Submitted by Moonman 767d ago | news

Report: GameStop Wii U Game Pre-Orders At 1.2 million, Double The Wii

Joystiq writes: "GameStop patrons are more interested in Wii U than they initially were of the Wii, the retailer has revealed. Over 1.2 million individuals have pre-ordered Wii U games at GameStop, in addition to the 500,000 Wii U consoles claimed since opening up pre-orders back in September."

"That figure comes out to 2.4 games per console reserved, which GameStop has told Gamasutra is roughly twice the attach rate GameStop saw prior to the Wii launch. Top pre-orders include ZombiU, Assassin's Creed 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Scribblenauts Unlimited and New Super Mario Bros. U." (Assassin's Creed III, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, New Super Mario Bros. U, Wii U, ZombiU)

Moonman  +   767d ago
Good lord. And first AND third party getting love. :)
#1 (Edited 767d ago ) | Agree(23) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Godchild1020  +   767d ago
I'm one of them and in about 4 days I will be an owner of one.
guitarded77  +   766d ago
I'm one too, but my GameStop is not having a midnight launch, and rumor is that none are due to corporate's concerns over safety. They don't want 20 people waling out of the store at midnight with $500 worth of console/game/accessories. I don't know why they just don't have a cop do security... it's like $35 and hour for a cop to patrol and there talking about each store making $10,000 in one hour. I e-mailed GameStop and let them know it's crappy. I offered the kid at GameStop a $40 tip if he'd let me have it today... he said there's no way he could because of the stupid computer system.

#1.1.1 (Edited 766d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report
FlairSomewhere  +   766d ago
Then go in when they open?

Safety is going to be an issue either way, that's such a lame excuse.

I've seen people fight over Skylanders figurines in broad daylight in my time at Toys R Us.
#1.1.2 (Edited 766d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report
fatstarr  +   766d ago
The line for call of duty was crazy in my neighborhood.
it was longer than the gas lines (post new york after sandy)
and voting lines combined

they had 3 cop cars and the whole complex blocked off and there still was a bunch of violence.

and people just loose thier minds now adays when theres mobs of people waiting in line.
tehpees3  +   766d ago
It shouldn't be a surprise. This is a core gamer's console. It was obvious CoD and AC would sell because they are big games and Wii U has the novelty of them being on a "new" console. People are becoming bored of PS3 and 360 and it is time for new tech.
fatstarr  +   766d ago
Im so sad I wont beable to own one for quite sometime, I got a wii by luck when It first came out. But I shall try.
LX-General-Kaos  +   767d ago
This is very good news for Nintendo

Many more than anyone including myself had probably expected. At this rate things are looking great for the future of third party offerings and exclusives in the future for the Nintendo Wii U entertainment system. Hopefully keeping many developers on board. As a consumer and fan, I could not ask for greater news. Looking forward to more positive results.

Rated E For Everyone
#2 (Edited 767d ago ) | Agree(25) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
ufo8mycat   766d ago | Personal attack | show
Ilovetheps4  +   767d ago
On Sunday, the Wii U will be mine. I can't wait. I will be getting it along with ZombiU.
Zodiac  +   767d ago
Great news. Wii U will be a very successful console.
imXify  +   766d ago
Black Ops 2 on it for me so I can continu to shoot with my dear wiimote. Wanted the new Mario but no online coop...meeh
quantae06  +   766d ago
Yep! When I buy BO2 for the Wii U it will be the first COD game I get to play with the Wiimote. :D
Dno  +   766d ago
this means nuthin. ps3 was sold at at start also. people got shot for it. how will it keep up in 2 years? the wii had the worst game library of all time IMO definitly of the 3 consoles this gen.

Wii u needs to keep it up with the software.
ronin4life  +   766d ago
I think the strong showing so far says a lot. They will keep up.

As for the Wii, it lacked the multiplatform titles, but in exclusives it was very strong depending on who you ask. I personally thought it was great.
Ilovetheps4  +   766d ago
Do you remember how many PS3's were shipped to the U.S. for launch? A grand total of 500,000 units. Gamestop has sold preorders for 1.2 million Wii U consoles on their own.
LX-General-Kaos  +   766d ago
Voted for Helpful
Griffin4871  +   766d ago
You have won internet points, my friend.
Wolfbiker  +   766d ago
No Wii U has 1.2 million SOFTWARE preorders
nerdkiller  +   766d ago
you got served
PopRocks359  +   766d ago
You know that wolf whistle people do when they're impressed? Yeah, I just did that.
#7 (Edited 766d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
ninjabake  +   766d ago
Impressive. Almost surprising considering the lack of heavy advertising but great news for Nintendo nonetheless.
BattleAxe  +   766d ago
Welp, looks like the hardest of core Nintendo fans have their pre-orders in.
ALLWRONG  +   766d ago
That's a lot of core Nintendo fans, more than the 360 and PS3.
Gamer-Z  +   766d ago
I pre-ordered mine as soon as Gamestop started taking them and yes i love Nintendo so suck it x)
#9.2 (Edited 766d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
deafdani  +   766d ago
I don't see why you got so many disagrees, I guess everyone took it as a personal attack. I personally didn't take any offense with your post: I'm a big Nintendo fan, I preordered my Wii U, and what you stated is probably fact.

