Submitted by Tolkoto 706d ago | opinion piece

The new Wii U tablet will give players an edge in Black Ops II multiplayer. (Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Wii U)

darkronin229  +   706d ago
Call of Duty has sold pretty well on Wii before, right? Wonder how big the multiplayer community will be with the Wii U.
MaxXAttaxX  +   706d ago
Here's why it's NOT an unfair advantage:

1. Everyone with the Wii U has the same option. And many of them will be new to COD.

2. Wii U players only play among themselves. There's no cross platform play.
In fact, those who use the Pro controller may be the ones with the slight advantage. Less distractions, better controller.

3. Looking away from the TV down to the controller will end up getting you killed. In a twitch saw-you-first-you-die shooter like COD, this is hardly a "benefit" as the article claims.

4. Article is lame.
#1.1 (Edited 706d ago ) | Agree(36) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
waltyftm  +   706d ago
Bang on.
PopRocks359  +   706d ago
1. Problem is depending on the situation, the Wiimote + Nunchuk combo can offer more precision. So can touch control if they go that route.

2. Refer to counterpoint 1.

3. Why would I attempt to switch classes while I'm still alive in a match? I thought it was common sense to do that after having been killed and waiting to respawn. At least on the Wii U version, you don't need to pause to do it.

4. Didn't bother to read it. Just wanted to reply to your comment lol.
cpayne93  +   706d ago
@PopRocks The reason you would look down at your controller might be to see the map, I think they said they might put it there, which would hinder, not help.

Also what do you mean by touch control offering percision? By either aiming or using it to replace buttons it won't increase precision.
PopRocks359  +   706d ago
@cpayne93

If there's a minimap (like there always is) on the TV, then I don't think it would be much of an issue. Blops 2 also supports off-TV play, if I'm not mistaken, so you can use the screen that way.

I've played Metroid Prime Hunters on the DS and that game I felt was very precise. I would gladly take touch control in any shooter over dual stick control, but that's a preference of mine, hence why I say touch control CAN offer more precise aiming, not that it WILL.
cpayne93  +   706d ago
I think the ds was different though, what helped make it accurate was the stick you were you using, do they have it on wii u? I don't think it would fit the cod play style tho. A lot of buttons would take longer to hit.
PopRocks359  +   706d ago
The Wii U Gamepad comes with a stylus.

I feel it could be done (and done well) if utilized properly. Not entirely sure how, but I would love to at least try aiming with the touch screen. Heck, I'll even take gyro controls like in Zelda OoT 3D and Resident Evil Revelations.
MaxXAttaxX  +   705d ago
Reaching...
Emilio_Estevez  +   706d ago
How can it be an unfair advantage when everyone on the WiiU has the same options? Yeah, it's not unfair, or an advantage.
#2 (Edited 706d ago ) | Agree(25) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Moonman  +   706d ago
I was thinking the same thing man. Does he think WiiU will play vs. Xbox?
#2.1 (Edited 706d ago ) | Agree(15) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
guitarded77  +   706d ago
Yeah, I think we're in that lull before the CoD reviews release, and people write ridiculous articles to fill the CoD void. It will all be over soon.
camel_toad  +   706d ago
"gaming journalism"
sdozzo  +   706d ago
Different Wii U controllers.
omarzy  +   706d ago
The gamepad is included with the Wii U.
SilentNegotiator  +   706d ago
But if you choose that controller because you find it more appealing or comfortable, you're choosing your own advantages.
-Mika-  +   706d ago
"But you can also look down at the tablet screen and see enemy and friendly player movements on the entire level map. This allows you to get much better situational awareness about where everybody is at any given moment."

No this is not an advantage. Call of duty is a fast paced shooter. Taking your eyes off the screen to look down at your tablet mini-map is suicide.

Second, since the wii-u tablet doesn't have analog buttons. It going to make the controllers for fps and other games complicated and weird. This is why I think buying a Wii-U is pointless because the tablet controller is a nuisance. If you're just going to use a pro controller all the time. You should just wait for the ps4/720.
#3 (Edited 706d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(20) | Report | Reply
DA_SHREDDER  +   706d ago
Mika, or Mike, whatever, the fact that nothing changes but the WiiU version will have a touch screen doesn't take anything away. You have no idea what you're talking about!
omarzy  +   706d ago
You must have terribly underdeveloped motor skills.
Nevers0ft  +   706d ago
I doubt many people will consult the map in they're in a hailstorm of bullets, in much the same way that you wouldn't do that in the "real" world...

