Submitted by Aclay 1096d ago | news

Today’s Best Discovery: Sony Wants To Patent a PS3 Move Controller That Gets Hot Or Cold

Kotaku- OK. My mind is blown. Sony published a patent this week for a video game controller that heats up or cools down as you're playing a game. It sounds kind of dangerous. And it sounds kind of awesome. (PS3, Sony)

Alternative Sources
« 1 2 »
PS3ROCKS  +   1096d ago
I bet girls will like that. Lol
blumatt  +   1096d ago
Imagine them getting their "lips" stuck to it like on Dumb and Dumber. Lmao
Blackdeath_663  +   1095d ago
i like the bit where it says the controller would get cooler as you start to get sweaty hands. i sweat like fuck when playing competitively online or 2-player an automatically cooling controller is genius as far as i am concerned.
Army_of_Darkness  +   1095d ago
cool idea for weather conditions.
say your in a hot area like hell(controller heats up) or in a cold area like Alaska(controller gets cooler), or what if your near a secret treasure and your controller gets warmer as you get closer?! that would be pretty neat.
Peppino7  +   1095d ago
Controller explodes upon death in any game.
Razmossis  +   1095d ago
This won't happen, battery life/power simply won't allow it.

Plus, I'm sure as soon as the gimicky aspect of it wears off, people will be tired of getting sweaty hands and turn the feature off.
SilentNegotiator  +   1095d ago
Apparently no one is capable of seeing the big (or little) picture here.

Big picture: Sony wants to own the idea for temperature changing controllers (go back in time and tell people that controllers will shake in the future; they'll laugh at that, too).

Little picture: Sony is simply filing a patent of something put together by a tiny team of engineers, just as Nintendo, Microsoft, and hundreds of other companies do every day.
#1.2 (Edited 1095d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
fr0sty  +   1095d ago
Sounds like quite the battery killer.
jujubee88  +   1095d ago
hennessey86  +   1096d ago
So what will it do
Burn you if you do the game wrong :D or give you frost bite for invalidating a lap on gt5
#2 (Edited 1096d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
edgeofsins  +   1095d ago
I could see for games like sorcery if you cast an ice spell the controller feels colder or if it is warm then you cast fire.
AzaziL  +   1095d ago
I'm thinking if it ever gets used (which i honestly doubt for at least the next decade), it'll be like how rumble is used, it'll reflect the environment your in. Running through the desert, it gets warm, run through the artic, it gets cold, that sort of stuff.

Of course an even more useful way would be to detect your body temp, if your getting too hot on a hot day, the controller cools you down, visa versa on a winter day.
jerethdagryphon  +   1096d ago
actually this indicates 3 things

sony isnt done with move tech

sony sees the need for further player involvment

sony is still on there game in designing interesting things
TheUndertaker85  +   1096d ago
I agree. While the patent itself might not be the next big thing it does show Sony still wants a future for the Move.

I hope that when Sony decides to announce PS4 they announce Move support for it at launch with a better camera. The Move tech is pretty solid right now but I couldn't ever help feeling that it would benefit more from having a better camera with it. A 720p or even 1080p camera for my PS3/PS4 would be nice and might potentially help those Move games more.
SilentNegotiator  +   1095d ago
Actually, it only indicates one thing:

They're trying to own the idea on game controllers changing temperatures.

They could transfer that to ANY controller.
Hozi  +   1095d ago
are you kidding me? they release the move not too long ago and you expect them to be done with it so easily?

they have to make back their dollars ya know. Move aint cheap.
Relientk77  +   1096d ago
I am trying to think the types of games this technology would work for. It could work for point and click games, when looking for certain items. The controller would be cold if you are far off, and hot if you are close.
Anon1974  +   1096d ago
Who knows if this will ever even see the light of day. I'd be interested to see how they think they'd use something like this, but I doubt this will ever hit the market. I remember back before the PS3 launched, Sony patented a system which would "sign" copies of your software onto your console so only your console could play those games. I remember Microsoft patented tech that would allow them to censor audio feeds in real time, presumably for use with XBL. This are just a couple of examples.

Still, it's nice to see they're playing around with different ideas. I'll never fault a company for trying out new tech.
#4.1 (Edited 1096d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Soldierone  +   1095d ago
When Drake is stuck in the snow in Uncharted, the controller will be cold. When Kratos is stuck in hell, the controller will be hot.

If someone reaches out and touches your character, the controller can be warmer.

