Try our new beta! Click here
Submitted by karizma916 1082d ago | opinion piece

What We Want To See In Microsoft's Next Xbox System

It's been hinted at for months, and some prototypes have even popped up on the Internet that suggest what they might be up to, but thus far, Microsoft hasn't said a word about their next Xbox game system. It's not like they really need to, as the Xbox 360 is still high enough in popularity that it could keep going for years to come. But, eventually, Microsoft will announce its next foray into the hardware market, and with that, create a level of innovation that the competition will no doubt scramble to match. (Dev, Microsoft, Next-Gen)

j-blaze  +   1082d ago
pretty sure it's going to be the most powerful console next gen, Sony learned their lesson this gen with loads of money they lost because of the ps3 and vita, they can't afford to make an expensive console with their current economic state, they will make a decent console more capable than the Wii U
#1 (Edited 1082d ago ) | Agree(17) | Disagree(19) | Report | Reply
Zuperman  +   1082d ago
I don't knowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

Maybe kONNECT2? :O
oh my gosh.
#1.1 (Edited 1082d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
Odette9   1081d ago | Spam
MikeMyers  +   1082d ago
1. Reliable hardware
2. Online access to multiplayer without a surcharge
3. New IP's that are not aimed for casual markets
4. A hard drive in every system
5. Less restrictions on DLC (apparently publishers are only allowed up to one DLC for free, it should be up to them)
6. Lower the fees for patches
7. Support MMO games and dedicated servers
8. Kinect 2 should be able to decipher precise movements and not suffer from lag
9. Bluray drive with fast read speeds
10. At least 2GB of RAM

That's my top 10
tubers  +   1082d ago
I like it! Nothing unrealistic :)
insomnium2  +   1081d ago
False! #2 is very unrealistic. You need to realize who we are talking about here.
mochachino  +   1081d ago
Totally agree, especially patches. MS should only charge the amount it costs them to administer the patch.

There's no justification for charging devs 10s of thousands of dollars to fix bugs. All it means is that gamers lose, and the industry suffers.

A patch shouldn't be exploited as an opportunity to profit.

Oh, and at least 8 gigs of ram, lack of RAM seems to always be a major hardware limitation later on in the gen. 8 gigs at retail is cheap, I'm sure bulk prices are minimal.
#2.2 (Edited 1081d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Veni Vidi Vici  +   1082d ago
MS needs to just get rid of Kinect. It's pulling all of their resources away from making quality games and putting them into making casual games. Rare used to make some nice games. Now they're relegated to making party games for Kinect. :( I know they'll never do it but I really think Kinect is nothing more than a gimmick for little kids and their parents.
ItsTrue  +   1082d ago
Kinect is bringing them lots of $$$ so I don't see them dropping it. Sure everyone on this website somehow hates it, but people outside here like it.
If it brings them money, of course they'll do it. They are a business after all.
Veni Vidi Vici  +   1081d ago
In the short term, Kinect brought them money. Once the novelty wore off, it ended up hurting them because MS spent most of their time and money developing for Kinect and neglected the hardcore base. Now the hardcore base is wondering where the hell the exclusives are. MS has a major problem on their hands in the exclusives department. They have Halo, GoW, Forza, and Fable. That's about it. That's not going to cut it next round.

I have yet to see one game with a gameplay feature for Kinect that is even close to "must have" that makes the gameplay better. PS Move wasn't anything special either but at least it made gameplay better in certain areas. For KZ3, the people that used the Move usually had an advantage and it showed. Can you say that about any gameplay feature for the Kinect?
ItsTrue  +   1081d ago
Kinect's primary function wasn't aimed at being used in conjunction with other games. You could say that it had it's own 'genre' of games. It's purpose was to bring in a wider range of customers because they are a business.

