Submitted by Moonman 619d ago | news

Report: GameStop Wii U Game Pre-Orders At 1.2 million, Double The Wii

Joystiq writes: "GameStop patrons are more interested in Wii U than they initially were of the Wii, the retailer has revealed. Over 1.2 million individuals have pre-ordered Wii U games at GameStop, in addition to the 500,000 Wii U consoles claimed since opening up pre-orders back in September."

"That figure comes out to 2.4 games per console reserved, which GameStop has told Gamasutra is roughly twice the attach rate GameStop saw prior to the Wii launch. Top pre-orders include ZombiU, Assassin's Creed 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Scribblenauts Unlimited and New Super Mario Bros. U." (Assassin's Creed III, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, New Super Mario Bros. U, Wii U, ZombiU)

Moonman  +   619d ago
Good lord. And first AND third party getting love. :)
#1 (Edited 619d ago ) | Agree(23) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Godchild1020  +   619d ago
I'm one of them and in about 4 days I will be an owner of one.
guitarded77  +   619d ago
I'm one too, but my GameStop is not having a midnight launch, and rumor is that none are due to corporate's concerns over safety. They don't want 20 people waling out of the store at midnight with $500 worth of console/game/accessories. I don't know why they just don't have a cop do security... it's like $35 and hour for a cop to patrol and there talking about each store making $10,000 in one hour. I e-mailed GameStop and let them know it's crappy. I offered the kid at GameStop a $40 tip if he'd let me have it today... he said there's no way he could because of the stupid computer system.

#1.1.1 (Edited 619d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report
FlairSomewhere  +   619d ago
Then go in when they open?

Safety is going to be an issue either way, that's such a lame excuse.

I've seen people fight over Skylanders figurines in broad daylight in my time at Toys R Us.
#1.1.2 (Edited 619d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report
fatstarr  +   618d ago
The line for call of duty was crazy in my neighborhood.
it was longer than the gas lines (post new york after sandy)
and voting lines combined

they had 3 cop cars and the whole complex blocked off and there still was a bunch of violence.

and people just loose thier minds now adays when theres mobs of people waiting in line.
tehpees3  +   619d ago
It shouldn't be a surprise. This is a core gamer's console. It was obvious CoD and AC would sell because they are big games and Wii U has the novelty of them being on a "new" console. People are becoming bored of PS3 and 360 and it is time for new tech.
fatstarr  +   618d ago
Im so sad I wont beable to own one for quite sometime, I got a wii by luck when It first came out. But I shall try.
LX-General-Kaos  +   619d ago
This is very good news for Nintendo

Many more than anyone including myself had probably expected. At this rate things are looking great for the future of third party offerings and exclusives in the future for the Nintendo Wii U entertainment system. Hopefully keeping many developers on board. As a consumer and fan, I could not ask for greater news. Looking forward to more positive results.

Rated E For Everyone
#2 (Edited 619d ago ) | Agree(25) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
ufo8mycat   619d ago | Personal attack | show
Ilovetheps4  +   619d ago
On Sunday, the Wii U will be mine. I can't wait. I will be getting it along with ZombiU.
Zodiac  +   619d ago
Great news. Wii U will be a very successful console.
imXify  +   619d ago
Black Ops 2 on it for me so I can continu to shoot with my dear wiimote. Wanted the new Mario but no online coop...meeh
quantae06  +   618d ago
Yep! When I buy BO2 for the Wii U it will be the first COD game I get to play with the Wiimote. :D
Dno  +   619d ago
this means nuthin. ps3 was sold at at start also. people got shot for it. how will it keep up in 2 years? the wii had the worst game library of all time IMO definitly of the 3 consoles this gen.

Wii u needs to keep it up with the software.
ronin4life  +   619d ago
I think the strong showing so far says a lot. They will keep up.

As for the Wii, it lacked the multiplatform titles, but in exclusives it was very strong depending on who you ask. I personally thought it was great.
Ilovetheps4  +   619d ago
Do you remember how many PS3's were shipped to the U.S. for launch? A grand total of 500,000 units. Gamestop has sold preorders for 1.2 million Wii U consoles on their own.
LX-General-Kaos  +   619d ago
Voted for Helpful
Griffin4871  +   619d ago
You have won internet points, my friend.
Wolfbiker  +   618d ago
No Wii U has 1.2 million SOFTWARE preorders
nerdkiller  +   619d ago
you got served
PopRocks359  +   619d ago
You know that wolf whistle people do when they're impressed? Yeah, I just did that.
#7 (Edited 619d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
ninjabake  +   619d ago
Impressive. Almost surprising considering the lack of heavy advertising but great news for Nintendo nonetheless.
BattleAxe  +   619d ago
Welp, looks like the hardest of core Nintendo fans have their pre-orders in.
ALLWRONG  +   619d ago
That's a lot of core Nintendo fans, more than the 360 and PS3.
Gamer-Z  +   619d ago
I pre-ordered mine as soon as Gamestop started taking them and yes i love Nintendo so suck it x)
#9.2 (Edited 619d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
deafdani  +   618d ago
I don't see why you got so many disagrees, I guess everyone took it as a personal attack. I personally didn't take any offense with your post: I'm a big Nintendo fan, I preordered my Wii U, and what you stated is probably fact.

