Submitted by GameCola 719d ago | opinion piece

Games That Secretly Suck: Demon’s Souls

"Demon’s Souls is best played wearing a leather mask, some sort of chaps, and a safe word. Still, despite everything that has been said about the difficulty, it isn’t even the game’s main problem. It just feels so empty and mindless, and despite a fairly well-executed battle system and some noteworthy boss fights, the game just isn’t very fun. While “soul” is right there in the title, it just doesn’t feel like this game has one of its own.", writes Nikola Suprak. (Demon's Souls, PS3)

Philoctetes  +   720d ago
"This all seems to be a result of a dedicated effort to make the game difficult, and while I do appreciate a challenge, there is a marked difference between something being challenging because it requires sufficient skill and tests your abilities, and something being challenging because the restraints that you are forced to operate under are draconian and downright stupid."

Demon's Souls is actually one of the very first games that springs to mind for me when I think of Games That Reward Skill. Sorry you suck at it.
Dark_Overlord  +   720d ago
My thoughts exactly, seems like the guy is just bitching due to repeated deaths
humbleopinion  +   719d ago
Exactly! It's all about skill.

Wait, holding from going to the toliet because the game has not "pause" button counts as a skill, right? ;)
#1.2 (Edited 719d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
smashman98  +   719d ago
The game has a log out option to bring you to the menu no excuse
JoySticksFTW  +   719d ago
Honestly, DS just takes patience and cautiousness.

Traversing an area you don't know? Keep your shield up.

Out-numbered? Use funnel techniques like tight alleys or tunnels.

See a big, red dragon racing to dive bomb you? Turn around and run! And don't linger next to the pile of dead, burnt bodies.

Seriously, observation and common sense go a long way in this game.

Deaths only pile up when you become impatient, distracted, or over-confident.

When I first played, I couldn't pass Flamelurker, because I psyched myself out and got more frustrated and reckless with each death.

I put the game down for the night, and the next morning calmly passed it on the first try easily.

But some gamers just wild-out and rage quit without beating the first level.

Those gamers would have cried at some of those NES, SNES era games.

"Yeah! I just beat the final boss and the game on my last guy! And no continues left! Whew... Hey, wait a minute... Where's the congratulations scene? What's that say? Start over and fight my way through the entire game again to face the true boss?! Fuuu-!!!!"
nix  +   716d ago
i still don't know how i finished Demon's Souls. Wikipedia was my best friend at that time. lol.

recently i started Dark Souls and i can't even get past the first big boss on top of the tower. /:
#1.2.3 (Edited 716d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
Kin23g  +   719d ago
I bet the author decided to write this after his 20-something gameover, at the exact same location. lmfao
jerethdagryphon  +   720d ago
yea demons souls was a great game forced you to think of tatics
TheKindRoost  +   719d ago
0/10 trolling. Obviously written to garner hits. To the author, try to be a bit more subtle next time.
NikolaSuprak  +   719d ago
Demon's Souls was mindless and boring, and after you got the Tower Shield it was borderline easy once you knew the layout. For an actual fun challenging game, I'd recommend The Binding of Issac.
Man-E-Faces  +   719d ago
THE WHOLE PACKAGE: Demon's Souls
Demon's Souls is everything that a game should be at release beautiful art designs,memorable characters,memorable bosses, an unrivaled atmosphere that I have yet to experience in any other game this gen, the near flawless combat that embarrasses the media casual hype skyrim. Honestly I don't know how Todd Howard can be proud of himself knowing how atrocious the combat in skyrim is. let us also not forget the perfect soundtrack of Demon's Souls that captivates my ears still to this day. Demon's Souls blessed us with the "WHOLE PACKAGE" now how many games in the history of video games have accomplished this? not many especially not this gen. My passion for gaming was reinvigorated because of this 1 game and with the steady diarrhea that continues to flood the market this gen you pick Demon's Souls to rant about? You should feel ashamed of yourself for writing this nonsense.
InTheLab  +   719d ago
Tower Shield? You really are trolling, aren't you?

Once you know the layout of any game, it becomes less challenging...
murcielago4  +   719d ago
Demons Souls doesn't suck you are the one that sucks at it. DS is a great game and I enjoyed everything about it.
colonel179  +   719d ago
Even though Demon's Souls is a great game it does have flaws. I like the idea about adding some randomization on the levels. The first time you enter a dungeon it's fun and scary because you have to be aware of every corner and walk slowly to avoid traps and surprises; but by the 5th time you die it becomes more like a chore because it's the same thing every time. Maybe it was like that in older games. I remember I passed a lot of NES and SNES games like that where you just memorize that an enemy or a pit will be there and just jump. In today's games, I think there should be better design and the technology permits it. It would be more fun if when you died in DS, the enemies respawned in a different place. It would make the world more intriguing and fun (and hard).

