Submitted by Breadcrab 614d ago | opinion piece

The DmC sex scene is actually good characterization

"The controversy surrounding DmC: Devil May Cry has started to build up again, to the point where longtime series fans are once again steamrolling forums and comments sections with their rants about how they won’t be picking up the game. At this point, I’ve pretty much accepted that they just personally don’t like the game’s new direction or perhaps its gameplay alterations, and that’s understandable. However, that doesn’t mean I don’t have a rant of my own to give you folks tonight, because there’s been one recent event in particular that I feel needs to be addressed." (Michael Urban, OnlySP.com) (DmC: Devil May Cry, PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

Snookies12  +   614d ago
*hits head against desk* It has NOTHING to do with the game's new direction. It's just that the game took away so much of what made Devil May Cry so good in the first place! I'd be somewhat fine with new Dante, I'd be fine with all the new characters, and the scenery, and the look of the game. Those things don't bother me as much as the horrible gameplay decisions they made. Plus the fact that they blatantly threw hate at old school fans of the series who rightfully complained about serious issues the game had.

/rant

Sorry, you'll have to forgive me. I just start feeling like I'm one of the only ones who even gave a crap about what Devil May Cry used to be at times...
#1 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(44) | Disagree(15) | Report | Reply
Breadcrab  +   614d ago
Alright, I added 'gameplay alterations' in there as well. Happy?

Not that it's really even the point of the article. XD
LOGICWINS  +   614d ago
The only gameplay decision that I have a problem with is that you can't immediately dodge mid combo. Pressing R1 during a "Judgement" combo does nothing. Everything else I'm happy with. I like the new Angel chain thing that allows you to pull yourself towards enemies, this makes it way easier to chain combos.

And despite what others think, I like the 30 fps. No longer do I need to have the reflexes of a 12 year old Japanese kid to counter an enemy attack or pull off an awesome combo.
#1.2 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(35) | Report | Reply
ZombieNinjaPanda  +   613d ago
I've never see anyone post that they enjoy having less FPS before. I'm beyond words at this moment.
wishingW3L  +   613d ago
logic never make sense. And he obviously doesn't know what frame-rate is based on that last part. He thinks higher frame-rate = faster gameplay but what it really means is more accurate gameplay.
#1.2.2 (Edited 613d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(1) | Report
LOGICWINS  +   613d ago
@Zombie- Killzone/Battlefield purposely employ 30fps gameplay to mimic realisitic gunplay. Its a design choice. If GG/DICE wanted to adopt 60fps, that would be a problem because it would counter the original gameplay model. Real life soldiers don't have the running speed of Hussien Bolt.

"logic never make sense"

And thats where I stopped reading. Assuming u wanted me to take ur comment seriously, starting with an insult won't work.
AuToFiRE  +   613d ago
@Logic

No. The higher the framerate the less blur you get. In real life our vision does not blur, the higher the framerate the crisper and better looking the image will be.
Reverent  +   613d ago
@Logic, what? DICE didn't intentionally give BF3 30FPS... It's simply all the consoles could handle. If they INTENDED the game to have 30FPS, why do good gaming PC's run the game at 80-120FPS? Don't you think they would have limited it to them too if they wanted to "simulate realistic gun-play"? I'm sorry, but that's just dumb. Less FPS means choppy gameplay. More FPS means smooth gameplay. Smooth=Realistic.

Also, again you seem to display that you believe Frames Per Second actually affect the speed of the game. It doesn't. It's simply how many frames the game refreshes per second, which leads to better looking animation and crisper control/view. If a game is running at 30FPS, the soldier is going to move at the exact same speed as if the game were running at 200FPS; Just the 200FPS soldier is going to looking a lot better.
#1.2.5 (Edited 613d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report
Pandamobile  +   613d ago
Logic Fails.
Eamon  +   613d ago
and quite epicly too.
onyoursistersback  +   614d ago
WTF was that video!?! DLCampcom is really REALLY trying hard to steal my money.

#1.3 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
LOGICWINS  +   614d ago
Apparently I'm the only person on the Internet who thought that was pretty hot.
zerocrossing  +   613d ago
You're not alone man, the more I see of this game the more reason I have to dislike it.

