Submitted by Gekko 693d ago | opinion piece

PS3 gamers are right to hate on Bethesda

Geoffrey Tim:

It might be cool to hate on it now, but The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim was a pretty damned exceptional game. That is, unless you played it on the PlayStation 3. While Bethesda-developed games do tend to have more bugs than you can shake a citronella-coated stick at, the PS3 version was notoriously bug-ridden, including a one that would slow the game down to longer you played. Nearly a year and a slew of patches later, the game might actually run properly on Playstations now – but the situation’s barely improved. (Bethesda Softworks, PS3, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)

TheMasterShake  +   693d ago
i don't hate bethesda they released two of my favorite games this gen, Fallout 3 & Fallout: New Vegas. personally im not dealing with the whole skyrim situation because 1. skyrim is trash, 2. elder scrolls in general is trash, & 3. i didn't buy that shitty game to begin with. i've always hated that F****n series since the beginning. nevertheless i understand why people are upset. all i can say is just stop buying their games if your that adamant that bethesda is screwing the PS3 users over. for me i'll continue to play my fallout & enjoy myself :)
darkride66  +   693d ago
I didn't have a single issue with Skyrim on my PS3, and by the time I ever heard some people were having problems they had it fixed. It sucks for those who were affected but these things happen. In my eyes, Skyrim was an absolute masterpiece and I don't care how much people want to bitch about it because for me it's in my top 3 games this gen and at the end of the day that's all that matters. Did you enjoy it.

As for Dawnguard, for sure I want it but I'd rather they take the time and iron out the bugs I read were plaguing the 360 version first. If it needs work, it needs work. Should they rush it out before it's ready just to appease PS3 fans? I'd rather they didn't.
decrypt  +   692d ago
Bethesda should just downgrade the graphics on the PS3 version of the game. Since the PS3 cant handle all the load.

Leave the xbox 360 where it is, increase graphics on the PC(oh wait we have the modding community doing a better job lol).
#1.1.1 (Edited 692d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(31) | Report
HammadTheBeast  +   692d ago
Sorry decrypt, couldn't hear you over the sounds of Uncharted and the other sounds of you switching disks again.
Skate-AK  +   693d ago
Obsidian Entertainment made Fallout New Vegas. Bethesda published it.
Kureno_Nakamura  +   693d ago
I'm not a fan
NYC_Gamer  +   693d ago | Well said
PS3 owners should demand better treatment from Bethesda
Godmars290  +   693d ago
PS3-only owners just shouldn't buy their games. Take the chance Bethesda will either do better with PS3 versions of their games or stop trying/offering them on the system.
Freakazoid2012  +   693d ago
I said that to someone just the other day and got all kinds of hate for it but it is completely true. Just stop supporting their bad programming and they will learn their lesson. If you keep buying it, you cant blame them for continuing to put out bad products.
Moby-Royale  +   692d ago
Of course Freakazoid isn't intelligent to realize this but, all you have to do is buy used.

Perhaps you aren't smart enough either.

Kind of sad..
JAMurida  +   692d ago
The only problem with that is only the let's say 1,000 people here at most will see that. Not the other hundreds of thousands that don't even know gaming sites exist that will blindly go out and buy it. So either way, we're fucked.

My solution, just get it on PC. Despite the 360 version getting all the good stuff, I read how the 360 version is going through hell just like the PS3 version. So might as well just get it on a platform that technically offers more in the long run (mods) and performs the best of the three.
SageHonor  +   692d ago
Agreed, after fallout 3 and what ive been hearing from my friends regarding new vegas and skyrim.. i'll never bother with their games
Godchild1020  +   693d ago
I'm not hating on Bethesda. I knew better to wait for the GOTY edition for Skyrim. I have always done that with Bethesda's games and always will.
#4 (Edited 693d ago ) | Agree(15) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
kneon  +   693d ago
That's what I do, usually by then they have sorted out most of the major issues.
KwietStorm  +   692d ago
That doesn't help the situation though. In fact, you're ignoring it completely as if it doesn't exist. While there's the chance that the game would have been fixed by then, it shouldn't be this way to begin with.
ApolloTheBoss  +   692d ago
Yeah I'll remember that next time.
josephps3  +   693d ago
Bought Fallout 3- damn bugs but its open world and fun to play so I'll deal with it and let it go.

Bought Fallout New Vegas - holy even more bugs and severe game breaking bugs. What the hell? Didn't they learn anything from Fallout? Why are they doing this again to their customers/fans who are supporting them? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...I don't like you Bethesda.

Skyrim. I know I shouldn't its Bethesda afterall but they must have learned from their mistake now. Its suppose to be a new game engine and the game looks so awesome. Okay I'm going to just give Bethesda one more chance and buy it.

WTF! Bugs galore again! Can a company really screw with their customers this much and get away with it. This is just getting ridiculous.

That's it I'm just not buying anything involved with Bethesda anymore. Enough is enough. Eg) Dishonored. Interested and was going to buy it but Bethesda name was mentioned so now I won't buy it. Don't care if Bethesda is only the publisher. They were the publisher for Fallout New Vegas as well.