The PS4 and Xbox 720 are also going to sell out on preorders after they're announced, and, exactly like the Wii U, a big reason for them selling out will be the biggest Sony / Microsoft fans that want those consoles day one.

It's just logic.
AO1JMM  +   619d ago
Any Gamestop preorders being processed yet?
The_Tr0ll17  +   619d ago
1.2 million suckers!
live2play  +   619d ago
im 1 of those suckers

im a sucker for a great time playing vidya gaems
deafdani  +   618d ago
SUCKERS REPRESENT!!!

\o
SegaKnuckles86  +   619d ago
Haha, suck on this one Wii U haters, you very vocal .000002% of all gamers worldwide.
#12 (Edited 619d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
ALLWRONG  +   619d ago
I wonder what number I am
nerdkiller  +   619d ago
looks like ps4 and nextbox are going too come out with a tablet controller too. anything nintendo takes the risk on and pays off is copied by competitors.

ps i own a ps3 and will own a wii u
StrawHatGamer  +   619d ago
Do you guys think I can pick up a Wii U at a major retailer by just going at midnight without a Pre-order?
The_Infected  +   619d ago
I highly doubt it. The only way would be if someone didn't pick up a pre order and you was the first in line to get it. I'm in the same boat! I want one so bad:(
PopRocks359  +   619d ago
It never hurts to check. There's always that rare chance of finding an extra.
Steven21  +   619d ago
You can get on a waiting list at GameStop for When they come available. I have my deluxe preordered and I'm numbers 1&2 on the waiting list for my local GameStop. Hopefully I can make a pretty penny off those 2 even though I wouldn't mind having one in my bedroom along with living room
Ilovetheps4  +   618d ago
Keep an eye out for Kmart. I know it isn't the nicest store, but the Kmart by my house isn't taking preorders on the Wii U. It's on a first come first serve basis.
YoungPlex  +   619d ago
Can't wait till Sunday!
MegaLagann  +   619d ago
Great news. I honestly don't know why people are surprised though. We've been through this how many time now? Nintendo announces new hardware, people claim it'll fail and Nintendo is doomed, system literally prints money, rinse and repeat. You'd think by now people would expect this. And hell if it's completely sold out now, wait until Black Friday comes around and parents try to get one for their kids and they find out it's sold out. It'll be a frenzy just like the Wii. I honestly think Wii U could be a bigger hit than the Wii.

Another good sign is the top five most pre-ordered Wii U games are majority third party. The problem with third party support on a Nintendo system is that third parties don't want to compete with Mario and Pokemon, so they rather not even bother (see pretty much every Nintendo system after the SNES). But as you can see, it appears more people are interested in ZombiU and Scribblenauts than Mario and Nintendo Land. Maybe this is a sign of a good relationship between Nintendo and third parties? Wii U's future is looking bright.
Drainage  +   619d ago
The 3DS and Wii U are a few days away from taking over the gaming industry.
#18 (Edited 619d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
lfclee  +   619d ago
Wiiu is a breath of fresh air, we need the wiiu.
metroidfusion2  +   618d ago
@MegaLaganm Exactly lol but people in general are just stupid

Tiny Tower Vegas Soft-Launched On The Canadian App Store

15m ago - Tiny Tower Vegas has been soft-launched on the Canadian App Store. | iPhone

Gods Will Be Watching Gets Hammered By Gamers For Lack Of Consequences

15m ago - One Angry Gamer "The recent release of the point-and-click adventure game Gods Will Be Watching h... | PC

Let’s Play Mass Effect (mShep) – Episode 7: Getting to Know You

19m ago - With minimal Citadel clean-up required, the next episode sees Commander Shepard in shenanigans th... | PS3

Casual Game Market vs AAA Market

19m ago - Major game franchises have struggled since the birth of casual, free-to-play games and there is c... | Culture

Sniper Elite III (PS4) Review

Now - Ken holds his breath and takes the shot with the latest Sniper Elite title. | Promoted post

N4G Radio 07/28/2014

30m ago - Tainted love. Another late night show full of LEGOs, darkspawn, and an abrupt ending. Hosts:... | PC