Submitted by Gekko 590d ago | news

Wii U blitzes PS3 and 360 as the "greenest" console

After a few weeks of hands-on time with Wii U, it's now pretty much confirmed that there is no revelatory increase in overall processing power compared to the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, but there is one technological element where Nintendo's design is leaps and bounds ahead of its vintage 2005/2006 competitors: efficiency. In terms of performance per watt, Wii U is the clear winner, providing an equivalent graphical and gameplay experience using less than half the power consumed by the other consoles. (Tech, Wii U)

Alternative Sources
Hellsvacancy  +   590d ago
Thats because its not as powerful as a PS3 or 360
guitarded77  +   590d ago
No, it's because more Chinese workers die at Foxconn making Wii U's and their ashes are used in potting soil. (Too much? It was just a joke in bad taste... don't get all crazy).

Anyway, I'm horrible about running 3 screens, 3 consoles and a PC all at once. I know I am detrimental to the environment. It's not that I don't care, I'm just really into gaming.

@darkride66 - I know... they make everything (you can add Smasung, HP, Compaq to your list). I clearly said it was a joke. The article is about Nintendo being the greenest... not about Sony or MS being greenest. Okay, we good?
#1.1 (Edited 590d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(20) | Report | Reply
darkride66  +   590d ago
Foxconn also makes the PS3, Xbox360, Kindle, Apple products...etc...etc. It's the worlds largest maker of electronics components. Damn near everyone uses them.

Personally, I want my next console to run on fanboy rage. That's about as abundant a source of energy as you can get, and it's all free over the internet! Rage from Mass Effect 3 alone probably could have powered a large city for a couple of years.
dantesparda  +   590d ago | Funny
"
Personally, I want my next console to run on fanboy rage. That's about as abundant a source of energy as you can get, and it's all free over the internet!"

Lol!
CouldHaveYelledUiiW  +   590d ago
Darkride66 made my day with that joke.
"Funny" Bubble-up vote.
joab777  +   589d ago
Yep...and i could care less. Maybe ill buy another ps3 and then offset it with worthless carbon credits like the rich with 2 airplanes do so they can spout their moral superiority and sleep at night.
Young_ART  +   589d ago
dude wtf iz "fanboy rage"tht doent evn exst
OneAboveAll  +   590d ago
Uses a GPGPU capable of DirectX 11 and Shader Model 5.0?

<insert dumb image of Hellsvacance here>

Still weaker than PS3 and 360

Yea, seem's legit. /s
#1.2 (Edited 590d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
SilentNegotiator  +   589d ago
I can blitz any NFL player, too....7 years after the game.

It's just slightly more powerful and it's 7 years later. It freaking better be more green.
#1.3 (Edited 589d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Theyellowflash30  +   589d ago
You neither a Linebacker or Developer, you have no idea how powerful the Wii U is.
SilentNegotiator  +   589d ago
DICE, 4A, the Warriors Ochirio dev....they all DO know and have all said it.

Nice try at discrediting my comment, though. I know some people are still in denial and pretending like GPGPUs are magical new technology that no one knows how to use. But if the system were significantly more powerful, Nintendo's first-party games would run at 1080p, but don't.
badjournalism   590d ago | Bad language | show | Replies(3)
MartinB105  +   590d ago
It's had 6-7 years of technology advancement to take advantage of. I'd EXPECT it to be more green.
Wintersun616  +   590d ago
This. Pretty much every device is "greener" nowadays than a similar functioning device 10-20 years ago, even though they are a lot more powerful or efficient. Freezers, TVs, phones, cars, pretty much everything.
ninjahunter  +   589d ago
Hmmm, i thing they could pull off a little more, like an m14x laptop, under max load is 45 watt, and thats including a screen. And an i7 mixed with a 650m gt isnt a joke.
mistajeff  +   590d ago
On the other hand, it WAS made by kids. Gotta pick your battles, I s'pose.
abzdine  +   590d ago
Greenpiece says opposite every year. Nintendo is the worst next to Microsoft.
ronin4life  +   590d ago
Nintendo is a horrendous offender but their actual products are not. Of All that R&D quite a bit goes into making their products efficient I'm sure. Unlike Microsoft, which plops its inefficient machines on the market to reek havoc en masse.