The lack of pause though is really annoying. The difficulty of the game doesn't have anything to do with the ability to pause it, and is not like you are playing an arcade that you have to finish the game or start over. I am one person that likes to rest a bit from every game. After one or two hours of playing I always pause the game and do something else, if only to rest my eyes. They really should have added a pause button.
#5 (Edited 719d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
Opiumunkey  +   719d ago
Just quit the game to the titlescreen if you wanna pause and reload to go on. Its quick and you start at the exact same point you left.
SageHonor  +   719d ago
The guy brings up legitimate reasons and he's labeled a troll. Typical
SamuraiZero  +   719d ago
He complains about a lack of story because he is obviously too ADHD to observe anything around him. You find backstory and details about the world and the plot if you observe, talk to and listen to NPCs, and read about things you find. And he bitches about the difficulty as being way to hard, when it has been proven by a multitude of gamers that if you stick with it, be patient, and learn from your mistakes, you make good progress and get a lot better.

Yeah, legitimate. Wait, I don't think that means what you think it does.
SageHonor  +   719d ago
There are comments that disregard everything he has said in the article. While I disagree with some of his points ( such as the lack of story ) I also believe he brought up legitimate points

Legitimate = Justified

I know what I'm talking about.
Hicken  +   719d ago
"I also believe he brought up legitimate points"

Why don't you mention them?

SamuraiZero points out the illegitimate points; he doesn't just generalize. Why can't you?

The author's main point seems to be that the "difficulty" is cheap and doesn't reward skill, when it's been the case for virtually everyone who didn't ragequit that it DOES reward skill. This invalidates that claim rather handily, don't you think?

Edit: Stop stalking me. Which part of what he said is legitimate? What's that? There is none? Didn't think so.

You can't even make up your mind on whether I should be positive about things, or negative. Either way, my comments are no good for you, so why the hell you do even bother responding to them? I shouldn't get notifications saying somebody who can't stand anything I say has responded to a half dozen of my comments.

Go away. Or don't you have games you should be playing instead of stalking people on a new aggregate site? Isn't that what you tell me? That I can't possibly be playing all my "beloved" or "perfect" PS3 exclusives because I'm commenting on here "all day?" Yet you, yourself, seem utterly incapable of ignoring anything I have to say?

Why is that? Why can you tell somebody a thousand times to do something, yet can't even seem to follow your own advice?
#6.2 (Edited 719d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
BrutallyBlunt  +   719d ago
"Why don't you mention them?"

How about for once you don't be so bloody defensive and actually read the article. Instead you continue to get your back up because someone has something bad to say about a game or a platform you like so you get way too defensive and ready to attack instead of being mature about it.

His main criticism is about how it's not really skill, just needless constraints put in place that masks it as skill. Can't you just disagree instead of being all bent out of shape about it? His analogy of instead of cutting down a tree with an axe you are blinded and offered a butter knife is actually relevant. I own Demon's Souls and i enjoy it very much but i know what it is he is talking about. You have to get from point A to point B but unlike most games you have no pause button, no checkpoints and are not very strong in the beginning. This means you have to grind to get enough experience to make your character stronger while remembering all the spots to go and enemies to avoid. They used to call games Nintendo hard because they had no mercy to them as well. Get hit once and you die and have to start from the beginning. They did that back then because games didn't have the technology like today and storage space was also limited. Now you can have enemies with powerful A.I. and scale games to better difficulties.

Just remember one thing Hicken, everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how much it differs from yours. These attacks you have a habit of just shows your inability to listen and be mature about it. It also shows your lack of understanding because your bias always seems to get in the way. You suffer from tunnel-vision because you can never see things from the other perspective of anothers point of view.

"Oh, they are saying something bad about a PS3 exclusive, i better go after him". That's about all there is to it.
MeatAbstract  +   719d ago
SOMEONE HOLD MY RINGS!

Seriously though, I know people are entitled to their opinion an all but Demon's Souls is simply a great game.

Put into the context of a challenging game that pushes you and can make you scream in anger and then jump out your chair in joy and the elation of winning and the hours you put in because it's so addictive, Demon's Souls is a stellar game. Non of this cinematic crap, straight up gaming.
ab5olut10n  +   719d ago
HAHAHA HOLD MY RINGS my grandmother used to say that when she was pissed at my aunts and uncles. bubbles for you.
ShaunCameron  +   719d ago
Disagreed. This is coming from a guy who bought it TWICE only to throw it out because it was damn hard and wasn't making much progress.
#8 (Edited 719d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
SolidDuck  +   719d ago
Its a game u either get or u don't. I truly feel sorry for those of u that don't. Its on the the best most special games ever made. Demon and dark are my two favorite games ever made. But to each there own I guess.
Qrphe  +   719d ago
"Artificial difficulty is not rewarding guise xDDDDD lel"

Oh man these people.

