Submitted by Pozzle 852d ago | opinion piece

10 Video Games You’ll Never 100%

WC writes: People have been known to dedicate weeks, months, even years in some cases, to chasing that beautiful round figure – that 100%. It’s not only for bragging rights of course, completing a project, regardless of what it is, to know that you achieved something that others haven’t, is one of the greatest ways to experience deep satisfaction.

But sometimes, it’s not exactly as easy as simply making the commitment and seeing it through. More and more, games are being released that are designed to aggressively retain players after they complete the main campaign; to keep them playing well into the months, so that the publisher is able to keep wringing out cash from the title.

Sometimes this works well, but every so often this concept shoots itself in the foot. Sometimes, the 100% is just too ridiculously difficult and as a result, you’ll probably never even bother attempting to attain it. Here are just 10 of those video games that you’ll most likely never 100%. (Final Fantasy XI, Gears of War 3, PC, PS3, Street Fighter IV, World of Warcraft, Xbox 360)

TheMasterShake  +   852d ago
these are examples why there should be no Multiplayer trophies to begin with. no one likes every MP in every game therefore no one is gonna spend excessive amounts of time to get MP trophies to get platinums. for me one would be assassin's creed brotherhood i honestly wanted to get the platinum but im not playing ubisofts god awful MP to do that.

Assassin's Creed Multiplayer = Tom & Jerry

f*** that sh**
#1 (Edited 852d ago ) | Agree(17) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Pozzle  +   852d ago
I hate multiplayer trophies that rely on the player having to play/beat a certain amount of matches. Like "Beat 50 capture the flag matches" or "play 100 death-match matches". Not only are they usually silly achievements to begin with, but it's hard to get all the trophies if hardly anybody is playing the game anyway. That, and not everybody has a good internet connection to even play online.
#1.1 (Edited 852d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
TheMasterShake  +   852d ago
i Most definently agree with you on that. some of the ones i hate is when you have to max out the level cap to get a trophy, and ones like get all MP bonuses in one match or some stupid crap like that. i honestly think Trophies/Achievements should be completely single-player. the only MP game that has kept me engrossed for months was Uncharted 2 and even i couldn't get 100% because people have no damn clue how to play either team objective or Plunder >:| . another trophy that couldn't get was where you had to get 7 tripled metals. as most that play U2 would know thats not easy to do.
#1.1.1 (Edited 852d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report
StraightPath  +   852d ago
Caring too much for virtual trophies n achievements will lead you to be come a low lifer.
kanetheking  +   852d ago
not really it's just a annoyance like how you annoyed 15 ppl with your stupid remark good sir.
MrBeatdown  +   852d ago
I don't mind online trophies. Not everyone will like the multiplayer, but trophies should be aimed at people who enjoy all aspects of the game, not just a part of it. If someone doesn't like the multiplayer, there's other stuff to play. And really, if you don't like the MP, you should be asking the devs to make a better MP mode, not asking them to not require you to play it.

Trophies and achievements should be realistic though. Hundreds of hours of multiplayer is too much. 100% shouldn't be only attainable by those with way too much free time, or those who play the game religiously. You should be able to get all MP trophies by trying everything, and just playing what you like for a while.
#1.3 (Edited 852d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
Revolver_X_  +   851d ago
I love that games are exceptionally difficult to platinum. It gives trophy hunters like me a challenge. I have GTA4 and SF4 platinumed. Although Farcry 2 proved too time consuming. Not every game you will platinum. No reason to hate MP trophies. I think if you want 100% enough and have the skill, you will get it. MGSHD collection took me forever, but I finally got it. Im on MGS4 now, and I will get it. The harder the platinum, the greater the sense of accomplishment.
MrBeatdown  +   851d ago
Nice! I just finished up MGS4. I have MGS2 and 3, now I just need to get around to Peace Walker.

I got GTA4's too. I think the one I'm proudest of is MotorStorm: Pacific Rift. That one would actually rank you down if you sucked so getting the platinum meant you had to be damn good. I did all the time trials and basically memorized the best routes for every vehicle. I even had a spreadsheet so I could mark down my best times on each track to figure out which vehicle I was best with. By the time I got the platinum, I could do three laps on any track in the time my brother could do two.
DasTier  +   852d ago
Especially when the surveys are shut down.... Or they remove the only playlists on halo reach you could get the dlc achievements...
ninjahunter  +   852d ago
the hardest game ive come into contact of trying to get 100% was 3rd birthday, you could put 300 hours into that game and only get 70% and your progress only gets slower and slower.
eliteslaya13  +   852d ago
Just Cause 2?
HammadTheBeast  +   852d ago
GTA 4
NoobJobz  +   852d ago
That wasn't all that bad to get 100%. There were a few stunt ramps that drove me crazy but other than that it was fairly easy, just time consuming.

Edit:oops. Didn't know it meant all achievements. Just thought it meant 100% within the single player.
#3.1.1 (Edited 852d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
aliengmr  +   851d ago
Wondering when someone would mention that.