I never take that greenpeace crap seriously, as they only cover a companies direct effect. I wonderhow much damage the all thosr 360 and their electric bill heavy machinery affects the environment... but that isn't taken into account at all.
Shnazzyone  +   590d ago
Yeah, nintendo is also worse to them because they refuse to provide any detailed info to greenpeace because they fear the details would indicate too much on their projects. Nintendo is only listed worst by greenpeace because they didn't give them the info they wanted to make their determination. WHich basically means they shouldn't even be on that list.
DwightOwen  +   589d ago
Screw Greenpeace. They care as much about the environment as PETA does for unwanted puppies.
#5.3 (Edited 589d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Erudito87  +   590d ago
wow i guess thats the silver lining of a weaker console
arabiensoldier  +   590d ago
I'm interested in seeing what Nintendo will do after the competitors NextGen consoles release? How will third party games work out then :/
AdmiralSnake  +   590d ago
These articles can be so stupid and point out the obvious. I mean the PS3/360 is 6-7 years old. I really wouldn't expect anything less from the wii-u
Nevers0ft  +   590d ago
B... But my Wii U is black.
neogeo  +   590d ago
It's not green I hooked up my WiiU to a diesel tractor and run it all day to play games.
1upgamer99  +   590d ago
I don't know have they taken into consideration how many 360's and some PS3 (not mine thank God) have had to be replaced do to Ring of Death and Burnt out Blu-Ray drives...that is a allot of plastic and parts just laying in junk yards. :( I do not use my PS3 as a Blu Ray player to avoid that happening to mine. Just making lite I am not serious..LOL
TheLyonKing  +   590d ago
I would hope so it is a new console, just like a model T is much less greener than a Yaris, I would be very concerned if a new console was less green than 7- 6 year old machine
josephayal  +   590d ago
WII U has not been maxed out.
he Wii U is super powerful, the Wii U powerful enough to compete with 720 and PS4
SugarSoSweet  +   589d ago
The wii u will not be powerful enough to compete with the 720 and ps4 u wish. If the wii u is struggling with ps3 and 360 ports what makes you think it'll be able to cope with ps4 and 720 ports??
millzy102  +   589d ago
its not strugling with ports the people that put the effort in can make it run smooth plus most games where ported in 6 months to a year, no time to get used to the system. wait till aliens come out then well see some of what it is capable of. ps3 isn't capable of Xbox360 ports very well is that a weak system?
#13.1.1 (Edited 589d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(3) | Report
2pacalypsenow  +   590d ago
who cares?
isyourhouseonfire  +   590d ago
Lol, greenest console? Does that even matter?

That's like driving a Prius because its 'green'. Do you really want to be caught dead in it just to help a few butterflies out?

No thanks.
Nevers0ft  +   590d ago
You're in luck, the PS4 will be powered by liquidised panda.
Hicken  +   590d ago
I prefer to DRINK my liquidized panda, thank you very much.

Seriously, though, I'm all for "green" stuff. But the guy has a point: I'd much rather be behind the wheel of something angry-looking. Now, if said angry-looking vehicle had Prius gas mileage, I'd be happy.
LOL_WUT  +   590d ago
Being more "greener" won't change peoples minds about getting one or not. ;)
millzy102  +   590d ago
yeah maybe tree huggers lol
ylwzx3  +   590d ago
Everyone needs to realize that the Wii U is doing NOW what it took the PS3/360 years to do out of the gate. I'm sure its plenty powerful to compete with the next batch of systems.
SugarSoSweet  +   589d ago
The ps3 and 360 never struggled to play ps2/xbox 1 ports do i'd say thats untrue
wiiulee  +   590d ago
wiiu passes ps3 and 360 in alot of ways...but to be able to do all that the wiiu does and still have less power consumptions is remarkable
millzy102  +   590d ago
at the moment it does more than what the original 360 does on less than 1/3 of the power.

360 300w

wii u 35-75w

so i can play cod upto 3 times longer and still have a cheaper energy bill, were in a recession so every penny counts.
bobshi  +   589d ago
But you wouldn't have been playing COD for the last 6 years as the Wii U didn't exist.

Judging by your figure of 35-75w for the Wii U, I will take a guess that 75w is when playing a game.

Just an FYI, the 360 Slim runs at 88w playing Gears.

Not much of a difference - also don't forget the Wii U Gamepad will be consuming power.
boybato  +   590d ago
who the F%&* gives a damn. You want to be green, plant a cactus and sit on it.
strigoi814  +   589d ago
Lolz now i can say let us recycle the wii u to make it more green..and use it as a fertilizer for the plants..
#22 (Edited 589d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
kupomogli  +   589d ago
It's been six years and it's only as powerful as the PS3 or 360, so it shouldn't be surprising that it's greener.

Look at plasma tvs now and plasmas back then. They're not too much more powerful, but they're far more energy efficient.
H4all  +   589d ago
lol.....
Adolph Fitler  +   589d ago
So, now the only thing Wii-U beats out 6 & 7 yr old tech in, is lower power consumption. This must be a joke article.
gamern4g  +   589d ago
Green aint same as fun.
Schawk  +   589d ago
i turned my ps3 into a paper shredder, you aint got nothin on that nintendo :) , playing the wiiU now o yea baby
#27 (Edited 589d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Kennytaur  +   589d ago
That can't be counting the power used recharging the Gamepad.... :-P What a fail that battery is.

Planet Explorers: SteamFirst Impressions

6m ago - SteamFirst: Every Saturday morning as a child, I would be glued to my TV in eager anticipation of... | PC

Warcraft the Movie Logo Revealed at SDCC

11m ago - Legendary Films revealed the logo for the new Warcraft movie at San Diego Comic Con 2014. | Culture

Let's Play - Trine 2

34m ago - Join Geoff, Jack, and Gavin as they play Trine 2. | PC

Let's Build in Minecraft - Monopoly Part 3

34m ago - Geoff and Gavin are back building in Minecraft for "Monopoly Part 3." | PC

Start Making Games for the PS4

First Hour: Oddworld: New ā€˜nā€™ Tasty

58m ago - Abe is BACK in this remake of the Playstation 1 classic! Colin checks out the First Hour of Oddwo... | PC