>people complaining about the lack of story in Souls series

Sorry no one gave you 30min cutscenes or walls of text giving you what you wanted.
DivineAssault  +   719d ago
completely blasphemous!! demon/dark souls are the best games this gen for action/rpg players
Stretch  +   719d ago
Demon's Souls is great, but far from perfect.

I really like it, but mainly because I played Dark Souls first, so I knew the little tricks it would throw to me. The rolling ball down the stairs for one thing. Both games are a little too similar in the 'traps' they have and I think both games needed to introduce the 'challenge' it gives you more gracefully. As Bajo from Good Game said, "A few words on the ground is just not enough.

I actually did quite well with Demon's Souls, but that was after 100 hours of Dark Souls. For example, I knew that the burnt corpses on the bridge in front of me meant a dragon would attack, but I only knew that from the moment in Dark Souls where the EXACT same thing happens.
#12 (Edited 719d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Morpheuzpr  +   719d ago
And your point is? The fact that you learn from previous mistakes make you skilled in the game. People need to realize that knowledge is a skill. In this games (and pretty much every game) when you know how things work and why, you have a much better chance of success, or at the very least understand why you are failing.
Numptyarse  +   719d ago
Demons souls is one of the greatest games this gen! I loved it so much I got 3 platinums on it and now I'm playing dark souls on the 360 but I have it for ps3 as well and I'll play it on there once I've done the Xbox version I reckon. I just wish more games gave you that sense of actual accomplishment that these two have.
#13 (Edited 719d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Sketchy_Galore  +   719d ago
I've never understood the complaint that there is no pause button in Demon's/Dark souls. The enemies don't roam, if you need to pee or go do something else just leave your character standing in an empty spot. It's not like some wandering demon is going to find you and kill you, unless there is something hiding in the room that you hadn't noticed you'll be okay.
Stretch  +   719d ago
What if you're fighting a boss and the phone rings?
Kureno_Nakamura  +   719d ago
Please don't write anymore...
OMEGAZONE  +   719d ago
Author is one of THOSE people that suck at the game and bash it because they think the difficulty stems from the game, the problem is you author.
NeoTribe  +   718d ago
Demon sould and dark souls were ok if u want a serious challenge. I didn't like its overly dark, dreary, ugly atmosphere, sloppy graphics, pointless rpg elements. If they would make character classes that were actually different and unique from one another, we might have a decent game here. Loot was horrible as well. its a horrible RPG. But if its challenge u want, this is ur beast. I myself am alittle to busy to be getting killed in a dungeon after a 2 hour run just to realize I'm not gonna be able to retrieve my orbs. I can't be playin for hours just to not make any progress. To impatient and my time is alittle more valuable for that smack.
madjedi  +   718d ago
Actually it's souls not orbs. I guess too many gamers nowadays are used to getting their hands held by checkpoints and autosaves. There are only a few enemies later on that will 1 hit kill you if your careless in demon souls. dual katana black skeletons, mindflayers and giant depraved ones.

Slow down and stop rushing the game, isn't really hard when you stop and use caution, instead of foolishly charging ahead. Which probably the main reason it is too hard for people.

I always love, when people claim they are to impatient to play demons souls, i personally think they are either too stupid or too lazy to learn from their mistakes. And adjust their playstyle. I am impatient as hell, it didn't stop me.

Realise this game wasn't made for western audiences it was made for japanese gamers, we were just lucky enough to have it released outside of japan.

And furthermore it was clearly a budget title.

It's not a dungeon crawler, it has the loot it needs, better weapons and materials to make your weapons stronger.

Get a +5 steel shield, a good spear and mace and your good to go. If your hording souls for 2 hrs your doing it wrong, even a 4-1 partial clear is a good 5-10k souls+, just from the silver and gold skeletons.

I might have to make a new character in ds now.
#17.1 (Edited 718d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply

World of Tanks Blitz Strategy Guide

16m ago - AppGamer has a walkthrough guide intended to provide you with an easy-to-follow tutorial for the... | iPhone

Battle Fleet 2 Review | AppGamer

16m ago - It is fair to say that game studio Capital J Media knew precisely what it was doing when it put t... | iPhone

Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare Review – Weed Free - PSLS

40m ago - "If you’d have told me a year ago that Plants vs. Zombies, the mobile tower-defense title was goi... | Xbox 360

5 Steps to Surviving as a Total Beginner in Dark Souls II

1h ago - Mike from Twinfinite writes, "Dark Souls II has been out for a number of months now, and its most... | PC

The Walking Dead Meets Spider-Man

Now - Come join us on Filmwatch this month as we give you a chance to win the Electro Collector's Edition of Amazing Spider-Man 2 or the Limited Edition... | Promoted post

The Witcher Film in Development, Oscar-Nominated Animator Involved

1h ago - Although there's already been a film based on the book, there hasn't been a Witcher film since th... | Culture