I have no idea why DmC has so many defending it, the core fans are the ones getting screwed over here.
#1.4 (Edited 613d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Kurylo3d  +   613d ago
curious... what exactly are u missing from the originals? Other then the overly corny story (except for dmc1). Just curious. What are the "core fans" missing. I have purchased every single dmc game so far... am i not a core fan for loving the direction of this one?
zerocrossing  +   613d ago
@Kurylo3d

Dante was a damaged but likeable rogue, who's character ark in DMC3 opened him up making him one of the best and loved action game characters of all time.

Sure the games have always been corny, but that's part of the charm, Id take corny over trashy and dirty any day.

The plot reboot means we may never have any of the questions answered regarding certain characters/events from previous games, and considering how many question DMC4 posed, that's a shame. Also the new plot is pretty bad, feels like it came straight out of a poorly written comic book.

This has been said over and over but, 30fps for a action game, especially when it's DMC is pathetic, were not playing GOW or or some mere hack n slash, DMC is all about fast paced action with precision combat which is heavy on style.

Characters look ugly in the reboot, and I I'm not against cursing in games but I am when it's merely done for attention, Oh and now the "controversial video game sex scene" Wow... edgy.

And well no, no you probably aren't a core fan if you like this new direction because you've missed the point of why the previous games are superior... the game is just awful and how anyone can like it being as choppy, broken and unappealing as it is, is frankly beyond me.
lizard81288  +   613d ago
I seen that they altered the combo system too. It now rewards players for using the same combo over and over again. In the past games, you get rewarded for mixing up your combos. Also you can achieve the SSS Rank very easily now. You can even stand around and the ranking won't go down.
Tontus  +   613d ago
GoW runs at a variable framerate which stays around 50 fps by the way (even with full v-sync). The new DmC running at 30fps is terrible considering he series is known to be very fast pace and it isn't even close to being as good looking as the 2010 release GoW3 so there's no excuse to to have it running at 60fps.

It doesn't bother me because I'm buying God of War: Ascension next year, the developers of that series always deliver exceptionally well and would never abandon their fans.
OneAboveAll  +   613d ago
It's a reboot. Thus it's not supposed to necessarily have everything the old game had that made "them" good.

Your rant is invalid.

@Logicwins...

Again with this guy. As for Dice using 30fps for Battlefield. The hardware simply can't run at anything more than that because it's OLD HARDWARE. If it could and they had a choice between 30 and 60 they would have went with 60.

DURRRRRRRR
#1.5 (Edited 613d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Reverent  +   613d ago
Granted, that doesn't make it a "good" Reboot. But I agree with you're second statement about the hardware not being capable of running the game at a higher FPS. I have no idea what Logic was thinking.
#1.5.1 (Edited 613d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
DragonKnight  +   613d ago
@Snookies12: The new direction is actually a problem because of what it did to iconic characters and how it tries to cash in on the Devil May Cry name whilst being nothing like the Devil May Cry games. The only good thing about this game is the ending credits. This game is absolutely terrible and there is no way to defend it. I suggest you don't bother wasting your time with articles from apologisers. They simply don't understand and actually like supporting sh*tty games like DmC or RE6.
HonestDragon  +   611d ago
The more I read about this game, the more obvious it becomes that DmC is doing anything but insulting the original Devil May Cry. I'm starting to see it more as an abomination on so many levels. Ugly character design, the stupid half angel/demon background, ridiculous themes and ideas, very easy rankings in combat, and blatant disregard for the Devil May Cry name.

I just tried the demo of it on my friends PS3 and the damn thing froze up three times without us continuing at all. We experienced a few glitches that almost broke the demo. A coworker had a glitch that caused new Dante to glide continuously throughout the stage. And this game is due in the first couple months of 2013. If the demo is glitching and freezing up, plus what I mentioned earlier, there is no hope for DmC at all.
Godmars290  +   614d ago
Please: stop talking.

I don't even want to hear about this damn game anymore.
Breadcrab  +   614d ago
There's this thing called free speech.

Or in this case, free typing.
#2.1 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(38) | Report | Reply
Godmars290  +   614d ago
Then you wont mind me exercising my free speech right by saying that not only am I not buying this game, I'm not even going to bother to read this article because I feel that it would be a total waste of my time.

I mean FFS, do you honestly expect people to care that much about a crappy implied sex scene featuring ugly people? What I've cared to see of DmC's narrative has convinced me that its bad and uninteresting whereas with the games its failed to copy their narratives were bad but entertaining. Just like gameplay prior to the series offered different levels or reward to casual and hardcore. Not just offer a bland dump.