Also warm and cold temps can also entice emotions in you. Along with that it can help change the gaming environment as if the controller is uncomfortable hot or cold, it will make you think much differently, possibly force you to make poor decisions to make the controller go back to normal.
Relientk77  +   1095d ago
I was thinking of that, when Nathan Drake is in the snowy locations it would get cold, then in the deserts it would get hot
#4.2.1 (Edited 1095d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(2) | Report
HammadTheBeast  +   1095d ago
iamnsuperman  +   1096d ago
The heat feedback would be interesting when shooting a weapon but it is just a gimmick and I see (if this was implemented) it being used as a gimmick like most non essential things
Sheikh Yerbouti  +   1095d ago
Think of it like the dual shock. Imagine a fire hazard, or even ubiquitous gunfire. A gimmick, but a gimmick can evolve to be a feature.
Getowned  +   1096d ago
I wish Sony said "We want to support PS Move more" because I have two vary dusty sets of move. I play The Fight once in a while but its a dust collecter.

This would be a cool feature, a built in mini A/C for sweaty hands :P , sounds like a killer on battery life though. lol

Devs still haven't used move at it's full potential yet :/
Aghashie  +   1095d ago
@ Getowned

Tell me about it. I have four move controllers, two navigation controllers, charging station, two handgun grips, one sharp shooter grip and many move supported games.

All of it collecting dust within many other things i dont use anymore.

Killzone 3 is the only reason i still have the camera on top of my tv. I have finished the game many times, but can't get tired of playing it with the sharp shooter. For anything else, my move controllers are just fancy and expensive paperweights.
StrawHatPatriot  +   1096d ago
How about if your playing NBA 2K and if the pressure is on your rookie in my player mode, the controls will go red to represent your player's nervousness, and if he's cool, calm, and composed, the controller goes cold.
Blankman85  +   1096d ago
Plot officially lost.
NastyLeftHook0  +   1095d ago
Too bad its not your bubbles.
icewater85  +   1095d ago
How about it's used on games like Sorcery. It gets hot when you use fire magic and cold when you use ice magic. It could also work on future games that use any kind of magic. Or it can reflect your environment.
Soldierone  +   1095d ago
I think it would be awesome to have when watching movies also. All though I think it would be easier to make a controller hot and not so easy to make it cold.
ShadowKingx  +   1095d ago
its get hot then cold then cold then hot, what the next things its goes ding.
CanadianTurtle  +   1095d ago
I think Sony has lost it.

Why waste money on such a gimmick that can only go "so far." Its not even worth making a quick buck with this.
Belking  +   1095d ago
I agree with this. Stop with all the extra hardware.
edgeofsins  +   1095d ago
It is patenting. It isn't going to be mass produced because it has a patent for it.

This could be very good for some games in the future if implemented right.
specialguest  +   1095d ago
Sony is patenting the idea, that's all. There are tons of patents out there that companies don't necessarily use. I'm sure Sony has a lot we've never seen yet. It's to protect the idea just in case they or a competitor use it. In this age of patent wars, you can never presume a silly idea can't come back and bite you in the future if some else owns it.
mclean_514  +   1095d ago
I think it would be neat in FPS. The more you shoot in a period of time the hotter the controller would get, just like a real weapon. But who knows if it would ever get used.
MasterCornholio  +   1095d ago
Thermal feedback in a controller.

First time i heard of this but im not sure on how useful the tech will be for games. I guess when your playing a game like Uncharted 2 in the train section in the beginning the controller could get cold and when your exploring the jungle it could get warm. But it seems like a gimmick to me more than anything.
telekineticmantis  +   1095d ago
It's called
The Dual Burn Controller.
TCG_Returns  +   1095d ago
GraveLord  +   1095d ago
And people called the PS Move a di**o?
This new one practically is one. Let's hope they include rumble this time :D

EDIT: This would actually be an awesome feature for the Dualshock 4. Instead of it being used in games, it would be cool to be able to control it whenever we want like in the winter, we can turn on the heat, in the summer, the cold.
#17 (Edited 1095d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
Oh_Yeah  +   1095d ago
they're listening to someone with similar ideas as mine lol. next it'll be nature speakers, for example your in a ocean scene and the speakers squirt you with mists of water or a desert scene in which the fans within the speaker emit hot air, or a tornado scene where strong gusts of wind suck you back into your couch..etc.
#18 (Edited 1095d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
DanSolo  +   1095d ago
Instead of a gimmick that will be cool (pun intended) for about 15 minutes, hows this for a reallllllllllllllllllllllllly obvious and actually useful idea............