The PS4 and Xbox 720 are also going to sell out on preorders after they're announced, and, exactly like the Wii U, a big reason for them selling out will be the biggest Sony / Microsoft fans that want those consoles day one.

It's just logic.
AO1JMM  +   766d ago
Any Gamestop preorders being processed yet?
The_Tr0ll17  +   766d ago
1.2 million suckers!
live2play  +   766d ago
im 1 of those suckers

im a sucker for a great time playing vidya gaems
deafdani  +   766d ago
SUCKERS REPRESENT!!!

\o
SegaKnuckles86  +   766d ago
Haha, suck on this one Wii U haters, you very vocal .000002% of all gamers worldwide.
#12 (Edited 766d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
ALLWRONG  +   766d ago
I wonder what number I am
nerdkiller  +   766d ago
looks like ps4 and nextbox are going too come out with a tablet controller too. anything nintendo takes the risk on and pays off is copied by competitors.

ps i own a ps3 and will own a wii u
StrawHatGamer  +   766d ago
Do you guys think I can pick up a Wii U at a major retailer by just going at midnight without a Pre-order?
The_Infected  +   766d ago
I highly doubt it. The only way would be if someone didn't pick up a pre order and you was the first in line to get it. I'm in the same boat! I want one so bad:(
PopRocks359  +   766d ago
It never hurts to check. There's always that rare chance of finding an extra.
Steven21  +   766d ago
You can get on a waiting list at GameStop for When they come available. I have my deluxe preordered and I'm numbers 1&2 on the waiting list for my local GameStop. Hopefully I can make a pretty penny off those 2 even though I wouldn't mind having one in my bedroom along with living room
Ilovetheps4  +   766d ago
Keep an eye out for Kmart. I know it isn't the nicest store, but the Kmart by my house isn't taking preorders on the Wii U. It's on a first come first serve basis.
YoungPlex  +   766d ago
Can't wait till Sunday!
MegaLagann  +   766d ago
Great news. I honestly don't know why people are surprised though. We've been through this how many time now? Nintendo announces new hardware, people claim it'll fail and Nintendo is doomed, system literally prints money, rinse and repeat. You'd think by now people would expect this. And hell if it's completely sold out now, wait until Black Friday comes around and parents try to get one for their kids and they find out it's sold out. It'll be a frenzy just like the Wii. I honestly think Wii U could be a bigger hit than the Wii.

Another good sign is the top five most pre-ordered Wii U games are majority third party. The problem with third party support on a Nintendo system is that third parties don't want to compete with Mario and Pokemon, so they rather not even bother (see pretty much every Nintendo system after the SNES). But as you can see, it appears more people are interested in ZombiU and Scribblenauts than Mario and Nintendo Land. Maybe this is a sign of a good relationship between Nintendo and third parties? Wii U's future is looking bright.
Drainage  +   766d ago
The 3DS and Wii U are a few days away from taking over the gaming industry.
#18 (Edited 766d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
lfclee  +   766d ago
Wiiu is a breath of fresh air, we need the wiiu.
metroidfusion2  +   766d ago
@MegaLaganm Exactly lol but people in general are just stupid

Final Fantasy XIV: From Astral to Umbral Arrangement Album available now

8m ago - The latest Final Fantasy XIV album, "Final Fantasy XIV: From Astral to Umbral Arrangement Album"... | Culture

Warren Buffet Challenged To Build Million Dollar Empire In Virtual Space

9m ago - In a strange clash of realities developers Mindark PE recently issued a challenge to self-made bi... | PC

Midlife Gamer Community Awards 2014 – 5th Place

10m ago - Midlife Gamer says "If, like me, you grew up in the era of the N64 and PlayStation then you no do... | PC

$30 2-Year Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked Membership Card Deal Live

11m ago - Gamerdeals: "Grab a 2 Year My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked Membership Card iconfor $30 (Reg.... | Culture

Win a PS4!!

Now - Join us on Filmwatch to find out how you can win a free PS4 this holiday season! | Promoted post

DRM Gamecast: Episode 21 - Winter Drought

13m ago - This week the DRM Gamecast discussed the recent Sony hacks, Halo 5 Guardians Beta, Minecraft, and... | Xbox 360