Trying to defend one crappy part of crap is just a waste of energy. That my opinion which I'm just as entitled to offer as you have have. Difference being I'm further expressing mine to ignore yours after reading the article title about something I've already chosen not to open my wallet for.

Good day to you sir!
ZombieNinjaPanda  +   613d ago
Sorry but N4g is owned by someone. You can go take your free speech out on the streets of DC, but here you can't.
Kurylo3d  +   613d ago
lol nice argument, but do u own this website?
ZombieNinjaPanda  +   613d ago
No I don't. But if you try to say whatever you want on here, the mods have the right to ban you if they don't like it.
#2.1.4 (Edited 613d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report
Eamon  +   613d ago
There are two things in life.

Free speech.
and Bullshit.
MattyG  +   614d ago
You obviously missed the article from last week where people cared about said "crappy implied sex scene". They cared a lot actually. Maybe it's not worth a whole article, but if he has good points about the subject it's no skin of my (or your) nose.
#2.2 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
Godmars290  +   614d ago
These comments are indeed "The Skin Off My Nose".

I realize that I'm coming off as offensive, that some effort was put into writing this, but the thing not being understood is that this is akin to the Little Dutch Boy putting his finger in a leaking crack, when the rest of the damn dam has already broken. Yeah people cared about the stupid sex scene, but only as a further outlet to vent frustrations about other issues surrounding the game.
#2.2.1 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(4) | Report
Roccetarius  +   613d ago
You will keep hearing about this untill it releases. As long as they get some publicity, uninformed people will buy the game. There is even a small group of people jumping sites to void all the negatives.
Godmars290  +   613d ago
No, we'll be hearing about it afterwards for some time as well.

Either its going to manage to sell well in which case NT and their defends will say, "F*** All Haters", or it going to bomb and the same parties will say, "F*** All Haters For Spreading Your Hate. It Was Your Fault the Game Failed Not Ours." Which will spawn any number of articles positive and negative.
League_of_Draven  +   614d ago
It's not a sex scene. They have their clothes on.
Enemy  +   614d ago
It's clothed sex, man! Deal with it!

Seriously though, how else are they going to sell this garbage? Sure as hell won't be the demo that did it.
#3.1 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
SageHonor  +   614d ago
I don't care if sex is in a game or not but you don't NEED it for characterization at all unless the person themselves is a freak or nympho.
Pozzle  +   613d ago
I wouldn't be surprised if the sex scene was included not because it's vital to the plot or because it will add to character development, but because Tameem thinks sex scenes are ~cool~ and ~edgy~.
zerocrossing  +   613d ago
Probably the later.

Im seriously wondering if Capcom and NT have any shame left, after insulting the fanbase butchering the plot/game mechanics and now we have a completely unnecessary sex scene just for the sake of it, what else can they do to piss us off?.
Kurylo3d  +   613d ago
really? Sex scenes (even unecessary ones as u put it...) are a negative? Do you instantly turn off a movie cause u see some random titties flash? lol... Your playing a game about demons and sin and your going to say dont include any kind of sex? lol Retarded argument.
RyuX19  +   613d ago
Exactly. Tameem said it himself "This is also the first game I've written, cast and directed myself. If i do my job right, you should be seeing a story of Dante that breaks the myth that all videogame stories are trite and will never stand up to the best that theatre and film have to offer." yet he does this poorly taste sex scene that's there for no real reason other than to show how wrong the direction this game has gotten.

And that myth that he speaks of has already been broken numerous times. Look at game like Metal Gear or Deus Ex or Max Payne. All of those games have great stories and none of them needed this pointless crap.
Saucyknight  +   614d ago
I don't even mind dantes new look(although I prefer the old one) and the gameplay feels good but I'm not liking the new direction, vulgarity and what not. Seems like they think that it needs to be more dirty and disgusting to broaden their fan base. I don't care for it, but that's just me.
Kurylo3d  +   613d ago
When u think of demons u dont think vulgarity or whatever u wanna call it plays a part? Horror, sex, vulgarity, evil... and violence is what i think.
Pozzle  +   613d ago
Aaaand that's the type of demographic Ninja Theory wants to appeal to. The demographic who thinks adding sex scenes and lots of swearing somehow makes a game about demons more "mature" or whatever.
VileAndVicious  +   613d ago
@Pozzle

