Submitted by LewisDenby 834d ago | news

Pachter: Wii U price is right, but expect price cut soon

After foreboding thoughts about the Wii U, Michael Pachter does believe that the price is right and has a better launch lineup than he expected. But you might want to hold out for a price cut. (Michael Pachter, Wii U)

Phil32  +   834d ago
Nah, no thanks, Pachter. Don't care to listen to anything you have to say anymore. You had your chance (20+ times), and you blew it each and every one.
#1 (Edited 834d ago ) | Agree(28) | Disagree(18) | Report | Reply
CustardTrout  +   834d ago
Yeah, no. I expect the console to be out soon, not a price cut.
gaffyh  +   833d ago
They will cut the price as soon as the Xbox 720 or PS4 is released, whichever comes first. They did the same to 3DS when Vita released, so Pachter is right in a sense.
LOGICWINS  +   834d ago
Ummm..actually he makes plenty of sense here. $300 is a bargain for hardcore Nintendo fans who would have bought the Wii U at even $399. However, for everyone else, $250 is the sweet spot. The Wii U won't sustain a $300 price point for more than a few months.

With Halo 4, Far Cry 3, AC3, GTAV, Bioshock Infinite, and the Last of Us on the horizon, you really think that PS3/360 owners are amped to spend $299 to play NintendoLand on Day 1?

The price will drop by early Q1.
#1.2 (Edited 834d ago ) | Agree(18) | Disagree(13) | Report | Reply
ConstipatedGorilla  +   834d ago
People will buy it up because of the holiday season. It's a new piece of hardware with some unique features. I'm looking forward to Mario, Zombie U, and Pikmin 3. I preordered mine from Gamestop today!
LOGICWINS  +   834d ago
Keywords: the holiday season

Long term, the Wii U won't maintain a $300 price point. It would be foolish. When a large chunk of the games are ALREADY available on the PS3/360, the Wii U is already poised at a disadvantage...even more so when the PS3/360 get price cuts this year.
ConstipatedGorilla  +   834d ago
Long term, nothing maintains it's initial price point so I guess you're right in that respect. The price won't drop any sooner than next holiday season and I'll put money on it if you'd like.
Sono421  +   834d ago
I'm sorry for doing this but I feel like my other comment fits a reply almost perfect to this comment posted by FanboyLogic, also don't want to take the time to write a new reply saying almost the same thing, so i'm just apologizing before hand please don't report as spam.

"I'm seriously not understanding.. People are saying it's overpriced and should be $250 not $300. Is $50 really that big of a deal/difference? Also if you plan on buying a game for the Wii U, which I would hope you are lol ($60) you might as well upgrade to the $350 version (Comes with either Zombie U or NintendoLand, 32 Gigs of storage, charging stand for the GamePad, and Nintendo Network Premium) I would like for it to also come packaged with a pro controller too but eh i'm not complaining. I don't know what exactly would satisfy you people. Judging from your comments you want it to be cheaper and vastly more powerful. Do you see how that's contradicting? You want it to be more powerful (Which raises the price) then you want it to be cheaper... doesn't make sense. The system is easily powerful enough to handle all sorts of gaming mechanics. It's not so "underpowered" that it will take away from the experience. It will still be easily able to handle alot going on at once. The only place it somewhat "lacks" is the graphics department and its not like it will look ugly or anything, it can still handle better graphics than this current gen and I think this current gens games look amazing as is. (Uncharted, Gears, Killzone, etc...) and graphics are hardly the most important thing in the first place. Then they show very promising games this early. (In my opinion) Such as Zombie U, Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, New Super Mario Bros. U, Game & Wario, the Wonderfull 101, Lego City Undercover, and Epic mickey 2. Those are just some of the exclusives I can think of off the top of my head, not even mentioning all the multiplatform games. Then with all of that offered lets not forget the biggest selling point, the unique controller, the whole new way to play. I don't see how anyone could possibly knock this from a factual perspective. Maybe from an opinionated perspective (Maybe) but (sorry to say it) most of the reasoning i'm seeing for not getting it is poor to say the least and those saying such things clearly had no intention of buying it in the first place. If your not going to get it fine, but don't hide behind the bush trying to justify not getting it with these "facts" state your real reasoning for not getting it. Brand loyalty for the lose gaming for the win."
#1.2.4 (Edited 834d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(3) | Report
DeadlyFire  +   834d ago
Sure PS3/X360 will get cuts, but that doesn't mean Nintendo will bow to them both. They are launching a new gen and they have to remain at a stable point to make a profit. At least for up to 2 years when they can get a smaller CPU/GPU die put in the machine.

