Submitted by doctorstrange 570d ago | opinion piece

The Biggest PlayStation Exclusives of This Generation

As Christmas approaches, the Daily Reaction duo of Seb and Dan interpret the latest lyric from the 12 Days of Christmas – six geese a-laying. Drunk on Christmas sherry, we take a look at Sony’s biggest golden eggs this gen.
-PSLS (Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 2, Killzone 3, LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, PS3, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune)

Foolsjoker  +   570d ago
What about inFamous?
doctorstrange  +   570d ago
Good game, but only sold a few million :(
dbjj12088  +   570d ago
Sad Cole

Related image(s)
GribbleGrunger  +   570d ago
What has sales got to do with it? I really can't understand the thinking when people mention how many sales a game has. It's either a good game or not, regardless of how many it sold. If I was the only person that bought Infamous, it would still be a good game. Forget sales and play the damn game
alexcosborn  +   570d ago
Mediocre game, and only sold a few million :/
doctorstrange  +   570d ago
@GribbleGrunger I agree in principle, but if it had sold more, inFamous 3 would be far more likely, as would infamous Vita.
Foolsjoker  +   570d ago
inFamous is far from over!
Ezz2013  +   570d ago
i didn't know that selling over 2million
is bad or make a great game a bad game
Panthers  +   570d ago
inFamous has been one of my favorite games this gen. very fun.
cpayne93  +   570d ago
@acharlez you're free to your opinion but the games are around 83 on metacritic, so it has gotten pretty positive reception.

Edit: infamous 1 has an 85 on metacritic and infamous 2 has an 83. Personally I thought they were a couple of the best superhero games I've played.
#1.1.8 (Edited 570d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(0) | Report
dafegamer  +   570d ago
a few million isnt even bad, the hell?
Riderz1337  +   570d ago
@doctorsrange, the game has sold over 4m units according to vgchartz and I'm pretty sure they have inFamous 2 undertracked considering Sony purchased Sucker Punch after the release of inFamous 2. This doesn't inlude DLC and also not counting the Festival of Blood DLC which was once the highest and fastest selling PSN title for a while only to be beaten by Journey.

@acharlez, inFamous is mediocre?
inFamous - 85
inFamous 2 - 83

Damn you have a messed up definition of "mediocre".
cyberninja  +   570d ago
Facepalm :-(
pixelsword  +   570d ago
Shouldn't the title say "The Most Sold PlayStation Exclusives of this Generation", then?
SilentNegotiator  +   570d ago
It SAYS "Biggest", people.

inFamous was great (one of my favorite original titles of the generation, personally), but you can't call it the "biggest" exclusive on Playstation of the generation.

I think the spirit of this question is "Who represents the Playstation best in this generation?"....and you need a mix of sales and greatness for that.

Uncharted or MGS or GT5 would be closer to fitting that bill.
#1.1.13 (Edited 570d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report
Irishguy95  +   570d ago
Infamous is alright, I liked 2 a decent amount although I preferred Empire city to new orleans...but still gameplay was better. I'd give em 7/10 and 7.5 for the 2nd.
MaxXAttaxX  +   569d ago
A few million = Good.
You dum dum.

And sales has nothing to do with it. The games were great and definitely some of the best PS3 games.
As a major PS franchise this generation it definitely deserved recognition.

FAIL.
#1.1.15 (Edited 569d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report
Derekvinyard13  +   570d ago
Keyword: BIGGEST Not best
akechi_mitsuhide  +   570d ago
In that case then yeah it makes sense. Journey just got a Grammy nomination. That redefines big, in the context of videogames.
princejb134  +   570d ago
infamous franchise is awesome
i love those games
sales are important to developers though because it determines is it worth doing a sequel for them. Remember developers are in this for a profit.

As for me i could care less about sales as long as the game is great and infamous was excellent
Y_5150  +   570d ago
It has gain popularity. You seen how well Festival of Blood did, you know that they will not put the series aside anytime soon. inFAMOUS is my favorite PS3 exclusive!
ABizzel1  +   570d ago
I think they had a pretty good list, although for me personally top 5 PS3 exclusives were.