Kurylo is just saying that in this game centered around "demons" (which are usually affiliated with sin and evil, imagine that) these darker grittier themes arent really all that out of place...and they kind of arent.
MattyG  +   614d ago
It wasn't entirely necessary. I think it's more to be over the top than anything, but I also think people shouldn't be up in arms over it.
#6 (Edited 614d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
DrChainsaw  +   614d ago
I hope this shit flops hard.
PopRocks359  +   613d ago
Not buying it will help with that process. Vote with your wallet.
Kingdom Come  +   613d ago
Pun intended?
Kenshin_BATT0USAI  +   613d ago
Oh yes it's great characterization.../sarcasm. Let's be serious. The only reason that was there was so the game could be 'edgy'. Ironically enough, it comes off as this game just being that poser emo kid who wants to be identified with the metalheads.
#8 (Edited 613d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
ZeekQuattro  +   613d ago
This game is gonna flop harder than RE: 6 & RE: ORC. I've never see such hate for a DMC game. Not even DMC 2 was loathed as much as this game and it isn't even out yet.
#9 (Edited 613d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
yewles1  +   613d ago
"The DmC sex scene is actually good characterization"

.............ROFLMFAO!!! XD XD XD
Omnislash  +   613d ago
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! BUY SOMETHING ELSE!!

If you absolutely must play this game just get it used or borrow it. Do not give these guys your hard earned money.
led1090  +   613d ago
Whats wrong with you people? They just took a new direction. And that's fine. Even if it is completely different, still that's fine. Even if the bosses say things like "F&^K You", with metal music playing in the background, still that's okay. Hate on it as much as you want if its actually bad. But do not pass judgements on it as if it is the successor to Big rigs. Wait for it to release. See what people have to say. And then decide. And while you're at it, don't forget to grow up. I think most of you really need to
Lord_Sloth  +   613d ago
1. Metal isn't present in this game.
2. If this were a new Zelda game you'd be a hypocrite because you'd be blasting if left and right.

If this were a new IP it would be judged as a new IP but don't blame people for comparing a new entry in a franchise to the older entries of the franchise. You look like a tool when you do.
led1090  +   613d ago
So you're telling me that comparing three games which have been released, to a game which is just being previewed right now and to pass a full blown judgement like "Do not buy this game" is okay? And on top of that you're telling me that i'm a tool for pointing that out? Such a great personification of reason and pragmatism you are!
And FYI i've never played zelda, and i would be willing to give HL3 an honest unbiased try even if they made Gordon Freeman a eunuch, and the combine a race of unicorns, and i'm a hardcore fan of the half life series. But you possibly cannot understand. You can't help yourself from passing judgements on unreleased games. How could you possibly get by without judging people you know nothing about....:\
DragonKnight  +   613d ago
@led1090: what you don't understand is that DmC deserves this because Capcom are trying to sell it on the Devil May Cry name. It may be a new direction, but it's trying to use the established pedigree of Devil May Cry to be a cash cow and that is beyond the pale. The demo was released 2 months prior to the official release date, so you know that all the terrible mechanics, glitches, and other assorted problems are still going to be in the final product.

the characters suck, the protagonist is a douchebag who needs to be hit repeatedly in the face, and this tacked on sex scene is in very poor taste. DmC is the worst of the worst kind of bull a developer can pull.
VileAndVicious  +   613d ago
@Dragon

"Capcom are trying to sell it on the Devil May Cry name. It may be a new direction, but it's trying to use the established pedigree of Devil May Cry to be a cash cow and that is beyond the pale"

Well, yeah... How is this any different from what Marvel does with its characters? Or DC? There's nothing wrong with using an established franchise to take risks and breathe new life into them. This can also be seen in the newer 007 movies, where Daniel Craig's characterization of Bond is VERY different from the traditional Bond formula (And you probably know what I mean if you've ever seen the older movies).

I hardly see the issue with taking risks.
Sometimes reboots work and sometimes they don't work out.
DragonKnight  +   613d ago
@Vile: "How is this any different from what Marvel does with its characters? Or DC?"

Not at all different. But that's not the point. The point is that you can't take an established franchise, change it up, and then expect people to treat it as though it's new. It doesn't work that way. If you want something new, you make something new from scratch. If you make something new that has similar themes but you don't want it to be judged on what is already established, you make sure you tell everyone that it's a successor of sorts. You don't make a game like DmC, try to cash in on the name of the original series, bastardize it, and then act surprised that people are upset.