I bought all of my systems at prices $400 and up.
#1.3 (Edited 834d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Aceman18  +   834d ago
personally i planned on waiting 6 mths to a year before i buy one anyway.
even though i could easily afford this id rather wait to purchase one.
#1.4 (Edited 834d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Outside_ofthe_Box  +   834d ago
So pachter said the Wii U is priced right? Uh-oh that spells trouble for Nintendo seeing as the opposite of what he says usually comes to fruition especially when it comes to Nintendo.

Pachter says to expect price cut soon? I guess that means we won't being seeing a price cut for a while now... ****!
Shok  +   834d ago
So you say it needs to be priced at $250 to be successful - then it's minimum price is $300, and you say the price is right?

Flip-flop much? lol
secretcode  +   834d ago
Pachter is one of those dudes who will say whatever it takes to get attention/views/paychecks. No need to listen to him.
GribbleGrunger  +   834d ago
No, he says what he needs to to effect shares

By the way, I can't see where he says what the headline says he said! (what a dumb ass sentence)
#2.1.1 (Edited 834d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report
Dlacy13g  +   834d ago
Don't blame Pachter... Beefjack is the one that published this interview. Why not blame them for seeking out his thoughts and posting up his thoughts? Seems to me they are the ones doing "anything" for site hits/paycheck.
LightofDarkness  +   834d ago
He said the device needed to be launched at $300 if not less, and to hit $250 quickly to be successful. He's been saying that for months now. Not everything he says is baseless, and he's pretty on the mark here. Although I do doubt Nintendo will cut the price too soon, it depends on early sales figures.
Dlacy13g  +   834d ago
@Shok, I think his comments in this article make total sense. Price is right for launch..$300.. loyal Nintendo fans will buy it up at that price but it will need to drop to $250 come 2013 when both Sony and MS for sure will be dropping prices on machines that are competative to the WiiU. Not sure why that is a flip flop to you?

Pachter also was always predicting it would come out about $300.

from where I sit his pricing analysis seems pretty spot on. Now software wise, I think he did under estimate Nintendo and didn't give them enough credit.
WiiUalpha  +   834d ago
Comparable to Wii U? It has 2 gigs of Ram while they only offer 512. They cant do video chat out of the box or multi task like Wii U can. Saying they are comparable honestly sounds like wishful thinking from someone desperate to do damage control.
Dlacy13g  +   834d ago
@WiiUalpha... no damage control (lolz)... at launch and early on the WiiU, 360 & PS3 will all feel like similar offerings in terms of software. Yes the WiiU has more capability but if you look at the games line up...its very comparable to that of what is on the PS3 or 360. I am sure in a year it wont feel that way but at launch I think it will.

edit: also, while yes the WiiU has 2GB of RAM only 1GB is available for games to use.
#2.3.2 (Edited 834d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report
YoungPlex  +   834d ago
Dude, Patcher is the Devil! He is a straight opportunist that gets paid to do what you and I do, GUESS! I think that he's full of crap, and saying that it's going to get a price-cut soon is ridiculously dumb! The only reason the Wii U will get a price-cut is when next-gen launches and maybe not even then. It all depends on what these new consoles launch for.
#2.4 (Edited 834d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
DivineAssault  +   834d ago
Wii U is definately more powerful then current gen but by the time games start to outshine these 7+ year old consoles, REAL nx gen will be here.. Lets hope wii u can release something exclusive that ppl will wana get it for.. & a price drop will help them stay competing with current gen.. I hope development continues for it when the powerhouses come in
Summons75  +   834d ago
I'm sorry how long was it until the Wii went from 250 to 200? Oh that's right a long while
Dlacy13g  +   834d ago
How long did the 3DS take to price cut? Nintendo is much more price sensitive these days. If they even sniff that this is struggling out of the gates due to a possible high price they will cut it.
Summons75  +   834d ago
well 3DS was a horrid idea to begin with and it also didn't have any software support. Even now it has a handful good games but certainly not enough to convince a worth while purchase. The launch titles for the WiiU alone make the system worth while for the price which is more the a fair one too.
ronin4life  +   834d ago
They aren't "price sensitive" Their views on pricing and cuts is "A price cut illustrates that something went wrong."
Which is why the 3ds received a cut, and WiiU is not guaranteed one by extension or necessity.
fermcr  +   834d ago
I don't believe the WiiU will get a price cut soon, but I'm waiting... no rush to buy the WiiU. Why would i buy it now? With the exception of a exclusive or two, the best games are multiplatform, and i will get them on the PC/X360/PS3.
#4 (Edited 834d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
WiiUalpha  +   834d ago
Exclusive or 2? P-100, Bayonetta 2, Zombi U, NSMBWiiU ,Monster hunter right off the top of my head and I bet there are more than that.

