Submitted by Phegan 649d ago | opinion piece

What Sony and Microsoft Can Learn from the Wii U Launch

What can rival console makers learn from the launch of Nintendo's Wii U? Quite a bit, actually. (Culture, Industry, Microsoft, Nintendo, PS3, Sony, Wii U, Xbox 360)

Hatsune-Miku  +   650d ago | Well said
They can learn not to release a weak console.
ElectricKaibutsu  +   649d ago
Don't feed the trolls.
bayport  +   649d ago
*Facepalm*
akaakaaka  +   649d ago
Why is he a troll?
He as I and most gamers are mad that one of the big games corp. Do not use high end tech for their console anymore. And do not please the hardcore or third party gamed anymore..
Ninty have become chrip old tech tech milkers and not innovative anymore tech wise.

Yes their touch screen is old for games and console side screen has be done with the psp before, cool that ninty took it to a new level but old.

Edith..
Tell that to the ps3, it did have high end tech when it launch, not in every part or components was high end but it was up there, and don't play the smart guy you know what I meant when I say that you ninty fanboy last time I check I grow up with nintendo and I have the right to ask for more and better technology from nintendo, they sold well and this is what they made old.

Just like cod games they sale a lot but they only milk it and not use new technology, it's a shame to support them whoever does.
#1.3 (Edited 649d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(12) | Report | Reply
Ducky  +   649d ago
Consoles don't usually have high end tech.
They did popularize motion gaming last-gen, so the innovation is there.

It's also been quite a while since Nintendo had the most advanced hardware.
#1.3.1 (Edited 649d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(6) | Report
ElectricKaibutsu  +   649d ago
Why would that make you mad? You have two other console makers who will make the exact system you want, with tons of power and plenty of ram. If you only plan on buying one next gen system and don't care about Nintendo games, the Wii U is just one less console you need to consider.
akaakaaka  +   649d ago
Obviously I say I growth up playing nintendo games I like zelda, metroid, mario kart but using old tech when they have the money and time to developed a AAA games that is relative to new technology so I can care again about them, I will love to play a new zelda that is relative to current gen (if I want to play old tech I will go back and play okarina of time's)
Let indie devs to use old technology, multimillion corp. Like nintendo should focus on new technology.
#1.3.3 (Edited 649d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(1) | Report
scissor_runner  +   648d ago
The gpgpu and wireless displays with gyros are new technology ??? Even the blu ray is faster. No one is even using it correctly yet and it can already do last gen ports.
SilentNegotiator  +   649d ago
Bu bu but I know better than professional game developers! I googled "GPGPU"!!
They just don't even know how to use it yet! Even Nintendo is baffled by it, creating 720p games with just post-AA, and slow menus!
The idea of a GPGPU is ONLY 30 years old! No one GETS it yet!
Nvidia has ONLY been working with modern ones since the turn of the century!
COME ON, GUIS!

Aaaaaaanyway, it's not like they're likely to make hardware changes now, if the very solid rumors of 2013 releases are true.
#1.4 (Edited 649d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
gpturbo81  +   649d ago
you need to get out in the world a bit. get laid, smoke a bowl, enjoy life. you are waaay too into it. their just video games. maybe take a shit, your probably just constipated
#1.4.1 (Edited 649d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(7) | Report
SilentNegotiator  +   649d ago
I didn't know enjoying parody was such a shallow pursuit. Thank you for showing me, TEH ERRORS OF MAH WAIS
chukamachine  +   649d ago
Yep gpturbo81.

I took a shit, it's awesome dude.

Feel like a new man.

I was even told last night by a 360 player, that Microsoft are more a games company then SONY.

I told him to take a shit, smack his head. Take the green stuff off his eyes.

As for Nintendo, they think because they Won big with the WII, they will win with the WII-U. It's underpowered, nobody cares about a screen controller, and most people only buy Nintendo for Nintendo games. Wii was a fluke because soccer mums and gran parents bought them for children to get involved in easy games.

