Top
80°

Game industry sales down 24% in US during September - NPD

(GamesIndustry International) Madden NFL 13 and Mists of Pandaria can't revive flagging retail business

Another month, another terrible report about the performance of video games at retail. The NPD Group has just sent us the data for the September period (technically five weeks from August 26 through September 29), and to no one's surprise, the report showed total industry sales down 24 percent to $848.3 million. Hardware sales plummeted 39 percent to $210.9 million, while software sales (including physical PC titles) fell 14 percent to $547.3 million. Accessories also dipped 11 percent to $139.9 million.

Read Full Story >>
gamesindustry.biz
The story is too old to be commented.
Anon19741383d ago (Edited 1383d ago )

That's surprising. Given the 360's nearly 40% drop year over year, I expected the entire industry in the US to be down more in line with that figure given how the 360 dominates the US.

Edit below: The 360 is the only example at this point. No other hardware numbers are known yet, but we know the 360 dropped from 438k last year to 270k this year, it's worst Sept in the US since 06. If you've got another example of hardware data, by all means, provide a link. Not that it matters to my point. If the PS3 were down 80% this year in the US, it doesn't have the marketshare of the US so why would I take that as an indication of overall US sales trends? Clearly the 360 being dominant in the US it's a better indicator of the health of the US market than it's competition. And it's sales are the lowest we've seen in years, even though the 4gb 360 is routinely going on sale for $149 currently. At this rate surely MS will get the 360's successor out sooner rather than later.

greenpowerz1383d ago (Edited 1383d ago )

360 had 49% marketshare so clearly using the 360 is the poorest example of your point?

Edit

What don't you understand? 49% of current gen consoles. Wii and PS3 will have to share the other 51%

Are saying Wii or PS3 had the other 50% while one only got 1%? Maybe then your edited reply would be almost valid.

darthv721383d ago

private sales increase in this tough economy.

Masane1383d ago SpamShow
DK286K1382d ago SpamShow
Fatty1383d ago

Dang, I spent more than 300 bucks in new games (admittedly it was a Borderlands 2 Loot Chest and a Street Fighter Anniversary set) in September and it didn't help much. The fact that it dropped so much compared to September 2011, and I can't remember anything that released then concerns me... because either the industry is in trouble or my memory is prematurely deteriorating.

ElementX1383d ago

People still buy Street Fighter?

Fatty1382d ago

I bought it for the extras more than the games. I'm a sucker for collector's editions.

ChunkyLover531383d ago

Wii U will perk things up.

josephayal1383d ago

Console Gaming is Almost Dead to Me, Just like PC gaming

ItsTrue1383d ago

Probably because you've lost the spark to gaming. I suggest it's time to find a new hobby then.

YodaCracker1383d ago

Wow! The Xbox 360 held about 50% console market share for yet another month. Very happy to see the brand continues to trounce the competition as it approaches its seventh birthday.

Show all comments (22)
The story is too old to be commented.