... You find cover. Check your map. Then leave cover to spank n00bs*

*Probably me :(
#3.3 (Edited 706d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
millzy102  +   706d ago
gamepad has analog stick buttons this has been stated loads of times. maybe you had a faulty pad or just not tried it propely
#3.4 (Edited 706d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
animegamingnerd  +   706d ago
you are hands down the biggest troll on this site
SonyNGP  +   706d ago
"since the wii-u tablet doesn't have analog buttons."

If you're talking about the L3/R3 buttons, then you should get your facts straight.
stragomccloud  +   706d ago
Oh you. : P
Neonridr  +   705d ago
the analog sticks are clickable. Sure the top triggers are not analog, but how does that affect a FPS in any way? Sure racing games you can't control the amount of gas you want, but I don't remember a racing game when I wasn't either jamming down the accelerator or slamming on the brakes anyways. I don't lightly press the trigger so I can putter around a course..
seanpitt23  +   706d ago
Ps3 players play ps3 players Xbox players play Xbox players wiiU players play wiiU players o I cannot see any disadvantages.
waltyftm  +   706d ago
No pc play pc players ?
seanpitt23  +   706d ago
Lol got bored I think he's got the point tho haha
Willygunz  +   706d ago
In this article, Dean writes you cant and that it made playing with the gamepad harder. I played it at Nintendo's Preview Event in September and I was able to press the left analog stick down(L3)
ronin4life  +   706d ago
Last I heard the gamepad had the exact same layout as the pro controller. (Plus a big ass screen.)

So I was a little shocked to see someone say otherwise. Thanks for providing an additional observation to clear this up...
@.@;
#5.1 (Edited 706d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Soldierone  +   706d ago
In order to have an advantage, it has to be only available to you.

I think its a bit disadvantage at first since you need to get used to it, just like the Move controller. At first you will really suck at aiming, but eventually you will have better reaction times.

People say a mouse is an advantage over controller, but people like me that have been playing with a controller for years are capable of keeping up.
Yodagamer  +   706d ago
It's always funny how these console hate articles always contradict each other. One moment the wii u has no advantages by having a touch screen, then the next article says the wii u has an unfair advantage (an advantage that isn't exactly unfair at that).
lilbroRx  +   706d ago
Seriously, there is nothing but negativity about the Wii U from the gaming media. First they try their hardest to make out every flaw they can with the game pad, then immediately go into labeling benefits as unfair advantages.
GraveLord  +   706d ago
"Will Wii U players get an unfair advantage in Call of Duty: Black Ops II multiplayer?"

Unfair advantage compared to who? there is no cross platform gameplay lmfao.
Chupa-Chupa  +   706d ago
I checked out a preview a few weeks back for the game and while it does indeed show you enemies and friendlies on the tablet, it's not the easiest thing to do...let alone competitive. So, sure it's a nice feature, but only if you had someone else telling you while you played with a traditional pro controller.
lfclee  +   706d ago
Doesn't make alot of sense if it was cross platform yes but otherwise no.
deafdani  +   705d ago
Wait, I thought it was confirmed that the Gamepad had clickable analog sticks some time ago. I find it weird that the Pro Controller would have a function that the Gamepad lacks. Oh well, I guess the actions on the clickable sticks would be remapped somewhere else on the Gamepad, so I'll take that as just a matter of getting used to the feel of the new controller.

Is Black Ops 2 also playable with Wii Remote + Nunchuck combo? If so, then I think you would have some advantages and disadvantages, depending on the control method you use, so in the end it all sort of evens out. With the Gamepad's screen, you would be able to see the whole action of friends and enemies on the entire map, giving you a tactical advantage. But with Wii Remote and Nunchuck, you could (arguably) point and shoot in a much faster and natural way than with the Gamepad.

I honestly find it kind of exciting, giving the game a whole new spin, gameplay wise, making you consider which control option will be better suited to your specific play style. This strategic thinking can actually spice up the experience if done right, IMO.
#12 (Edited 705d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

Three game developers reminisce on the man that gave indies a spot with Nintendo

8m ago - NE: "As sort of a tribute to these developers, this nice man, and the games that they, together,... | Wii

NBA Live's executive producer on the future of the series: 'Guaranteed'

8m ago - The case for NBA Live, the series, is also the case against NBA Live 15, the game hitting stores... | Xbox 360

Video Games and Philosophy

8m ago - Matthew Beard explores the philosophy evident in modern games and writes "Not many people cite... | Culture

Euro Gaming Expo - The Interviews - Nerdgenious

9m ago - Michael Burhan Celebrates the Independents by interviewing some of the core talent in independent... | Dev

Get a Free Kindle Fire HD!

Now - Check out details here! | Promoted post

Pro Vs Anti GamerGate – Two Interviews

9m ago - Mangotron believes in peace and love between all. It does not promote aggression or hatred. It al... | Culture