Submitted by Pozzle 810d ago | opinion piece

The Top 5 First Person Shooters

From Halo: Combat Evolved to Doom, GoldenEye, and more, the 411 staff counts down their top 5 first-person shooter games of all time! (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Doom, Goldeneye 007, Halo: Combat Evolved, PC, PS3, Retro, Xbox 360)

claud3  +   810d ago
GOLDENEYE 007 all the way
Eyeco  +   810d ago
IMO Goldeneye is an overrated shooter and hasn't held up at all, to me all it was , was those old 2.5d shooters only less complex and in souped up 64 bit graphics, coupled with the most backwards, awkward control scheme ever, great for it's time ,

But its influence on the genre is questionable compared to the likes of Doom, System Shock, Half-Life 1-2 (why that isnt on the list is beyond me)or even Halo.
#1.1 (Edited 810d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Pozzle  +   810d ago
I'd say Goldeneye definitely had more impact on the FPS genre than the games you listed. Sure, it might be outdated nowadays, but Goldeneye was revolutionary at the time of its release. Not only did it prove FPSs can work on consoles (and that they didn't have to be half-assed ports from PC), but it also introduced many gamers to things that were rarely seen in video games at that time (zoom in snipers, AI enemies who patrolled and strategized, dual wielding weapons, varied multiplayer modes, a 'proper' 3D world, etc).

Doom might have brought FPS games into the mainstream, but Goldeneye proved that console FPS games can work.
#1.1.1 (Edited 810d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
claud3  +   809d ago
You living under a rock... go back and rethink that comment
LOLNerdRage   810d ago | Spam
Dark_Overlord  +   810d ago
I'd take Halo and Left4Dead off that list and replace them with Deus Ex and Half Life.

I have fond memories of UT, shame the series has never matched the awesomeness of the first one since :(
3GenGames  +   810d ago
If Battlefield 2 (Or even 1942!) can't nudge one of those 5 out (only 2 that it could IMO) it's definitely number 6. And where is counter strike? And like others said, Half-Life?

Hate to say it, but multiplayer aside to a point, COD4 was one of the most epic single player FPS's of any generation. Shame it didn't continue that way. It may be number 7-8ish.
#4 (Edited 810d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Blastoise  +   810d ago
Left 4 dead would not be in my top 5.
#5 (Edited 810d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
josephayal  +   810d ago
Good list but i think Kz is the best of all time
Yangus  +   810d ago
Kz is the best of all time..........(BS).Sorry yes,only blind ps fanboy.

Killzone 2-3 nice visuals,but everything else medicore.
Best series KZ1.
Killzone NOT blockbuster FPS.Once again.Only ps fanboy says this huge bullshit.

This list not correct.
Where's Half-Life and Return to Castle Wolfenstein?
#6.1 (Edited 810d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
MeatAbstract  +   810d ago
I recently dug out the N64 to sit my girlfriend down to play a Zelda game you didn't need to wave a stick at. After I threw her off the balcony in disappointment, I decided to try Goldeneye.

When it starts your inner child, the one that got it for Christmas when he was 12, almost cries with delight. Then you start playing and it's all shattered. It's not aged well. I loved playing old games but Goldeneye really, really doesn't play well compared to what we have now. It's simply a case of nostalgia.

Also, no Half Life in the list? Shame on you.
GTRrocker666  +   810d ago
I like resistance 2. Such a good sci fi story with daedalus.
#8 (Edited 810d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
Xristo  +   810d ago
These headlines should read "MY" not "THE" because I totally disagree with this list ... especially with no Half-Life in it.
#9 (Edited 810d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
LiquidSword93  +   810d ago
Mass effect 3. Even tho ppl hated it and it moved away from what made the franchise popular it's an excellent fps that I really enjoyed.
hilmart  +   810d ago
Quake is vastly superior to L4D when it comes to FPS.

Best Weapon in Dying Light

13m ago - The korek machete is possible one of the best weapon in the game it does over 500 damage and can... | PC

The Witcher Battle Arena Review - IGN

15m ago - It’s 25 minutes into a match of The Witcher Battle Arena when I realize it should have ended 15 m... | iPhone

Devil Survivor 2: Break Record’s Durarara!! Characters Are Free, But Other Maps Are Paid DLC

15m ago - Devil Survivor 2: Break Record has characters from the Durarara!! anime series as downloadable co... | 3DS

The Difference Between Hating Policy and Hating Games

20m ago - CheatCC says - "There are very few games I hate. Even being a game journalist that has played and... | Culture

Filmwatch Contest Details

Now - Ring in the new year with gift cards. Check out details on Filmwatch. | Promoted post

The Witcher 3 - First Play I Expansive

20m ago - Stirling Castle, cradled defensively by the steep cliffs of Castle Hill, still stands as proudly... | PC