Take a look at Catwoman with Halley Berry. Sucked and was a reimagining. That should tell you something.

Take appropriate risk. Don't be surprised when your money grubbing comes back to bite you in the a$$.
Lord_Sloth  +   613d ago
I've played the demo to get a feel for the combat, I've watched the previews, I've seen the level play-through videos, I've heard the voice acting, I've seen the gfx, I've heard the music, I've seen the weapons, and I know the outline of the story and not 1 bit of it looks any good or feels any good.

It's a double standard to speak out against the negative opinions on this game yet ignore the positive opinions. I demand that you bash both sides or you say nothing to either side at all. Otherwise you're a hypocrite.

And I call BS on you enjoying a Half-Life game like that. Just Saiyan.
prototypeknuckles  +   613d ago
1-theres no metal music in this game its some weird sounding techno music
2-we all know the big reviw sites are gonna say good things capcom most likely paid them off(IGN).
3-its not the fact that they took a new direction its more of the fact that they completly downgraded the gameplay and are now blatantly trolling the original fanbase that loved DMC within the game, yea this game definatly deserves to sell.

4-i bet had this happened to mario, zelda, god of war, halo, assassians creed, or gears of war people would act the same way, yea lets downgrade the gameplay and trash talk the original fanbase.
VileAndVicious  +   613d ago
so...

"1-theres no metal music in this game its some weird sounding techno music"

There was no Metal in the first 2 DmC games.In fact the metal soundtrack was introduced in DmC3 and later in DmC4. So...Im not sure if you just started with number 4 and worked your way backwards but I thought I should just point that out.
LeBart  +   613d ago
Saying it's good or bad before playing the game : stupid.
#13 (Edited 613d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(10) | Report | Reply
zerocrossing  +   613d ago
I played the demo and it sucked, what more do you want? shall I buy the full game knowing I dislike everything Ive seen and heard for the slim chance I may be wrong?

What's stupid is defending a reboot of a franchise that the majority of the hardcore fans are absolutely repulsed by.
oriononer  +   613d ago
Hmmmm, I think it's safe to say at this point that people are not responding favorably to this game.
markte  +   613d ago
The sex scene was not put in the game for characterization, neither was the cursing or DINO being a douche. It was all put there so this game could appeal to the people who think this type of content is mature. People who are not even old enough to buy the game for themselves.
Dragonshardz  +   613d ago
This shit again? Seriously.
Donnywho  +   613d ago
When is someone going to write an article about the people who don't give a shit? I'd read that twice.
Hicken  +   613d ago
I'd have FAR fewer problems with the game if it wasn't Devil May Cry.

Hell, if all they did was change the names of the characters to something else entirely, I'd have less problems.

I don't think the game is bad. The demo, gameplay, graphics, it's all decent. But it doesn't have much in common- from a "feel" standpoint- with the rest of the franchise. And, to me, the "reboot" tag is just an excuse.

Still, the main problem is how Capcom and Ninja Theory treated the existing fanbase. I won't buy because of that, and that alone.
SovereignSnaKe  +   613d ago
-Piss on the anal conservative puritan nerd prudes! Most of them would be very lucky to even get laid by a demon, much less a human man, woman or both! -Only question that remains is, WHAT TIME is the UPS man coming on January 15th?? ^_^
#19 (Edited 613d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
gamern4g  +   613d ago
GTA and sex its works but in thisngame its really awfull.

EA Sports skates to perfection with NHL 15 demo

5m ago - EA Sports released the demo for NHL 15 yesterday, and as good as Madden 15 is, it would be crazy... | Xbox 360

Is Guillermo del Toro a good fit for Silent Hills?

20m ago - GameZone's Joe Donato: "Out of the three names attached to Silent Hills, Guillermo del Toro is, b... | PC

Here's why we need to leave the past console generation behind

20m ago - GameZone: "While logically, it makes sense to sell games on platforms that millions upon millions... | Xbox 360

Sky Force 2014 Review - Chet & Jon

21m ago - This iOS / Android remake of the decade-old mobile classic may not be perfect, but once you under... | iPhone

The Walking Dead Meets Spider-Man

Now - Come join us on Filmwatch this month as we give you a chance to win the Electro Collector's Edition of Amazing Spider-Man 2 or the Limited Edition... | Promoted post

Grab It's Top 5 Steam Early Access Indie Games

23m ago - "We might be focused on iOS here at Grab It – at least for the meantime – but the strength of ind... | PC