Submitted by psvitamanfan 634d ago | opinion piece

Time for Street Fighter to fade away

Capcoms Street Fighter series has been around for a long time, and its age is starting to show more than ever. (Arcade, Capcom, Industry, PS Vita, PS3, Street Fighter, Xbox 360)

jc48573  +   634d ago
Even I'm a little worried. I understand why Ono would revive Darkstalkers, but where would Street Fighter go from here? New Street Fighter with an entirely new cast?
#1 (Edited 634d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
MaxXAttaxX  +   633d ago
HD sprites
Sprites are the best. Never liked the bulky 3D models of SF4. Although I did not mind the MvC3 models.

Whenever I play BlazBlue, P4A or KoFXIII, I can't help but imagine how cool SF would be like that.
#1.1 (Edited 633d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
psvitamanfan  +   634d ago
I think they need to completely change the format of fighters, but to what I dont know...
psvitamanfan  +   634d ago
Plus- new cast would be awesome, I love street fighter but it is getting samey. people complain with cod being the same, but street fighters been the same for 20 years
-Mika-  +   634d ago
A casual fighting game fan who has no idea what he talking about.
MASTER_RAIDEN  +   634d ago
LOL I can already see your disagrees piling up, even though youre absolutely right.
shame man. you just cant argue with some people.
NegativeCreep427  +   634d ago
...which entails that you have no idea what Street Fighter., as an IP...
or as a gaming element, is about.

So STFU! Street Fighter has progressed much further in it's nearly three decade existence than Call of Duty has in it's life.
#3.1.2 (Edited 634d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report
jetlian  +   633d ago
lol ryu has gained 5 moves in 25 years COD isnt even half that in age so of course you'd think SF has progressed.

Thats one of my issues with 2d fighters they dont have new moves.No ex and supers dont count. AHH its a color change with extra hits.

SF4 systems are easier than sfa or sf3. COD has gotten more complex with every game. I prefer fighting games to shooters but SF is one of the weakest in 2d. KOF13 is where its at
#3.1.3 (Edited 633d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report
profgerbik  +   633d ago
Oh god CoD more complex... You clearly never played the first CoD's because CoD has become nothing but a mindless FPS for freaking morons who can't aim for shit and just like to run around spraying like idiots non-stop.

Sprint shoot, sprint shoot, sprint shoot.. Damn the new CoD's are freaking complex indeed.

I mean look at professional CoD players videos and it is a complete joke anyone takes it so seriously or would even pay someone to make a profession out of such an easy FPS.

CoD is watered down trash now. Someone please throw some real FPS that take real skill and have a sense of real complexity at this kid..

CoD used to be a skillful game it really did. I used to host lan parties and play it endlessly.

Now I can't even touch the new CoD's because they are so god damn easy.

Ever since they had to put Auto Aim in all the new ones it made it that much more pathetic also.. on top of the already horrible new gameplay mechanics.

Consoles completely ruined everything that CoD was.. Seriously. Ever since it hit consoles it became total crap, one after the other, the crap just kept dipping in the water.
#3.1.4 (Edited 633d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(3) | Report
EeJLP-  +   633d ago
@prof

You need to forget about its garbage multiplayer and pick it up cheap for the campaign, spec ops, and zombies. They're plenty playable without all the crap the MP brings to the table.
MASTER_RAIDEN  +   634d ago
For 25 years, the game has had a character named RYU who throws a fireball with down, forward, punch.

That is the only thing youre basing your statement on.
Knushwood Butt  +   633d ago
I'm sick of seeing Ryu and Ken.
VTKC  +   634d ago
They tried a "new cast" before. The transition from Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo to Street Fighter 3 New Generation. Most people did not like it at all as the original 8 was not all there. the next 2 sequels-Double Impact, and Third strike. Again they added more new characters but it was the same response from the public. The reception was no where near as big as any of the street fighter "2s"

this generation has revived street fighter with the graphics and all the Technical stuff. but theres only so much you can do in fighting games. Its been going on for along time and they have changed alot of it, making it better. and more techical. Before it only use to be combos. Now there is super bars, revenge bars, focus cancels etc. and tagging but that crossover Tekken didnt seem to do very well.
I can think of that they could do now is adding a guard break bar like in Street fighter alpha 3. or i suppose they could have a burst gauge like in guilty gear, but not the instant death attacks though. I got a funny feeling some elite tourny players out there will probably find a broken glitch to in unescapable death.
or add a new way in combos like in Hokuto No ken where you can smash the opponent on the wall and bounce them back at you to continue combo.
But lol as if street fighter isnt technical enough already.
Tainted Gene  +   633d ago
THIS
aiBreeze  +   634d ago
Please could you document how street fighter has been the same for 20 years? There has been so many DIFFERENT versions. Not to mention so many crossovers involving the cast in Capcom vs games. Hell, they even done 3d versions of the game in the past too. Comparing street fighter to cod is pretty dumb. Also new cast? WTF? That's like remaking FF7 and changing half the cast because people are bored of seeing them.
OneAboveAll  +   634d ago
Not until I get to use tear Ryu's head off with Sub-Zero. Also, I wouldn't visit c-techworld.com

Chrome was saying that the site contained content from themepix.com which is known to distribute malware.
#4 (Edited 634d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
psvitamanfan  +   634d ago
Mortal Kombat mixed with Street Fighter? Its like mixing wine and water.

also i think its just a wordpress theme, plus i think chromes just over cautios firefox doesnt come up with a warning and ive been on there alot
OneAboveAll  +   633d ago
Sorry man. Everyone has been waiting for MK vs SF. It's the most requested crossover fighting game of all time.