1. Uncharted franchise
2. MGS4
3. God of War 3
4. LBP
5. Killzone series (specifically Killzone 2)

Honorable Mentions: Heavy Rain, inFamous, Resistance, Warhawk, Journey
#1.4 (Edited 570d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Ezz2013  +   570d ago
there is just too many of them ..isn't it ?!
#1.4.1 (Edited 570d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(3) | Report
ABizzel1  +   570d ago
I know, but my top 5 it for me. The rest are so very deserving, as well as a few others, but yeah that's my Top 5.
#1.4.2 (Edited 570d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(1) | Report
stage88  +   570d ago
Infamous 1 is one of the best games of this generation. Absolutely fantastic!
prototypeknuckles  +   570d ago
for me its gonna have to be infamous 2, 2 powerful endings great gameplay more open, great characters.
Obnoxious_Informer  +   570d ago
Infamous 2 was such a tight gameplay experience. The story was terrific too.
SoapShoes  +   570d ago
It is an awesome game that was a huge improvement over the first. It is pretty awesome with the Move as well. Play Festival of Blood sometime if you have no yet.
Kalowest  +   570d ago
What about Resistance and Ratchet & Clank.
knifefight  +   570d ago
Valkyria Chronicles reinvented a genre and really deserved to sell about 20 times what it did ;_;
cpayne93  +   570d ago
Yeah unfortunately this is about the biggest and not necessarilly the best. The best is Demon's Souls in my opinion.
Tontus  +   570d ago
God of War 3 is easily the most impressive sales wise (and the best PS3 exclusive this generation imo). It's a 10 hour game, launched during a PS3 shortage, had little advertising outside of the US, wasn't bundled for more than a week and has no multiplayer mode and yet has sold about 5.5 million copies to date thanks to amazing quality and word of mouth.

Uncharted is Sony's most bundled series of all time which is the only reason it appears to have sold as well as it has. Also Uncharted 3 had Sony's biggest ever advertisement budget, has been bundled for over a year constantly with 2 Xmas and 1 Black Friday bundles AND it has been selling at a budget price since a month after launch, after all that it still isn't that big.

Proof of how Uncharted sales are due to bundling and not to being beloved games, the biggest Uncharted fan group on Facebook has 525,000 fans compared to God of War which has 3,870,000 fans. It shows that one franchise is artificially made popular by Sony and the other is made popular by us the gamers.

More proof that God of War is a much more popular franchise just in case any deluded Uncharted fans think I'm making it up because I greatly dislike the Uncharted series: http://www.google.co.uk/tre...
#5 (Edited 570d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(14) | Report | Reply
SoapShoes  +   570d ago
That isn't proof, that's B.S. You're full of crap. The first time Uncharted 3 was even bundled with a system was the new super slims and it sold over 3 million on the first day unbundled! I'd say God of War is still more popular but not by much.
Ezz2013  +   570d ago
so you are basing your info on which game sold better by facebook and google ?!
i have every single uncharted game and every god of war game
but guess what i don't even have account on facebook

god of war get alot of bundles as well
pretty much every console exclusive on xbox/ps3 get bundles

why don't you just say God of War and uncharted games are amazing in it own genre ?!
you get to play both only on ps3

i really don't care which one sold better
i love both SSM and ND
#5.2 (Edited 570d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Rebo00  +   570d ago
You're also comparing a trilogy spanning 2 consoles (covering millions of more players) with a game that has been exclusive to PS3 and with far less players than the PS2.
Basically you're a fool :)
Yangus  +   570d ago
"Ending our look at the biggest exclusives for the PS3 is one of the best selling Sony titles this generation, a game that many waited years to play again in full HD – Gran Turismo 5"
Sells 9 million.

Sony and ps3 number one exklusive and number one system seller brand:Gran Turismo.
Ps4=Gran Turismo.
#6 (Edited 570d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
th3n00bg4m3r  +   570d ago
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is the biggest, but i think The Last Of Us will top it.
IRetrouk  +   570d ago
I really really love uncharted but i think gt5 is the biggest sony exclusive, its sold the most and thats not even including gtp, plus its such a massive game i still havnt finished it.
th3n00bg4m3r  +   570d ago
When i said the biggest i am talking about commercial success, many people bought a PlayStation 3 just to play Uncharted 2: Among Thieves game.
rainslacker  +   570d ago
Gran Turismo is probably Sony's best selling franchise ever. People may have picked up a PS3 to play uncharted, but I guarantee you more people waited for a Gran Turismo to be released before upgrading from the PS2, not unlike they did with the PS2 when GT3 came out. It's a franchise that transcends the casual and hardcore, and appeals to everyone on many levels. Each Uncharted game sells about 4-5 million copies...which is less than half of what a GT game pulls in. Both games are top shelf quality however, and both are deserving of mention for this topic.