As for exclusives, I agree that it would be good to get more exclusives. However, I disagree with the fact that it is a major problem because sales figures do not show any sign of a visible problem. Also, I have yet to see one person on saying that there are a lack of exclusives.
#3.1.2 (Edited 1081d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
SuperSonic266  +   1082d ago
Veni Vidi Vici  +   1082d ago
This should have been at least 3 of their items on the list.
McLuvn  +   1082d ago
A new non fps IP would be nice.
Persistantthug  +   1081d ago

Gears 5, 6, 7, and 8, coming right up. :)
Cerberus29  +   1082d ago
An actual controller. I love my Xbox but if the next revolves around Kinect or some stupid ass motion controller, I'm gonna pass
Riderz1337  +   1082d ago
Free online.
ItsTrue  +   1082d ago
We can only hope. :)
grayfoxx881  +   1082d ago
I'd like to see more retail exclusives. Microsoft is doing a good job on the XBLA front with games like Mark of the Ninja, but I would like to see more AAA games from their studios. It's not like they can't afford to.
ghostrider32  +   1082d ago
1. Free online
2. Bluray
3. A built in hard drive
4. More exclusives other than Halo, Forza and Gears(Give us Killer Instinct 3 for crying out loud)
5. Focus on the core as well, not just the casual
AngelicIceDiamond  +   1082d ago
Increased friends list. And multiplayer needs to be free right out of the box for standard Xbox users who don't want the premium.

Of course I'll pay for the premium because I want everything MS is offering.
Yodagamer  +   1081d ago
I want a return to the experimental Microsoft the original Xbox had it seemed like the original Xbox had a better variety of games (although they weren't all good, at least they tried), while the 360 had better rated exclusives
#11 (Edited 1081d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
black911  +   1081d ago
Free online
mochachino  +   1081d ago
I don't see why people care so much about BC, they'll spend 90% of their time playing next-gen games not last-gen ones. Also, the trade in value for PS3/360 will be abysmal, keep your current system in your collection and connect it for the odd time you feel like playing a 10 year old game with outdated gameplay and graphics.

If backward compatibility upped resolutions and framerates then, yeah I'd understand this obsession for it but as of now people are just asking for their next-gen console to come with the last-gen console they already have.

I rather MS put the BC hardware/software cost towards more power, an included game or better quality components.
#13 (Edited 1081d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Gerchi-san  +   1081d ago
E X C L U S I V E S!

... and more varied ones, while we're at it.
(Kinectshit and bought exclusives do not count)

Seriously, that's all I need.
Gimmemorebubblez  +   1081d ago
Xbox fanboy: I wish the online was free, it had a blu-ray player had more great exclusives and doesn't have RRoD..............
Ps3 Fanboy: The Ps3 already has that.
Xbox Fanboy:o___0...... Xbox is beter!
#15 (Edited 1081d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
Septic  +   1081d ago
Yeah but 360 fans might not want a console that can't even send voice messages, do cross-game chat, not have the likes of Halo, Forza, Gears etc.

Yeah, free online gaming would be brilliant but only if the quality of Xbox Live's service carries over. More exclusives are great but I doubt Sony will have the likes of Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct and other IP's belonging to MS that fans are actually asking for.

Things aren't as vague as you make them to be.
#15.1 (Edited 1081d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply

Steins;Gate 0 ‘Kagari Shiina’ gameplay videos

8m ago - 5pb. has released a new set of Steins;Gate 0 gameplay videos featuring character Kagari Shiina. | PS3

Xenoblade Chronicles X Easter Eggs

8m ago - Hidden Gems is a video feature on GVN where they take a look at some of the coolest hidden gems o... | Wii U

US Movie Releases to Look Out For in November

Now - Remember, remember, the films of November! It’s the time of year when the nights draw in, the year winds down and studios line up their most presti... | Promoted post

In Praise of: Multiplayer Civility in From Software Games

8m ago - Maybe it's because From's games tend to attract an older, potentially more mature gamer, but it c... | PC

Revenge of the License: Blair Witch Vol. 3: The Elly Kedward Tale

8m ago - Michael Crisman writes, "Welcome back, my vengeance-seeking boys and ghouls. Halloween may be ove... | PC

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 PS4 demo now available in Japan, fifth trailer

8m ago - Bandai Namco has released a 759MB demo for Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 for PlayStati... | PC