Seriously..... it's a no brainer Sony!
#19 (Edited 1095d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
madpuppy  +   1095d ago
I guess the best way to do that would be to use a peltier?
GTRrocker666  +   1095d ago
This sounds so cool
Braid  +   1095d ago
Imagine it's winter and snowing outside while you're sitting in your warm, warm room. Great time for gaming, right? But would you really want to touch something that gets "cold" in this situation? Contacting with something cold would be the last thing you'd want to do. Think about the absolute opposite situation, it's summer and you're sweating like an olympic runner in your room due to the unbearable hellish heat of the afternoon. Who'd want to keep holding a controller that actually makes you feel even worse when it gets hot? I know experimenting is good and all, but please use your resources on inventing something that has some reasonable, practicle function.
#22 (Edited 1095d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
awesomeperson  +   1095d ago
It would probably have an option to turn on and off, like rumble does most of the time. That's if it ever sees the light of day - there are so many patents filed that never, ever, see the light of day - but are there 'just in case' or to stop competition doing the same thing.
Bimkoblerutso  +   1095d ago
I'm with you, dude. It really just baffles me. I adjust the temperature in my house if my hands are hot or cold while gaming. Why the hell would anyone want a technology that artificially induces uncomfortable hand temperature?
awesomeperson  +   1095d ago
Not the disagreer, but even if it did get introduced (which I highly doubt), it would most likely not be to a level which makes you uncomfortable by any means. It would more than likely be enough so its noticeable but not extreme, even better if you could choose how much you wanted its affect (like a volume slider).

Ah well, I'm all for trying new things, the only problem if it was ever introduced would be increased price and whatnot.
nevin1  +   1095d ago
This cant used in a DualShock4?

also, imagine playing madden in cold weather settings
#23 (Edited 1095d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Kran  +   1095d ago
not too hot now. :)
josephayal  +   1095d ago
auto clean is important
LKHGFDSA  +   1095d ago
That's really cool, and I'm glad to see Sony thinking outside the box. I've spent ages trying to think of new ideas for the controller but I never thought of this.

Edit: Surprised at the lack of positive feedback, especially considering how you idiots went crazy for the Microsoft projector thing which didn't make any sense.
I think this feature would be great, imagine fatal frame and you feel a chill before a ghost comes out. or a game where it's outside and windy then you pick up a weapon and the controller gets slightly warmer.
Combined with force feedback/rumble I'd say this is practicably a natural progression. (Though I'm imagining it for a Dual Shock rather than the Move.)

I mean really, haven't any of you been playing a game, using a gun and didn't realize it was heating up?
I've had that happen heaps of times.
#26 (Edited 1095d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
SSJBen  +   1095d ago
I think many is getting the wrong idea here in the controller being extremely hot or cold. The modules on the controller will heat up, but it would be subtle (as in, warm). While when it is cold, it's a sense of coolness, not ice cold.

Read the entire patent details before making assumptions and stop over reacting.
pupa  +   1095d ago
I would love them to make one that really Dual Shock you when you are hit, only a few thousand volts will do. (wink)
Thepcz  +   1095d ago
if nintendo did this, people would be screaming 'gimmick'
ChickeyCantor  +   1095d ago
Exactly what I was thinking. Hypocritical to the max.
nkjfsdiu   1095d ago | Spam
« 1 2 »

Hyperdimension Neptunia­™ Re;Birth3: V Generation Heading To Steam On Oct 30th

6m ago - Compile Heart's latest Hyperdimension Neptunia remake is heading to Steam on October 30th right i... | PC

ZTGD | NBA 2K16 Review

6m ago - Ryan Wombold writes: The NBA 2K series has built a reputation as a juggernaut in the sports game... | PC

MoreConsole takes on Destiny: The Taken King

Now - MoreConsole's rag-tag band of guardians finally make it to the Oryx's ship...but can they make it out alive? | Promoted post

The Talos Principle: Deluxe Edition now available for the Playstation 4

19m ago - Bandai Namco Entertainment Europe today announced in conjunction with games developer Croteam and... | PS4

ZTGD | Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree’s Woe and the Blight Below Review

26m ago - Ken McKown writes: If you would have asked me six months ago if I would be considering putting a... | PS4

Why is Deus Ex: Mankind Divided set two years after Human Revolution?

26m ago - Examiner: "Now that games like Deus Ex have a few entries, characters, and a defined arc, the fu... | PC