If you want to talk about best commercial success that would actually go to Singstar, which sold over 20 million copies, and receives huge amounts of DLC downloads every year. Of course Singstar isn't a hardcore game, so most people overlook it. I imagine the same thing will happen when wonder-book hits those same kinds of numbers.
AznGaara  +   570d ago
Most of my favorite games this generation are Ps3 exclusives.

Journey
MGS4
Valkyria Chronicles
Uncharted (all of them)
LBP 1&2
Infamous 1&2... The list goes on.

Its stuff like this that'll make be buy a Ps4, day one, no doubt. I own all three consoles and while I spend most of my time on Xbox playing multiplayer games with my friends, nothing beats the great single player experiences that Sony brings.
Y_5150  +   570d ago
There are too many great ones, they havn't mentioned every single one Example: my favorite series is inFAMOUS! The series was always anticipated than the Uncharted series. I love the Uncharted series very much.
Hicken  +   570d ago
Journey, Uncharted, Killzone, Gran Turismo, God of War, inFAMOUS.

And there are so many more games I enjoy.
j-blaze  +   570d ago
for me most great exclusives came from third party like Heavy Rain, MGS4, Ar tonelico, Valkyria Chronicles..etc. the rest of so called big "Sony owned" exclusives "except for Ratchet & Clank, Demon's Souls and Siren" are overhyped and overrated imo
josephayal  +   570d ago
Haze, Folklore and socom 4
Williamson  +   570d ago
Id have to go with the uncharted series,infamous1&2,gow3,gr avity rush.Folklore is a great game too just picked the game up after all these years.
Master-H  +   570d ago
DEMON's SOULS !!!!!
#14 (Edited 570d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Sizzon  +   570d ago
In terms of sales: Gran Turismo 5

In terms of quality: Uncharted 2, MGS4 or God of War 3
#15 (Edited 569d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
ForgottenProphecy  +   569d ago
Metal Gear Solid 4 takes the cake, hands down. Demon's Souls, Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, and inFAMOUS 2 were also classics worth a mention.
Picnic  +   569d ago
I love Motorstorm Apocalypse. It doesn't always get a lot of praise from lovers of the first 2 games as they were more difficult and what would actually happen in real life (i.e. not as fun for most humans) and some people had a thing about seeing mud splashing up in the first game rather than the careful depiction of the destruction of a city. Apocalypse saved the series from being a hardcore simulator that didn't appeal to me in to being a fun series.
freezola75  +   569d ago
Gran Turismo 5 without a doubt!

But there have been some absolutely fantastic exclusives including Motorstorm, Heavy Rain, Heavenly Sword,(which is my favorite), GOW, R&C, Sly Cooper, Uncharted, Killzone, Infamous, Little Big Planet, Twisted Metal etc etc..

This is what makes Sony pretty unique. There are so many titles spanning different genres, that the user base is quite large regardless of sales due largely to the fact that they have many types of games and boast a large amount of exclusives.

Interestingly enough, I remember at one time during the Ps3's first couple of years how it was laughed at and mocked for not having any exclusives.

Now things seem to be different seeing that a lot of those exclusives continued right on to the Ps3 and has been met with moderate to great success.

It's not really ALL about which console has the most exclusives.. it's a big thing but not everything. I think whether or not these "Next Gen" consoles are gonna deliver the steady dose of fresh content (1st and 3rd party), and entertainment that us gamers want... be it on the go or whatever is the question.. peace.

Three purchases in the last 6 weeks I regret – 1) Don Bradman’s Cricket

16m ago - A writer from IM PLAYIN takes a look at some of the purchases that he regrets making in the past... | Xbox 360

MINECRAFT (Honest Game Trailers)

16m ago - In the Minecraft Honest Trailer, the Smosh Games gang, addresses the innovation of Notch’s creation. | Culture

Soul Guardians- Age of Midgard Brings Action RPG Gaming to Android

17m ago - Carl Williams writes, "Games with console style action are few and far between on the Android pla... | Android

This Week's Purchase: SEGA Master System (plus additional SEGA items)

23m ago - DC - "Anyone following DC may be vaguely aware of the evolution of my SEGA collection, and in the... | Retro

Study Game Design at DeVry

Mike Bithell's Volume Delayed Until 2015

25m ago - gamrReview's Daniel Carreras: "Speaking with Mike Bithell at Develop yesterday after his talk on... | PC