Never am I buying anything where Bethesda is involved. If any game has that disgusting shameful fraudulant company name printed on the back anywhere for any reason its automatically no buy for me. That's what you get when you consistently screw with your customers.

Why would I hire back the same plumber who fracked up the renovation not once, not twice, but three times? No way, no how, not ever!
#5 (Edited 693d ago ) | Agree(29) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
sourav93  +   692d ago
Amen to that sister!

(just in case you're a dude, sorry for calling you "sister")
#5.1 (Edited 692d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
vortis  +   692d ago
WTF? Why did you assume it was a girl?

It's got a dude's name. Alternatively you could have just said "Amen to that, you thing."

It's a lot more hospitable and a much nicer thing to say than to assume it's a strudel or a pie.
josephps3  +   692d ago
That profile pic is my g/f. I like seeing her face whenever I come to this site.

Actually rate my g/f pic out of ten. There is another pic of her when click on my name. Its a bikini pic :) and yes she knows about them.
vallencer  +   692d ago
So does that mean you wont buy anything from ID software anymore? No Doom 4 for you? Just curious since Bethesda only publishes IDs' games.
nihonlight  +   693d ago
I love Beth's design and music but they can't code to save Thier lives
What really gets me is with skyjob, is that they KNEW the game was broken
released it anyway. HID ps3 copies from reviewers and still can't fix it 6 half assed patch attempts later.

NOW we know the crap job they did coding our version AND I believe they are going to say dawngaurd is coming to us but I think HOW?
OUR system can barely run the vanilla game because POOR OPTIMIZATION.
BETH will lie and stall saying " we care about quality" "working on it"
BUT THEY JUST DON'T WANT TO HURT DISHONORED SALES.
after dishonored they''ll say "sorry couldn't get dawngaurd to work"
Or release it broken.
Plank   693d ago | Spam
thebudgetgamer  +   693d ago
Tsss they should be call Bugthesda or sumptin tss.
ziggurcat  +   693d ago
i waited until they fixed the major framerate/memory leak issues, and i have to say that my experience with the game wasn't as horrible as i was expecting it to be.

during the entire time i played that game (and i did get the platinum trophy), i literally only crashed 3 times. compared to the 3-5 times every hour with fallout: new vegas/fallout 3, i'd say that's a vast improvement.

that being said, i will never buy another bethesda game for the PS3.
Skate-AK  +   693d ago
Well there probably won't be another Bethesda developed game for PS3. This gen is like over.
#9.1 (Edited 693d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
MysticStrummer  +   693d ago
I love the Elder Scrolls games and I'll buy the next one despite the bugs Skyrim had on every platform. Yes, the PS3 version had the most but every version had multiple problems at launch, which is why the Developer of the Year thing was a joke. To play the best version of an Elder Scrolls game you have to rely on users to make it that way through mods. I don't think it's "hating" to point that out.
#10 (Edited 693d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
Parappa  +   693d ago
I stopped buying games published and/or developed by Bugthesda a long time ago. Any time I see a game with their logo slapped on it I instantly avoid it.
Bathyj  +   693d ago
I dont understand this massive hate.

I know the game lagged a bit, but mine was fine after the patch, I put over 150 hours into the game.

The worse bugs were the ones that were on all platforms and stopped you from continuing in the game. Actual game breaking bugs. I had to go online to find a way around and discovered the same bug was on the XB and PC version.
Hicken  +   692d ago
You don't think that's a reason for hate, too? The fact that you had to go out o your way- after a patch?- to find a fix for this game?

And it's not like it's their first game on any of the systems. It's AT LEAST the third on consoles, yet Skyrim still shows the lack of polish you'd expect from a less-experienced developer.

There's really no excuse for Bethesda's lack of effort. That's the only way I can think of it, anyway. They just don't care. PC's covered and 360- which is easier to develop for- is passable, so screw the PS3.

Not the mentality I support.
Bathyj  +   692d ago
I think you didnt get my point, I might not have been clear.

Yes I think the game deserves hate, I meant it didnt specifically at the PS3 version, which is all we ever hear about.

If I didnt know better I would have thought the PS3 version was unplayable (not true) while the others were perfect (also not true).

The only major problem I had was present in all 3 platforms, and yes Bethesda should be putting way more effort into their playtesting.
#12.1.1 (Edited 692d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(3) | Report
BrutallyBlunt  +   691d ago
Gran Turismo 5 suffered from plenty of issues early on, i should know since i owned the game from day 1. It took months before the game was actually the game it should have been, which is ironic considering how long in development it was and delays.

Another example is SOCOM: Confrontation. It was an utter mess and plagued with issues, so to think these things are isolated to Bethesda or 3rd party publishers it's not.

What i find striking is how many people seem to have a different set of expectations and hold 3rd party publishers more accountable and even go as far as calling them lazy. It's well known the PS3 has been a struggle from the get go, even for in-house studios.
R_aVe_N  +   693d ago
Bethesda constantly releases extremely flawed games why people support them I have no idea. They have to have one of the worse Q/A teams in the world if they have one at all. If it wasn't for them owning the fallout IP I would not even look at their games at all. I really hope Dishonored goes well without all the damn bugs I will not even think of buying it until I see how broken it is. Lets just hope the funding was there for a real Q/A team.

