Submitted by karizma916 676d ago | opinion piece

What We Want To See In Microsoft's Next Xbox System

It's been hinted at for months, and some prototypes have even popped up on the Internet that suggest what they might be up to, but thus far, Microsoft hasn't said a word about their next Xbox game system. It's not like they really need to, as the Xbox 360 is still high enough in popularity that it could keep going for years to come. But, eventually, Microsoft will announce its next foray into the hardware market, and with that, create a level of innovation that the competition will no doubt scramble to match. (Dev, Microsoft, Next-Gen)

j-blaze  +   677d ago
pretty sure it's going to be the most powerful console next gen, Sony learned their lesson this gen with loads of money they lost because of the ps3 and vita, they can't afford to make an expensive console with their current economic state, they will make a decent console more capable than the Wii U
#1 (Edited 676d ago ) | Agree(17) | Disagree(19) | Report | Reply
Zuperman  +   676d ago
I don't knowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

Maybe kONNECT2? :O
oh my gosh.
#1.1 (Edited 676d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
Odette9   676d ago | Spam
MikeMyers  +   676d ago
1. Reliable hardware
2. Online access to multiplayer without a surcharge
3. New IP's that are not aimed for casual markets
4. A hard drive in every system
5. Less restrictions on DLC (apparently publishers are only allowed up to one DLC for free, it should be up to them)
6. Lower the fees for patches
7. Support MMO games and dedicated servers
8. Kinect 2 should be able to decipher precise movements and not suffer from lag
9. Bluray drive with fast read speeds
10. At least 2GB of RAM

That's my top 10
tubers  +   676d ago
I like it! Nothing unrealistic :)
insomnium2  +   676d ago
False! #2 is very unrealistic. You need to realize who we are talking about here.
mochachino  +   676d ago
Totally agree, especially patches. MS should only charge the amount it costs them to administer the patch.

There's no justification for charging devs 10s of thousands of dollars to fix bugs. All it means is that gamers lose, and the industry suffers.

A patch shouldn't be exploited as an opportunity to profit.

Oh, and at least 8 gigs of ram, lack of RAM seems to always be a major hardware limitation later on in the gen. 8 gigs at retail is cheap, I'm sure bulk prices are minimal.
#2.2 (Edited 676d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Veni Vidi Vici  +   676d ago
MS needs to just get rid of Kinect. It's pulling all of their resources away from making quality games and putting them into making casual games. Rare used to make some nice games. Now they're relegated to making party games for Kinect. :( I know they'll never do it but I really think Kinect is nothing more than a gimmick for little kids and their parents.
ItsTrue  +   676d ago
Kinect is bringing them lots of $$$ so I don't see them dropping it. Sure everyone on this website somehow hates it, but people outside here like it.
If it brings them money, of course they'll do it. They are a business after all.
Veni Vidi Vici  +   676d ago
In the short term, Kinect brought them money. Once the novelty wore off, it ended up hurting them because MS spent most of their time and money developing for Kinect and neglected the hardcore base. Now the hardcore base is wondering where the hell the exclusives are. MS has a major problem on their hands in the exclusives department. They have Halo, GoW, Forza, and Fable. That's about it. That's not going to cut it next round.

I have yet to see one game with a gameplay feature for Kinect that is even close to "must have" that makes the gameplay better. PS Move wasn't anything special either but at least it made gameplay better in certain areas. For KZ3, the people that used the Move usually had an advantage and it showed. Can you say that about any gameplay feature for the Kinect?
ItsTrue  +   675d ago
Kinect's primary function wasn't aimed at being used in conjunction with other games. You could say that it had it's own 'genre' of games. It's purpose was to bring in a wider range of customers because they are a business.

As for exclusives, I agree that it would be good to get more exclusives. However, I disagree with the fact that it is a major problem because sales figures do not show any sign of a visible problem. Also, I have yet to see one person on xbox.com saying that there are a lack of exclusives.
#3.1.2 (Edited 675d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
SuperSonic266  +   676d ago
exclusives
Veni Vidi Vici  +   676d ago
This should have been at least 3 of their items on the list.
McLuvn  +   676d ago
A new non fps IP would be nice.
Persistantthug  +   676d ago
Done.

