, THEN other people hop on their opinions like it's the Gospel.

Sorry, but not only is Auto Battle an option, but JUST pressing X hardly works at all, and is pretty useless as soon as characters learn new roles.

On topic, this DOES look like a super early build. With it not looking as good as XIII-2(which didn't look as good as XIII), the chances that it's anywhere NEAR a final build are slim to none. They show off the platforming, but they don't really show what the purpose of it is, so I can't really comment on it, yet. As for her outfit, I don't really have anything against what Lightning's wearing. To me, it's kinda sexy; then again, my definition of "sexy" is so broad it's almost pointless to define it.

Oh, well. Haters gonna hate, I guess?
rainslacker  +   736d ago
@Hicken

Thank you for being reasonable about the hater situation.

On Topic:
Agreed it's an early build. Squares games don't look or play like that, especially not their flagship title.

I don't dislike her outfit, but I still prefer the original. I think it's better suited to her personality. This new one is trying to make her into some sort of epic warrior, which just isn't how she presented herself. There may be a story behind it, not unlike 13-2, so I'll hold off final judgement for now.

Her weapon in the first game was really cool as well, and she handled it masterfully. 2nd game with a bigger sword she still handled it like a rapier, and this new thing just looks kind of clunky. Hopefully they can improve on those animations.
Qrphe  +   736d ago
You're right, I remember when it was "All we do in battle is press A" back in the day.
-Gespenst-  +   736d ago
I think it's a strong trailer, and while Lightning's costume is perhaps a little bit over-designed, I still think it's a pretty awesome combination of the outfits from the previous two games.

The red and fabric aspects with pockets and belts and whatnot recall the XIII outfit, while the armour - particularly the abdomen- recalls the XIII-2 outfit. I think it's a pretty clever design. I could do without those metal strip things on the arms though. Still, there's like 20 other costumes or something.

Back to the trailer though, the music is synchronized very well. Particularly during the final part where she takes off the sunglasses. The cadence of the music there makes that really awesome.

Plus that footage is clearly an early build, and it still looks neat to me.

ALSO: Dirge of Cerberus is good. At least story and music-wise. Also the secret ending is something to watch. I reckon it points towards a VII-2
#9 (Edited 736d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
GenericNameHere  +   736d ago
What does DoC have to do with this article, other than being Final Fantasy related and also a spin-off to a main FF title?
Rex_Aeternae  +   736d ago
In the actual article near the very end the author stated, "I want to believe this, but it looks like we may have another Dirge of Cerberus on our hands." Essentially saying that he found DoC to be a bad game and thinks that this game will end up like it. -Gespenst- (sorry if I spelled that wrong) is stating his opinion of DoC and stated it like Post script not as part of the actual comment.
SnipeySnake  +   736d ago
Haha man this game won't be nearly as good as DoC was.
ayabrea93  +   736d ago
the trailer looks a bit rough but it's running on an old build so I'm reserving judgement right now. I think most people are gonna hate this due to versus xiii being constantly silenced which isn't entirely fair. I can't help but feel square Enix should have released this after versus so fans could have had a rest from lightning and actually anticipate her return but oh well
medziarz  +   736d ago
versus is stuck in limbo because of FF14, the MMO they are scrambling to get completely redone.
the game we're all waiting for should have been in full production since 14's original launch, had the latter not been a complete mess
#10.1 (Edited 736d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
ayabrea93  +   736d ago
yeah I read about them saying ff14 took away a lot of resources from other development teams. lots of people will blame this though just like they blamed 13-2. I like to think to myself that versus is taking so long because of the world map, remember how they said a ff7 remake would take 15 years, I'm starting to believe them lol
Blackcanary  +   736d ago
That is kind of wrong FF14-2 ARR is being made by the dev team that made FF11 online and the old dev team that made made FF14 the first which failed is now working on the development of FF11. The dev team that was work on verse 13 doesn't really have anything to do with 14.
Kratoscar2008  +   736d ago
This game i dont understand it, apparently the ONLY thing connecting this game with XIII and FF are Lightning and Hope. So fans of the original RPG game will only jump for Lightning instead of the RPG elements meaning that no FF fan will get this but Lightning fans surely will.

Im still waiting to see Lightning become "A more refined person".
medziarz  +   736d ago
Actually this might turn out to be a proper FF game in terms of mechanics - NPCs, cities, exploration, actual quests/missions with consequences, the combination of magic and technology
Kratoscar2008  +   736d ago
Yeah but the gameplay and some design choices (Like making Lightning the only playable character/stealth based missions/platformers) doesnt ring with FF at all.
TuxedoMoon  +   736d ago
I liked 13-2 a lot, except for the part where they sold off essential parts of the story as DLC. I'm sure square will stick to their guns and sell us the "REAL" ending for 13-3 eventually.

on topic, the trailer did make the game look choppy. I really don't like Lightning new armor. It's just plain ugly. Where as the 13-2 armor looked elegant, this one looks just plain bad and impractical...even for FF standards.

Still going to try this game out whenever it comes out.
j-blaze  +   736d ago
i personally like what i've seen, the game sounds and looks great
AdmiralSnake  +   736d ago
The same trolls on every single article bashing final fantasy....anyway I wanna see more before I make a judgement, I'm excited for it, and hope we end the saga and move on to versus.
zerocrossing  +   736d ago
And apparently all you do is defend everything, I can understand not wanting to pass judgement early on, but have you actually watched the trailer?.
AdmiralSnake  +   736d ago
Um...I've watched the trailer ? Lol if there was nobody to constantly bash this on every single article, I wouldn't need to defend. And most of the time, I don't even waste my time defending anything on this site.