@ziggurcat you shouldn't be having crashes at all. It is just unacceptable imo.
Qrphe  +   693d ago
I'm a PS3 owner but played Skyrim on PC so the reason in this article don't mostly apply to me. However, I had lost great interest in the TES shortly after releasing Oblivion. Skyrim didn't help either (on the contrary).
Nes_Daze  +   693d ago
I played Skyrim on PS3(one trophy away from platinum!), and it has barely any issues, but I DID buy it around the time the patches came out. Honestly, I won't stop buying their games because, well, they make awesome games. I just hope they take more care with developing for us PS3 users, or in the future, for PS4.
Dreamer09  +   692d ago
PS3 owners need to grow up and stop moaning. You always bitch about "HAVING EXCLUSIVES".... Why on earth are you so wrapped up about 1 game (Skyrim) when you can play "YOUR EXCLUSIVES".... Have a nice day :)
thebudgetgamer  +   692d ago
Who bitches about having exclusives.

Ahh, more exclusive games. Damn you Sony.
#16.1 (Edited 692d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
AusRogo  +   692d ago
No. They treat us like shit. And no one bitches about exclusives . Jealous we have core exclusives ;)
EdoubleD  +   692d ago
As much as I love Skyrim, (My first Bethesda game) I had some ups and downs. For the first several months a lot of gamebreaking bugs occurred almost every time I've played. So I just left it until the patch came, and yet there are still some issues. At least I got this for £20 and not full price.
BX81  +   692d ago
Hmm
I think the PS3 only owners got screwed. I had skyrim on the 360 and it had some problems so I can only imagine the PS3 version. I just got Oblivion for the 360 today and It's my first time playing it so I'm hoping for a smooth game.
Muigi   692d ago | Offensive
TheSaint  +   692d ago
As much as I am pissed at Beth, they have made some of the most expansive and entertaining games of this gen.

It's going to be difficult to not buy their games.
Genmu  +   692d ago
bugthesda lol.....imagine the elders scrolls online how many bugs this mmo gonna have

never buy a bugthesda product at start wait a year or two lol
vega275  +   692d ago
There's really no reason to hate if the split memory is the reason behind the issues. The blame goes to Sony for splitting the memory in the first place. All systems has their limitations when it come to certain games. This just so happens to be the ps3's
madjedi  +   692d ago
Would everyone attacking bethesda show me, another developer that makes open world games on any where near the same scale as bethesda's games usually are.

Show me this problem free game that can equal or best fallout, oblivion, skyrim ect and then i'll consider bethesda the worst dev ever, which seems to be the mentality of alot of posters here. Plz find this game if it even exists.

I can think of 1 off the top of my head although not in the same lvl, sacred 2 and maybe two worlds also, every other open world game is either alot smaller(infamous/gta) or cut in sections ie borderlands.

I don't get the hatred for bethesda's games on n4g. If it is because we(ps3) owners get the worst version, yeah it sucks. But the gameplay is good and the exploration is still unmatched with maybe the exception of uncharted's various incredible locations.

Bring out fallout 4 for the ps4 and i'll snatch it up day one. I buy games for my enjoyment not because they treat my platform the best. I would absolutely love if bethesda's games next gen weren't all buggy bastards, but i won't hold my breath either.
#23 (Edited 692d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
ipe  +   692d ago
nah, i love Bethy.

90h in skyrim on road to platinum, had only 2 problems, loading screen wouldnt stop from one area to another. so

90h, 2x problems.

I have had more headache with bf3.
numonex360  +   692d ago
It works the best on PC. I have had no problems with my XBox 360 version of Skyrim.
Mass Effect 3 performed much better on the XBox 360 than the PS3.
Omnislash  +   692d ago
All these great exclusive and multiplat games on the PS3 and bethesda still cant get it right....
unchartedxplorer  +   692d ago
I personally had no problems with skyrim. It was just the fact that I had a limited amount of saves that bugged me. Besides that, I only had experienced only one or two freezes and spots of lag in my many hours of gameplay

A Look at Bayonetta 2's Tag Climax Online Multiplayer

4m ago - Multiplayer has come to Bayonetta 2 in the form of a new Tag Climax mode, but how will it work? | Wii U

After Reset RPG Brings Hardcore, Sci-fi Action To Kickstarter

4m ago - One Angry Gamer "Black Cloud Studios has a brand new game in the works for PC called After Reset... | PC

Ace Combat Assault Horizon Is Free On Steam This Weekend

4m ago - GG3 writes: "One of the most spectacle-driven flight games ever, Ace Combat Assault Horizon, is f... | PC

Games To Try Before You Die: Battletoads (NES)

37m ago - WGRD writes: "This game is the bane of many peoples' existence. It it seriously one of the more d... | Retro

Start Making Games for the PS4