Gears 5, 6, 7, and 8, coming right up. :)
Cerberus29  +   676d ago
An actual controller. I love my Xbox but if the next revolves around Kinect or some stupid ass motion controller, I'm gonna pass
Riderz1337  +   676d ago
Free online.
ItsTrue  +   676d ago
We can only hope. :)
grayfoxx881  +   676d ago
I'd like to see more retail exclusives. Microsoft is doing a good job on the XBLA front with games like Mark of the Ninja, but I would like to see more AAA games from their studios. It's not like they can't afford to.
ghostrider32  +   676d ago
1. Free online
2. Bluray
3. A built in hard drive
4. More exclusives other than Halo, Forza and Gears(Give us Killer Instinct 3 for crying out loud)
5. Focus on the core as well, not just the casual
AngelicIceDiamond  +   676d ago
Increased friends list. And multiplayer needs to be free right out of the box for standard Xbox users who don't want the premium.

Of course I'll pay for the premium because I want everything MS is offering.
Yodagamer  +   676d ago
I want a return to the experimental Microsoft the original Xbox had it seemed like the original Xbox had a better variety of games (although they weren't all good, at least they tried), while the 360 had better rated exclusives
#11 (Edited 676d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
black911  +   676d ago
Free online
mochachino  +   676d ago
I don't see why people care so much about BC, they'll spend 90% of their time playing next-gen games not last-gen ones. Also, the trade in value for PS3/360 will be abysmal, keep your current system in your collection and connect it for the odd time you feel like playing a 10 year old game with outdated gameplay and graphics.

If backward compatibility upped resolutions and framerates then, yeah I'd understand this obsession for it but as of now people are just asking for their next-gen console to come with the last-gen console they already have.

I rather MS put the BC hardware/software cost towards more power, an included game or better quality components.
#13 (Edited 676d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Gerchi-san  +   676d ago
E X C L U S I V E S!

... and more varied ones, while we're at it.
(Kinectshit and bought exclusives do not count)

Seriously, that's all I need.
Gimmemorebubblez  +   676d ago
Xbox fanboy: I wish the online was free, it had a blu-ray player had more great exclusives and doesn't have RRoD..............
Ps3 Fanboy: The Ps3 already has that.
Xbox Fanboy:o___0...... Xbox is beter!
#15 (Edited 676d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
Septic  +   676d ago
Yeah but 360 fans might not want a console that can't even send voice messages, do cross-game chat, not have the likes of Halo, Forza, Gears etc.

Yeah, free online gaming would be brilliant but only if the quality of Xbox Live's service carries over. More exclusives are great but I doubt Sony will have the likes of Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct and other IP's belonging to MS that fans are actually asking for.

Things aren't as vague as you make them to be.
#15.1 (Edited 676d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply

Gundam Breaker 2 adds Sandrock, Shenlong, and Tallgeese Gundam

9m ago - "The EW Versions of Gundam Sandrock, Shenlong Gundam, and Tallgeese are playable in Gundam Breake... | PS3

The Legend of Korra - Launch Trailer

24m ago - Launch Trailer of The Legend of Korra. | PC

Rakuen: Interview with Laura Shigihara

25m ago - William Kirk at GameCloud Australia writes: "Plants vs. Zombies composer, Laura Shigihara rele... | Industry

Quantum Rush: Champions Game Is Out Now In Early Access On Steam

39m ago - The new Quantum Rush: Champions online game, which is currently being developed by GameArt Studio... | PC

iCreditCardNow.com

Now - Quickly locate just the right card for you. | Promoted post

The Evil Within Review | Structure Gaming

47m ago - The Evil Within has been given somewhat of an insane roller coaster ride since its initial announ... | PC