Plus how do you know the multi platforms are better than games that havent been released? Seems someone else is deserate to do damage control.
#4.1 (Edited 834d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
AznGaara  +   834d ago
NSMBWiiU is essentially the same game that came out on the DS

P-100 and Pikmin 3 are the only exclusives at launch that are going to be 'amazing' giving P*'s and Miyamoto's track record.

Beyonetta 2 doesn't have a release date yet. ZombieU looks okay and Monster Hunter comes out on the 3DS so if you already have a 3DS why buy a new console for the same game?
fermcr  +   834d ago
- Bayonetta 2... Bayonetta was a ok game. I would be mildly interested in Bayonetta 2

- P-100... looks OK. Mildly interested.

- Zombi U... i'm i hyped for another FPS ? Not really.

- NSMBWiiU... oh boy, another Super Mario.

- Pikmin 3... not really. I play my strategy games on the PC.

- Monster hunter... Can't really be hyped since i haven't played any MH... but this is probably a exclusive i would buy if i purchased a WiiU.

Is all this worth buying a WiiU at launch ? NO.
#4.1.2 (Edited 834d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(4) | Report
mrbojingles  +   834d ago
I think the price is great and I've got $275 saved up already. Will pre-order today or tomorrow.

Can't wait really. I'd expect a price cut either after E3 2013 in June to stifle momentum of PS4/720 announcements or a price cut near Aug/Sept/Oct 2013 to counter against those new consoles.

I'd also bet on the next 3D Mario game for next Xmas
scissor_runner  +   834d ago
No price cut for like two years. You will see exclusive bundles first. The wiiu at $250 would mean ms and Sony would be pricing them selves out of the market.

It would be like consoles vs pc why would you pay more when you can get a pc or this awesome that nintendo just released and all your old stuff just works with it.

It's not cluttered with unwanted features ethier. I think ms and Sony should wait till next gen. The economy can't take a $600 console and unfun games.
tachy0n  +   834d ago
the economy is so bad that stuff like apple products and call of duty games are breaking sales records... /s
Straightupbeastly  +   834d ago
Pachter is like that one friend that never shuts up but you don't listen to anything he says
josephayal  +   834d ago
omg
for the first time ever.. I agree with Pachter
LOL_WUT  +   834d ago
Yes, $250 was a better price point. Oh well guess ill just have to buy one used at a lower price or get a good deal on a new one.
AngelicIceDiamond  +   834d ago
You have to realize, this is brand new tech to and from Nintendo. If they were to price cut it, it would be 250$ and the premium being 300$ But I don't see that happening though. Come on, Nintendo needs to make money out of this to.

Nintendo won't price cut so soon like they did the 3DS. They need this.
OmniSlashPT  +   834d ago
He's kinda right. Who was the main consumer of the Wii? The casual market, families. When mothers will be picking a console for christmas, they will be looking at a cheap PS3 with a bunch of bundles (Sony will probably announce PS3 Super Slim at 99 or 149 dollars) and an Xbox with Halo4 or the new version of Wii? because naming it WiiU makes it look like an upgraded Wii. They already have a Wii and they don't see a valid reason to get another one.

I think the WiiU name will hurt Nintendo, most people (not the gamers) see it as an upgraded Wii or an extra controller. And those people were the ones to buy the Wii.

Nintendo won't get the hardcore gamers right at launch again, and they might lose the casual market they gather with the Wii.

Besides, it's not the launch Nintendo should be worried about, it's the first year. What will happen to the WiiU when Sony and MS drop the next gen bomb at E3?
#11 (Edited 834d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Qrphe  +   834d ago
We can't say much and just wait for now. New consoles are always hot (even the Dreamcast put a huge dent on the PS1) but we must also consider that, unlike other gens, current gen consoles are still fighting strong.

Idk what to guess to be honest. Ideally for me, Wii U comes out successful without needing a price but but PS360 still gets support for a few years with a price cut.

7 Ways to Stop Hackers Ruining Your Christmas Gaming

18m ago - Dealspwn writes: Hackertards have once again screwed over gamers by hacking into PSN and Xbox Liv... | Culture

Despair: Americana Dawn's Kickstarter failed to reach its goal

58m ago - Japanator: "Oh my. I never expected that it would come to this, but I'm afraid that Americana Daw... | PC

10 Questionable Moments In Nintendo Games You Totally Ignored

59m ago - Just as Disney can surprise us, so too can Nintendo, such as the time when… well, just read on. | GameCube

PES 2015: 10 Improvements Konami Must Make

59m ago - WC: Pro Evolution Soccer has had an illustrious time in the gaming industry. There are scarcel... | PC

Far Cry 4 (XB1) Review

Now - Ken finds his inner tiger in Kyrat. | Promoted post

Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare – 6 Essential Tips To Rank Up Fast

1h ago - So you’ve given in to the hype and bought a copy, as everyone’s been telling you how amazing it i... | PC