Won't happen again.

When Nintendo loses against PS4, will People that realize that winning one gen, does not mean winning the next.

Just like android shits all over apple.
GribbleGrunger  +   649d ago
It's a sad state of affairs when someone simply states, in a succinct way, the answer to a question. It might be a bitter pill but he's right. I sold my Wiiu the day after I got it... and that's not like me.

I found it awkward and unappealing. I'm the most disappointed person here because. I was completely convinced that Nintendo had put the casuals to bed and entered next gen... Boy was I wrong.

If you enjoy the Wiiu then that's sweet. This is down to personal preference and not an attack on anyone's 'values'. I cringed when Sony said that next gen started when they said it does and I'm now cringing because Nintendo just don't understand what next gen means
#1.5 (Edited 649d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
ElectricKaibutsu  +   649d ago
I guess trolling is in the eye of the beholder.
GribbleGrunger  +   649d ago
Well, he might be trolling and he might not. Perhaps, just like me, he's really disappointed.
Ben_Grimm  +   648d ago
The console JUST released how can you be disappointed so fast? It hasn't even had a chance to gain legs and run the distance.

I find it funny that a lot of people here tell folks to give Vita a year and to wait patiently for more games to be released. But when it comes to the WiiU people are selling them back after a couple weeks (or so they say) or very disappointed by the lack of games and ports.

When the 360/PS3 launched it too had its share of ports only and games that looked no where near as good as they do now.

Why the quick dismissal of a new system all of a sudden?
thaimasker  +   649d ago
Yes because then mabye they wouldn't have been so far the wii in sales.....
#1.6 (Edited 649d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
avengers1978  +   648d ago
Probably that proper marketing is a valuable asset.
ElectricKaibutsu  +   649d ago
This article is pretty spot on. I don't know about not releasing games already released on other systems though. Yeah, they don't sell great, but it sure is cheaper porting a game than making a new one. Some gamers have a backlog of games they're wading through and didn't get to all of this year's big releases. Being able to play one of those games on their new systems lets them: A, actually get use out of their new system through the inevitable launch drought and B, gives them a reason to experience those games even after all the hype is gone.

Good article imho.
Rageanitus  +   649d ago
honestly... sony and ms better watch what steambox has to offer
Less kid games.

Low Price.

Standard Hdd.

wiiVerse like networking.
#4 (Edited 649d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
BootHammer  +   649d ago
Great article. I agree the next Xbox and PlayStation need to be exhaustively tested and ready to play come launch day (no excessive patching).

They both must have exclusive titles will be KEY and of course the hardware itself will need a robust CPU and GPU (or GPGPU) paired with adequate Ram to future proof the machines. This will give the devs more tools and options at their disposal to be truly creative without limitations, which will give gamers the best games yet =)
BattleTorn  +   649d ago
Off the top of my head... What ms/sony could learn from Wii U...

Deal with bad load times (Nintendo got on it)

Having a large selection of retail games (including non-exclusive) available for purchase/download.

Either 1. Offer large HHD options. and/or 2. Enable External-HDD usage. (I personally like the former)

Have good monitoring of the social aspects. (Nintendo must have a ton of people checking people's posts - or it's computer, idk)

/// After reading, great points!! The Day-1 patch took 2.5hrs for me. And having my most preference launch titles be ports I've played is somewhat lame. ( They'd been better off getting more of *this* years 3rd party games, like Borderland2 and Far Cry 3, for Wii U - instead of already release titles like Mass Effect, and Batman.
#6 (Edited 649d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
scissor_runner  +   648d ago
Borderlands2 would have been great. I don't even like bops but it is fun on the wiiu. Finally get mouse controls on a console. I'm looking forward to aliens though, won101 and some bayanetta now.