My experience was that there was a glitch and 1 water tower was missing. This was the PC version and I don't know if it was ever fixed or if it was just my problem. All I know is I was able to get to 99.98%.

Ended up having to get a map that read your save game file to find the missing water tower and it wasn't there at all. It took so long to find all the stuff in that game.
chela  +   852d ago
try Bad Company 1
Convas  +   852d ago
I have the full 1000G in Bad Company 1 :3
urwifeminder  +   852d ago
I like the online achievements better than singleplayer i dont play cod anymore as no multi achieves are in the game, it gives crap players like myself a reason to continue playing new medals and guns dont do it for me.
#5 (Edited 852d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
yeahokchief  +   852d ago
There actually was a guy (i forget if it was in taiwan or china) who at one point had 100% of WoW achievements with the help of his guild.

And I myself 100%'d GTA IV in 1 month. Multiplayer rank 10 took a solid week. I got pretty good at landing the helicopter and doing speed runs.

But yeah I gave up going for 100% on all my games starting with Street Fighter IV mainly because those combos that you're forced to learn aren't even useful in actual gameplay. Alot of the really showy technical ones aren't realistically going to be used or don't deal as much damage as the BnB combos.
#6 (Edited 852d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
iamnsuperman  +   852d ago
Nice list but please start reducing the page numbers. 1-3 should really be the norm for a list this size.

I hate multiplayer achievements especially the stupid ones. I can't remember but was it Killzone 2 which required getting in the top % to get a trophy. Trophies like this are just annoying especially when your so close to getting all of them
AWESOME_0  +   852d ago
Tough list, I've certainly never been able to 100% any of these. I dread to think of how many hours I put into WOW that i'll never be able to get back...
dragonyght  +   852d ago
what the list is missing is Warhawk and Wipeout those are MI
#9 (Edited 852d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
ShinraE5  +   852d ago
Great list !

I haven't maxed any of these though, as I don't see achievements that aren't fun on some level as worth my time.

But I know a few good buddies who have competed Gears 3, took them MONTHS of CONSTANT Gears 3. I love Gears...but I like playing other games also. No completion for me !
bubblebeam  +   851d ago
Gears 3 seriously is one of the worst. I have about 30 out of 65 onyx medals, and each onyx medal is a hard achievement in itself. The only way to get it is to eave your controller in a custom lobby over night for about 100 years lol.

Quake 4 had one that you needed to be top of the all time world leaderboard, which is insane considering ppl have glitched the leaderboard so they have billions of points (you get like 10 points a kill or something).
kanetheking  +   852d ago
you know what i find weird cod doesn't have that many online trophies
NoobJobz  +   852d ago
CoD 3 is the last I remember that had a fairly good amount. Since then I haven't noticed any.
soniqstylz  +   852d ago
Devs need to take notes from Naughty Dog, who included trophies for trying an online match, and trying a co-op match. That's it. Any other MP trophies came via DLC and weren't needed for a plat.
DEATHxTHExKIDx  +   852d ago
Good list usually I only go after 100% in a game if I really like the game and if the achivments add any replay value and seem within reason.
Roccetarius  +   852d ago
I actually got 100% on Gears of War 3 in a little over 3 months after release or so. That's not counting the DLC's they released, but i completed those as well.

2000/2000 done.
#14 (Edited 852d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Kurt Russell  +   851d ago
I have played it since it came out.. on about 500 g's hehe
jjdoyle  +   851d ago
100%s all them!
mochachino  +   851d ago
It also depends on what console you play them on.

On 360 in order to get that "completed game" stat you have to buy all the DLC also, whereas on PS3 you can get the platinum from the original game itself.

I was pissed when I got 1000 GS in Mass Effect 2 only to have it not count as full completion because I didn't buy and complete the DLC, insanity was pretty insane at times...it's actually why I like trophies more than meaningless fing MS points.

Android/iOS Dragon Knights Cheats: The Strategy Guide and Tips

23m ago - Dragon Knights Com2uS Cheats Coins: Guide, Tips & Strategy for Android/iPhone Game Rare Designs... | iPhone

The Last of a Dying Breed

24m ago - Wastelander75 writes: "Are “Professional” Gaming News Sites Even Necessary, or Relevant Anymore?... | Culture

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Review [Capsule Computers]

25m ago - Travis Bruno of Capsule Computers writes: "Before there were numerous iterations of Blazblue t... | PS3

The Beautiful Littlewitch Romanesque is Worth Your Time | Review (Twinfinite)

25m ago - Littlewitch Romanesque, though a visual novel, has universal appeal in its raising sim gameplay a... | PC

Front-end Developers Wanted

Now - Want to help us build the new N4G platform? | Promoted post

What Are you Most Looking Forward To In 2015?

44m ago - Is it a specific game? Consistent online connectivity? More Sequels? More innovative titles? | Culture