I've watched the trailer plenty of times, I fail to see your point lol.

I'm almost positive I don't see you responding to any of these trolls who bash final fantasy and the ones who support it...on every single article.
Root  +   736d ago
So lets get this straight AdmiralSnake

Despite not playing it yourself YOU guys who like FF13 can judge the game by saying it looks good but other people can't say it looks bad

....yeah great logic there.
Kos-Mos  +   736d ago
You can say whatever you want, but the Japanese creates a million times more life-like human characters than western jaggy and clumsy developers.
The truth is always stronger than opinions.
wishingW3L  +   736d ago
no. lol
#15.1 (Edited 736d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
SageHonor  +   736d ago
You sir are CORRECT!
Tzuno  +   736d ago
Let me reformulate: looks like sims and assassins creed altogether. Disastrous.
zerocrossing  +   736d ago
I really want to like Final Fantasy XIII.... I really do :(

I enjoyed every FF Ive played up until 13, it just saddens me to see the franchise going down the drain because the heads at Squenix are morons.
medziarz  +   736d ago
still two more FF13 games - the better ones i hope
SkyCrawler  +   736d ago
Yeah....I'm just gonna say it.

SQUARE, where the HELL is FF vs 13? This game looks completely washed out. Not a big fan of the city themed battle stages. Looks so dry and colorless.
TwistedMetal  +   736d ago
I think the whole 13 series and the mmo look like a mess and ill continue to bash and not buy and have hate for it the more some people act like they are perfect awesome games when thats not even close to true. Im tired of delusional fans. I think its because x360 owners mostly just play the 3 shooters and sports games so when any game thats not a shooter comes out they lap it up because they been playing boring bland shooters the whole time. They completely have no grasp on quality at this point.

not only has square enix games been crappy this gen but there trying to make everything into an mmo and all there games have been thrown together cheap stuff. They need to just focus on vs 13 and games that people ask for and want.
Ravenor  +   736d ago
Generalizing audiences is awesome! /sarcasm
silkrevolver  +   736d ago
Graphically, there is some ugly ass shit going on with the environments.

But frankly, it looks pretty fun to me.
Like I thought XIII's battle system was going to be like when I saw the original trailer 6 years ago.
LAWSON72  +   736d ago
I want this to have a good ending for 13 and finally get vs. I am a huge fan of ff and always will be just really hope this is not a mess like 13-2.
Dragonshardz  +   736d ago
People are still expecting something good after that atrocity that was XIII? Square Enix and Crapcom are on a stroll people... get clear before it is too late.
#22 (Edited 736d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
Bellcross  +   736d ago
Fool me once, fool me twice, will people ever learn?
#23 (Edited 736d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
wishingW3L  +   736d ago
fanboys never learn.
Tei777  +   736d ago
Conceptually it looks better then XIII and XIII-2 combined. But the execution at the moment is looking bad, poor frame rate and barron unconvincing towns. Luckily both things are sort of expected to be improved upon as progression goes on.
iamlegend9999  +   736d ago
Not gonna lie, i was hype before the trailer came out. But when it did i was like "oh". It just doesnt' seem right. I loved final fantasy XIII and XIII-2. But this just doesn't feel right. They should have just made XIII-3 and kept noel and let him finish the story. Isn't lighting suppose to be in trouble. Then the fighting system is a wanna be kingdom hearts/final fantasy Versus XIII. I'm sorry but unitl i see another trailer that actually makes the game look good. I won't be buying this. Guess i got to wait for next gen with the next final fantasy.
carlocgc  +   736d ago
hope it flops harder than XIII-2 and sends the message that we dont like the new direction SE have taken
PS4isKing_82  +   736d ago
No thanks ill stick to my ps1 for my ff and rpg fix until square gets its act together. Ps1 + square soft= rpg heaven.
Square enix + current gen = rpg hell.
Jag-T1000  +   736d ago
If nobody wants lightning, I'll take her.
rataranian  +   736d ago
oh man. you guys are doing it again. ...The graphics were never the problem in the first 2 games.
ILive  +   736d ago
From one trailer of a game that is meant to be released next year is why the game "looks a hot mess?" Now, if the game were to be releasing next month, I would agree, given the pictures that were shown displaying how unfinished the game is. Its coming out in the US near fall. This article is stupid and pointless because it ignores this fact. If pictures weren't taken from the trailer I believe that no one would have noticed.
#30 (Edited 736d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
« 1 2 »

SuperPhillip Central: Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U) Review

16m ago - Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric is an unpolished title with plenty of good ideas that are overshadowed... | Wii U

Review: Bayonetta 2 (Wii U) - Nintendomination

16m ago - The Umbran witch is just cool, sexy and quick-witted, and could teach some princesses lot of sel... | Wii U

Metro GameCentral Video Games Top 20 of 2014 – from Mario Kart 8 to Shadow Of Mordor

24m ago - GameCentral names its favourite games from one of the most controversy-filled years gaming has ev... | PC

12 Days of VR Gaming – Day 8: QBEH-1: The Atlas Cube

24m ago - One of the very few finished products available with official native support of the Oculus Rift h... | PC

Grand Theft Auto V (XB1) Review

Now - Ken returns to Los Santos and gets lost in its world again. | Promoted post

FarCry 4 - Review - Leviathyn

24m ago - Leviathyn - Pagan Min is easily one of the funniest dictators/bosses to exist in the video game i... | PC