I'm looking forward to the other systems though. The developers will come around. They like money. The ports will keep coming I'll get them on the wiiu. Don't really want the old hd systems.
strigoi814  +   649d ago
Take your time no need to rush...no point of being to greedy
delboy  +   649d ago
Nintendo tech is ok,it's a HD konsole,and has N reliability,and most important the hw is profitable for company.
I think it's better they spend those millions making exelent games rather then spending whole money on high end unreliable tech.
See ROD/YLOD
Sony/Ms can lern from that,and maybe offer more then 5 lunch games lol
If it's eny other way,Sony might face bankrupt.
metroidfusion2  +   649d ago
So many people assume things lol and a lot of peopke need to use google a lot more lol I will play the wii u tomorrow and see how it is but people really need to dp their research and stop thinking they know things especially if its not proven by facts yes nintendos first party LAUNCH TITLES ARE IN NATIVE 720P AND RUN. AT 60FPS NOW I WONDER HOW MANY PS3 AND 360 GAMES ARE IN THAT RESOLUTION WITHOUT BEING UPSCALED AND 3RD PARTY GAMES ARE IN NATIVE 720P AND 60FPDS AND NATIVE 1080P AND 60FPS WHICH THE 360 AND PS3 HAVE VERY LITTLE OR NO GAMES RUNNING IN TRUE NATIVE 1080P BUT ONLY 30FPS WHILE THE WII U HAS AS OF NOW SO FAR THAT I KNOW SINCE I DO MY RESEARCH EVERYDAY TWICE A DAY 10 NATIVVE 1080P AND 60FPS GAMES POSSIBLY MORE AND THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING AND ONCE DEVS GET USED TO THE WII U JIST LIKE EVERY OTHER SYSTEM THE GRAPHICS WILL OBVIOUSLY IMPROVE EVEN THOUGH THE WII U IS ALREADY AT THE CONSOLE LIMIT FOR RESOLUTIONS AND IM SURE THE WII I WILL HAVE REALLY GOOD LOOKING GAMES JUST LOOK AT TRINE 2 DIRECTORS CUT THE BRST LOOKING GAME ON THE SYSTEM AS OF NOW AND I THINK IT WILL BE ONE OF THE BEST LOOKING WII U GAMES PERIOD RESEARCH IS NOT HARD LOL
Nevers0ft  +   648d ago
˙pɐǝɹ oʇ uıɐd ɐ ʇsod ɹnoʎ sǝʞɐɯ ʇı ¿sdɐɔ ǝɥʇ ɥʇıʍ ןɐǝp ǝɥʇ s,ʇɐɥʍ

I own a Wii U and as far as I know there's not a single 1080 60FPS game available yet, so what are you talking about?
LOL_WUT  +   648d ago
@ metroidfusion2 Is your caps lock key broken or something?
Jazz4108  +   648d ago
I would say ms and sony do it your way and forget the wi u launch.
wiiulee  +   648d ago
they can learn how to create the right innovative system and that prettier pixels is not all that matters.....come up with new ways to interact with the games

Battlefield Hardline Dev shared some Hotwire Mode tips

8m ago - SegmentNext - "If you wanna master Hotwire mode then Lead Multiplayer Designer Thad Sasser has so... | PC

Press Release: More Details on Tonight’s WWE 2k15 Roster Reveal Special Airing on the WWE Network

8m ago - Apparent Wwe2k15 roster reveal tonight according to a press release by 2k. | Xbox 360

Destiny: Farm Materials Quickly

8m ago - Want to get those materials to upgrade your weapons/armor quickly? Check out this quick tip to lo... | Xbox 360

Destiny - A Gentleman's Guide to Co-Operative Etiquette

9m ago - Push Square: "The Push Square Corporation, an upstanding broadcaster based in London, England, ha... | Xbox 360

Celebrate the new TV season with Filmwatch

Now - With the 2014-2015 TV season right around the corner, come join us on Filmwatch as we celebrate and give all you TV lovers something to enjoy! | Promoted post

Warp Zoned’s Fall 2014 Preview Presents the Video Game Fantasy League

10m ago - Warp Zoned writes: "With its spreadsheets, massive drafting guides, and heavy emphasis on stat... | PC