And yea, that site does have malware. others here in the comments have said it too.
profgerbik  +   633d ago
I don't like Mortal Kombat anymore at all. That is one game I wish it stayed 2D..

The new ones have such a generic feel to them. If people are complaining about Street Fighter now.. I don't think that would help.

Although I would probably enjoy MK more on Capcom's engine. MK did not use Unreal Engine well at all..
#5.2 (Edited 633d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
rataranian  +   634d ago
Yeah wishful thinking on whoever thinks thats part. They're called retro games. And they have a very big following.
MASTER_RAIDEN  +   634d ago
The article is from a site that my comp detected maleware from. BYEEEE
#7 (Edited 634d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Broburger  +   634d ago
Shitty bloggers need to fade away.
aiBreeze  +   634d ago
That article was awful and I'd go as far as saying the writer sounds like he hasn't even played played any of the street fighter 4 games. Sub par gameplay? Complaining about the pace? Street fighter 4 single handedly revived the FGC and it's current version AE 2012 alongside umvc3, is the main game in EVERY fighting game tournament.

The rest of the article is just a rant at Capcom.. while I agree, nothing new here and no reason for street fighter to die. Also SF2 sold well because it was the first mainstream fighting game and in the UK at least, came bundled with snes consoles.
#9 (Edited 634d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
hadouken182   634d ago | Offensive
JoeSchmoh  +   634d ago
He did bring up some good points as to where will SF4 go from now. Look at those Street Fighter EX games that were probably more original than SF4 in terms of the characters. So if anything Capcom will learn from those games made over 10+ years ago. I still have my Street Fighter EX3 for PS2 and that game is still cool beside the graphics.

As for his other points I do see why he's pissed at seeing us paying for unlocked content thats not on the disc, but what we pay for that was 10 years ago free and all you had to do was unlock the characters, stages, boss rush mode. etc. and that got you to replay that game. Today, Everything is like a co-op online campaign that these companies just charge us for every little character clothing, stage, secret character because were too busy not paying attention to it because were more worried about showing off or chasing girls over xbox live or psn. Oh well...
#11 (Edited 634d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
godofboobees  +   633d ago
Fade away? Tell that to the millions of tournament players around the world and see if you don't get an uppercut like that chick from Cleveland
GammaSix  +   633d ago
Darkstalkers>SF
josephayal  +   633d ago
AND Still the best fighta game eva
profgerbik  +   633d ago
Really and there is no articles on how long Mario has been around and how many times it has been played out..

Mario has been played out more than Copcom's Street Fighter could have ever dreamed of.

I have not been a huge fan of Capcom lately but I think the main reason people dislike the newer version so much is simply because they changed the Engine and stopped using 2D for everything.

SF x Tekken is going to be bad ass, it looks bad ass and I am pretty sure when I play it, it will be bad ass. I never enjoyed the orginal Tekken design at all, I loved the game and it's fighting counterparts but I always disliked Tekkens design.

I personally enjoy the new take on Tekken characters in Street fighter x Tekken.

I am glad they moved on from every other 2D fighter out there, Street Fighter in my opinion was probably one of the worst 2D fighters at the time out of all that were around.

SNK rules the 2D fighting realm and always have, Capcom was smart to move on. Yea it was kinda of made by two SNK developers who moved to Capcom or something like that but it still was not their best fighting game by far.

SNK's KoF and Capcom's DarkStalkers was leaps and bounds ahead of Street Fighter even when it had a slight chance to compete with those titles. Neo-Geo even had better portable versions of KoF that were better than every 2D Street Fighter.

Street Fighter was just the least memorable out of them all, sure it goes back but still pale in comparison to other fighters out there.

If Street Fighter kept the 2D format, it would've have died a while ago. They would be repackaging it like DarkStalkers now and selling it on PSN and XBLA for close to nothing..

Hell I would love to see a new Darkstalkers with the new engine.
#15 (Edited 633d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Smashbro29  +   633d ago
Street Fighter isn't going nowhere. People always bash the new game, just like ST players ragged on 3S, ST and 3S players (not all of them) rag on SFIV then when SFV comes out everyone will be all "hey man wasn't IV so much better?" because after you play a game for so many years anything new seems watered down.

On that note, this guy doesn't know jack, the only thing you get charged for is costumes which are purely aesthetic.
vork77  +   633d ago
i bet capcom will stop making it say it because of the fans

Ashly Burch announces that she will be in Persona Q

29m ago - Voice actress and internet personality Ashly Burch has announced on her twitter that she will hav... | 3DS

‘Destiny’ zones, modes and maps discussed by Bungie

29m ago - Speaking exclusively with Examiner.com, Destiny Character, Cinematic, and Technical Art Lead Tom... | Xbox 360

Salute Perhaps The Most Mature Game of the Generation

30m ago - A detailed breakdown of Spec Ops: The Line's handling of the theme of Post-Traumatic Stress Disor... | PC

The Best Android RPGs You’ve Never Heard Of (2014 edition) : Hardcore Droid

37m ago - Hardcore Droid - Perhaps you’re like me, and you like your RPGs epic and long-standing. That’s go... | Android

Filmwatch June Contests

Now - Join us as we give away a ton of cash this month! | Promoted post

Diluvion "Journey of the Lionfish" Trailer Released

52m ago - Showcasing a unique mishmash art style, Diluvion appears to feature semi-realistic deep sea explo... | PC